Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

thread reviver

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    Well, went back to Bergdorf's Mens Store again this past week, and there is no sign of a return of the PPH in the US. At least, not at this store where it was supposedly going to be sold. I doubt if it is coming to Bergdorf's at all, certainly not for the foreseeable future.
    It is not the sales rep's blame nor Bergdorf's, blame it on Procter & Gamble.

They specialized in convenience-product markets, they know how to make a deal with Wal Mart and the sorts, they can handle a mass market brand like Old Spice, but when it comes to the specialty product market they lack competitive advantages.

For instance, observe how they are missmanaging traditional high-end brands like Rochas, and when I say "missmanaging", I mean minimal presence in key markets and / or either licensing the brands without much coherence as the original brand proposal - you can get Rochas clothes in here, it was licensed to a local manufacturer which sells Banana Republic-style men's clothes in the mid - upper local price point.

So chances are they are bargaining with high end department stores in the same fashion they do with Wal Mart: they just can't, it is not what they are used to, plus learning is highly cost demanding (time and money) - you know managers are not patient people.

As to competitive advantages, they are champions when it comes to cost: low production costs, high rotation thanks to deals with big supermarket chains and massive distribution, meaning huge profits in a market that is quite inelastic: it takes a war for people to stop taking a bath. It takes an economic crisis or the perception of one to come for people to stop indulging in affordable-and-not-so-affordable luxuries.

What about niche competitive advantage? Ask the owners of Amouage, Hermes, and if you want to ask yourself how, Monsieur Arnault (who happened to be a business wizzard, for he achieved a real a contradiction in terms - he is the one behind much of luxury's luster fading out, niche brands that are massively distributed on a global scale, take that). Sure, breaking a deal with Barney's is a complete different story, there are several Ms. Wintours and Vogue-like magazines in between, for instance.

So I think P&G buys these prestigious brands, let them sleep with the idea in mind selling them after some key strategic movements, like launching a long cherished EdT sold at a hefty price just to discontinue it or restricting its distribution to a flagship in order to keep the brand alive at minimum costs. After all, they want the brand to increase its equity in order to sell it to LVMH or PPR or any new luxury-market company for a hefty price.

BTW, Unilever tried with a prestige line of cosmetics, they gave up. Axe is a total hit, why the need of complicating things with Calvin?

Think of this as a businessman, it is not a bad idea.

Signed, Pollux, the greedy Base Noter.
    Last edited by Pollux; 27th November 2013 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    ...I would personally describe vintage PpH as the best mens floral ever created - and it carries Patou's characteristic seal of highest quality ingredients....
    This is the kind of thing I don't understand. It's not especially floral, and pales in comparison to VC&A PH, Leonard Pour Homme, Perry Ellis for Men (1985), Ho Hang Club, Zino, Boss Cologne, etc. on that score. And ingredient quality is fine with all of them, other than reformulations of course. If someone just happens to like PPH a bit more than the others and has plenty of extra cash, I won't criticize them, but as I said, I don't see it as deserving of any kind of mythic status.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    This is the kind of thing I don't understand. It's not especially floral, and pales in comparison to VC&A PH, Leonard Pour Homme, Perry Ellis for Men (1985), Ho Hang Club, Zino, Boss Cologne, etc. on that score. And ingredient quality is fine with all of them, other than reformulations of course. If someone just happens to like PPH a bit more than the others and has plenty of extra cash, I won't criticize them, but as I said, I don't see it as deserving of any kind of mythic status.
    Come on Bigsly!!! Don't you know hype is part of BN's folklore??? Should know that by now...

I am wearing Davidoff's Relax, I remember reading so many praises on it. Actually, you can easily replace it with Bogart pH or Arpege pH, IMHO (actually, I find my iso butil whatever cheapy vintage leather-based scent from the 1960's + iso e super far more interesting than Relax. Yes, it is crass, bold whatever, but far more original than Davidof's. No, I won't give my bottle of Relax away, it was given from my Wife after a trip to Edimburg so it carries fond memories. Ain't gonna sell it nor give it away, rest assure).

Remember Everso and Knize 10? And the hype around Encre Noire?

I feel this one is following the same route...

Question Re: Patou pour homme reissue

I am in agreement with your comments David on this as PPH after shave is magic in a bottle in my view. I also have the EDT and still rate it as the best fragrance in my collection, but when you factor wearability into the equation I would say the AS is the better option. Always find it strange that more fragrance lovers still see the EDT as the only one to buy, but given the prices being asked for the EDT on EBay I would stick to the AS, though even buying one of those is a bit steep in price these days. I am wondering if all our talk on Basenotes about the new PPH ''not'' being the same as the original, but merely another decent fragrance alternative, has the effect of once again driving up the prices

I am not a perfumer at all, but is it possible the aging of patchouli should happen under "controlled forms" to be successful..? Old wine could be fine, but also a disaster (I am not a wine connoiseur either).

I am sorry to have to say this, but I am really sceptical now about the talent of Thomas Fontaine as a..... ( trained and qualified ?? ) nose. It is a well known fact that patchouli oil actually improves with age. I have good relationship to some of the noses within the perfume industry close by in Grasse and I have never heard of a perfumer commenting that patchouli has turned/ gone off !!!
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Patou ph rep told me this will be available at nemian Marcus online by December 10.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Patou ph rep told me this will be available at nemian Marcus online by December 10.
    But let me guess...Neiman Marcus still does not accept visa or master card or PayPal.

That's good news as it gives people in the States who haven't purchased it from abroad another viable option.
    (945)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    But let me guess...Neiman Marcus still does not accept visa or master card or PayPal.
    I see that they changed that asinine policy about two years ago. So that is good news.

I feel ya chuck. They recently revoked my neimans card because I haven't made a purchase with it in a long while. I asked if I could use my regular credit card. They said yes, so I laughed and said whatever lol

Quote Originally Posted by pelle View Post
    I am not a perfumer at all, but is it possible the aging of patchouli should happen under "controlled forms" to be successful..? Old wine could be fine, but also a disaster (I am not a wine connoiseur either).
    I'd like to know what "bad patchouli" in this context smells like, if indeed there is such a thing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I'd like to know what "bad patchouli" in this context smells like, if indeed there is such a thing.
    Bad patchouli to me is patchouli with armpit, hahaha.
    Usually a combination of BO and patchouli oils.
    Looking for THE femme fatale scent. If you think there is something I should smell please PM me!

Let me just preface this with disclaimers:
    I have been out of rabid collecting and fragrance usage for a couple of years due to other things in life that took precedence.
    Others have shot down my comparisons before, so I claim no special nosmic gifts. LOL

Still, I have had vintage Patou PH for a number of years and keep coming it back to it to refresh my memory and savor what
    I still think to be a top 10 scent among all I have smelled in 7 or 8 years of smelling and collecting.

To my nose, the vintage has both oakmoss and clove pretty apparent. The oakmoss will be a problem in a reformulated version, I expect.
    I do not know if this is the case, but I suspect there may be some immortelle in there as well. Would the fragrascenti help me on this?
    Am I way off on this?

Of course my stash of vintage is many years old, but I have never felt the fragrance was bright. I doubt that was intended in the
    vintage fragrance. Vintage Patou PH makes a somewhat bold statement, and I would expect it to have it's detractors. In fact, the
    timidity of many modern scents are what make them boring. I hope to try the reissue someday.

Carry on,
    Tim

===.
    Last edited by sniffman; 1st December 2013 at 11:41 PM.
    thread reviver

I wonder if Neiman Marcus will have this in stores before Christmas? I'd love to try before I commit the cash.

Is this as retro of a scent as I imagine it would be?

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    Is this as retro of a scent as I imagine it would be?
    I'm having a really hard time figuring out what it would smell like. There has to be a scent or two that it bears a strong resemblance to, just for comparison's sake. I am really in the dark on this one.

I just received a sample from First In Fragrance. It initially smells vaguely like Neutrogena Raindance shower gel. There's a fruity note, maybe melon. Rather linear--I don't really detect much progression. Awful dry down, a real scrubber. I don't like it. From what I've read about the original PPH, Jean Kerleo really put a lot of time, effort, and passion in developing it--even the splash bottle was a unique variation of the classic "Joy" bottle. I really don't think much thought was put into the reissue at all. In addition, all the bottles in the Heritage Collection (both male and female scents) are in the same uninspired, generic shape. Again, can't seem to shake that shower gel vibe. I've smelled the vintage (from The Perfumed Court and other sources), and this is nothing like it. And they want $250.00 a bottle for this?

This reminds me of what Houbigant did with the reissue of Fougere Royale, which had nothing to do with the original fragrance at all (Penhaligon's and Trumper's at least kept their fern fragrances locked into the classic fougere mold, in spite of numerous reformulations). Robert Piguet's reissue of 1963's Cravache also bears no relation to the original scent.

Guerlain has to be congratulated in keeping with the original spirit of Derby.

Hermes has also kept the scent of Equipage recognizable.

But this PPH reissue is a cheapened travesty of a once iconic fragrance.

Which brings to mind a blog by Pyrgos regarding reformulations and extinct fragrance adulation. Read it and get a different take on the situation. Do you want to find an original, untainted discontinued fragrance? Then go to the Osmothque. That's an exercise in academia, but it's not how the real world functions.

My advice: try before you buy. It may be just what you're looking for. However, this is the same name on an entirely different juice. Caveat emptor.

The emperor has no clothes.
    Last edited by sniffman; 17th December 2013 at 02:59 PM.
    thread reviver

My search for the reissued PPH was a matter of some interest on my part, I must say the ardor is fading. If the manufacturer really wanted to get this out in the US, one would think that it would be here by now considering the availability in Paris. While I go to Bergdorf Mens from time to time, I may or may not make a point of checking on this anymore. From what I am hearing, the reissued juice is not the same or even nearly the same as the old; and it is a pure re-thinking of the formula with the same name. No reason for us to go crazy about that. The intensity is fading fast. I am tired of "I don't really give a &**%$" manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    If the manufacturer really wanted to get this out in the US, one would think that it would be here by now considering the availability in Paris. While I go to Bergdorf Mens from time to time, I may or may not make a point of checking on this anymore.
    it is available and in stock at Bergdorfs now but will only be sold online.

http://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/Jean-...&cmCat=search+

(1650)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

If its only sold online then it can't be sampled at the Bergdorf's fragrance counter. In addition, since samples will not be available online from Bergdorfs, then there will be an enormous leap of faith that the potential buyer must make in ordering such an untested expensive item.
    thread reviver

I asked about it in Atlanta and it was nowhere to be found, as hednic said was the case. Too bad Patou did not have it over here for Christmas for counter sampling. Missed sales opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by sniffman View Post
    If its only sold online then it can't be sampled at the Bergdorf's fragrance counter. In addition, since samples will not be available online from Bergdorfs, then there will be an enormous leap of faith that the potential buyer must make in ordering such an untested expensive item.
    You are exactly right.
    (1672)
    Last edited by hednic; 16th December 2013 at 07:42 PM.

Meh = my current thought about this release. Not interested anymore.

Too bad Patou did not have it over here for Christmas for counter sampling. Missed sales opportunity.
    You're right. I just don't understand its limited availability in the US. Doesn't make sense. For most people, if they can't try it, they won't consider or buy it.
    (1703)

Quote Originally Posted by litworth View Post
    Meh = my current thought about this release. Not interested anymore.
    Have you tried it?

Nope, and I'm not planning to either. I typically don't do blind buys, especially not forced ones....makes me suspect the worst.

Nope, and I'm not planning to either. I typically don't do blind buys, especially not forced ones....makes me suspect the worst.
    You don't have to blind-buy it. It's available to sample from Essenza Nobile or First in Fragrance.

Aren't they both outside of the US? I don't understand why they can't make samples available within the US without us having to pay $40 for 2ml as with those entities outside of the US. Especially if it will be available at NM online, why not just have an avenue for samples to be purchased within the US? It's inconvenient and the reviews so far have not been good enough to compensate for the inconvenience. I've moved on to better things since my initial interest in this relaunch....they botched the roll out, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    You don't have to blind-buy it. It's available to sample from Essenza Nobile or First in Fragrance.
    And where are these stores located? Because if folks are talking about the Bergdoff store, that's located in New York City. And if they don't have it in stock and only for sale online, that would be a blind purchase for anybody not in Europe or near the two other aforesaid stores (which, I'm not sure has stores in the US).

Aren't they both outside of the US? I don't understand why they can't make samples available within the US without us having to pay $40 for 2ml as with those entities outside of the US. Especially if it will be available at NM online, why not just have an avenue for samples to be purchased within the US? It's inconvenient and the reviews so far have not been good enough to compensate for the inconvenience. I've moved on to better things since my initial interest in this relaunch....they botched the roll out, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    And where are these stores located? Because if folks are talking about the Bergdoff store, that's located in New York City. And if they don't have it in stock and only for sale online, that would be a blind purchase for anybody not in Europe or near the two other aforesaid stores (which, I'm not sure has stores in the US).
    Yes they are based outside your own Heimat, along with 95% of the world's population. I have ordered many samples from various countries and continents, including your own, but I am not easily swayed by a handful of reviews and prefer to make up my own mind, once my interest is piqued.

To each his own. The reason there are only a handful of reviews (most of which have been negative) is because of the extremely limited distribution. Most people aren't going to go out on a limb, especially for an unproven perfumer. What else has Fontaine produced that would warrant me going out of my way to smell his stuff? People from outside the US that are going out of their way to smell fragrances that are limited to the US are probably doing so because the associated perfumer has some sort of positive track record, or the perfume has ALOT of positive reviews - neither of which the relaunched Patou has in its corner at this point.

The early reviews have not made this a slam dunk blind buy for me. It isn't even said to be that true to the original! I will not step out on the limb for this one, and of course, no one is asking me to. One of these days it will make it to the US for counter sampling. Maybe in time for NEXT Chistmas.

Anyone have an idea about how many bottles may have been produced for this batch? That would be really interesting to know !

Smelled this in Dusseldorf 2.5 weeks ago and it was nice but imo not worth the money they asked for it. There are so many better frags you can get for this money. (never smelled vintage)
    My Top 10 : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme
    - Guerlain: Homme L'Eau Boisee
    - Pal Zileri: Cuoio
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

It's now showing up on Nieman's website with an in-store sku number that can be given by phone to a customer service person at your local store to check in store availability.
    (1790)

Link seems to be invalid.

(2381)

Sorry. I think it's working now... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:L:LCA:US:1123

I've seen a review that describes this as having a chocolate vibe. Is this true? I never did like Hanae Morae (SP?), the original with that austere coco vibe going.

I've seen a review that describes this as having a chocolate vibe. Is this true? I never did like Hanae Morae (SP?), the original with that austere coco vibe going.
    I disagree with "chocolate." It's herbacious and very resinous in its base notes.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 31st December 2013 at 06:18 PM.

I had heard that but I never understood where that "chocolate" reference came from either.

(2387)

I'm having a really hard time figuring out what it would smell like. There has to be a scent or two that it bears a strong resemblance to, just for comparison's sake. I am really in the dark on this one.
    Dunhill Blend 30 comes really close. See Dry Martini's review of Dunhill Blend 30. He is spot on, with his description of Blend 30 being a slightly greener version of Patou Pour Homme. I have the vintage PPH and Blend 30 in my collection and find the similarities remarkable.
    The downside is....Blend 30 has also long been discontinued and is almost as rare as PPH....
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Dunhill Blend 30 comes really close. See Dry Martini's review of Dunhill Blend 30. He is spot on, with his description of Blend 30 being a slightly greener version of Patou Pour Homme. I have the vintage PPH and Blend 30 in my collection and find the similarities remarkable.
    The downside is....Blend 30 has also long been discontinued and is almost as rare as PPH....
    Thanks for trying, David!

I just posed this question about Creed 1849, now I want the same information about the new Patou Pour Homme:

Is the reissue a year around scent, or is it best suited to a particular season? Are you guys wearing it much in the winter months?

I just posed this question about Creed 1849, now I want the same information about the new Patou Pour Homme:

Is the reissue a year around scent, or is it best suited to a particular season? Are you guys wearing it much in the winter months?
    Sorry Chuck to give basically the same answer I gave for the Creed, but I had secured samples of this in July from the boutique in Paris and wore it in the summer. later in the fall when I made the bottle purchase and plan on wearing it in winter in the upcoming weeks, so for me once again a year round scent.

(3414)
    Last edited by hednic; 25th January 2014 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Sorry Chuck to give basically the same answer I gave for the Creed, but I had secured samples of this in July from the boutique in Paris and wore it in the summer. later in the fall when I made the bottle purchase and plan on wearing it in winter in the upcoming weeks, do for me once again a year round scent.

(3414)
    Thanks anyway! I'm torn between the Creed and this as my next monthly purchase. I must choose wisely and I want something I can wear right away.

I have come to the conclusion that yes, Vintage Patou Pour Homme is the best fragrance that I've ever smelled. I recently acquired a mini that has not turned and it is just great. It's as close to perfect as I've ever experienced. It has it all. I'm surprised that some independent small company has not attempted to duplicate this yet. Contrary to what I posted earlier in this thread, I purchased a sample of the reissue and it is in route. I'm really hoping it scratches the itch for me, and I'm thinking my experience may be better than others' because I'm going into it expecting it to be something different from the original. I have 2 questions for basenotes:

1. For those that have experienced it...is it worth it when considered on its won merits? Would you think it is a great perfume, on its own merits?

2. I've read that Kerleo attempted to recreate the original in 2011. Where can I get a hold of that? Is it still available to be purchased?

For those that have experienced it...is it worth it when considered on its own merits? Would you think it is a great perfume, on its own merits?
    IMO - Yes & Great No. However Good - Yes.

2. I've read that Kerleo attempted to recreate the original in 2011. Where can I get a hold of that? Is it still available to be purchased?
    I don't think it ever was. Probably just some prototypes / work in progress samples.

I got a sample this today. I was just too curious not to, despite what I previous said. I think it's pretty good, and I do see similarities. I realize that fragrance and smell is a very subjective matter, but to say this smells nothing like vintage Patou Pour Homme seems like a stretch to me. To me, there are clear similarities, in all phases of the fragrance, just as hednic mentioned. It smells like they did their best at recreating patou Pour homme given the restrictions today, and the scent itself is pretty good to me. This is the closest thing to vintage patou pour homme that I have smelled. There are others that replicate the feel better, like Monsieur Carven, but in terms of smell alone, this is the closest thing I have smelled to the old patou.

I got a sample this today. I was just too curious not to, despite what I previous said. I think it's pretty good, and I do see similarities. I realize that fragrance and smell is a very subjective matter, but to say this smells nothing like vintage Patou Pour Homme seems like a stretch to me. To me, there are clear similarities, in all phases of the fragrance, just as hednic mentioned. It smells like they did their best at recreating patou Pour homme given the restrictions today, and the scent itself is pretty good to me. This is the closest thing to vintage patou pour homme that I have smelled. There are others that replicate the feel better, like Monsieur Carven, but in terms of smell alone, this is the closest thing I have smelled to the old patou.
    Glad you like it.

Last edited by OPomone; 25th April 2014 at 08:32 PM.

Cool Re: Patou pour homme reissue

Hi Red,
    I am one of a few PpH fans who actually prefer the aftershave. Why ?.....the edt is wonderful stuff, but incredibly rich and heavy. Beautiful to smell from the bottle, but hard to wear. I have the same problem with other scents of this genre such as Lancetti Uomo. Beautiful, but heavy. I also have the same problem with Yatagan. So I find the after shave a fantastic alternative.
    Tonight I tested a single spray, (by the way the after shave also comes as 90ml atomizer, as well as in splash format).
    My single spray on a test strip is now 4 hours old and still very "smellable", with plenty of sillage when I waft the strip.
    The after shave is still incredibly rich and complex. I would personally describe vintage PpH as the best mens floral ever created - and it carries Patou's characteristic seal of highest quality ingredients. The perfect balance of woods and florals with no accord dominating makes Patou pour Homme the masterpiece that it is.
    I don't wear PpH very often, because of it's rarity and "specialness", but after tonights rekindling I would really suggest going for the after shave. You won't be disappointed. Just make sure you find a seller who has it in it's original sealed box.
    I am willing and open minded enough to give the reissue a fair chance, ( I should be getting a sample soon), but I think to get the original formula PpH in after shave form is a very good option.
    Interesting. Where on the www do they sell the edc, (aka aftershave?) I can only find the Prive in edc/aftershave, not the PpH.
    Much obliged, David.

Cheers,
    Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post
    Interesting. Where on the www do they sell the edc, (aka aftershave?) I can only find the Prive in edc/aftershave, not the PpH.
    Much obliged, David.

Cheers,
    Mario
    If you'll come across the bottle that says "Cologne" it's not an aftershave, but a full-blooded, thoroughred EDT. Jean Patou targeted the bottles that went to American market as "Cologne". Because the word used to sell better there at that time for mens fragrances.

I'm not aware of EDC which might be the same as aftershave.
    Last edited by df91; 29th March 2014 at 02:34 PM.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DolceThaDon View Post
    Yup, it is ridiculous how most sales person's in the fragrance industry dont know a damn thing about the fragrances they sell .. Half of them dont even know what a reformulation is...
    My view also. There are the exceptions to be sure but a working knowledge should be the norm for SAs rather then the exception. As I have said before I blame management for allowing ill-trained SAs to represent the store (and the fragrance industry by default).
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

For those that have purchased the reissue, how would you rate the projection and longevity? The sample that I had was only 2ml and it smells great on the top, but seemed to dry down to a skin scent fairly quickly. It's the only thing holding me back from making a purchase. Also, for those that have noted similarities between this to Aramis Devin, which do you prefer?

For those that have purchased the reissue, how would you rate the projection and longevity?
    Speaking only for myself, projection and longevity are very good on my skin.

Thanks.