Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Stat rosa pristina nomine - Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Rubegon; l've just read a review of Phaedon's Rouge Avignon over at Olfactoria's Travels, posted on November 7th. lt sounds like a BS rose that's worth trying. l'd love to hear your take on this one if you get the chance to try it!
    Great thread again Rubegon and wonderful contributions. Thank you all so much.

(((Teardrop))) wore Rouge Avignon about a week ago. It is beautiful ......at first application it can be confusing as the raspberry is so evident. But after ten minutes the rose appears with the ylang ylang and thankfully never leaves. It's a real gourmand and the first time I have ever had a hint of truffle with rose(whch I thought would be a no go for me) but it works beautifully. The rose doesn't seem to disappear on me, but the dry down with the hinoki and sandalwood are just beautiful.

Am so impressed with the divine Pierre for this perfume. It's not shy at all, you only need two sprays of this, but very beautiful....be warned!

hugs

sea roses
    'When asked what dowry the spartan girl was providing to the noble spartan warrior marrying her, the poor girl said: "my fathers common sense" '.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Roses View Post

(((Teardrop))) wore Rouge Avignon about a week ago. It is beautiful ......at first application it can be confusing as the raspberry is so evident. But after ten minutes the rose appears with the ylang ylang and thankfully never leaves. It's a real gourmand and the first time I have ever had a hint of truffle with rose(whch I thought would be a no go for me) but it works beautifully. The rose doesn't seem to disappear on me, but the dry down with the hinoki and sandalwood are just beautiful.

Am so impressed with the divine Pierre for this perfume. It's not shy at all, you only need two sprays of this, but very beautiful....be warned!

hugs

sea roses
    Nice to see you here SeaRoses! Rubegon has done a lovely job with these threads hasn't he. He's helping me spend all my money! LOL

Basenotes Plus

Hello ((((((Danieq)))))

Yes Rubegon is doing a wonderful job.........making basenotes lovely and interesting!

Sadly I can't blame him for costing me money on perfume......I seem to be managing fine on my own.

Have a blessed Sunday lovely girl

searosesxxxxx
    'When asked what dowry the spartan girl was providing to the noble spartan warrior marrying her, the poor girl said: "my fathers common sense" '.

Blog Entries

hugs

sea roses
    Thanks Sea Roses! This one really does sound beautiful, & "not shy" is right up my street. Definitely going on my next sample order.
    Hugs back!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post

I've only briefly tested the chypre, but I have samples of all now. I found the Chypre to be completely different from PHI, but only tested each briefly. I think I'm going to do the Tauers all at the same time to compare them. Maybe I'll do that next. I'm getting a little bored of all the soliflores, to be honest. Maybe time to come up for air.
    Well I take it back. I think the first sample I got was mixed up. At any rate, tried the Chypre today and as you said, it's completely and totally different. Actually, something about the character of this reminds me of Amouage Epic Woman. Of course, now I want to know what was in the other sample I had. This one came straight from Andy Tauer so I'm going to assume it's true. The other was from Lucky Scent and smells entirely different.

I'm like you. I got Rossy and tested PHI and wasn't blown away. I need to give it a full wear though. I did get a nice holographic apricot in there for a moment.

What do you think of Rossy? I just gave it a quick whiff and liked what I smelt. Cool, modern, unsentimental. Strong. Bloody/metallic rose.
    PHI was great for the first five or ten minutes, I thought. But that's because I wanted the rose. The rose is beautiful at the beginning. I wore Une Rose Chypree yesterday and really enjoyed its warmth. Samples of that and Rose Vermeille are out and ready for testing this week...

And yes to Rossy. I still find it unsettling but I've enjoyed wearing it a few times over the past week or so.

You've got to try La Fille de Berlin!

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post

You've got to try La Fille de Berlin!
    Good idea!

Serge Lutens La Fille de Berlin and Rose de Nuit.

I'm testing these head to head - one on each arm. I'll full wear each one later in the week as well. I got decants of both of these. Both are the currently available versions.

I came in expecting LFdB to be a youthful, sweet fruity rose, and RdN to be the dark, sultry intimate one. That's not quite what I got.

LFdB is very appealing right from the opening. This is a BS rose I can get into. It's starts with a big sweet, rosé winey rose, that quickly darkens and gets denser. Within a few minutes it's a dark, rich magenta magenta rose with a sense of ripe, almost fermented red fruits. This is the ultimate dark, sweet, jammy rose. It stays that way for a while, gradually getting a bit dryer. After a while a green sappy element starts to come out, but its subtle, toning down the sweetness nicely.

RdN opens immediately as a fruity rose chypre, bright citrus and smooth earthy moss giving it range, with an intoxicating deep red winey rose in the middle. The chypre effect is very true to me, much more substantial than many of the new style chypres, and that gives it a bit more of a formal, airy feel than I expected. It's a bit like a sparer, less organic Jubilation 25. The transition to the heart is smooth and subtle - it loses a bit of sharpness and feels fuller, with a dense dark rose toned down by a tart chypric quality. A couple of hours in, it starts to get a bit woody/patchy, and loses a bit of it's charm for me.

Overall, I felt a little disappointed with RdN. I wanted it to feel less formal - more wanton. The vintage sample I have seemed more animalic and bolder - I'll retest later in the week and compare the 2 vintages to see how they seem in direct comparison.

I'll probably end up getting a bottle of LFdB. If I had to pick a favorite Lutens rose right now, that would have to be it (and it's only about $65!!! bucks online these days - how is that possible?).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Rubegon; l've just read a review of Phaedon's Rouge Avignon over at Olfactoria's Travels, posted on November 7th. lt sounds like a BS rose that's worth trying. l'd love to hear your take on this one if you get the chance to try it!
    Oh, no! Not another one! I'm already drowning in roses! ;-)

I haven't tested the Phaedon line at all actually. I like Pierre Guillaume, and find many of his scents to be very likable while still being unique. Rouge Avignon sounds great! I'll keep an eye out for it - thanks for the tip, teardrop!

A couple of others that are interesting - I have a partial bottle of Montale Highness Rose on the way!! And also a decant of Aerin Lauder's Evening Rose, which I tested today at Neiman Marcus and enjoyed quite a bit.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Basenotes Plus

Just popping in to mention that Mona di Orio's 'Etoile de Hollande' is not (to me) a very rose-orientated scent - light peach & aldehydes, heliotrope, many other things along the line but with only the occasional whiff of rose, despite bearing the name of a very fragrant rose.

And to danieq - apologies for not responding to one of your posts in all of the confusion yesterday - it was not intentional!
    Last edited by lpp; 18th November 2013 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    And to danieq - apologies for not responding to one of your posts in all of the confusion yesterday - it was not intentional!
    No worries at all. In fact, I'm not sure which post you are referring too. This place hops and it's easy to miss and forget which questions you may have asked/answered. All is well!

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Just popping in to mention that Mona di Orio's 'Etoile de Hollande' is not (to me) a very rose-orientated scent - light peach & aldehydes, heliotrope, many other things along the line but with only the occasional whiff of rose, despite bearing the name of a very fragrant rose.
    I looked into this one, largely because of what I heard about the flower. I lost interest quickly after reading a few reviews. Was this released posthumously? I think I read speculation that it might have been an incomplete composition that was in development when she died.
    Last edited by rubegon; 18th November 2013 at 08:44 PM.

Basenotes Plus

I looked into this one, largely because of what I hard about the flower. I lost interest quickly after reading a few reviews. Was this released posthumously? I think I read speculation that it might have been an incomplete composition that was in development when she died.

Yes, that does appear to be the case, Rubegon - mostly mentioning it here as it was mentioned somewhere in one of these threads as being on my sample list!

Basenotes Plus

Rubegon and anyone interested I posted this bottle of FdB in collections, but perhaps it is more relevant here.

My fiancé really struggles with Rose de Nuit and like myself loves *the rose scent* . For him there are only two that he finds outstanding...Une Rose and FdB! He doesn't get my Rose de Nuit at all.

Don't think you will at all be disappointed with a FB of FdB.

regards

sea roses

PB193532_2.jpgPB193522.jpgPB193513.jpgPB193531.jpg

I so much enjoy following this marvellous thread, rubegon! I can relate to your experience with Nahema, PdT. And Rossy de Palma went straight on my test list.
    Un parfum doit avant tout sent bon. - Guy Robert -

Rubegon and anyone interested I posted this bottle of FdB in collections, but perhaps it is more relevant here.

My fiancé really struggles with Rose de Nuit and like myself loves *the rose scent* . For him there are only two that he finds outstanding...Une Rose and FdB! He doesn't get my Rose de Nuit at all.

Don't think you will at all be disappointed with a FB of FdB.

regards

sea roses

PB193532_2.jpgPB193522.jpgPB193513.jpgPB193531.jpg
    You have one of the limited bottles of La Fille de Berlin?!?! That is insane!!! This one is gorgeous too. If I could have one of the limited bottles, this would be near the top of the list.

How did you get it, if you don't mind saying?

I'll probably end up buying both of the Lutens roses I don't have - they're both fantastic!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mia von trost View Post
    I so much enjoy following this marvellous thread, rubegon! I can relate to your experience with Nahema, PdT. And Rossy de Palma went straight on my test list.
    Thank you Mia Von Trost! I still haven't properly tested Rossy, but will get to it soon. That one and Rosam may be next. Unless Highness Rose arrives before then...

Blog Entries

Rubegon, l tried Une Rose today, all because of your wonderful description of it in your original post in part one of this thread. l've posted my impressions in the Sample of the Day thread, but l just wanted to say here that it didn't disappoint, & thank you for drawing my attention to it!

How are you getting on with all your many new samples?
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.