Code of Conduct
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 225
  1. #151

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by HankHarvey View Post
    Why didn't you just say that before? That was a sensible and measured statement, and now I understand you better. Thanks for clarifying that.
    Well, that's one reason for my blog, that is, these things need to be "worked through," and you don't necessarily think about them unless someone asks you questions that get you thinking along different lines. This is similar to something one person asked me on my blog yesterday. The issue related to giving him an idea what a scent (Club Man/Azzaro) was like, particularly the wood and musk. I didn't fully realize it until then, but if I'm not in the mood for a scent, then it's not a good idea for me to assess it, because there's a good chance I will have a more negative impression than when I feel that I am in the mood. That possibly being the case I want to wait until I am in the mood to wear it again before being more definitive in my assessment.

  2. #152
    Dependent RedRaider430's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,475

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey View Post
    I finally managed to test the re-issue recently and can say with confidence that this is a solid attempt to reproduce the original. As soon as I sprayed it on, there was no doubt that it was PPH. Obviously, it is not 100% identical to the vintage... with the changes in regulations and rare ingredient availability, this would be impossible. However, given the challenges, I think the effort is solid.
    I am quite familiar with PPH, too, and one explanation for me not smelling any similarity to the vintage PPH is that my sample from Essenza-Nobile may have gotten mixed up somehow. That's always a possibility, but I wouldn't think too likely.

    After reading the posts on all 4 pages of this thread, I see numerous others who have also been very unimpressed with the reissued PPH. I have not done a tally, but just from reading all the posts, it seems as though there are more people who DON'T like the new PPH than like it.

    If it was really a close match, there should be a clear majority of people who like it, but that's not what I'm seeing.
    Basenotes sales: By Kilian Straight to Heaven, Heeley Coccobello, Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Bond No. 9 Hamptons, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Essence de Cerruti, Balenciaga Ho Hang Club, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...ciaga-SAMPLES!

    Offsite sales: By Kilian Straight to Heaven, Heeley Coccobello, Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Tom Ford Noir de Noir, By Kilian Prelude to Love, Bond No. 9 Hamptons, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Essence de Cerruti, Balenciaga Ho Hang Club, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

  3. #153
    david's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cote dAzur
    Posts
    2,845

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey View Post
    I have been wearing Patou Pour Homme since the 80s.
    For many years it was my signature weekend fragrance and I have exhausted a number of bottles.
    I still have a quantity of vintage juice that exhibits the usual PPH ageing characteristics (ie. the brightness of the top notes is faded).
    Therefore, I feel I am somewhat qualified to give an opinion in this thread.

    I finally managed to test the re-issue recently and can say with confidence that this is a solid attempt to reproduce the original.
    As soon as I sprayed it on, there was no doubt that it was PPH.
    Obviously, it is not 100% identical to the vintage... with the changes in regulations and rare ingredient availability, this would be impossible.
    However, given the challenges, I think the effort is solid.

    When I read posts stating that the re-issue is unrecognisable as PPH, I just scratch my head.
    I do not have an expert nose, but for me it is at least 80% similar to the vintage, which is enough for me to scratch the PPH itch.
    When my vintage stash runs out, and if I still want to wear PPH, I would happily wear the re-issue as a substitute.

    The problem with vintage PPH is that the bottles are unsealed.
    The 90ml spay bottle allowed you to unscrew the pump so that you could refill the bottle.
    The 60ml and 120ml "splash" bottles were actually used to refill the spray bottle.
    This means it is just too easy (and tempting) to refill vintage glass and sell it to anyone silly enough to pay the ridiculous prices asked on eBay.
    I have seen photos of "vintage" PPH EDT that are far too "orange" to be the real juice.

    So if you think the re-issue smells nothing like your "vintage" PPH, then your "vintage" juice may be fake, or has badly turned.
    Alternatively, your nose may be honing in on the notes that are different, rather than the notes that are unchanged.
    My nose is certainly honing in on the similarities.

    In summary, the re-issue is quite faithful to the original... and I can't wait for all this "vintage hype" on Basenotes to finally end.
    The sky is not falling Chicken Little.
    Respectfully, disagree with you on this. Sorry. My nose is certainly no better than yours that's for sure. This thead prompted me to give both yet another parallel testing on the skin and on blotters. I had three non-fragrancefreaks, (that's a toungue twister for sure !) round for brunch and asked for their opinions. All of them perceived two completely different fragrances after smelling the new version along side the old.
    If I change my opinion, (which could happen) I certainly will report back on this thread. I respect your differing views, but to my nose there is no similarity whatsoever.
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare extraits available, including Djedi and Nombre Noir.

  4. #154

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    I am quite familiar with PPH, too, and one explanation for me not smelling any similarity to the vintage PPH is that my sample from Essenza-Nobile may have gotten mixed up somehow. That's always a possibility, but I wouldn't think too likely.
    After reading the posts on all 4 pages of this thread, I see numerous others who have also been very unimpressed with the reissued PPH. I have not done a tally, but just from reading all the posts, it seems as though there are more people who DON'T like the new PPH than like it.
    If it was really a close match, there should be a clear majority of people who like it, but that's not what I'm seeing.
    I agree that many people are claiming zero similarity to vintage PPH and are dismissing the re-issue to the fragrance graveyard.
    Their evidence seems to be a comparison to some "vintage PPH" sample they received from a website or eBay.
    How many people who bought and wore fresh PPH in the 80s have actually stated that the re-issue has zero resemblance? It is unclear to me how many of the "clear majority" fall into this category.
    Like I have said, the re-issue is not identical to the vintage. However, anyone who has worn the vintage (in good condition) and is truly familiar with it will easily recognise the re-issue as PPH.
    IMHO, it is close enough to scratch the itch if you want to smell PPH.

    One of the reasons why I finally felt compelled to call out the claims of "no similarity to PPH" is that they are potentially damaging.
    After so many requests from consumers, the owners of the brand finally re-issued a version that is quite faithful to the original - which is extraordinary given the new regulations and rarity of ingredients today.
    I am getting the impression that brash, incorrect statements (incorrect in my opinion) that the re-issue is nothing like vintage PPH are turning off Basenoters in droves.
    They simply dismiss it as rubbish before they even try it because of posts by people who never experienced fresh PPH in the 80s.
    This could lead to the re-release being a failure and PPH being ended for good.
    This would be such a shame because the re-release is a solid product and will give consumers a PPH experience close to the original.


    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Respectfully, disagree with you on this. Sorry. My nose is certainly no better than yours that's for sure. This thead prompted me to give both yet another parallel testing on the skin and on blotters. I had three non-fragrancefreaks, (that's a toungue twister for sure !) round for brunch and asked for their opinions. All of them perceived two completely different fragrances after smelling the new version along side the old.
    If I change my opinion, (which could happen) I certainly will report back on this thread. I respect your differing views, but to my nose there is no similarity whatsoever.
    David, I have read many of your posts and you are always a gentleman (as is Bigsly).
    My nose is average at best, but I am extremely experienced with PPH having worn it from the 80s to today.
    To find "no similarity whatsoever" to vintage PPH suggests your vintage juice may be compromised.
    I see you are French... are you comparing the re-issue to a vintage bottle you purchased from a local French department store or perfume shop before it was discontinued?

  5. #155

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey View Post
    I am extremely experienced with PPH having worn it from the 80s to today.
    How close do you think they are?
    Currently wearing: Vtiver by Christian Dior

  6. #156
    Dimitrios's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Beyond the Blue Mountains
    Posts
    3,384

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    musky-monkey ......
    perhaps the aged more matured & slightly stankier PPH that the majority of BN'ers have tried & refering to as reference , over this past decade
    "is better than it was fresh in the 80's"

    cheers

  7. #157

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    musky-monkey ......
    perhaps the aged more matured & slightly stankier PPH that the majority of BN'ers have tried & refering to as reference , over this past decade
    "is better than it was fresh in the 80's"

    cheers
    Which means the reissue could smell exactly like it also after aging 25 years. Heck, I think nearly anything would.

  8. #158

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey View Post
    Like I have said, the re-issue is not identical to the vintage. However, anyone who has worn the vintage (in good condition) and is truly familiar with it will easily recognise the re-issue as PPH.
    IMHO, it is close enough to scratch the itch if you want to smell PPH.

    One of the reasons why I finally felt compelled to call out the claims of "no similarity to PPH" is that they are potentially damaging.
    After so many requests from consumers, the owners of the brand finally re-issued a version that is quite faithful to the original - which is extraordinary given the new regulations and rarity of ingredients today.
    I agree on this. The new version can sure be recognized as a attempt to recreate the PPH, i believe they really tried their best with today's "raw materials". Personally I will continue to wear, and enjoy wearing the original stuff.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

    Signature: Rochas Macassar (Nicolas Mamounas / Roger Pellegrino, 1980)

    Current Top 7:

    Chanel Antaeus (vtg) (Jaques Polge, 1981)
    Terre d' Hermes EDT (2006-2009) (Jean-Claude Ellena, 2006)
    Green Irish Tweed (Probably Oliver Creed / Pierre Bourdon, 1985)
    Eau de Rochas Pour Homme (Gilles Romey, 1993)
    Bleu de Chanel EDP (Jaques Polge, 2014)
    Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme (vtg) (Max Gavary, 1994)
    Chanel Allure Homme (vtg) (Jaques Polge, 1999)

  9. #159
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Bzios
    Posts
    111,236

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by df91 View Post
    The new version can sure be recognized as a attempt to recreate the PPH, i believe they really tried their best with today's "raw materials".
    Agree, a worthy reissue IMO.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

  10. #160
    david's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cote dAzur
    Posts
    2,845

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue



    Hi Musky Monkey. This is the original Patou Pour Homme from my collection. I also have the 90ml spray version of the original release. Thanks for your kind words, by the way, (gentleman) The stock I have is in my view in immaculate condition. The juice is clear and has been protected by light. I personally do not think that this fragrance improves with age. A friend of mine who lives in Paris sent me several samples of the re-released PPH from the boutique in Paris. I asked her to question the staff about the new PPH and she told me that the they told her, " the new release PPH was not a copy of the original PPH and was never intented to be. It is a new fragrance designed to appeal to a younger generation clientele". This probably explains why it smells different to the original fragrance.
    Last edited by david; 17th August 2014 at 10:44 PM.
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare extraits available, including Djedi and Nombre Noir.

  11. #161

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Holy Cow, seems like someone struck the mother lode!

  12. #162

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    A friend of mine who lives in Paris sent me several samples of the re-released PPH from the boutique in Paris. I asked her to question the staff about the new PPH and she told me that the they told her, " the new release PPH was not a copy of the original PPH and was never intented to be. It is a new fragrance designed to appeal to a younger generation clientele". This probably explains why it smells different to the original fragrance.
    I'm pretty sure that Thomas Fontaine stated otherwise (or at least nothing whatsoever that indicated a new fragrance) and that I have read about it in one of these threads here on BN. Would be mighty stupid to create a new fragrance that is meant to appeal to a younger target group and then name it "Patou Pour Homme" as part of the "Heritage"-collection, wouldn't it.

  13. #163
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    7,392

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Forgot all about it. Have to go try it again. Don't remember it smelling like Patou pour Homme, though. :-)

  14. #164

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post

    Sorry folks - slightly off topic, but...

    Oh David - beautiful bottles of PPH + all those wonderful Guerlain's - assuming they are all Derby??? You are a fragrance millionaire just with those 12 bottles!!! Did you ever post pictures of all your fragrances??? If so please do send the link...
    Currently wearing: Vtiver by Christian Dior

  15. #165

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    How close do you think they are?
    When I sampled the re-issue, what struck me was the extra "fruitiness" of the re-issue being the main difference with the vintage.
    The vintage PPH also has this note, but in the vintage it seems to be better controlled.

    I read an interview with Thomas Fontaine who stated that "You can smell vanilla, lavender and fir balsam here also—it gives the sweet fruity-sugary and strawberry note to the perfume." See http://www.fragrantica.com/news/Perf...atou-4338.html

    After reading this interview, I suspect that the extra fruitiness I detect in the re-issue is the fir balsam.
    I'm not sure why this has been cranked up in the re-issue, but I suspect it was part of the tweaking require to compensate for the new regulations and ingredient availability problems.

    My current hypothesis (which is likely to crash and burn) is that there are two camps: those who are very sensitive to this fir balsam/fruity note and those who are less sensitive.
    Camp A: If you are very sensitive to this note, your nose will hone in on it and declare that the re-issue is very different to the vintage.
    Camp B: If you are less sensitive to this note, your nose will still pick it up, but move past this, and identify all the other similarities to the vintage.

    David seems to be in camp A. I seem to be in camp B.
    This may explain the extraordinary situation where some people find the re-issue a solid attempt to recreate the original, while others find it completely different.

  16. #166

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Wow... I am going to gather a fellowship of Hobbits and we are going on a quest to steal your riches!
    ....and after that we are heading over the Hednic's place!

  17. #167
    david's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cote dAzur
    Posts
    2,845

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Thomas Fontaine stated otherwise (or at least nothing whatsoever that indicated a new fragrance) and that I have read about it in one of these threads here on BN. Would be mighty stupid to create a new fragrance that is meant to appeal to a younger target group and then name it "Patou Pour Homme" as part of the "Heritage"-collection, wouldn't it.
    Nasenmann, I too read a couple of articles that said words to that effect, but perhaps it was propagander/marketing from the company ? PPH original has been obsolete for many years now and perhaps the company thought they could get away with saying it was the same stuff... not that many people know the original fragrance nowadays.
    Also, people hate me saying this, but PPH was in fact a huge flop. It was discontinued quite early on. Many people thought it a very "dated" fragrance when it was released in 1980. At the time I was working in the Ka De We store and I remember it being on clearance sale in the mid 80's. It was certainly not a good seller. So why would they produce an re-run of a flop 35 years later ? Many other companies have re-issued oldies as part of their "heritage" collection and many of these do not smell at all similar to the originals.
    I respect your views and I am not trying to argue with you, just saying what I know and what I have been told. Also, I agree with others when they say the new PPH is in it's own right a good fragrance, but not worth the price tag.
    Last edited by david; 18th August 2014 at 05:39 PM.
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare extraits available, including Djedi and Nombre Noir.

  18. #168

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey View Post
    Wow... I am going to gather a fellowship of Hobbits and we are going on a quest to steal your riches!
    ....and after that we are heading over the Hednic's place!
    Count me in, Gandalf! Finally someone that speaks sense!

  19. #169

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    'Those who wore it fresh in the 80s...' PpH was still produced in 2001 so anyone could wear it fresh in the 00s too.
    The orig. PpH had a dry bitter herbal edge, loads of oakmoss and bourbon vetiver (one of its main feat) without these how can the reissue be even close to vintage? Is now bourbon vetiver also restricted? There are many examples of pretty good modern reissues/versions of classic masculines (Bel Ami, Havana, Derby, JHL, Jules, Yohji Homme, Tiffany for Men.... ), the new PpH is definitely not among them, in my opinion.

  20. #170
    david's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cote dAzur
    Posts
    2,845

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    'Those who wore it fresh in the 80s...' PpH was still produced in 2001 so anyone could wear it fresh in the 00s too.
    The orig. PpH had a dry bitter herbal edge, loads of oakmoss and bourbon vetiver (one of its main feat) without these how can the reissue be even close to vintage? Is now bourbon vetiver also restricted? There are many examples of pretty good modern reissues/versions of classic masculines (Bel Ami, Havana, Derby, JHL, Jules, Yohji Homme, Tiffany for Men.... ), the new PpH is definitely not among them, in my opinion.
    You don't identify which country you are from ? In my post I spoke clearly from my experiences in Germany. There the fragrance died a death after approximately 5 years. Maybe as in the case of Furyo, after its demise mass stocks ended up in another part of the globe. Furyo was "dumped" in Skandinavia, (especialy Finland) where it was much loved and appreciated. In Germany PPH was not appreciated. It floped and died. I think personally the main problem with the reconstruction of PPH would be the Mysore sandalwood. NOTHING comes close. Australian sandalwood is just not comparable and totally inferior, as are synthetic variations. Most of the other "ingredients" in PPH I would have thought are fairly straightforward ?
    There is defintely no substitute for Mysore sandalwood.
    There have been some good examples of re-issues indeed, but there have been some poor ones too. I personally find some of the Lancome's less than satisfactory. I certainly agree with you in the case of PPH. I find the re-issue unrecognisable.
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare extraits available, including Djedi and Nombre Noir.

  21. #171

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    I can't imagine the drydown of the new one being satisfactory for me (based upon extensive study of these kinds of reformulations), and that is what matters to me, and I'm the one being asked to pay the money! LOL.

  22. #172
    david's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cote dAzur
    Posts
    2,845

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey View Post
    When I sampled the re-issue, what struck me was the extra "fruitiness" of the re-issue being the main difference with the vintage.
    The vintage PPH also has this note, but in the vintage it seems to be better controlled.

    I read an interview with Thomas Fontaine who stated that "You can smell vanilla, lavender and fir balsam here also—it gives the sweet fruity-sugary and strawberry note to the perfume." See http://www.fragrantica.com/news/Perf...atou-4338.html

    After reading this interview, I suspect that the extra fruitiness I detect in the re-issue is the fir balsam.
    I'm not sure why this has been cranked up in the re-issue, but I suspect it was part of the tweaking require to compensate for the new regulations and ingredient availability problems.

    My current hypothesis (which is likely to crash and burn) is that there are two camps: those who are very sensitive to this fir balsam/fruity note and those who are less sensitive.
    Camp A: If you are very sensitive to this note, your nose will hone in on it and declare that the re-issue is very different to the vintage.
    Camp B: If you are less sensitive to this note, your nose will still pick it up, but move past this, and identify all the other similarities to the vintage.

    David seems to be in camp A. I seem to be in camp B.
    This may explain the extraordinary situation where some people find the re-issue a solid attempt to recreate the original, while others find it completely different.
    Very interesting !
    I never get a strawberry / sweet/ fruity note with the original PPH. What I do get is what I can only describe as a wonderful indigo/ "silky violet" accord going on in the background. This accord is very prominent in the after shave, (which I personally prefer) and tends to be drowned out in the edt strength PPH. This "silky violet" accord accord can also be found in Luciano Pavarotti for Men, but I find it slightly more of a "woody violet" accord in this fragrance.
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare extraits available, including Djedi and Nombre Noir.

  23. #173

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    To David:
    In 2011 I met Jean Kerleo twice at Osmotheque and got that info from him. P&G dumped PpH when they took over JP, they were only interested in it if they could make a ton of it which was a no-go. I also asked him about Mysore in regards to a possible reformulation, he said that Mysore would not be a problem as there's only a little of it in Pph. I also smelled his 2011 remake of Pph and that one, unlike the official reissue, is a very recognisable remake indeed.

  24. #174

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Nasenmann, I too read a couple of articles that said words to that effect, but perhaps it was propagander/marketing from the company ? PPH original has been obsolete for many years now and perhaps the company thought they could get away with saying it was the same stuff... not that many people know the original fragrance nowadays.
    Also, people hate me saying this, but PPH was in fact a huge flop. It was discontinued quite early on. Many people thought it a very "dated" fragrance when it was released in 1980. At the time I was working in the Ka De We store and I remember it being on clearance sale in the mid 80's. It was certainly not a good seller. So why would they produce an re-run of a flop 35 years later ? Many other companies have re-issued oldies as part of their "heritage" collection and many of these do not smell at all similar to the originals.
    I respect your views and I am not trying to argue with you, just saying what I know and what I have been told. Also, I agree with others when they say the new PPH is in it's own right a good fragrance, but not worth the price tag.
    Please don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to say anything about the quality of the reissue. In fact I haven't managed to test it yet. I do doubt the statement of the Patou employee that told you that it wasn't meant to be a faithful remake though. That seems highly unlikely to me after everything we read in the wake of its release. Maybe they realized late in the process that given the current regulations it isn't possible to do an accurate remake and therefor the product should rather be advertised as a reimagining.

    The reasons for its resurrection seem obvious to me: it reached posthumous cult status, fans begging them and paying crazy prices for the remaining bottles.

  25. #175

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    ...PPH was in fact a huge flop...
    I remember in the 80s and 90s seing PPH on the shelves with Aramis, Antaeus, Kouros, Tuscany, Azzaro, Paco Rabanne, etc.
    PPH was a bit more expensive at the time, but not too much more.
    Perhaps 20 to 30% more expensive than the usual designer fragrances?
    People could sample them all, but very few people bought the PPH.
    It wasn't a price problem. Customers would sample the PPH, but actually preferred the other fragrances of the time.
    Perhaps it was a marketing problem?
    I never perceived it as "dated", but maybe other customers did?
    I'm not sure why it flopped.
    Last edited by musky_monkey; 19th August 2014 at 12:25 AM.

  26. #176
    david's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cote dAzur
    Posts
    2,845

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    To David:
    In 2011 I met Jean Kerleo twice at Osmotheque and got that info from him. P&G dumped PpH when they took over JP, they were only interested in it if they could make a ton of it which was a no-go. I also asked him about Mysore in regards to a possible reformulation, he said that Mysore would not be a problem as there's only a little of it in Pph. I also smelled his 2011 remake of Pph and that one, unlike the official reissue, is a very recognisable remake indeed.
    Thanks for your post. Very interesting ! So there was indeed a direct copy of the original PPH made in 2011...but it was never released, instead we got a different new version. I wished they had released the direct copy version !!!
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare extraits available, including Djedi and Nombre Noir.

  27. #177

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Thanks for your post. Very interesting ! So there was indeed a direct copy of the original PPH made in 2011...but it was never released, instead we got a different new version. I wished they had released the direct copy version !!!
    Thomas Fontaine is the current perfumer for Patou and his version is the one that has been released as part of the Heritage collection. Kerleo, as you surely know, is the perfumer behind the original. I guess (!) that his attempts at a remake were/are meant as an effort for his Osmotheque and also out of personal curiosity rather then a commercial project.

  28. #178

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    " the new release PPH was not a copy of the original PPH and was never intented to be. It is a new fragrance designed to appeal to a younger generation clientele".
    I've never tried the original PPH, but this seems to be exactly what I'm smelling.
    For me it's basically an amped up Hugo Boss fragrance with higher concentration, projection, longevity and sillage.
    I'm very surprised that some people recognise the vintage PPH in this.
    I can't imagine something like this to be similar to a highly sought and praised vintage gem.

  29. #179

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    I've never tried the original PPH, but this seems to be exactly what I'm smelling.
    For me it's basically an amped up Hugo Boss fragrance with higher concentration, projection, longevity and sillage.
    I'm very surprised that some people recognise the vintage PPH in this.
    I can't imagine something like this to be similar to a highly sought and praised vintage gem.
    This really is a bizarre situation that has me scratching my head.
    We have experienced Basenoters who smell clear similarities... and we have experienced Basenoters who smell zero similarity.
    The human nose is really a remarkable device and it is probably a good thing that we perceive scents differently... lest the world be a more boring place.

    I just urge you caution... vintage PPH was not made from a unicorn's sweat or the saliva of a virgin priestess from Atlantis.
    Spraying PPH on your penis will not extend the length and girth (if it did, I would now be a porn star).
    It is a great fragrance, but the hype in the last few years has lofted it to levels it never had before it was discontinued.
    Be careful you do not get caught in the hype.
    Last edited by musky_monkey; 20th August 2014 at 12:43 AM.

  30. #180

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey View Post
    This really is a bizarre situation that has me scratching my head.
    We have experienced Basenoters who smell clear similarities... and we have experienced Basenoters who smell zero similarity.
    The human nose is really a remarkable device and it is probably a good thing that we perceive scents differently... lest the world be a more boring place.

    I just urge you caution... vintage PPH was not made from a unicorn's sweat or the saliva of a virgin priestess from Atlantis.
    Spraying PPH on your penis will not extend the length and girth (if it did, I would now be a porn star).
    It is a great fragrance, but the hype in the last few years has lofted it to levels it never had before it was discontinued.
    Be careful you do not get caught in the hype.
    Well, I think if you correlate what people are saying about the differences perceived, if any, with what the person has said in the past about other, similar situations, it might make at least a bit more sense. I've only tried vintage PPH, so I can only speak in general. With some "good" reformulations, the scent smells very similar, but is weaker and less complex and rich (and that is usually not satisfactory for me, unless there is no other option). In this case the top notes may have been changed in significant ways while the base was changed to the weaker/less complex and rich sort of thing. There are more than a couple of possibilities. I think the key question concerns what one is paying for. If you want to be able to say you are wearing PPH and want something that is at least somewhat similar, but a bit more "modern," then it might work for you. If you want 100% (or nearly so) vintage PPH I doubt you will get it.

Similar Threads

  1. Review: Patou Pour Homme, Jean Patou
    By yonggoh in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 21st March 2007, 03:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000