Code of Conduct

Default Amouage - Fate Woman

I've been wearing Amouage Fate Woman the past couple of days.

I said in another thread that Amouage hasn't reached its climax yet.
    Well they did back in the day , pre-oppressive IFRA days.
    Since then it felt like they've been struggling to recreate past recipes with unattainable ingredients.

But with Fate Woman,I feel it's a major step in a different path. It's the first major departure from the trend Amouage was in the past decade.

Fate Woman moreso than Fate Man.

I think the most prominent note I'm getting is a soapy(myrrh?) labdanum.

Thoughts?

I know it's been tried extensively by a lot on here.

Last edited by hedonist222; 3rd November 2013 at 10:40 AM.

for swap/sale:

Default Re: Amouage - Fate Woman

I have a sample somewhere, hedonist.
    Unfortunately, it never really sang out to me, despite a few tries.

Just sniffed it yesterday. Preferred Fate Man. But perhaps you need to wear it for longer to appreciate it more.

Sound Scents

I think I'll try my sample of this as my SotD. I have given it an early sniff on skin a couple weeks back and my first impression was like, but not love. That said, it was only a test of a couple hours and maybe today it can get a full wearing for a more complete and fair appraisal...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

One of the best releases of 2013. Finally they delivered something without those sticky synth dry woody bases they seem to have become very fond of. Grand stuff.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I've tried it only once, so definitely I need more trys. As for somebody else, it's like but not big love. To my nose, it is a very good, smooth spicy amber. Better than many of the recent offers, though I much prefer the old theatrical Amouages.

Perhaps my expectations were different. Turin gives it 5 stars and mentions Opium, so I was expecting a similar old style powerhouse. But this is not, it's much smoother and subdued. It lacks Opium oomph and clovey aggression.

I tried the masculine only very briefly, so i cannot say. I like immortelle, and that's the drydown there, but perhaps it felt a bit too simple.

cacio

I've worn it several times and I think it's superb.

Just gotta get round to picking up a bottle now.

I've also worn it a few times & more than liking it I'm totally thrown off by the artistic diversion.
    Apparently this is what Mr.Chong was referring to when he mentioned changes in Amouage's structure.

Let me put it this way, that signature Amouage accord that you've become familiar with in perfumes , particularly in the Opus series, is non-existent in Fate Woman.

Is this good?
    Yes, if you've been craving something new , completely new.
    It's always a show of confidence, strength & pioneering when a house deviates from their signature accord.

I applaud Amouage for this step into a brighter future.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I've tried it only once, so definitely I need more trys. As for somebody else, it's like but not big love. To my nose, it is a very good, smooth spicy amber. Better than many of the recent offers, though I much prefer the old theatrical Amouages.

Perhaps my expectations were different. Turin gives it 5 stars and mentions Opium, so I was expecting a similar old style powerhouse. But this is not, it's much smoother and subdued. It lacks Opium oomph and clovey aggression.

cacio

To me powerhouse means big, voluptuous, enveloping projection & trailing sillage.
    I get this from Fate Woman.

How do you perceive the term powerhouse?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    I think I'll try my sample of this as my SotD. I have given it an early sniff on skin a couple weeks back and my first impression was like, but not love. That said, it was only a test of a couple hours and maybe today it can get a full wearing for a more complete and fair appraisal...
    Looking forward to your review drseid.
    I can't quite put my finger on the base.

Feels like a myrrh,vanilla (dense, almost bitter vanilla) & labdanum.

for swap/sale:

Interesting, I don't get all that sillage. But then perhaps my nose was tired. Not that it was weak, but the Montales and Mancera in the store were overpowering this. Enveloping projection and trailing sillage clearly satisfy the powerhouse requirement. Further testing is required.

cacio

hedonist, do you get a smokey bokhoor note in the late dry down of Fate Woman? Like the smokey incense or oud they burn in the gulf countries?

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I've also worn it a few times & more than liking it I'm totally thrown off by the artistic diversion.
    Apparently this is what Mr.Chong was referring to when he mentioned changes in Amouage's structure.

- - - Updated - - -

Looking forward to your review drseid.
    I can't quite put my finger on the base.

Feels like a myrrh,vanilla (dense, almost bitter vanilla) & labdanum.
    Having now worn it all day I agree the base definitely has a good dose of vanilla, complimented by benzoin, IMO. I also agree this is not really in the same vein as the other Amouage offerings and it is nice to see some diversity from the house, but my initial thoughts from earlier held this go around as well... Like, but not love.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Thank you, Hedonist, for the update.

I will have to sample this.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Is Fate Woman really so different from Amouage? I'm not so sure, but I don't mean that in a bad way at all. It doesn't smell like Interlude Woman, but it wears similarly on my skin. I really enjoy it - especially the base. I get great longevity, and what it eventually evolves into on my skin is magical. Granted, it's excellent from beginning to end, but it seems to get better and better over time.

I thought Fate Man was superb, but I also found myself thinking "Do I really want to smell like this?" In other words, it's a work of art, but is it me? In the end, I decided that it wasn't. Fate Woman isn't exactly me either, but it's much easier to wear, though it has a richness and elegance to it that keeps it from being particularly casual.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    hedonist, do you get a smokey bokhoor note in the late dry down of Fate Woman? Like the smokey incense or oud they burn in the gulf countries?
    Not particularly. More of a concentrated vanilla, labdanum and a bit of benzoin like Drseid noted to sweeten it.

- - - Updated - - -

Christopher Chong:

In the final creation that expresses the end of the first cycle of the Amouage narrative, “Fate” for man and woman explores the uncertainty of the future and the universal principal by which the order of things is inescapably prescribed. In his latest conquest, Amouage Creative Director Christopher Chong proclaims a finale that parodies the force of the inevitable, veiled in the mysticism of the unknown.

“The philosophy of fate remains wrapped in obscurity,” says Chong. “I wanted to celebrate the power of mystery and end the narrative without a defined conclusion. Amouage fragrances have always challenged convention, and in tribute, the last story of our first chapter does not pre-ordain the characters’ fortunes but instead sets them free into the world, where their fate awaits them.”

With a floral heart deepened by a dark and destructive accord, resonating the tumult of the unknown, Fate for woman opens with spicy accords to set a mysterious mood of the unexpected. The base features a rich and forceful blend of Frankincense, Oakmoss and Leather.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Not particularly. More of a concentrated vanilla, labdanum and a bit of benzoin like Drseid noted to sweeten it.

- - - Updated - - -

Christopher Chong:
    When I told a friend that Fate Man was one of the worst fragrances ever created he suggested I try Fate Woman and described the dry down as the smell of burning oud or incense! Oh well, I think I will be disappointed again but I will still sample it.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    When I told a friend that Fate Man was one of the worst fragrances ever created he suggested I try Fate Woman and described the dry down as the smell of burning oud or incense! Oh well, I think I will be disappointed again but I will still sample it.
    Burning oud or incense is like saying this soda tastes like orange juice or strawberry juice.
    Apples & oranges, because oud wood smells like oud wood, then there are different types of incense fumigated here.
    Mostly frankincense or Somali Incense.

Neither of which make an appearance in Fate Woman to be honest.

- - - Updated - - -

Luca Turin

Awarded 5 Stars (Masterpiece) by Luca Turin
    “How time flies. It seems only yesterday (actually five full years) that Christopher Chong took over Amouage’s art direction and propelled this Omani firm, then known chiefly for its classic no-expense-spared Gold, into the first rank of perfumery. Chong is that rare bird, a natural perfumery art-director, who knows what he wants and will not give up until he finally smells it. In a recent interview with Style.com/Arabia, he said that Fate was a loud fragrance, so one expects a massively-built monster like the wonderful Ubar reissue in 2009. The surprise begins with the first puff from the spray: a fresh, radiant, powdery advance guard briefly fills the room. Seconds later, you are faced with one of the most intricate and beguiling fragrances in years. Nothing this big, complex and beautiful has been done since the first Boucheron. Though the top has a Guerlain-like appetizing feel, Fate borrows its core from Opium, i.e., woody-balsamic with an emphatic dose of the cool minty note that separates it from the merely warm, dusky Cabochard-Cinnabar style. Opium’s virtue was its novel, instantly recognizable tune, of which we eventually tired. But don’t let the reference put you off. Fate is to Opium what Mitsouko was to Coty’s Chypre: a transfiguration. The central structure is deep in there, now cloaked in a cloud of radiant dust borrowed from the unstructured opulence of Gold, plus—a brilliant touch—a dry, fresh cigar-box cedar note to guard against excessive sweetness. Loud? Possibly, but comfortably so, without harshness or distortion. Like very few fragrances, Fate delivers the rush of physical glee you get when you sit in the front row of the stalls and a great orchestra begins to play. Just don't wear it to supper.” – Luca Turin, Style.com/Arabia

for swap/sale:

The longevity on this was excellent (12+ hours) but sillage was quite low. I liked it a lot but was hoping for more volume.

Having only just dipped my toe into Amouage, perhaps my POV isn't terribly valuable, however, it happens that I am wear Fate Woman today, trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on at least a decant.

My findings are as follows. The spices in this one are stronger than all the others I've sampled save for Epic Woman which is quite spicy. I found it peppery after a few hours into the wearing, then, it moves into strong incense (not sure I'm thrilled with this stage as it seems a little strained) and now, about 8 hours, the dry-down actually reminds me of the dry-down of N'Aimez Que Moi, but with a faint hint of the spices still lingering. I think my favorite part is the dry-down. I've tested this one twice now so I'm sure it needs another test.

Is it shallow that I want it just for the bottle?

In my limited experience, it does still share the character and complexity of the other Amouages which I've tried (Dia, Gold, Lyric, Epic, Interlude, Homage, Ubar) all from the women's line.

Can this fragrance be considered unisex?

Why not?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by litworth View Post
    Can this fragrance be considered unisex?
    I find this one perfectly unisex.

Personally, would wear this one, whereas Fate Man, I would not consider wearing.