Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    You don't have to blind-buy it. It's available to sample from Essenza Nobile or First in Fragrance.
    And where are these stores located? Because if folks are talking about the Bergdoff store, that's located in New York City. And if they don't have it in stock and only for sale online, that would be a blind purchase for anybody not in Europe or near the two other aforesaid stores (which, I'm not sure has stores in the US).
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by litworth View Post
    Aren't they both outside of the US? I don't understand why they can't make samples available within the US without us having to pay $40 for 2ml as with those entities outside of the US. Especially if it will be available at NM online, why not just have an avenue for samples to be purchased within the US? It's inconvenient and the reviews so far have not been good enough to compensate for the inconvenience. I've moved on to better things since my initial interest in this relaunch....they botched the roll out, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    And where are these stores located? Because if folks are talking about the Bergdoff store, that's located in New York City. And if they don't have it in stock and only for sale online, that would be a blind purchase for anybody not in Europe or near the two other aforesaid stores (which, I'm not sure has stores in the US).
    Yes they are based outside your own Heimat, along with 95% of the world's population. I have ordered many samples from various countries and continents, including your own, but I am not easily swayed by a handful of reviews and prefer to make up my own mind, once my interest is piqued.
    Currently wearing: Habit Rouge by Guerlain

To each his own. The reason there are only a handful of reviews (most of which have been negative) is because of the extremely limited distribution. Most people aren't going to go out on a limb, especially for an unproven perfumer. What else has Fontaine produced that would warrant me going out of my way to smell his stuff? People from outside the US that are going out of their way to smell fragrances that are limited to the US are probably doing so because the associated perfumer has some sort of positive track record, or the perfume has ALOT of positive reviews - neither of which the relaunched Patou has in its corner at this point.

The early reviews have not made this a slam dunk blind buy for me. It isn't even said to be that true to the original! I will not step out on the limb for this one, and of course, no one is asking me to. One of these days it will make it to the US for counter sampling. Maybe in time for NEXT Chistmas.
    Currently wearing: Voyage d'Herms by Herms

Anyone have an idea about how many bottles may have been produced for this batch? That would be really interesting to know !

Smelled this in Dusseldorf 2.5 weeks ago and it was nice but imo not worth the money they asked for it. There are so many better frags you can get for this money. (never smelled vintage)
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Acqua di Parma: Colonia Leather
    - Loewe: Esencia
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Revillon: R
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Ferrari: Essence Oud
    - Knize Ten
    - YSL: Kouros (Fracheur)
    - Dior: Aqua Fahrenheit

It's now showing up on Nieman's website with an in-store sku number that can be given by phone to a customer service person at your local store to check in store availability.
    (1790)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Link seems to be invalid.

(2381)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Sorry. I think it's working now... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:L:LCA:US:1123

I've seen a review that describes this as having a chocolate vibe. Is this true? I never did like Hanae Morae (SP?), the original with that austere coco vibe going.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I've seen a review that describes this as having a chocolate vibe. Is this true? I never did like Hanae Morae (SP?), the original with that austere coco vibe going.
    I disagree with "chocolate." It's herbacious and very resinous in its base notes.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 31st December 2013 at 06:18 PM.

I had heard that but I never understood where that "chocolate" reference came from either.

(2387)

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I'm having a really hard time figuring out what it would smell like. There has to be a scent or two that it bears a strong resemblance to, just for comparison's sake. I am really in the dark on this one.
    Dunhill Blend 30 comes really close. See Dry Martini's review of Dunhill Blend 30. He is spot on, with his description of Blend 30 being a slightly greener version of Patou Pour Homme. I have the vintage PPH and Blend 30 in my collection and find the similarities remarkable.
    The downside is....Blend 30 has also long been discontinued and is almost as rare as PPH....
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare extraits available, including Djedi and Nombre Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Dunhill Blend 30 comes really close. See Dry Martini's review of Dunhill Blend 30. He is spot on, with his description of Blend 30 being a slightly greener version of Patou Pour Homme. I have the vintage PPH and Blend 30 in my collection and find the similarities remarkable.
    The downside is....Blend 30 has also long been discontinued and is almost as rare as PPH....
    Thanks for trying, David!

I just posed this question about Creed 1849, now I want the same information about the new Patou Pour Homme:

Is the reissue a year around scent, or is it best suited to a particular season? Are you guys wearing it much in the winter months?

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I just posed this question about Creed 1849, now I want the same information about the new Patou Pour Homme:

Is the reissue a year around scent, or is it best suited to a particular season? Are you guys wearing it much in the winter months?
    Sorry Chuck to give basically the same answer I gave for the Creed, but I had secured samples of this in July from the boutique in Paris and wore it in the summer. later in the fall when I made the bottle purchase and plan on wearing it in winter in the upcoming weeks, so for me once again a year round scent.

(3414)
    Last edited by hednic; 25th January 2014 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Sorry Chuck to give basically the same answer I gave for the Creed, but I had secured samples of this in July from the boutique in Paris and wore it in the summer. later in the fall when I made the bottle purchase and plan on wearing it in winter in the upcoming weeks, do for me once again a year round scent.

(3414)
    Thanks anyway! I'm torn between the Creed and this as my next monthly purchase. I must choose wisely and I want something I can wear right away.

I have come to the conclusion that yes, Vintage Patou Pour Homme is the best fragrance that I've ever smelled. I recently acquired a mini that has not turned and it is just great. It's as close to perfect as I've ever experienced. It has it all. I'm surprised that some independent small company has not attempted to duplicate this yet. Contrary to what I posted earlier in this thread, I purchased a sample of the reissue and it is in route. I'm really hoping it scratches the itch for me, and I'm thinking my experience may be better than others' because I'm going into it expecting it to be something different from the original. I have 2 questions for basenotes:

1. For those that have experienced it...is it worth it when considered on its won merits? Would you think it is a great perfume, on its own merits?

2. I've read that Kerleo attempted to recreate the original in 2011. Where can I get a hold of that? Is it still available to be purchased?

For those that have experienced it...is it worth it when considered on its own merits? Would you think it is a great perfume, on its own merits?
    IMO - Yes & Great No. However Good - Yes.

2. I've read that Kerleo attempted to recreate the original in 2011. Where can I get a hold of that? Is it still available to be purchased?
    I don't think it ever was. Probably just some prototypes / work in progress samples.

I got a sample this today. I was just too curious not to, despite what I previous said. I think it's pretty good, and I do see similarities. I realize that fragrance and smell is a very subjective matter, but to say this smells nothing like vintage Patou Pour Homme seems like a stretch to me. To me, there are clear similarities, in all phases of the fragrance, just as hednic mentioned. It smells like they did their best at recreating patou Pour homme given the restrictions today, and the scent itself is pretty good to me. This is the closest thing to vintage patou pour homme that I have smelled. There are others that replicate the feel better, like Monsieur Carven, but in terms of smell alone, this is the closest thing I have smelled to the old patou.

I got a sample this today. I was just too curious not to, despite what I previous said. I think it's pretty good, and I do see similarities. I realize that fragrance and smell is a very subjective matter, but to say this smells nothing like vintage Patou Pour Homme seems like a stretch to me. To me, there are clear similarities, in all phases of the fragrance, just as hednic mentioned. It smells like they did their best at recreating patou Pour homme given the restrictions today, and the scent itself is pretty good to me. This is the closest thing to vintage patou pour homme that I have smelled. There are others that replicate the feel better, like Monsieur Carven, but in terms of smell alone, this is the closest thing I have smelled to the old patou.
    Glad you like it.

Last edited by OPomone; 25th April 2014 at 08:32 PM.

Cool Re: Patou pour homme reissue

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Hi Red,
    I am one of a few PpH fans who actually prefer the aftershave. Why ?.....the edt is wonderful stuff, but incredibly rich and heavy. Beautiful to smell from the bottle, but hard to wear. I have the same problem with other scents of this genre such as Lancetti Uomo. Beautiful, but heavy. I also have the same problem with Yatagan. So I find the after shave a fantastic alternative.
    Tonight I tested a single spray, (by the way the after shave also comes as 90ml atomizer, as well as in splash format).
    My single spray on a test strip is now 4 hours old and still very "smellable", with plenty of sillage when I waft the strip.
    The after shave is still incredibly rich and complex. I would personally describe vintage PpH as the best mens floral ever created - and it carries Patou's characteristic seal of highest quality ingredients. The perfect balance of woods and florals with no accord dominating makes Patou pour Homme the masterpiece that it is.
    I don't wear PpH very often, because of it's rarity and "specialness", but after tonights rekindling I would really suggest going for the after shave. You won't be disappointed. Just make sure you find a seller who has it in it's original sealed box.
    I am willing and open minded enough to give the reissue a fair chance, ( I should be getting a sample soon), but I think to get the original formula PpH in after shave form is a very good option.
    Interesting. Where on the www do they sell the edc, (aka aftershave?) I can only find the Prive in edc/aftershave, not the PpH.
    Much obliged, David.

Cheers,
    Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post
    Interesting. Where on the www do they sell the edc, (aka aftershave?) I can only find the Prive in edc/aftershave, not the PpH.
    Much obliged, David.

Cheers,
    Mario
    If you'll come across the bottle that says "Cologne" it's not an aftershave, but a full-blooded, thoroughred EDT. Jean Patou targeted the bottles that went to American market as "Cologne". Because the word used to sell better there at that time for mens fragrances.

I'm not aware of EDC which might be the same as aftershave.
    Last edited by df91; 29th March 2014 at 02:34 PM.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Signature: Rochas Macassar (Nicolas Mamounas / Roger Pellegrino, 1980)

Current Top 7:

Chanel Antaeus (vtg) (Jaques Polge, 1981)
    Terre d' Hermes EDT (2006-2009) (Jean-Claude Ellena, 2006)
    Green Irish Tweed (Probably Oliver Creed / Pierre Bourdon, 1985)
    Eau de Rochas Pour Homme (Gilles Romey, 1993)
    Bleu de Chanel EDP (Jaques Polge, 2014)
    Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme (vtg) (Max Gavary, 1994)
    Chanel Allure Homme (vtg) (Jaques Polge, 1999)
    Currently wearing: Terre d'Herms by Herms

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DolceThaDon View Post
    Yup, it is ridiculous how most sales person's in the fragrance industry dont know a damn thing about the fragrances they sell .. Half of them dont even know what a reformulation is...
    My view also. There are the exceptions to be sure but a working knowledge should be the norm for SAs rather then the exception. As I have said before I blame management for allowing ill-trained SAs to represent the store (and the fragrance industry by default).
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha

For those that have purchased the reissue, how would you rate the projection and longevity? The sample that I had was only 2ml and it smells great on the top, but seemed to dry down to a skin scent fairly quickly. It's the only thing holding me back from making a purchase. Also, for those that have noted similarities between this to Aramis Devin, which do you prefer?

For those that have purchased the reissue, how would you rate the projection and longevity?
    Speaking only for myself, projection and longevity are very good on my skin.

Thanks.