Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Thoughts on HdP 1899??

I thinks its awesome...1 of the best offerings from the house. What do you guys think?
    I was born to shoot guns and smell good doin it!

Shane "The Bopper" Stagg

Default Re: Thoughts on HdP 1899??

I own it and love it also. (120)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I've tested it a couple times and think it smells warm comforting. At first I smell some citrus then it gets vanilla + dry woods for a papery woody vanilla that leans towards powder. Stays warm with the amber base. I do get a sense of warm varnished woods in the base too. Definitely not a bay rhum like I thought at first.

It's a comfort scent. Is it in the L' Occitane Eau de Baux, Diptyque Eau Duelle, or Keiko Mecheri Saville spectrum of fragrance?
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 4th November 2013 at 01:22 PM.

It's great. I'm actually wearing it today. It's quickly become one of my favorite frags to wear.

On my list as my next buy from this great house. I'm glad for the positive reviews as I'm sure I will fall into the same category. i have really liked all of my HDP offerings.

Just in case anyone's interested in this one, or considering buying it. Here's my review (I know...reviews should be placed in the directory. I would have, but 1899 is not listed in the directory, so until then, a review for it can be found here).

This an excellent oriental that is easy to wear and keeps away from the typical pitfalls of so many in its genre. At no points is it heavy, overbearing, or excessively powdery. While it exudes a classy, quiet sophistication, 1899 is ultimately an amiable composition that avoids encumbering itself with an unnecessary sense of formality or ostentation.

It opens with a deftly balanced accord of juniper, cinnamon, pepper, vanilla and iris. The juniper is sweet and airy and sort of hovers over the top of the other notes. The iris, of the plasticky, lipstick variety found in Dior Homme, plays the background and provides a solid compliment to the spiciness of the cinnamon and pepper. The first couple of hours are sweet, airy, lively, spicy, and even aromatic. There is nothing dense or plodding about 1899, nothing oppressive or dull. It is enlivened with a particular light vibrance owed to the skill of its perfumer, Gerald Ghislain. It's a great way to start things off, and the quality of this composition is evident right from the start.

The opening accord persists for some time, and as the middle stages develop, a soft vetiver emerges and the vanilla moves more toward the front of the composition. The vetiver adds depth and serves to temper some of the sweetness of the base notes (vanilla, amber). This is where the fragrance finally rests, in a comforting accord of vanilla, amber, iris and vetiver. A day-time comfort scent; lively and sweet; cozy, but not sleepy.

This may easily be my favorite oriental fragrance. I find it so easy to wear at pretty much any time of the day. A lot of times, I find that rather than wearing orientals, orientals have a tendency to wear you if you're not careful. They can become oppressive, their opulence intrusive and overshadowing. That's never the case with 1899, and if you've been put off by orientals for the reason I just described, but like the idea of their basic structure and notes, this could be a great choice for you.

Longevity is very good, as I typically get anywhere from 8 to 10 hours. Projection is perfect, with about an arms length of radiance for the first 5 hours. Regarding gender, I would classify this as a masculine scent, leaning toward unisex.

In relation to Spicebomb, the sweetness of the opening accord is quite similar, and I understand why the comparisons have been made. I'll admit, it's the first thing that came to mind when I tried 1899. And both feature prominent cinnamon notes in their heart. But that's where the comparison ends. 1899 is altogether lighter, livelier, and stays on the side of florals and woods, whereas Spicebomb moves toward tobacco and leather. It also more sophisticated and well-composed than Spicebomb (which I've owned, and liked), in my opinion. They are really not that much alike in the end.

To summarize, 1899 Hemingway is a great offering from Histoires de Parfums that can be worn easily during the day or night. It features an excellent structure and balance of notes and may be the perfect fragrance for someone who likes their orientals on the lighter, more approachable side versus the denser, more formal.

Fantastic!

Just received this today and I have to say it's probably my best blind buy of the year. Definitely bears more of a resemblance to Spicebomb than Eav des Bavx. I haven't had a lot of experience with Spicebomb and I did read Buysblind excellent review above ... but my question is for anyone with experience wearing both, is it worth owning HdP 1899 and Spicebomb?

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321 View Post
    is it worth owning HdP 1899 and Spicebomb?

Thanks for the kind words, Ziffy.

To answer your question, I owned both of them. I had Spicebomb, and then I got 1899. 1899 rendered Spicebomb moot...for me. I sold it immediately. This seems contradictory to the last two paragraphs in my review, but it's like this: The overall impression is similar, however 1899 showed me what I was really looking for from a spicy, vanilla, cinnamon flavored oriental. I couldn't go back to Spicebomb afterward with the same appreciation that I had beforehand.

It's like the difference between a Camry and a Lexus. You wouldn't want to own both because it would be redundant, even though they are differrent in several (important) ways.

Wow! Busyblind what a great review. I am a huge fan of this house and Orientals such as this. So this will be a no brainer for me. Thanks again for your thoughts.

- - - Updated - - -

Well I just utilized Beauty Habits 20% off deal as it expires today on this Histoires 1899 Hemingway. This is a new offering from the house(2013) so I haven't seen many reviews at all on this one.

Thanks for the great review, BB. Sounds like a really nice fall/winter scent. I, too, cashed in on Beautyhabit's 20% coupon and treated myself to a small bottle of 1899 (along with Atelier's Grand Neroli!).
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

BuysBlind's review of 1899 above convinced me to buy a sample of this one, and I'm regretting it. I never buy blind, but I was tempted by this one and I should have jumped on the 20% coupon deal and snatched up a bottle. Good lord, this stuff is fantastic. I'm going to try to keep my enthusiasm in check until I've had enough time to give it a few wears, but my first impression is a wow.

Yes, yes yes, I get the Spicebomb comparisons, but 1899 wears so much better on my skin. There's a delicate richness here that I didn't get in Spicebomb. Sadly, although I'll want to wear my sample again tomorrow, since tomorrow is Thanksgiving, I don't think that'll work. Thanksgiving is obviously a day of being in rooms that are overflowing with wondrous food smells, and I suspect 1899 would get lost in that. Frankly, anything short of a bomb like Interlude Man would get lost in that... so I'll either not wear a fragrance tomorrow, or I'll go with something that borders on being a gourmand and let it get lost in all of that.

Aaaaanyway... back on topic... Thanks, BuysBlind, for turning me on to this one. It is excellent.

...any thoughts on the cheapest way to pick up a bottle? I may need to. REALLY.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 28th November 2013 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Oh holy moly, this stuff just gets better as it wears.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post

...any thoughts on the cheapest way to pick up a bottle? I may need to. REALLY.
    If you're not already, I would suggest getting on Parfum1's email list. That's where I got my bottle for 20% off. I'm not sure if you have to buy something there first or not but at least every other month or so, I get a personal coupon code for 20% off. Also got 4 of my Slumberhouse scents from them for the 20% off.

Awesome fragrance I wore it the other night at dinner and it really spoke to me. I have purchased quite a few fragrances this year and this is one of the best. Longevity is indeed very good as a smelled it before showering the next morning.
    Last edited by TNBLUEMIKE; 28th November 2013 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TNBLUEMIKE View Post
    Awesome fragrance I wore it the other night at dinner and it really spoke to me. I have purchased quite a few fragrances this year and this is one of the best. Longevity is indeed very good as a smelled it before showering the next morning.
    Glad you like it!

I agree, its definitely one of my favorite purchases of the year, and something that will get a lot of wear.
    "Mama used to bathe me in Youth Dew bath oil."

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Glad you like it!

I agree, its definitely one of my favorite purchases of the year, and something that will get a lot of wear.
    Thanks to you ol' buddy that review you composed and a 20 per cent discount sealed the deal. Perhaps it's the newness but I prefer it over 1740 and that's saying a lot coming from me.

Great review, BB! Does anyone think this overlaps with Eau des Baux substantially?

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    Does anyone think this overlaps with Eau des Baux substantially?
    My personal feeling is that it compliments it well.
    (926)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.