Code of Conduct

Default BN meetup in 2014, possible dates and places

So, San Francisco, Boston, Seattle and L.A. have been mentioned with a few interested in LA and Seattle it seems. If in the west(which I hope it can be more west..but we'll see how it plays out), members in the western area include: Whitefluffy, Mimi, Knit, Haunani, Cello, Cestrum Nocturnum, Socialwoman, deadidol, turquoisewater and Danieq. Not sure of others. So far, Quarry and Whitefluffy seem to like the idea of LA, possibly in February. CN will more than likely go to a BN meet up in LA cause it's close to her area. I prefer SF but am *thinking* of LA, not so much Seattle. I am not sure if I can do February but not totally closed to the idea. Though, a couple people like Seattle, including annweir. Matildaben is from Seattle and would be happy to show people around but likes the idea of LA also. Kiliwia is ok with any place mentioned thus far, I think. I am not sure who mentioned Boston, sorry! That's all that has been mentioned thus far...I think.

Any suggestions? Ideas?
    Last edited by kalli; 7th February 2014 at 04:41 PM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Default Re: BN meetup in 2014, possible dates and places

I think that someplace relatively warm in Feb. would be nice. I have not been to L.A., Boston, or Seattle, but I love SF. Not even sure if it's possible at this time, but I would love to come to a meet- up!

The idea was floated of LA in February because Quarry is already going to be there for some other reason. We should probably make sure she'd be able to take a day or two out of her previously planned activities to hang out with us.

LA would be absolutely perfect for me! I can drive there! And I'd love to meet up with you folks! Seattle sounds nice, but I won't be able to go there in February, but I might be able to swing LA, it being driving distance and my having a cousin I can visit in San Diego as well.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Hiya, gang. My schedule should be flexible enough to move things around. Don't let too much hinge on me. I've had an open invitation from cousin to visit her in California for over 30 years. A month, give or take, won't make a difference.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

That's good to know, Quarry. A month later might give some of us a chance to save up for the trip a bit more. Like the end of March? Or sometime in April? Idk? And that's around tax return time, so it may or may not help a few of us. Hopefully, returns will be on time, without too big of a delay... Anyone else care to throw in their hat for dates/times/places?.

Danieq, San Diego is such an awesome place! If I had a cousin there..I'd wanna impose myself or try to, pretty often. Looking for excuses to go. Like cousin: "I may go to Sea World tomorrow". Me: Could you wait a few weeks and we can go together? I mean, you DO want your cousin with you, right?" LOL.
    Last edited by kalli; 4th November 2013 at 05:42 PM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

March or April definitely works better for me than February. But if February is the month, I will try my best to make it.

Thank you for starting the thread, Kalli!

Yes, later is better for me. I'm still trying to recover from having my entire house re-plumbed this past Sept. Next up is the electrician...

Usually they are in October or November. I think 6 months between meetups is a bit intense - 1 year is better.

That's an interesting point. Though, some of us couldn't make it to this last one in October..or the one before in Vegas.

So does March/April work for most you guys or do you wanna do it even later? Is LA sounding good for a lot of you guys? Or somewhere else? LA seems to be getting the most votes so far.

Anyone else wanna comment? RHM? Cello? Knit? Or anyone else?

Any other ideas?
    Last edited by kalli; 7th November 2013 at 09:43 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by matildaben View Post
    Usually they are in October or November. I think 6 months between meetups is a bit intense - 1 year is better.
    I agree with Matildaben, they have usually been in the fall, which is probably best for me. Also, you need a person who is willing to take on the responsibility of setting everything up, with the stores and coordinate everything. Quarry put in endless hours making the Chicago trip a success.

One vote for SF.

Ok, I'm already excited for this, wherever this lands.

I'll put in a vote for LA, since I've never been there and have only TMZ to thank for any pre-conceived notions. I feel like it deserves a 2nd chance.

My vote is for autumn, as my nose is still recovering from our Barneys Blitz.

MikeP, get your a*s on-board, this time.

Mimi? Would you be available in the autumn? Or are you busy doing your yoga tours? Perhaps early autumn/late summer would work for you? Like August/September? Or earlier?
    Last edited by kalli; 7th November 2013 at 10:00 AM.

I'd be happier if it were later in the year as well. Doesn't have to be fall though, for me personally, but I am flexible. It'll depend mainly on how often I'm going to visit my grandbaby, which is completely up in the air at this point.

I'll be in New York in late June/early July 2014. If it happens around that time I will make a side trip to whever you fragrant lot are and join you

Basenotes Plus

Hi! If it's in CA, I'm in except I have plans in May for a once in a life time bucket list trip to Greece.
    My 2 cents is that SF has regularly scheduled 1 day sniff events- usually spring and fall and they are extremely enjoyable. I have yet to go to a BN meetup in LA, though so having one would be super great.

What would be the MAIN event? Scent Bar seems the logical choice.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    Hi! If it's in CA, I'm in except I have plans in May for a once in a life time bucket list trip to Greece.
    My 2 cents is that SF has regularly scheduled 1 day sniff events- usually spring and fall and they are extremely enjoyable. I have yet to go to a BN meetup in LA, though so having one would be super great.

What would be the MAIN event? Scent Bar seems the logical choice.
    I didn't know Basenotes scheduled sniff events in SF in the spring and fall. How could I find out when they occur?

Well, Mimi didn't answer here yet but I do believe she is busy in the fall usually with her yoga stuff, feel free to correct me though!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Curly11 View Post
    I didn't know Basenotes scheduled sniff events in SF in the spring and fall. How could I find out when they occur?
    I could be wrong but I don't think she meant Basenotes has events in San Francisco. I think she meant ones like this http://sentsmemory.wordpress.com/201...ith-s-f-sniff/ and there are other blogs that mention it also.

queen of the universe

I'm voting for fall and Seattle or San Fran. So far, my hip surgery should be in may or June, so travel before fall is out of the question.

Q re: LA: is it possible to get around sans car? I don't like driving in unfamiliar cities, and driving in LA seems to be a high-skill sort of undertaking.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Basenotes Plus

jujy,
    LA- which is not so much a city as a bunch of neighborhoods interconnected by freeway, IMO really needs a car to be experienced properly, IMO. There is a metro system in some of the key areas now, though. While I would not hesitate to take the subway in NYC or Boston, just because it's efficient and cost effective, I have become accustomed to the cocoon of the personal vehicle in LA traffic, and parking is not THAT bad.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    I could be wrong but I don't think she meant Basenotes has events in San Francisco. I think she meant ones like this http://sentsmemory.wordpress.com/201...ith-s-f-sniff/ and there are other blogs that mention it also.
    Thanks for the link. I'd love to visit SF again!

- - - Updated - - -

jujy, I'm with you on driving in large unfamiliar cities.

Somehow I think I may be on a bi or tri annual track, not annual. But I will observe with interest and delight as plans unfold...
    I have plans to be in Chicago in the spring again for art related reasons - would consider low key, though fragrance centric connecting with basenoters if the stars align.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    I have plans to be in Chicago in the spring again for art related reasons - would consider low key, though fragrance centric connecting with basenoters if the stars align.
    Rene: please do let the Chicago BNers know when you'll visit in the spring. I would love to see you again!

- - - Updated - - -

My preferences . . . definitely autumn (Sep/Oct). I like the idea of LA because in addition to meeting new BNers and seeing again the lovely people I met in Chicago, it would be an opportunity for me to visit the Getty Museum (art being my first passion). But I am wary because I don't want to rent a car and drive. Would the main frag attractions in LA be located near each other, short cab rides away? But Seattle and SF also appeal to me.

Looks like people are leaning towards LA in September-ish. I wonder if September would work for Mimi?

Update, Mimi said LA in September would work.

Looks like LA in September works for most people?

Good point, K, Quarry did a fab job planning the last BN meet-up..so, yes, we would need someone to plan this one as well.

So, sounds like LA in September BN meet up? Now we would just need to pick the dates. Weekends I am assuming works for most.

In 2014 there are the following weekends:

Saturday and Sunday September 6th and 7th
    " 13th & 14th
    " 20th & 21st
    "27th & 28th
    Last edited by kalli; 13th November 2013 at 10:36 PM.

I would think that if we are well coordinated, we could rent a mini van together (or two, or three depending on numbers) and have enough confident drivers to do the deed. I'd be surprised if cab rides would be desirable as Western cities tend to sprawl quite a bit, but I could be wrong about that.

Quarry said she will be going to LA in March and not returning soon after that.

So March or September? Looks like most would like September though.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Hiho, gang. I think I’ll be heading to California in March only, but I thought this would be a good time and place to post some memories about the organization of past BN meet-ups. If I think of more hints, I'll edit the following post.

(1) Firstly, ours is not an official Basenotes event. That would only be one organized by our fearless founder, Grant. However, he has kindly let us use his company name as a reference when we tell shopkeeps that we meet in his forum. So far, I think we’ve represented Basenotes very well, and I admonish everyone to keep it that way.

(2) There is no charge for our meet-ups, but plan meal costs accordingly. For the first event I organized in Chicago for 2007, I pre-arranged our meal and asked everyone to split of the total, including tip. Somehow, that didn’t work out, and the difference came out of my pocket. In most contemporary settings, food court arrangements are ideal. That’s how our 2010 Boston group and our 2013 Chicago group dined. For our 2011 New Orleans get-together, dining wasn’t an issue as the French Quarter made grazing easy, whether we ate en masse or in splintered groups.

(3) Group lodging: I’ve never been able to pull it off. I’ve had hotels tell me they will give a discount for a certain number of lodgers, but every attendee tends to have their own agenda, preferences, budget, travel affiliations, and will likely prefer to make their own plans.

(4) Scheduling and comforts: Post your itinerary online and take advantage of GoogleMaps to give everyone a sense of direction. That way, if someone gets caught in traffic, they will know where and when to catch up with the group. Provide your cell phone number so you can respond once everyone is in motion. Scout out restrooms for both comfort and arm washing.

(5) Locations and transportation

New Orleans’ French Quarter was especially easy. Lodging, dining, shopping, and every tourist pleasure are within walking distance. Streetcars and cabs are plentiful. Served by Amtrak.

Chicago’s Magnificent Mile accommodates walking, but it did rain on us in 2007. Bus, subway, commuter trains, taxis help connect the dots. Served by Amtrak.

Boston’s major shopping area is walkable. Colonial Drug requires some transport planning. Neil Morris will usually make himself available. (ComDiva, Brielle, SommervilleMetroMan, Chaya, Pomander, can speak to this more authoritatively than I.) Served by Amtrak.

Las Vegas is built for conventioneers. Mike and Matildaben can relate their own experiences with this venue. Served by Amtrak.

Portland, Oregon: The Perfume House. A wonderfully weird city and an exceptionally cool perfume shop. Easy transportation everywhere except the Perfume House itself. Served by Amtrak.

DisneyWorld: We haven’t yet used this venue for a meet-up, but I want to put it out there because there is a full-blown Guerlain shop along with well-stocked French and Italian pavilions within EPCOT. Additionally, this is the sort of place you can bring together a large number of people and know you will be accommodated in every regard. Orlando served by Amtrak; Disney provides connections when you stay at their resorts.

No-Name Venue, Basenotes Retreat: If you’ve been involved in one of our well-attended events, you know it can be overwhelming in the nicest way. However, we might have just as nice a time if we met in a less metropolitan setting. If each attendee brought samples of some of their favorite or oddest fragrances and some new-release samples, we could sample and talk in a civilized way in a town where the cost of a stay could be much less.

New York: I figure this is Sniffapalooza territory, so I refer you to that outfit.

IMG_2341.jpg

(6) What to expect from the shops: Reception can range from champagne and canapés to just a handshake. Both Saks-Boston and Sak-New Orleans have pulled out the corks for us. The owners of New Orleans’ Bourbon French Parfums and Hové Parfumeur showed us extreme hospitality by inviting us into their behind-the-shop courtyards laid out with food and drink. If your group numbers fewer than ten, you wouldn’t need to contact shops in advance, but larger numbers will be better served when the shops can plan for adequate staffing. Let shops know what time to expect the group and how long you plan to stay (usually about an hour, depending on range of products). Let them know we will be chatting about our experiences online, and smart hosts will recognize their opportunity for positive publicity by being extra generous.

(7) Plan a space for general congregation and collapse and conversation when all the shopping is done.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

...and that is how it's done! what a comprehensive list - great tips, Mama Quarry! I love the idea of a low key meeting, too - the sample swaps seem to be such a highlight!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

You never cease to amaze me, Quarry! Thanks for those tips! I like the idea of meeting in a less metropolitan location as well.

I can say with relative certainty that I won't ever be able to make a meet-up in November -- work is just too crazy for me by then. October is also rough because it's birthday month (3 step-sons, mom, sister), but if I could swing anything at all, it would need to be earlier in the month. October, however, is much better than November.

May, June, and September would tend to be the best months for me. And I'll go anywhere. Especially if there's a Barney's. I do love me some SF, NYC, and Boston. Scent Bar has always been on my fragrance Bucket List, and I've not made it yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    No-Name Venue, Basenotes Retreat: If you’ve been involved in one of our well-attended events, you know it can be overwhelming in the nicest way. However, we might have just as nice a time if we met in a less metropolitan setting. If each attendee brought samples of some of their favorite or oddest fragrances and some new-release samples, we could sample and talk in a civilized way in a town where the cost of a stay could be much less.
    I find this idea incredibly appealing.

Well, it looks like September is best for people! ((ExtremeK)), nice to see ya!!

It looks like LA and SF have the most requests...but Scent Bar seems to be what people want overall.

I'll attend if it's in Boston or NYC (not sure if that one was mentioned), but obviously, don't base this on me.

Please please some day come to the east coast.
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

I have just visited SF for three days, I loved it, and very easy to get around. I would love to go back.
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Blog Entries

I just saw this and may be able to clarify. Years ago, I used to put together unofficial meet-ups of Basenotes members in San Francisco (here's a link). Then, I met Tama from CaFleurBon, who was doing something similar with her facebook perfume group, so we hooked up and did a couple of large meet-ups.

Then, I stopped doing planning and became an attendee of the SF Sniff events, which have corresponded with the Artisan Fragrance Salon in SF for the last couple of years (here's a link for that).

SF is always fun because we have a lot of local fanatics and the stores and perfumers love us. Even with no planning, the sniffs are fun, but when we plan ahead, they can be pretty amazing.

If you guys end up doing San Francisco, I'd love to attend, and would be able to help out in the planning if anyone is interested, just because I've done it before, if that helps.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Can I suggest that the OP set a date and place and see how many can come? It seems like September was the consensus month. I would love to go to Scentbar but I am thinking that SF would be much easier for people to get around. There is so much around Union Square. No car needed. I would be happy to assist rogalal in planning as I am in the Berkeley area also.

Ya, I was thinking maybe a more certain time/date be set. It does appear September works for most and I think it's about split on whether it's L.A. or S.F. Though, it does look like we have a couple that are willing to do the planning...so? Idk?

Well, I waited a while and there were no other suggestions but I counted and S.F. got double the votes of L.A. so, I guess it's S.F. I guess I will pick a random weekend of the 19th, 20th and 21st in order to sticky and see how many people can come. Feel free to offer to change the dates..also, if anyone is willing to do planning, that would be cool too. I know very little about S.F. except the hilly roads are a pain and hotels are pretty darn pricey from what I hear. If you are coming, perhaps say from where(if you want) for carpool ideas, etc

Thanks!

Should I start another thread and ask for it to be stickied then? For an S.F. meet up? I guess so?

Have a great time all

Please refer to this thread for further details
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/376...9-19-9-21-2014