Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Garner James Sample Pass - Part 2

Our original thread is caught up in Huddler land, so I'm sending up a smoke signal to renew contact with my elusive pass-mates.

Who is next in line to receive these beauties?

Edit 12 Mar 14 lpp
    Some of the earlier thread is here
    http://www.basenotes.net/huddlerarchive/377035
    Last edited by lpp; 12th March 2014 at 12:41 PM.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Default Re: Garner James Sample Pass - Part 2

I know I am in line..but don't think I am next. Not sure who is.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

I am looking for it as well.

- - - Updated - - -

PARTICIPANTS so far:

1. knit at nite
    2. juanderer
    3 cello
    4. marleygirl
    5. RHM
    6. msgreeneyes
    7. easykiller
    8. danieq
    9. Schilling
    10.Genie Jeanie
    11. kalli

1. purplebird7
    2. Redhorse --> Canadian participants
    3. Trex57
    4. Katie Kaboom
    etc...

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.basenotes.net/huddlerarchive/377035
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

Basenotes Plus

Yeah…I PM'ed msgreeneyes awhile back but didn't hear from her.
    I'll send one more PM then jump to easykiller.

Well….the post I thought I sent to msgreeneyes actually went to greeneyes.
    Now, I'm getting an error message that msgreeneyes has elected not to receive private messages or I don't have permission to send private messages.
    Don't know about the former but the later isn't true.

Face palm!
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Yay! We are back in business!

Bumping this back up so it is not lost. I guess easykiller is next then?

Sorry I have been out of the loop. I could not get on Basenotes for what seemed like a long time. RHM: go ahead and mail them to easykiller.

Basenotes Plus

Ok….let me send a PM to them for their address.

Hi, all, how is it going?

Basenotes Plus

Pretty good….I sent the samples to easykiller. He should have them soon, if he doesn't have them already. thanksgiving holiday could have delayed things.

just a little nudge ..
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

That's right, I was looking forward to this pass.

Hopefully, you will be able to sniff these soon, Danieq!.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Hello All,
    Does anyone have any idea where our friend Redhorse went? The only search hit I get on her name brings me here, but her name is yellowed-out. All of my correspondence with her disappeared Very strange.

Looks like this died on easykiller. Danieq if you send over your address, I will send out some samples to continue. Happy New Year to all.

Wooznib, thanks for keeping the pass going -- so disappointing that it stopped abruptly. I hope easykiller will resurface at some point.

Yes, thanks for keeping the pass going Wooznib.

Uh oh, I sent my addy to Kalli, should I have sent it to wooziness?

Never mind, I got it sorted. PM sent to Wooznib. Thanks for making this happen!
    Last edited by danieq; 31st December 2013 at 09:14 PM.

To Wooznib and everybody waiting on me. Please accept my apologies.as I have had a death in the family along with a load of personal problems. It has been a horrible month. I would like to send these out so this pass can get rolling again. Please provide some guidance Thank you and once again, please accept my humble apologies.
    John aka Easykiller

(((Easyk))) sorry to hear, big hugs to you.

Quote Originally Posted by easykiller View Post
    To Wooznib and everybody waiting on me. Please accept my apologies.as I have had a death in the family along with a load of personal problems. It has been a horrible month. I would like to send these out so this pass can get rolling again. Please provide some guidance Thank you and once again, please accept my humble apologies.
    I'm so sorry to here this. I wish comfort and guidance for you and yours.

kalli and danieq,
    Thank you so much for your compassion and kind words. They truly warmed my heart in this dark and gloomy time.
    kind regards,
    John
    John aka Easykiller

What ever happened with this pass? Did everyone get through?

Haven't heard a peep.

Danieq, maybe you can update? Did you send these out? Or did you get them yet? Or was Easykiller supposed to send and didn't?

I never did get them Kalli. I believe Wooznib was going to send me a new set, but life had gotten crazy and it just hasn't happened.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

I just pmed Easykiller so hopefully will hear something back.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

Thanks danieq!

Hey all, I heard from Easykiller and he's going to ship the samples to me in the next few days so it looks like we can get this going again. Would whoever is next after me please PM me your address so I'll have it on hand?

All is well that ends well.

Good to hear, thanks Danieq!

The samples have arrived and I'm breaking them open. I'm struggling a bit with a cold, but hopefully I can do them justice. I can tell you that my first sample to try, at least upon beginning is Jupiter to Juno and it is favorable indeed.

So upon further inspection, I realize that I only have the following scents remaining in the pass

Jupiter to Juno
    Souk
    Cathedral in Flames
    Root & Resin
    Sinister Lavender

Not sure what happened to the others. Also, does anyone know what has happened to Garner James. I went looking for where these scents are available and his site seems to be down. Anyone know what is going on?

I believe his site is in transition of an update? Idk.

No Black Antlers in there? Bummer, that's a good one.
    Last edited by kalli; 8th March 2014 at 02:05 PM.

Black Antlers was definitely in there. Maybe it ran out? Bummer is correct, that is a good one. I hate that Huddler ate the previous info. on this pass!

Yeah, I went looking for it and it seems to be lost in cyberspace. Too bad.

I had placed a couple of my sniffing thoughts from the pass thread into the Sample of the Day thread last Oct. because I really liked some of these fragrances. Here is a cut and paste of two of them:

Garner James Jupiter to Juno

I really, really like this one. The citrus is strong and natural smelling, orange peel and oranges that are a tad too ripe, keeping it from being too sweet and clean And I love the use of vetiver in this, it seems to serve to green and woody this up just a tad, like a walk through the actual grove. This is a warm citrus fragrance, and I love the smooth transitions and the different smells I get as I pass through my day with it. Potentially bottle worthy to me. Longevity was about 6 hours, very close the last two, which I think is great for this type of fragrance.

Garner James - Cathedral in Flames

I totally get the name. To me, living in New Mexico, the tradition of burning sage to cleanse a home or body of any bad mojo is widespread. I could be wrong, but I imagine it originates in a Native American practice, brought forward by the "neuvo" people of the land. This is what this fragrance reminds me of - a nod to culture, tradition, ancient rituals, and, well, good smelling stuff.

A blast of herbs and pine open up, setting the stage. You are in the wild open land. Sage becomes very prominent, and the burning is represented by the incense. The ritual - calming and cleansing. Once complete, it warms up to a soft tonka end, feathery and relaxing. There is no burning fire of purgatory here, nor a picture of a burning "cathedral" to me. But instead, an illusion of an experience, a place, a time. But now forward to modern day. It smells like walking out in the vast desert scrub land after a rain and viewing ruins from times before. The smell of sage bushes all around. Whatever happened in those ruins is cleansed now, somehow, by nature herself.

Love this one!
    Last edited by cello; 8th March 2014 at 03:05 PM.

Well, shoot. My response never ended up on here. Sorry for the delay folks.

I've recently gotten caught up in a big project that will take some time from me. Danieq, please forward your samples along to the lovely Genie Jeanie.

I hope to smell Black Antlers one day, as those reviews sound GREAT!

Best wishes and thanks again to Garner James for his generosity and creativity.

Sincerely,
    Alex

Sorry to be a wet blanket here, but it's poor timing for me as well. I actually have samples from Wooznib & don't remember signing on here! Ah well, more for everyone else. On to Kali please. (I think you'll love Jupiter to Juno, Kali!)

Genie, I have tried it, you are right! I do like it! I haven't tried Root or Sinister out of the ones listed by Danieq. I was also wanting to try Sikar but I guess it got lost? Bummer.

Basenotes Plus

Sikar was a really good one, from what I remember, as was the unnamed new scent. It's such a shame that they disappeared from the pass.

I hope the posts that are in huddler limbo turn up soon(er or later) because I can't remember which ones I wanted to expose myself more to.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks, lpp! I almost posted that, too, but noticed wooznib already had.

It'd be a good idea to have it in the first post for easier reference, if possible.

Alright, I'll send these on to Kalli when I am finished. Unfortunately, I'm still struggling with this bug and so am taking longer than I'd like to give a proper sniff.

Ok, here are the first three. I have to say that these are beautifully blended fragrances and I hope that you keep working on your craft Wooznib. Truly beautiful scents. They aren't necessarily all for me, but they are wonderfully blended and very long lasting. (I woke up with Cathedral in Flames still singing His praises after 24 hours on my skin!

Jupiter to Juno : Opens with a bright orange zesty bite, but is quickly followed by orange blossom. Is there a hint of lemon peeking out as well? I can just see the juice bursting out of a beautiful ripe orange on this one. There is also a strong, crisp green feel to the beginning notes of this. Very well balanced, this feels like a wonderfully well made scent to me. There seems to be a substantial musky base to this. It's a really beautiful fragrance so far and I find myself wishing I could purchase a bottle after only wearing it for 15 minutes! This may be the best orange blossom fragrance I've experienced yet. The drydown for this definitely hints at the orange, but morphs into a beautiful musky skin scent. FB worthy

Catherdral in Flames: the very first opening notes remind me of an aquatic men's fragrance, but that seems to burn off very quickly (the flames I guess) as it moves to a citric musk feel. I can smell the sage, but it's so well blended that I had to work at it to discover it there, sort of behind the other bushes. As this begins to warm, it goes back to something reminiscent of a men's aquatic fragrance, but with the musk in the background. A very clean scent and one I'd think would be completely appropriate in most settings. It's not something I immediately love, but I absolutely appreciate how beautifully blended it is. This does remind me a bit of the way it smells outside after the rain.

Sinister Lavender : opens soapy lavendar with a bit of something a little sharper, perhaps lemon, certainly citric. This moves toward something both sweet and tart at the same time. I think I'm getting to know the GJ accord now. I'm finding that soft, musky base in each fragrance. At least I think I am. It rides below until the appropriate time and then leaves a lovely finish on every fragrance. This is a garden in the morning, while the dew is still fresh and glistening. And then back to that clean, soapy feeling. I find this one responds quite a bit to whatever else my nose is smelling at the time, seeming to change accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    Thanks, lpp! I almost posted that, too, but noticed wooznib already had.

It'd be a good idea to have it in the first post for easier reference, if possible.

Sure

Great descriptions danieq! Yes, I agree, he has made some wonderful scents, and Jupiter to Juno is one of my favorites also!

Hi everyone. Can I gatecrash for a minute? I was reading your impressions and I was delighted to remember that I had a little Jupiter to Juno, sent to me by an American friend in the good old days before the UK was excluded from the fun because of our postal restrictions. ( Grrrr.......)

So, I am wearing it now, and it is great isn't it? Yes orange to begin, but is there grapefruit too, and lemons? A slightly bitter bigarade? There is also something in the opening that makes me think of sherbet or sorbet, and in a little while there is a green note which I think might be petitgrain. After around ten minutes or so there is a little floral whisper, I'm not sure what, but the citrus holds it's ground and there is a lovely interplay between sharp and soft. Little suggestions of the base come through. It's a light base with lovely little soft notes. This is an uplifting and refreshing fragrance which can't fail but to make you smile.

So glad that you joined us Foustie! Your impressions of JtJ line up nicely alongside mine but you picked up even more nuance, so glad you shared them.

Our last three sniffers have bowed out so unless I'm mistaken, I am the last US sniffer. I've got two more to review, which I hope to do by tomorrow.

Danieq..did these go to Canada or do you still have some left for sniffing?

Hi Kalli, I have a little, but some are run out. I think I only have two left, but I have to look.

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Danieq..did these go to Canada or do you still have some left for sniffing?

You'll just have to be top of the list next time, kalli!