Default Re: S.O.T.D. - Monday, 4 November 2013

Idole de Lubin.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Blog Entries

Morning all!

Ghost again for work today.

Have a good week, everyone!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

L'Ambre des Merveilles for me this morning.

Basenotes Plus

Good morning all !. Hope everyone is feeling refreshed after the weekend and those who have been ailing are ready to take on the world again.

SotD is Neil Morris Clear.

Hello all.

Cyprien by Fragonard
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Hello everyone -

I'm back in '32 for ballet this morning ...I'll try not to make such a strict habit of it again, but I really missed it!

Y'all have a great day!

Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Re: S.O.T.D. - Monday, 4 November 2013

Good Morning everyone. Wish you all a lovely week

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Trussardi Uomo this morning
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Good morning! School is off today and tomorrow (they do this each year the week of Election day-- teacher meetings.)

We are back to more normal temperatures for fall but the sky is clear and sunny-- a nice day for a drive to the orchard a few towns away, perhaps. Daughter has a ton of homework but a little break might do her good later on.

SotD is Brin de Rťglisse, from samples.

Hello all.

Cologne ŗ la Russe
    by Institut Tres Bien
    DONNA

Good morning!

In Chanel with Evangeline, No.5 (current EDP) for me. I put on my vintage costume pearls with a beige crewneck, and it's cool enough today that I got to wear my new navy tweed coat with the brass buttons to work...although it's all Banana Republic, I am feeling quite Chanel-y!

30 Roses, going to the orchard sounds like a great day!!

Had a great weekend, went to the Whirligig Festival on Saturday, where we enjoyed some deep-fried Oreos (YUM), watched a bunch of Freaks and Geeks on DVD, which I'd never seen before. Jay was right - I loved it! I didn't post SOTDs this weekend, so here they are: Hiris for the festival, 28 La Pausa for lounging at home Saturday night, Noir de Noir for last night: dinner out followed by catching up on The Blacklist on the couch.

Evangeline, sounds like you had an amazing weekend with some great concerts! I was catching up on the weekend's threads as I had my first cuppa joe this a.m and loved reading about the shows. I love that you wore the same scent from your first Cure show to see them this weekend.
    Last edited by ErinK; 4th November 2013 at 01:18 PM. Reason: obsessive compulsion

Hello lovely people!

I'm currently sporting the wonder that is L'Heure Bleue PdT.

Hope you all have a good day.

Eau Des Merveilles by Hermes

Quote Originally Posted by ErinK View Post
    Had a great weekend, went to the Whirligig Festival, watched a bunch of Freaks and Geeks on DVD, which I'd never seen before. Jay was right - I loved it! I didn't post SOTDs this weekend, so here they are: Hiris for the festival, 28 La Pausa for lounging at home Saturday night, Noir de Noir for last night: dinner out followed by catching up on the Blacklist on the couch.

Evangeline, sounds like you had an amazing weekend with some great concerts! I was catching up on the weekend's threads as I had my first cuppa joe this a.m and loved reading about the shows. I love that you wore the same scent from your first Cure show to see them this weekend.
    Thanks Erin - they were all so fantastic! Wearing the same perfume is something I always just end up doing, since I always remember what I wore the first time, then I think why not wear it again, so it just works out that way. Now, that was my first time wearing Coromandel for NIN, but I did wear Knowing for my first Pearl Jam concert (over 20 years ago - eek! I'm always shocking myself with the facts, lol!) so that was also a deliberate repeat.

Glad y'all enjoyed your weekend - you sure smelled great for it! You look and smell wonderful today, too.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Last one for the day. Bois de Óles for bed. Listening to Nabucco this evening, on a big Verdi kick. Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves a big favourite. Might actually get some sleep tonight.

ErinK looking and smelling fab, Chanel No. 5 is one of my all time favourites.

Guerlain Cuir Beluga.

kalli, to answer your question in a word -- No! There are different ways of going about travels, cooking and renovations. See #17 of this today's thread.

Good afternoon.
    Nombril Immense in a rainy, rather cool day

Best to all
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Goodness, I see myself doing that same thing, saying...'that was 20 years ago'...here and there. Goodness! I know the feeling.

Btw, I didn't go off topic for very long, nor did I intend to. I said a few things but was done after that. I'll try to incorporate perfume more into the posts.

No. 5 EDP.
    Last edited by kalli; 4th November 2013 at 01:46 PM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Good morning, good smelling people. Tom Ford Black Orchid for today. Dabbed, not sprayed. Pretty and very grown-up smelling.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Gandhajalaís on BN sabbatical? Frowny face. Will focus on how great it will be when he pops back.
    Belated best wishes to 30Rís mom.
    Kalli, a Chanel bottle sent through the mail in just an envelope? Blows my mind.
    Oh, Jon, what am I to do with you and your photos? Architecture, farmers market, perfume shop, restored locomotives. I could get lost in the details of any of those photos, right down to the molecular levelóthe materials, the biota, the history, the colors, the presentation. Mercy.

Just transferred some Marni from a splash mini into an atomizer in hopes that spraying will bring out Marniís best qualities. This mini is a ComDiva cast-off (thanks, hon). She and I hovered over the Marni bottles at Nordstrom/Chicago and, smelling it again, she said, ďMaybe I do like Marni.Ē But then she tilted her head and reconsidered after smelling something off-putting. For me, the detraction hits right at those top notes: I smell Pine-Sol cleaner every single timeóbut scant minutes later, I am in heaven, giving myself over to the sort of scent I canít usually handle: Itís spices and rose, in the spirit of Opium, but with some sweetness, which I need to make the spices palatable. Then the scent fades a little faster than average. Still, I think Iím hooked, so I consider this a part of my wardrobe now.

Unreasonably detailed treatise on attempts to purchase Bond/Mothers and over thinking:
    Teardrop, Xscent, Mike, Danieq, ExtremeK ó You are absolutely right to give me a shove. Analytical calisthenics are beneficial when designing two- or three-dimensional layouts or structures, which I do for work and pleasure, but I need to know when to shut down the analysis. Firstly, I will point out that I really wanted to buy the Bond in Chicago. When I look at my Mitsouko bottle, I remember the meet-up in Boston; when I look at my bottle of Rue Royale, Iím back at our New Orleans meet-up. Bondís pink star flacon isnít especially attractive to me, so that has caused hesitation, but I could see the 50ml bottle tucked into my wardrobe display. The 100ml bottles, on the other hand, that they had at Nordstrom were the size of my whole outstretched palm! Puh-leeze. Okay, so Plan B, obviously, would be to buy one online at the best price. (Although I still juggle that with other thoughts, factoring in tangential things like, I haven't been able to complete the application process for healthcare-dot-gov; I don't have health insurance; I donít know what insurance is going to take from our monthly budget. But I just blocked that out of my mind and went shopping online.) I spied a brand-new bottle of Bond/Mothers on ebay for a buy-it-now price of $90 plus $5 shipping. Giving myself a kick in the butt, I hit "buy" on Saturday., Thus, I reason, I've saved $10 off the purchase price and am not paying sales tax as I would have in Chicago. So, happy ending, no? No. Today I get a message that the seller is canceling the sale because the item is out of stock. O.h, c.o.m.e. o.n. a.l.r.e.a.d.y! (Presently working on Plan C.)
    Bond Mothers.jpgďMehĒ bottle
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Don't you just love that when that happens, Quarry? Oh, btw, it's outta stock. Nice.

Ya, I know, right? No bubble wrap..just a thin, paper envelope. I was like..'that better not be my No. 5!!'. I was surprised it made it like that. Especially, with all of the USPS restrictions.

I do find that the white ring that goes around the caps of some of the Chanels with the CCs on there..seem to crack and flake off. Anyone else have this problem? And my two Chanel bottles that have this ring(or had it LOL) are legit perfumes, not fakes, I believe.
    Last edited by kalli; 4th November 2013 at 02:42 PM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Blog Entries

SOTD - "Montaigne" by CARON

The German firm AusLiebezumDuft is now e-mailing customers that instead of 2 free samples with an order, they will - during pre-season Christmas shopping - give 6 samples. Well and good. Their samples are really of nice quality, better than the tiny ones from LUCKYSCENT.
    So I treated myself (one must be good to one self) with Amouage - Gold - body lotion. Nevertheless, the software of www.ausliebezumduft.de is not set up to get those 6 samples with the order, and I had to e-mail them separately about this.

Is this speech perfume related? (It was me who mentioned not enough OFF TOPIC space.)

My son ran yesterday in NYC Marathon and came in after 4 hours 18 minutes. The last 4 miles were pain. Things happened in a blur. Those athletes are so committed that they would crawl to goal. Many ran for a cause. The funny thing is that we reset the clocks the night before for adjustment to standard time, but inadvertently set the clocks one hour ahead, instead of back. So, in the middle of the night, Anthony realized this and we fixed it. Lack of sleep already and now this. (This reminds me of the Seinfeld episode, "Jean-Paul, Jean-Paul" ...)

Don't me get started talking ... I will now shut up.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

I like that Caron, Ursula. A good one. I know, the Luckyscent ones are sooo tiny! I wish they did like really cheapo shipping. Or free, every once and a while even better. I put a soap and two tiny samples in my cart..and the shipping costs were 8.95. I didn't check out.

Wow, that's quite an accomplishment, a marathon! Running for about 4 hours? I really can't imagine!

Basenotes Plus

I'll add my bit of chatty & frustrating.
    My beloved sister is driving 45 minutes to St Augustine so our Mom can have the hardware removed from her ankle. This is the same hardware that was put into her June 16th to stabilize her broken ankle. It's also the same hardware the MRSA infection has attached itself to and just won't go away.
    Poor Mama, poor sister taking care of Mom 24/7 since June.
    Lordy, lordy, say a novena.
    And…..here I am over 1,000 miles away & can't help.

"Frustrating" doesn't begin to cover it.

I'm going with Elizrj's "Kick Ass" fragrance, Bandit, body wash, body lotion & parfum.

Don't anybody mess with me today. I'm taking my glitchy Macbook Pro in for repairs…..again. Hate this thing! Never, ever again will I buy Apple anything.

Other than this…I'm fine, yep, just hunky dory.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Basenotes Plus

Hello everyone, SOTD is L'Artisan Parfumeur Bois Farine.

Wish all a smooth start to the week.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

(((RHM)))) hugs to you, sweetie.

I know, I find Apple products to be overpriced, pieces of junk that fall apart. No more for me either. My hubs had two Ipods that just fell apart like nothing. We now have Creative Zen players and they are so much better quality players..nothing falling apart...way better than Ipods and cheaper too, a lot cheaper. We got the cheaper players that Zen offers and they work pretty good! No complaints. Would never ever get an Ipod or spend the kind of money Apple charges on their junk.

I haven't sniffed Bandit yet.

L'Occitane Pivoine Flora EDT. Was sent to me in a MUA swap I think and most of it leaked out before I had a chance to unwrap package. Totally okay with that because as it turns out, top notes don't work for me AT ALL, though it gets significantly more pleasant as it warms up. When Grant switched to Huddler and we no longer had access to star system I switched to writing up pretty thorough notes about my wardrobe items so I'd remember whether I liked them and why or why not, which of course disappeared along with most of the stuff from Huddler platform. I know Grant is trying to reconstruct a lot of that info. In the meantime, I can't find a way to write up private notes on wardrobe items now that we've gone back to old platform. Anyone know how? If so, PM me?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    My beloved sister is driving 45 minutes to St Augustine so our Mom can have the hardware removed from her ankle. This is the same hardware that was put into her June 16th to stabilize her broken ankle. It's also the same hardware the MRSA infection has attached itself to and just won't go away.

I'm sorry for you all that this is still going on. Has her fractured bone healed in the intervening months, or will they need to fuse her ankle after removing the hardware?

kalli. thanks for understanding and a pat on the back for doing great job with your posts.

bogsc, sorry about that. I will look into personal notes, OK? Please hang on there.

Hugs to RedHotMama and mama and sister.

Royal Apothic hand cream in Orange Blossom and Violet. Excellent does not begin to cover it!

Obsession <3

Back to the bottles!!! I know my self impossed rule was silly, but I feel sort of satisfied that I, for the most part, stuck with samples only during October. I finished approx. 25 little vials or spray samples, and feel better for having sorted through the whole lot. And I found a few very interesting fragrances.

But...now I am back to my beloved bottles, and will scatter a few samples in here or there.

Chanel 31 rue Cambon to start off this week.

Blog Entries

@ RHM (Red Hot Mama)

Hugs to you. And these little words (famous, and not from me) -

God grant me the serenity
    to accept the things I cannot change;
    courage to change the things I can;
    and wisdom to know the difference.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Basenotes Plus

Ursula, I agree about AusLiebezumDuft - their samples are of the highest quality, as is their customer service. Congratulations to your son on his achievement in New York . I have managed a couple of half marathons but have grave doubts as to whether I could go the full distance.

(((RHM))), sorry to hear about the ongoing family situation. I do hope things begin to settle down soon.

Kalli, Apple don't float my boat either - I'll take my cheaper android Samsung over the IPhone any time.

Joining Robin this evening - Black Orchid.

(((Mrs Q))) because I feel like it and you're worth it

Oh dear RHM. Sorry to hear that.

Cello, well done in your little exercise. I tip my hat to you.

Well, VC&A First today. Onda Extrait and EDP, this evening. All from samples.

Keiko Mecheri Cuir Cordoba

SOTE
    Puig - Agua Lavanda

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Unreasonably detailed treatise on attempts to purchase Bond/Mothers and over thinking:
    Teardrop, Xscent, Mike, Danieq, ExtremeK — You are absolutely right to give me a shove. Analytical calisthenics are beneficial when designing two- or three-dimensional layouts or structures, which I do for work and pleasure, but I need to know when to shut down the analysis.
    I do hope you manage to find it for an even better price, dear Quarry! And as to the analysis paralysis, I understand, having a husband who is a Mechanical Engineer with a severe case!

Ugh, so sorry that you are having to watch your Mama suffer. Prayers for healing post haste and comfort for you as you watch from afar.

Basenotes Institution

Hello My dear Fragrant Friends ! Hugs !!!!!!

This morning I am slathered in Violette Fumee by Mona di Orio.

Also
    Primrose and Jon- I have cleared my inbox !

Twolf, Not to worry. I'm patient! I know moving between platforms isn't an easy thing to do. Hey...I just noticed that you are now a moderator! I'm betting congrats are WAAAAAY over due. I'm not the most observant...

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Hello My dear Fragrant Friends ! Hugs !!!!!!

This morning I am slathered in Violette Fumee by Mona di Orio.

Also
    Primrose and Jon- I have cleared my inbox !

Mims, your inbox is still being temperamental and insisting it is full
    Maybe try clearing some more and I'll try later and see what happens ? xx

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Mims, your inbox is still being temperamental and insisting it is full
    Maybe try clearing some more and I'll try later and see what happens ? xx
    Hi Jon- how weird ! I cleared out more than 50 messages a day ago .

APOM pour Homme.

Hello,

If you'd like to post any 'inbox bugs' on the 'Bug Forum' we'll deal with them when we can!

(Another one of those sentences I never thought I'd write.)

Blog Entries

Evening all,

Erin, we are big fans of The Blacklist in this house, too. James Spader is memerising in it!

Q, so sorry to hear your good deal went awry! l too wish you better luck finding a better deal.

(((RHM)))

Robin & Jon, you smell delish!

Wearing Samsara this evening, the one l wear after an especially stressful day at work.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

queen of the universe

Still jonesing on Amarige. I expect the EPA to show up any day.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

I'm in Tom Ford Cafť Rose this afternoon.

Basenotes Institution

I'm going with Elizrj's "Kick Ass" fragrance, Bandit, body wash, body lotion & parfum.

Don't anybody mess with me today. I'm taking my glitchy Macbook Pro in for repairs…..again. Hate this thing! Never, ever again will I buy Apple anything.

Other than this…I'm fine, yep, just hunky dory.
    (((RHM)))

Also I am thinking of 30 Roses and her Mom . Many hugs to your Moms and to you as well.

I have layered Violette Fumee with No 5 EDT . Love the combo .

Hi all. Today is Jul et Mad Amour de Palazzo, last night was Majda Bekkali Tendre est la Nuit (new sample from Luckyscent).

This morning when I was looking through my shoeboxes for my Jul et Mad decants, I was kind of blown away by how many samples I have, especially samples I have not tried yet. I should probably do something like Cello and do a samples-only month so I can wear through some of these.

Basenotes Plus

Many thanks for all your good wishes! Mama came through the surgery very well. Her doctor said her bones are very strong & they cleaned everything really well.
    30R, I don't know if they had to fuse her ankle or not. I'll talk to my sister later tonight & see if she knows.
    They said she'll be "fitted with a boot" but I'm not sure how that works with a healing surgical site; particularly as MRSA has been a problem for her.

The Robert Piguet Bandit was absolutely perfect for today. No a** kicking required at the Apple store, they just fixed it at no charge. I'm sure it was the Bandit.

Tonight's fragrance is LUSH Gorilla Perfume Breath of God. Notes are: Neroli, lemon, melon, jasmine, rose, vetiver, sandalwood, cedarwood, amber, musk. Perfect for tonight!
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Officially, I'm wearing Bal ŗ Versailles, ala Michael Jackson and Liz Taylor, but last night I put my new perfume info to use and mixed this up from the Perfumery Notes Kit;

1 drop Bergamot
    3 drops Jasmine Grandiflora
    3 drops Bulgrian Rose
    3 drops Habanolide (musk)
    10 drops Galaxolide (musk)
    10 drops Sandalwood

I'm sure I don't have the proportions right yet, it has no projection or sillage, but it smells fairly good.

Decided I needed a bit of skanky musky jasmine. In Nuda for Melbourne Cup celebrations. Now where did I put my champagne?

image.jpg

image.jpg

RHM glad to hear your mama came through surgery well.
    Last edited by Xscent; 5th November 2013 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Had too much champagne

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Vintage Tsar tonight
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Myrrhiad tonight. Found the decant while looking for something else.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

RHM,
    Coming through surgery well is half the battle at that age.
    The boot, I expect, will be a walking boot to protect the joint as it continues to heal. It's in place of a cast.

happy is the bleu heart<3

I'm back from my trip ... I'm wearing my new Chanel no5 today, a purchase made while in St Martin. I had heard that there is a difference in the Chanels made in France and the Chanels made in New Jersey ... I had it in my head that I wanted the no5 from France. I haven't always done well with no5, but in my old age, it seems to be working well for me. (Speaking of my trip, it sort of feels like I cruised through the Bermuda Triangle and ended up in a timewarp BN.)

hugs to all ... I missed you!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Matildaben, I am with you on sampling -- let's! When do we start? (I sort of started last week, with about 7 new to me scents worn). Who do I send leftovers to? LOL No, no, seriously.

Royal Apothic Orange Absolue -- pretty, in the vein of LAP FdO, only with better longevity. Tons cheaper!

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome back, shades! Congratulations on the new acquisition.

Cracked open Tom Ford's Amber Absolute for evening--the first time I've worn it this autumn. Ah...my amber hg! And now discontinued...