Code of Conduct

Default What makes a scent "challenging" for YOU?

Is it a particular note or accord? Sillage or projection? Longevity? A general feeling you get such as "dirty", "sweet" or "feminine"? Curious about what challenges you.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Default Re: What makes a scent "challenging" for YOU?

Very dense scents. An example is Potrait of a Lady. The scents that people in their reviews say "the scent wears you, not the other way around" lol. I have difficulty with these because I'm primarily wearing scents to work, and even beautiful scents can be a challenge if their over-potent. Montales have same effect. Even Chanel Coromandel or Sycomore.

I give both a positive and negative meaning to the word *challenging* depending on the context and notes involved. I'm positively challenged by anything animalic, abstract, musky or avant-garde.

I'm negatively challenged by woody-soapy rose notes, orange blossoms, huge doses of neroli and white florals in general with the only possible exceptions of certain tuberoses (Tubereuse Criminelle / Carnal Flower / Fracas) and jasmine.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I find most aquatics challenging, L'Eau d'Issey would be my poison.

But as Alfarom mentions challenging can also be used in relation to very animalic notes/scents. But in this case it is normally a positive aspect.
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Challenging is perfumes overdosed with certain notes that are generally not pleasant like galbanum, civet, musk, feces, birch tar & tuberose.
    Perfumes with concentrated doses of them.

for swap/sale:

In my opinion, it requires more than one answer, perspective, thought, idea etc. on this topic.

On one hand, I consider not just a particular note/notes family/scent category challenging, but almost anything that "strays off the beaten path" of a, let's say, top 10 (or 40 or whatever) of male, female, niche, designer etc. bestselling fragrances.

On the other hand, it does not even have to stand out as non-generic, unusual, experimental in the first place to be challenging for me. While aquatics, gourmands etc. are popular for both genders as of lately, a fragrance can belong to these note families, be manufactured/marketed/crafted by a comparatively famous house and still be challenging to me. Due to either reinterpreting a common notes family, a very familiar note in an unfamiliar way or being vintage/pre-reformulated and thus standing out for bringing a different interpretation to an apparently familiar style, product line and/or note and many other variables like that.

Blog Entries

For me, challenging means that there is clearly some sort of olfactory beauty - something created by the perfumer - that is fighting an uphill battle against components that are unpleasant or even off-putting. It's the olfactory equivalent of the art in Pulp Fiction.

Tauer Incense Rosé is an example of a challenging fragrance for me, where I can overcome the challenge. The rose and incense are very nice, but there is a fecal aspect that is difficult to deal with. And yet, if my mind holds out long enough to keep all the pieces in context of each other, a very beautiful combination emerges, and I am happy I'm wearing it.

Tauer Lonestar Memories is one where I get it, but ultimately cannot deal with the challenge, and the scent loses me. It's a beautiful smoky leather chypre, but the smoke is so acrid and the leather so raw and brutal, I can only admire it from afar. I have brief moments where I somewhat get it, but I am driven back by the sharp pieces, and ultimately say "not for me".

Challenging fragrances always leave me with powerful scent memories, whether they ultimately win me over or not.

I will wear anything in my collection but Tuberose is a bit challenging as a note for me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Aquatic/animalic notes can be very challenging for me.

Any fragrance that cannot be worn in most situations due to been too strong, floral,weird niche smelling (Serge Lutens I'm looking at you).

Vetiver...sampled Creed Original Vetiver on my wrist, could not get past the soapy note. Had to scrubb it off after 1/2 hour.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Fragrances that are overly smoky or smell like burning rubber or hot tar.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...erruti-TheVert

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

For me, challenging means the scent is something I enjoy yet have trouble wearing because it doesn't fit my personality or style.

Sombre Negra, by Yosh. It smells fantastic, but it's so brooding. I'm not a brooding sort of man. I love it, but I find it too challenging to wear.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Whenever a fragrance strikes me as compelling yet not readily wearable. MFK Absolue Pour le Soir, HdP 1740 and Dior Leather Oud are a few that came to mind.

Tuberose and civet. Especially civet.

I don't usually consider a scent "challenging", either it's appealing or unappealing to me

Regarding the unappealing, I find majority of "dirty" fragrances unappealing in a sense that I have a hard time believing someone would like to smell like that or being associated with that smell. The concept of being a little animalistic sound nice on paper but when a fragrance takes it too literally then it makes no sense

Take MKK by Serge Lutens, IMO, it's a dirty fragrance done right in the way that it takes a more abstract approach to the word dirty, you have a slight sweat smell but there are flowers and other things to cover it up and make it more artistic and pleasant. On the other hands, take the drydown of Gold Man by Amouage, it smells literally like some one who has not brush their teeth in months spits on you or Lonestar Memories by Tauer which smells like a combination of a dirty restroom and gasoline. I just cannot see the point of having those scents or even wear them in public

Quote Originally Posted by Wheatstraw2 View Post
    Tuberose and civet. Especially civet.
    I feel ya on the civet.

Checking this thread it seems to me 'challenging' could be replaced by 'don't like'?

One man's meat, etc......

In the early days, vanilla. Just seemed too fem. Did get used to it.

Later A*Men top notes, the burning plastic of Lagerfeld and the car freshener orange blossom of Altamir.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I give both a positive and negative meaning to the word *challenging* depending on the context and notes involved. ...
    Agree with this.

Positively challenging: animalic, abstract, musky, avant-garde, BIRCH TAR!

Negatively challenging: white florals, most rose, saffron (especially when combined with rose), soapy, powdery, amber-centric, AQUATICS.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Basenotes Plus

For me challenging means there's still hope but some notes are problematic or it varies per wearing (great, then something off).

Derby epitomizes challenge for me. Somtimes great, others rough. But I can't give it up - too much good in it.

Most notes appeal to me in different ways so I would say a soapy rose could be my downfall if I had to pick one. My biggest pet peeve is a great smelling fragrance that just doesn't go the distance. I feel I'm robbed for the remainder of the day. So longevity is a bigger issue to me.

Civet and to a lesser degree castoreum.

Anything fecal. I still can't figure out why someone would pay to smell like that, but clearly some people do. To each his own I guess.

But is it really a challenge if I run away from it?

Never smelled fecal scents in frags, and I will actively avoid anything described as such. Can't even see the appeal of such a thing.

Challenging, as in there's a slight possibility of it being worn because of other components, but probably not - calone (sneezy and stinky for a few minutes), heavy powder, cloves, iris, boozy, salty, tobacco.

Very little outside of that, but that's because most of it would fall under fecal in the "not even gonna bother" pile. Petroleum products, burning rubber, totally not-burning rubber, blood, seaweed, and a bunch of other stuff that stinks and is the impetus for showers for everybody else.