Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Patou pour homme reissue

Any new reactions yet? I'm very interested in hearing about this fragrance.

Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

I bought it some days ago from ALZD (180€, 100ml) and like it a lot. Its rich, full of herbs, especially lavender, sage and estragon with a wonderful semi-oriental drydown that lasts for ages. But Im not sure, if its the good ole "Patou pour Homme", because by comparison with my (very) old bottle of "PpH", it smells totally different. The older juice has a sherry-like top note (because of its age, I think), a very strong, peppery heart and a great leathery/oriental drydown. The newer is much, much lighter and rather an aromatic fougre, than an oriental one.
    At first I thougt its way to different from what I used to know as "Patou pour Homme", but after some full wearings, Im sure its there - sort of incorporated in the background.
    Last edited by sables; 5th November 2013 at 05:04 PM.

I'm currently being teased mercilessly by a sample of this which I can't evaluate properly due to still being in the olfactory recovery phase of a dratted cold

However I can say it smells nothing like the vintage sample I have (which I'm pretty sure was past it's best anyway). In fact, it smells a bit like VC&A Tsar. This may be way off-beam however!

My bottle hasn't arrived yet but I already know from the samples I had and used that for me it's a winner.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I ordered a SAMPLE from First In Fragrance rather than the whole bottle.
    thread reviver

Quote Originally Posted by sniffman View Post
    I ordered a SAMPLE from First In Fragrance rather than the whole bottle.
    Seems reasonable. I was all crazy about reissued Havana, and while I sampled it, I sampled too shortly and made the decision to buy all too quickly. Patou the myth? My desire to smell it, my ecstatical anticipation has run dry over the years.

I'd like to know - how much did it cost "back then"? Also 180 €/240 $? Was it that expensive? If not...I wouldn't buy it these days, just to make some "Hritage Collection" snobs (=the people who sell) even richer.
    Last edited by Tristram; 6th November 2013 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristram View Post

I'd like to know - how much did it cost "back then"? Also 180 €/240 $? Was it that expensive? If not...I wouldn't buy it these days, just to make some "Hritage Collection" snobs even richer.
    It was $90 for 3oz. 90ml brand new. Remember it as if it were yesterday.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Without knowing the prices "back then" I suspect that 90 $ were a lot of money for a "cologne"; also in comparison to other brands.

In today's money, the cost would be about $150, I suspect. Great recall, Hednic.

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post

In fact, it smells a bit like VC&A Tsar. This may be way off-beam however!
    Shoot -- I hope so!

Just testing this one again as my nose recovers painfully slowly. Still getting the Tsar similarity, which I think is mainly the strong lavender/patch. But now Patou redux is greener and seems more powdery, with a more apparent leathery quality (along the refined lines of Vie de Chateau rather than Aramis). Very good so far but I'm waiting a few more days yet. I am finding this gradual unveiling quite enjoyable. It compensates a bit for the awful anosmic days.

In the late 80s (actually... it may have been the early 90s), the 120ml EDT refill bottle cost 43.50 at Selfridges.

Just received a sample of it and tried only once. So my mind can change later after several tries. My first impression was that it is as faithful to original as it can considering some of the original ingredients are not even available anymore, and some have been replaced with cheaper ones. The smell is pleasant though, but the flowery portion of it is stronger than in the vintage one also to my nose a bit more feminine, and that's why i stick with the vintage one and won't purchase the current incarnation.

This hasn't been created by the nose Jean Kerleo by the way. Kerleo has been consulted though.
    Last edited by df91; 9th November 2013 at 05:52 PM.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Quote Originally Posted by df91 View Post
    My first impression was that it is as faithful to original as it can considering some of the original ingredients are not even available anymore, and some have been replaced with cheaper ones.
    Pretty close to how I felt when I tried the samples i was given.

We need to hear from "bokaba." He started the whole campaign to reissue PPH.
    thread reviver

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    In today's money, the cost would be about $150, I suspect. Great recall, Hednic.
    $255.75 according to the BLS

Has anyone else picked this up yet? I'm curious to know...

Quote Originally Posted by maricle View Post

So I was off a little...lol!

I was at the Jean Patou flagship store at rue Castiglione a couple of days ago. I had a decant with vintage juice with me to compare to the new bottles.

I let the sales woman smell my decant (she immediately sprayed her wrist - how often does THAT happen..?) and she said: "No, not possible, cant be the same scent - are you sure?" I was completely sure, I had decanted it myself from my NIB vintage Patou pour Homme, and my decant also smelled exactly like a sample from another source.

Anyway - after smelling her hand the sales woman said with a loud voice "Thomas, can you come down here? To smell some vintage Patou pour Homme?".

Down the stairs came then Thomas Fontaine, the parfumer of the new PPH, and he smelled my decant and said "Yes, it is clearly the real stuff, but it has turned - at least the patchouli." There was also another note in my decant that he doomed as turned, but I dont remember which one.

Anyway - to me my decant doesnt smell off at all, but bear in mind I havent tried it when it was new. Me and Thomas then talked about the differencies and he was clear that they did their best to recreate the old PPH, with the exceptions of ingredients that no longer exist. And the longer I had both incarnations on my hands the more similar they seemed.

Now Ill try to explain and compare my emotions when I smelled the two together. I often "see" colour and material when I smell a fragrance, and if my old PPH is black leather with brown undertones the new one is very dark grey tweed with blue or green undertones. The new one smells more modern but still very classy, and who knows how much the differencies depends on aging?

I will try them more side-by-side someday (Thomas gave me a generous sample) and try to say something more.

PS: I also tried the new Chaldee and that one was way more similar to my vintage (90:s) bottle.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Thanks Pelle!

Would you say the new one is full bottle worthy considering the price? Also, would you recommend a blind buy for someone that likes the original but is not too hung up on the new version being a carbon copy of the old version? Just trying to figure out if I should blind buy as I live in the USA with no less economical way to test than to simply blind buy.

I wonder would it make sense to layer them? Old vintage stuff at first then layer the new one on the top. Or vice versa.
    (Marcel Rochas)

I tried this again today, on one arm, with Vie de Chateau on t'other. I found them quite close, particularly early on; bright, green, velvety, and suede leathery (they do share a bundle of notes). Patou redux diverges in the drydown, becoming a bit darker, with rose, along with a touch of frankincense, becoming more apparent. It really is lovely and I can't see anyone disliking it much (if he likes 'the classics').

It is very different to my vintage sample, much lighter and less 80s bombastic, but as I said before I think I got a badly-aged sample.

Quote Originally Posted by pelle View Post
    NIB vintage Patou pour Homme

"Yes, it is clearly the real stuff, but it has turned - at least the patchouli." There was also another note in my decant that he doomed as turned, but I dont remember which one.
    It would be nice to know what the shelf life is actually expected to be with fragrances stored in box. Sorry to hear that yours has gone off, but if it still smells good to you, then it doesn't need to smell as originally intended.

Well pelle, you got it directly from the horse's mouth or horse's "nose." You can't get that information any more authoritatively than from Thomas Fontaine !
    thread reviver

Now Ill try to explain and compare my emotions when I smelled the two together. I often "see" colour and material when I smell a fragrance, and if my old PPH is black leather with brown undertones the new one is very dark grey tweed with blue or green undertones. The new one smells more modern but still very classy, and who knows how much the differencies depends on aging?

I will try them more side-by-side someday (Thomas gave me a generous sample) and try to say something more.
    Thanks Pelle for sharing your thoughts. I know you didn't mention it in your post, but did you happen to smell the re-issued
    Eau de Patou in the series? (398)
    Last edited by hednic; 13th November 2013 at 01:38 AM.

Pelle's experience is telling...
    I suspect his vintage PPH sample is similar to most of the other old juice still around.
    In my experience, PPH changes significantly as it ages.
    It loses its brightness, which may be why his mental imagery is of "black leather with brown undertones".
    I expect that the new juice will be more faithful to fresh PPH of the eighties than the old stuff still available... let's hope!

I own what I suspect is a "newer" vintage bottle. It is lovely stuff. When it first arrived, a year or so ago, I wore it to the office, and a sharp woman I work with said "oh, Youth Dew." Since then I have to confess - she's kind of right about that.

So, my question to anyone who's sniffed the new version: do you get the "Youth Dew" effect?

I personally don't get the "Youth Dew" effect you speak of.

Thanks Pelle for sharing your thoughts. I know you didn't mention it in your post, but did you happen to smell the re-issued
    Eau de Patou in the series? (398)
    I tried it very briefly on paper in the store, and thae new one clearly was Eau de Patou, maybe a little sharper than my vintage bottle. I only smelled the first minutes though, and just on paper.

My swap thread

The new PPH is nothing like the original regardless of what Mr Fontaine has to say..I had bottles from 2000-2001 which did not turn.
    I like the new PPH a lot however, as a PPH reissue, it is a major fail for me. "The triumphant return of the classic.." is misleading BS if you ask me. For instance, the original is rich in bourbon vetiver - is this material now restricted as well or did they simply forget about it?

Oh, and one more thing (or three) - Thomas also said that there will be more fragranses reissued. I think he mentioned three and the only one I remember was Vacanses because its one on my WL that I just have i tiny sample of... Sorry for not remembering all, I was a bit overwhelmed at the moment (I just stepped out from JAR minutes before I got in to Patou boutique...).

My swap thread

Oh, and one more thing (or three) - Thomas also said that there will be more fragranses reissued. I think he mentioned three and the only one I remember was Vacanses because its one on my WL that I just have i tiny sample of... Sorry for not remembering all, I was a bit overwhelmed at the moment (I just stepped out from JAR minutes before I got in to Patou boutique...).
    Thanks for all the info, sounds like you had a good day! I look forward to trying the new ones.

it is not the same, radically changed, IMO...just a rip off flanker, IMO

I tried it very briefly on paper in the store, and the new one clearly was Eau de Patou, maybe a little sharper than my vintage bottle. I only smelled the first minutes though, and just on paper.
    Interesting you should say that. I got the same feeling of it being a bit sharper.

It's been a couple of weeks. Has anyone else gotten to wear this much who's developed more of an opinion?

The original is a favorite so I'm tempted by this one.
    Christian Dior VetiverPatou Pour HommeChristian Dior Leather OudOrmonde Jayne Ormonde ManSerge Lutens Chene

It smells similar to the original but obviously reformulated. It lacks the richness/depth of the original formulation (like most reformulations of '80 scents) but I would have recognized this as PPH if someone was wearing it.

I would get in on a split (I did) if you're worried about investing in a whole bottle.

Last week I got sample of the current formulation, it was love from first sniff and I ordered full bottle right away!
    BTW, never smelled the original formulation.
    For Sale:Gucci Pour Homme II , Amouage Attar,Lubin Idole http://www.basenotes.net/threads/313...dwide-Shipping

It has been a while since my bottle has arrived and am very happy despite the differences from the original. (712)
    Last edited by hednic; 23rd November 2013 at 03:06 PM.

Where to get this?
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by maricle View Post
    So as i bought from an U.S. seller a 90 ML full bottle of vintage Patou pour homme for 310 USD about an year ago, it wasn't a bad deal, after all.
    (Marcel Rochas)

where to buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Where to get this?
    Quote Originally Posted by fhayat View Post
    where to buy it?
    First in Fragrance and Essenza Nobile in Germany both have it.

First in Fragrance and Essenza Nobile in Germany both have it.
    Thanks my friend!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Basenotes Institution

Woe pelle - how exciting that you actually got to speak to the perfumer of the scent one-on-one.

I love my bottle of vintage Patou Pour Homme, so for now I'm good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    I own what I suspect is a "newer" vintage bottle. It is lovely stuff. When it first arrived, a year or so ago, I wore it to the office, and a sharp woman I work with said "oh, Youth Dew." Since then I have to confess - she's kind of right about that.

So, my question to anyone who's sniffed the new version: do you get the "Youth Dew" effect?
    Interesting. I think I might be able to conjure up what she means...I love YD. But, for me, YD, is all about amber.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by dmarino67 View Post
    It smells similar to the original but obviously reformulated. It lacks the richness/depth of the original formulation (like most reformulations of '80 scents) but I would have recognized this as PPH if someone was wearing it.
    Exactly! This is not the same rich old school powerhouse. It is like 80% strength. Nice, but not the same by any standard.

I wonder if the production will be high enough to allow for discounting over time. If it could come down to about $100~$130 for 3oz, that would be pretty sweet. I think I'll stay away from sampling any vintage, as I don't want to ruin the new one for my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    I wonder if the production will be high enough to allow for discounting over time. If it could come down to about $100~$130 for 3oz, that would be pretty sweet. I think I'll stay away from sampling any vintage, as I don't want to ruin the new one for my nose.
    We share a similar plan. I'd love this and Creed 1849. But I have my limits financially. I have my doubts that either one will come down into my range. First world problem, for sure.

I've heard the PPH aftershave is still a good alternative to the vintage cologne, considering the significant difference in price.

Is it possible that the PPH aftershave is at least as good or better than PPH reformulated?

Obviously, there would be longevity issues with the aftershave, but you can easily make small atomizers for reapplication.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...-Vert-*SAMPLES

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

I was at the Jean Patou flagship store at rue Castiglione a couple of days ago. I had a decant with vintage juice with me to compare to the new bottles.

I let the sales woman smell my decant (she immediately sprayed her wrist - how often does THAT happen..?) and she said: "No, not possible, cant be the same scent - are you sure?" I was completely sure, I had decanted it myself from my NIB vintage Patou pour Homme, and my decant also smelled exactly like a sample from another source.

Anyway - after smelling her hand the sales woman said with a loud voice "Thomas, can you come down here? To smell some vintage Patou pour Homme?".

Down the stairs came then Thomas Fontaine, the parfumer of the new PPH, and he smelled my decant and said "Yes, it is clearly the real stuff, but it has turned - at least the patchouli." There was also another note in my decant that he doomed as turned, but I dont remember which one.

Anyway - to me my decant doesnt smell off at all, but bear in mind I havent tried it when it was new. Me and Thomas then talked about the differencies and he was clear that they did their best to recreate the old PPH, with the exceptions of ingredients that no longer exist. And the longer I had both incarnations on my hands the more similar they seemed.

PS: I also tried the new Chaldee and that one was way more similar to my vintage (90:s) bottle.
    I am sorry to have to say this, but I am really sceptical now about the talent of Thomas Fontaine as a..... ( trained and qualified ?? ) nose. It is a well known fact that patchouli oil actually improves with age. I have a good relationship to some of the noses within the perfume industry close by in Grasse and I have never heard of a perfumer commenting that patchouli has turned/ gone off !!!
    Last edited by david; 30th November 2013 at 07:36 PM.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    I am sorry to have to say this, but I am really sceptical now about the talent of Thomas Fontaine as a..... ( trained and qualified ?? ) nose. It is a well known fact that patchouli oil actually improves with age. I have good relationship to some of the noses within the perfume industry close by in Grasse and I have never heard of a perfumer commenting that patchouli has turned/ gone off !!!
    Like these discussions!

Anyway, Mr. Fontaine or not, one can't expect things to be the same after 23 years.

I hate to ask this, but I will...are there any current scents that I can use as a base of comparison for the new Patou PH reissue?

I'm thinking it's along the lines of PDN New York or Creed BDP...Am I way off? If so, what is an at least similar scent? I just need to wrap my head around what it may smell like.

I have been following this release and subsequent threads with vigor!

Like Chuck, I haven't had the opportunity to have experienced the vintage, or wrapped my mind around the fragrance. I'm surely getting the feeling of it being on "the tip of my nose", but it also seems to be totally unique in itself, thus incomparable to others.

Another reason why I'm interested in this release, is for it's possible effects on the industry, with all of the regulations of recent years.

With Patou being such a landmark scent for connoisseurs, I'm sure many have their eyes on the reactions and results of this release to see if they could do this on their own end, in either re-releasing discontinued scents, or as a blueprint to reformulating classics. For example, two houses iMHO that have successfully reissued/reformulated classics are Chanel & Guerlain. Les Exclusifs are enjoying praise, while many have noted a return to form for fragrances such as Mitsouko.

Long story short, this release is intriguing to say the least.
    Last edited by Arij; 26th November 2013 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I hate to ask this, but I will...are there any current scents that I can use as a base of comparison for the new Patou PH reissue?

I'm thinking it's along the lines of PDN New York or Creed BDP...Am I way off? If so, what is an at least similar scent? I just need to wrap my head around what it may smell like.
    Imho, the new PPH is more of a floral oriental closer to, say, Nino Cerruti PH (1979) rather than NY or BdP. A very nice scent, I'm tempted to buy FB but personally would never recognize it as PPH. J. Kerleo's 2011 remake for example is still easily recognizable as PPH despite the fact there are some things missing in it..in the new one however, the PPH signature accord is gone..to my nose, anyway..

Quote Originally Posted by Arij View Post
    ...With Patou being such a landmark scent for connoisseurs...
    It isn't for me, and nobody has ever made any claim about it that makes it sound special, to my knowledge. it's a well-behaved "80s power" scent, but I can't remember ever thinking that I'd rather wear it than another one I have that is similar but more interesting. I think this is a situation where mythic status somehow developed over the course of years, with the Emperor wearing less and less clothing over that time period. if you've got vintage Bijan for Men, for example, what are you going to get from PPH that is so much "better?"
    Last edited by Bigsly; 27th November 2013 at 02:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    I've heard the PPH aftershave is still a good alternative to the vintage cologne, considering the significant difference in price.

Is it possible that the PPH aftershave is at least as good or better than PPH reformulated?

Obviously, there would be longevity issues with the aftershave, but you can easily make small atomizers for reapplication.
    Hi Red,
    I am one of a few PpH fans who actually prefer the aftershave. Why ?.....the edt is wonderful stuff, but incredibly rich and heavy. Beautiful to smell from the bottle, but hard to wear. I have the same problem with other scents of this genre such as Lancetti Uomo. Beautiful, but heavy. I also have the same problem with Yatagan. So I find the after shave a fantastic alternative.
    Tonight I tested a single spray, (by the way the after shave also comes as 90ml atomizer, as well as in splash format).
    My single spray on a test strip is now 4 hours old and still very "smellable", with plenty of sillage when I waft the strip.
    The after shave is still incredibly rich and complex. I would personally describe vintage PpH as the best mens floral ever created - and it carries Patou's characteristic seal of highest quality ingredients. The perfect balance of woods and florals with no accord dominating makes Patou pour Homme the masterpiece that it is.
    I don't wear PpH very often, because of it's rarity and "specialness", but after tonights rekindling I would really suggest going for the after shave. You won't be disappointed. Just make sure you find a seller who has it in it's original sealed box.
    I am willing and open minded enough to give the reissue a fair chance, ( I should be getting a sample soon), but I think to get the original formula PpH in after shave form is a very good option.
    Last edited by david; 27th November 2013 at 12:35 AM.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Well, went back to Bergdorf's Mens Store again this past week, and there is no sign of a return of the PPH in the US. At least, not at this store where it was supposedly going to be sold. I doubt if it is coming to Bergdorf's at all, certainly not for the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    Well, went back to Bergdorf's Mens Store again this past week, and there is no sign of a return of the PPH in the US. At least, not at this store where it was supposedly going to be sold. I doubt if it is coming to Bergdorf's at all, certainly not for the foreseeable future.
    Had no sales rep there heard anything about its arrival either?
    (857)

Not a word; silent as the grave. I don't think they are going to get it anytime soon; if ever. I may not ask again, they think I am a bit nuts. It's funny how the staff at such a place doesn't know much about the products they carry; or the word on the street about what goes on in this business. One might wonder whether they care at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    I may not ask again, they think I am a bit nuts. It's funny how the staff at such a place doesn't know much about the products they carry; or the word on the street about what goes on in this business. One might wonder whether they care at all.
    LOL! I hear you. I agree with you. It is somewhat strange about their lack of awareness.
    (875)

LOL! I hear you. I agree with you. It is somewhat strange about their lack of awareness.
    (875)
    Yup, it is ridiculous how most sales person's in the fragrance industry dont know a damn thing about the fragrances they sell .. Half of them dont even know what a reformulation is.. I wanted to work at the counter so bad but never get hired, Idk if it has to do with the fact that I am a 20 year old male and not a 45+ year old women but I know one thing I know a hell of a lot more about fragrance than them..