Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 121 to 180 of 222
  1. #121

    Cool Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by df91 View Post
    If you'll come across the bottle that says "Cologne" it's not an aftershave, but a full-blooded, thoroughred EDT. Jean Patou targeted the bottles that went to American market as "Cologne". Because the word used to sell better there at that time for mens fragrances.

    I'm not aware of EDC which might be the same as aftershave.
    You're right. The "Cologne" seems to be the regular EdT strenght.
    However I did find an "Aftershave" via Google for sale on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/patou-pour-homme

    This is the one the worthy David was praising to the sky. It went for about $150.
    I assume the aftershave is around EdC strength?

    Nope, I didn't get it because :

    1. I still have about 1/4 of the vintage EdT left

    And

    2. I agree with David's recommendation: One should not get one that's out of the sealed box. This one was a tester and I don't want to speculate on a tester that's been out of the box for who knows how many decades since it was discontinued.
    Braver souls may order it, I think they have 2 bottles left.

    What about David's point that the regular EdT version is too strong?
    Well, he's right again. PPH is a monster!

    But it's my favorite monster
    My solution has been simple; half a spritz on the chest, period.

    Cheers,

    Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 4th April 2014 at 09:10 PM.
    My Wardrobe

    Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

    Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

    My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

  2. #122

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    The vintage, both aftershave and edt are just awesome. The aftershave is in a way even better than the EDT. Luckily they sometimes are available on internet auction sites.

    The reissued version is not bad scent at all but imo is not enough to conpensate the originals (AS and EDT).
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

  3. #123

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    I've heard the PPH aftershave is still a good alternative to the vintage cologne, considering the significant difference in price.

    Is it possible that the PPH aftershave is at least as good or better than PPH reformulated?
    IMO the PPH aftershave is clearly a better choice. Tried today to my other arm vintage PPH Aftershave, other arm the PPH reformulated, the aftershave is like from another planet.... it's so good . It has the same notes pyramid than the vintage EDT but a little more subtle (which is not a bad thing at all as the EDT strength is even too strong). In aftershave there's some note, not sure if it's vetiver - that is more noticeable than in EDT -whatever it is, it makes the aftershave just great.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

  4. #124

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    I ended up buying a bottle today. In fact, there is something about the top notes in this fragrance that I enjoy just as much as the vintage juice (gasp!). If it's one thing I can say about this fragrance, it is that it has character. This isn't some non descript nice smelling thing. It has it's own fingerprint. Hopefully the late dry down is okay. I feel like the sample I got from First in Fragrance was too little to fully evaluate the fragrance. Hopefully this is not just one of my "I need it because I don't have it" episodes. Hopefully the love lasts. I am encouraged though by those that have purchased the fragrance who mentioned that they are still very happy with the product.

  5. #125
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Bzios
    Posts
    79,744

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by litworth View Post
    I ended up buying a bottle today. In fact, there is something about the top notes in this fragrance that I enjoy just as much as the vintage juice (gasp!). If it's one thing I can say about this fragrance, it is that it has character. This isn't some non descript nice smelling thing. It has it's own fingerprint. Hopefully the late dry down is okay. I feel like the sample I got from First in Fragrance was too little to fully evaluate the fragrance. Hopefully this is not just one of my "I need it because I don't have it" episodes. Hopefully the love lasts. I am encouraged though by those that have purchased the fragrance who mentioned that they are still very happy with the product.
    Congrats on your bottle purchase litworth! My bet is the love will definitely last.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

  6. #126

  7. #127

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    for those of you that have purchased a bottle, can you share how many sprays you typically use? i use about 8 sprays as the sprayer seems to produce much smaller sprays than say a creed sprayer would. Im wandering if i am being excessive and possibly suffering from nose fatigue. also, can those that have it comment on similarities to devin? one bn member said it was very close and Im interested to see if there some concensus about that observation...

  8. #128

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    In all my years on basenotes, this is the one scent that people seem to have the most difficulty in offering a comparison scent as a point of reference. I'm speaking of the re-issue.

    One day I will simply break down and order the darn thing. Easily the most frustrating challenge I have faced in my years in this hobby. What does this smell like?!

  9. #129

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    ...What does this smell like?!
    My guess is that after you try it your answer to that question will be, "something I could live without." LOL.

  10. #130

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    My guess is that after you try it your answer to that question will be, "something I could live without." LOL.
    You're probably right...I've been living quite well without it! This is a first world problem to be sure, but we are on a cologne website, so I have free reign to whine! Lol!

  11. #131

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    It smells like a modernized version of vintage patou pour homme. Similar to the difference between vintage Guerlain and the next to latest reformulation of that scent. If someone that is familiar with Vintage PPH smelled the reissue on you, they would probably recognize it as Pph. The reason you have not heard it compared to many other things is that it's actually quite unique. It has it's own character. Sorry I can't offer more.

  12. #132
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Bzios
    Posts
    79,744

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by litworth View Post
    for those of you that have purchased a bottle, can you share how many sprays you typically use?
    Three sprays of this has worked just fine for me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

  13. #133
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    6,873

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Smelled it briefly on a cotton ball the other day. Smelled like a decent woody citrus. No Patou pour Homme in site. Try again soon. Not in a hurry.

  14. #134
    vita odorifera
    perfaddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lagos
    Posts
    7,485
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    The last time i used the vintage was in the early 80s. Spraying on from a sample of the reissue, the first thing i noticed was that the reissue did not have the initial peppery blast the vintage had, though the smell is the same. That apart, the reissue is great, IMO. Will be getting this soon.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

    #BBOG!

  15. #135

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    The last time i used the vintage was in the early 80s. Spraying on from a sample of the reissue, the first thing i noticed was that the reissue did not have the initial peppery blast the vintage had, though the smell is the same. That apart, the reissue is great, IMO. Will be getting this soon.
    It's still on my short list of four scents I want. Is it more of a Fall cooler weather type of scent?

  16. #136

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by litworth View Post
    for those of you that have purchased a bottle, can you share how many sprays you typically use? i use about 8 sprays as the sprayer seems to produce much smaller sprays than say a creed sprayer would. Im wandering if i am being excessive and possibly suffering from nose fatigue. also, can those that have it comment on similarities to devin? one bn member said it was very close and Im interested to see if there some concensus about that observation...
    This lasts all day on me with just 3 sprays.

  17. #137

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    I'm sorry but this smells like nothing. It doesn't do anything for me. It's disturbingly overpriced trash. It smells like an amped up Hugo Boss fragrance.

  18. #138

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    I ordered something from the Essenza-Nobile site in Germany and I was then eligible to order 3 samples as well. I noticed they had the new Patou Pour Homme, so I thought I would make it one of my samples.

    Let me just say that the new Patou Pour Homme smells NOTHING similar to the vintage PPH. It is HORRIBLE! The difference is so stark that I think the company should be sued for misleading people into thinking PPH is back! Because that was CLEARLY their intent. Someone who buys this expecting it to smell exactly (or similar to) the wonderful vintage PPH will be extremely disappointed. I would never have guessed the two shared the same name in a million years.

    Chuck, you wondered if someone could share what the new PPH smells like and apparently no one could come up with anything. Now I see why. It is simply a mess.. And considering what they are asking for this "mess," it is indeed a travesty.

    I am so glad I didn't try to blind buy this. I would have been very angry. I wouldn't wear it if a bottle of it was given to me.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...erruti-TheVert

    Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

  19. #139

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    QUOTE=RedRaider430;3220527]I ordered something from the Essenza-Nobile site in Germany and I was then eligible to order 3 samples as well. I noticed they had the new Patou Pour Homme, so I thought I would make it one of my samples.

    Let me just say that the new Patou Pour Homme smells NOTHING similar to the vintage PPH. It is HORRIBLE! The difference is so stark that I think the company should be sued for misleading people into thinking PPH is back! Because that was CLEARLY their intent. Someone who buys this expecting it to smell exactly (or similar to) the wonderful vintage PPH will be extremely disappointed. I would never have guessed the two shared the same name in a million years.

    Chuck, you wondered if someone could share what the new PPH smells like and apparently no one could come up with anything. Now I see why. It is simply a mess.. And considering what they are asking for this "mess," it is indeed a travesty.

    I am so glad I didn't try to blind buy this. I would have been very angry. I wouldn't wear it if a bottle of it was given to me.[/QUOTE]



    Thank you so much! I can give up now and quit holding my breath. I appreciate your honest assessment. It explains a lot.

  20. #140

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    I think anyone willing to spend that much would be better off buying vintage PPH aftershave instead, because it has good longevity and is somewhere between PPH EdT and vintage Perry Ellis for Men (1985), IMO, which isn't a bad place to be !

  21. #141

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    I have been wearing Patou Pour Homme since the 80s.
    For many years it was my signature weekend fragrance and I have exhausted a number of bottles.
    I still have a quantity of vintage juice that exhibits the usual PPH ageing characteristics (ie. the brightness of the top notes is faded).
    Therefore, I feel I am somewhat qualified to give an opinion in this thread.

    I finally managed to test the re-issue recently and can say with confidence that this is a solid attempt to reproduce the original.
    As soon as I sprayed it on, there was no doubt that it was PPH.
    Obviously, it is not 100% identical to the vintage... with the changes in regulations and rare ingredient availability, this would be impossible.
    However, given the challenges, I think the effort is solid.

    When I read posts stating that the re-issue is unrecognisable as PPH, I just scratch my head.
    I do not have an expert nose, but for me it is at least 80% similar to the vintage, which is enough for me to scratch the PPH itch.
    When my vintage stash runs out, and if I still want to wear PPH, I would happily wear the re-issue as a substitute.

    The problem with vintage PPH is that the bottles are unsealed.
    The 90ml spay bottle allowed you to unscrew the pump so that you could refill the bottle.
    The 60ml and 120ml "splash" bottles were actually used to refill the spray bottle.
    This means it is just too easy (and tempting) to refill vintage glass and sell it to anyone silly enough to pay the ridiculous prices asked on eBay.
    I have seen photos of "vintage" PPH EDT that are far too "orange" to be the real juice.

    So if you think the re-issue smells nothing like your "vintage" PPH, then your "vintage" juice may be fake, or has badly turned.
    Alternatively, your nose may be honing in on the notes that are different, rather than the notes that are unchanged.
    My nose is certainly honing in on the similarities.

    In summary, the re-issue is quite faithful to the original... and I can't wait for all this "vintage hype" on Basenotes to finally end.
    The sky is not falling Chicken Little.

  22. #142

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey View Post
    I have been wearing Patou Pour Homme since the 80s.
    For many years it was my signature weekend fragrance and I have exhausted a number of bottles.
    I still have a quantity of vintage juice that exhibits the usual PPH ageing characteristics (ie. the brightness of the top notes is faded).
    Therefore, I feel I am somewhat qualified to give an opinion in this thread.

    I finally managed to test the re-issue recently and can say with confidence that this is a solid attempt to reproduce the original.
    As soon as I sprayed it on, there was no doubt that it was PPH.
    Obviously, it is not 100% identical to the vintage... with the changes in regulations and rare ingredient availability, this would be impossible.
    However, given the challenges, I think the effort is solid.

    When I read posts stating that the re-issue is unrecognisable as PPH, I just scratch my head.
    I do not have an expert nose, but for me it is at least 80% similar to the vintage, which is enough for me to scratch the PPH itch.
    When my vintage stash runs out, and if I still want to wear PPH, I would happily wear the re-issue as a substitute.

    The problem with vintage PPH is that the bottles are unsealed.
    The 90ml spay bottle allowed you to unscrew the pump so that you could refill the bottle.
    The 60ml and 120ml "splash" bottles were actually used to refill the spray bottle.
    This means it is just too easy (and tempting) to refill vintage glass and sell it to anyone silly enough to pay the ridiculous prices asked on eBay.
    I have seen photos of "vintage" PPH EDT that are far too "orange" to be the real juice.

    So if you think the re-issue smells nothing like your "vintage" PPH, then your "vintage" juice may be fake, or has badly turned.
    Alternatively, your nose may be honing in on the notes that are different, rather than the notes that are unchanged.
    My nose is certainly honing in on the similarities.

    In summary, the re-issue is quite faithful to the original... and I can't wait for all this "vintage hype" on Basenotes to finally end.
    The sky is not falling Chicken Little.
    When you just say "vintage hype" and don't explain what you mean, do you realize that it's likely to offend the people who do detect significant differences in at least some reformulations? And if you are not aware, the prices on ebay suggest that "vintage hype" is getting a lot stronger. I'd also mention how markets in collectibles seem to work, but I'm going to create a post on my blog about it so I'll just save the few ideas I have in mind right now. However, with scents, I'll mention that they get used up, unlike other collectibles, and that rarely is there a "crash" unless there is first an obvious "bubble," which certainly has not occurred with scents, especially when one considers the retail prices on the designer offerings these days.

  23. #143

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    When you just say "vintage hype" and don't explain what you mean, do you realize that it's likely to offend the people who do detect significant differences in at least some reformulations? And if you are not aware, the prices on ebay suggest that "vintage hype" is getting a lot stronger. I'd also mention how markets in collectibles seem to work, but I'm going to create a post on my blog about it so I'll just save the few ideas I have in mind right now. However, with scents, I'll mention that they get used up, unlike other collectibles, and that rarely is there a "crash" unless there is first an obvious "bubble," which certainly has not occurred with scents, especially when one considers the retail prices on the designer offerings these days.
    Well... "Vintage hype" includes declarations that the new PPH is nothing like vintage PPH - which is wrong.
    I think some of this hype is fueled by those trying to add value to the vintage juice they own.
    Those dealing in collectibles may be part of the problem.
    While I may offend some, I feel I am protecting newbies from spending too much chasing vintage PPH and being very disappointed - or completely ripped off.
    I hope this clarifies my previous post.

  24. #144

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey View Post
    Well... "Vintage hype" includes declarations that the new PPH is nothing like vintage PPH - which is wrong.
    I think some of this hype is fueled by those trying to add value to the vintage juice they own.
    Those dealing in collectibles may be part of the problem.
    While I may offend some, I feel I am protecting newbies from spending too much chasing vintage PPH and being very disappointed - or completely ripped off.
    I hope this clarifies my previous post.
    What I've noticed with scents like vintage PPH is that they are better than even the "best" niche in terms of depth and complexity, though the smell itself can be very close. Niche seems to go for "strength" and sometimes richness, but it can never attain depth and complexity at that level. Sure, few if any "newbies" can tell the difference, and many probably like the niche (or even designer) ideas better. At first, I did too. With something like PPH, there was already a collectible market established for it before the reissue, which may have been the reason for the reissue. As many have said, we don't live in a perfect world, and with PPH with have the added problem that you can screw the caps off, unlike most others of that era, so that is important information. Otherwise, I would suggest people take the advice of reviewers with whom they seem to share the same olfactory sensibilities.

  25. #145

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey View Post
    Well... "Vintage hype" includes declarations that the new PPH is nothing like vintage PPH - which is wrong.
    Unfortunately, most re-issues / continued production fragrances don't stand up to the originals or how they were in the past - like Bel Ami / Equipage / Chanel Pour Monsieur etc - so while vintage hype is seen, there's a lot of truth to it...

  26. #146

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    What I've noticed with scents like vintage PPH is that they are better than even the "best" niche . . . Niche seems to go for "strength" and sometimes richness, but it can never attain depth and complexity at that level. Sure, few if any "newbies" can tell the difference, and many probably like the niche (or even designer) ideas better.
    "The best niche" what? Are you saying there are no niche fragrances as complex as vintage Patou PH? Most of the Amouage range is as deep and complex as Patou, if not more so. Many Lutens compositions are also. Ever smell Bois de Violette? And these are only two brands. There are hundreds of niche brands - thousands of perfumes fall under that umbrella. Your statement is the equivalent of looking up at the night sky and saying that out of the billions of stars, none has a planet similar to Earth orbiting it. Such a statement is automatically wrong, on a mathematical level, let alone a simple common sense level. Of course there aren't as many niche perfumes as there are stars, but there are more than you and I will ever smell in our lives, even with constant sampling on a daily basis (new frags keep popping up every month). You paint with far too broad a brush by saying that one designer scent is better than an entire segment of the global market, and I feel that neutralizes whatever point you're trying to get across. I've worn vintage and current Patou PH. Both were wonderful to my nose. Slight different, and better than SOME niche and designer frags in terms of depth and complexity. There are literally dozens of others that are as impressive. The reissue of Derby, YSL's Kouros, and any Amouage are right on the same level imo. And there are dozens that don't even come close.
    Last edited by HankHarvey; 17th August 2014 at 04:09 AM.

  27. #147

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by HankHarvey View Post
    "The best niche" what? Are you saying there are no niche fragrances as complex as vintage Patou PH? Most of the Amouage range is as deep and complex as Patou, if not more so. Many Lutens compositions are also. Ever smell Bois de Violette? And these are only two brands. There are hundreds of niche brands - thousands of perfumes fall under that umbrella. Your statement is the equivalent of looking up at the night sky and saying that out of the billions of stars, none has a planet similar to Earth orbiting it. Such a statement is automatically wrong, on a mathematical level, let alone a simple common sense level. Of course there aren't as many niche perfumes as there are stars, but there are more than you and I will ever smell in our lives, even with constant sampling on a daily basis (new frags keep popping up every month). You paint with far too broad a brush by saying that one designer scent is better than an entire segment of the global market, and I feel that neutralizes whatever point you're trying to get across. I've worn vintage and current Patou PH. Both were wonderful to my nose. Slight different, and better than SOME niche and designer frags in terms of depth and complexity. There are literally dozens of others that are as impressive. The reissue of Derby, YSL's Kouros, and any Amouage are right on the same level imo. And there are dozens that don't even come close.
    Right, i should have said complexity with depth. And of course this is my opinion (and I have tried a few Amouage and more than a few other niche with large note pyramids).

  28. #148

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Right, i should have said complexity with depth. And of course this is my opinion (and I have tried a few Amouage and more than a few other niche with large note pyramids).
    Ah, then I must conclude that this is a case of having a negative bias against niche perfumes for some unfathomable reason. Good to know! LOL

  29. #149

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by HankHarvey View Post
    Ah, then I must conclude that this is a case of having a negative bias against niche perfumes for some unfathomable reason. Good to know! LOL
    I have more than a few niche bottles that I enjoy but I just don't perceive the depth. I think the reason may have to do with sensitivity. That is, niche comes across to me as much "harder," and so I can't get the same amount of depth because that obscures it. Vintage can dry down to a much softer feel, and that allows for perception of depth. I have no idea how many other people perceive scents this way but I have read blogs and reviews that suggest this is the case for at least some people.

  30. #150

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I have more than a few niche bottles that I enjoy but I just don't perceive the depth. I think the reason may have to do with sensitivity. That is, niche comes across to me as much "harder," and so I can't get the same amount of depth because that obscures it. Vintage can dry down to a much softer feel, and that allows for perception of depth. I have no idea how many other people perceive scents this way but I have read blogs and reviews that suggest this is the case for at least some people.
    Why didn't you just say that before? That was a sensible and measured statement, and now I understand you better. Thanks for clarifying that.

  31. #151

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by HankHarvey View Post
    Why didn't you just say that before? That was a sensible and measured statement, and now I understand you better. Thanks for clarifying that.
    Well, that's one reason for my blog, that is, these things need to be "worked through," and you don't necessarily think about them unless someone asks you questions that get you thinking along different lines. This is similar to something one person asked me on my blog yesterday. The issue related to giving him an idea what a scent (Club Man/Azzaro) was like, particularly the wood and musk. I didn't fully realize it until then, but if I'm not in the mood for a scent, then it's not a good idea for me to assess it, because there's a good chance I will have a more negative impression than when I feel that I am in the mood. That possibly being the case I want to wait until I am in the mood to wear it again before being more definitive in my assessment.

  32. #152

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey View Post
    I finally managed to test the re-issue recently and can say with confidence that this is a solid attempt to reproduce the original. As soon as I sprayed it on, there was no doubt that it was PPH. Obviously, it is not 100% identical to the vintage... with the changes in regulations and rare ingredient availability, this would be impossible. However, given the challenges, I think the effort is solid.
    I am quite familiar with PPH, too, and one explanation for me not smelling any similarity to the vintage PPH is that my sample from Essenza-Nobile may have gotten mixed up somehow. That's always a possibility, but I wouldn't think too likely.

    After reading the posts on all 4 pages of this thread, I see numerous others who have also been very unimpressed with the reissued PPH. I have not done a tally, but just from reading all the posts, it seems as though there are more people who DON'T like the new PPH than like it.

    If it was really a close match, there should be a clear majority of people who like it, but that's not what I'm seeing.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...erruti-TheVert

    Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

  33. #153

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey View Post
    I have been wearing Patou Pour Homme since the 80s.
    For many years it was my signature weekend fragrance and I have exhausted a number of bottles.
    I still have a quantity of vintage juice that exhibits the usual PPH ageing characteristics (ie. the brightness of the top notes is faded).
    Therefore, I feel I am somewhat qualified to give an opinion in this thread.

    I finally managed to test the re-issue recently and can say with confidence that this is a solid attempt to reproduce the original.
    As soon as I sprayed it on, there was no doubt that it was PPH.
    Obviously, it is not 100% identical to the vintage... with the changes in regulations and rare ingredient availability, this would be impossible.
    However, given the challenges, I think the effort is solid.

    When I read posts stating that the re-issue is unrecognisable as PPH, I just scratch my head.
    I do not have an expert nose, but for me it is at least 80% similar to the vintage, which is enough for me to scratch the PPH itch.
    When my vintage stash runs out, and if I still want to wear PPH, I would happily wear the re-issue as a substitute.

    The problem with vintage PPH is that the bottles are unsealed.
    The 90ml spay bottle allowed you to unscrew the pump so that you could refill the bottle.
    The 60ml and 120ml "splash" bottles were actually used to refill the spray bottle.
    This means it is just too easy (and tempting) to refill vintage glass and sell it to anyone silly enough to pay the ridiculous prices asked on eBay.
    I have seen photos of "vintage" PPH EDT that are far too "orange" to be the real juice.

    So if you think the re-issue smells nothing like your "vintage" PPH, then your "vintage" juice may be fake, or has badly turned.
    Alternatively, your nose may be honing in on the notes that are different, rather than the notes that are unchanged.
    My nose is certainly honing in on the similarities.

    In summary, the re-issue is quite faithful to the original... and I can't wait for all this "vintage hype" on Basenotes to finally end.
    The sky is not falling Chicken Little.
    Respectfully, disagree with you on this. Sorry. My nose is certainly no better than yours that's for sure. This thead prompted me to give both yet another parallel testing on the skin and on blotters. I had three non-fragrancefreaks, (that's a toungue twister for sure !) round for brunch and asked for their opinions. All of them perceived two completely different fragrances after smelling the new version along side the old.
    If I change my opinion, (which could happen) I certainly will report back on this thread. I respect your differing views, but to my nose there is no similarity whatsoever.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

  34. #154

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    I am quite familiar with PPH, too, and one explanation for me not smelling any similarity to the vintage PPH is that my sample from Essenza-Nobile may have gotten mixed up somehow. That's always a possibility, but I wouldn't think too likely.
    After reading the posts on all 4 pages of this thread, I see numerous others who have also been very unimpressed with the reissued PPH. I have not done a tally, but just from reading all the posts, it seems as though there are more people who DON'T like the new PPH than like it.
    If it was really a close match, there should be a clear majority of people who like it, but that's not what I'm seeing.
    I agree that many people are claiming zero similarity to vintage PPH and are dismissing the re-issue to the fragrance graveyard.
    Their evidence seems to be a comparison to some "vintage PPH" sample they received from a website or eBay.
    How many people who bought and wore fresh PPH in the 80s have actually stated that the re-issue has zero resemblance? It is unclear to me how many of the "clear majority" fall into this category.
    Like I have said, the re-issue is not identical to the vintage. However, anyone who has worn the vintage (in good condition) and is truly familiar with it will easily recognise the re-issue as PPH.
    IMHO, it is close enough to scratch the itch if you want to smell PPH.

    One of the reasons why I finally felt compelled to call out the claims of "no similarity to PPH" is that they are potentially damaging.
    After so many requests from consumers, the owners of the brand finally re-issued a version that is quite faithful to the original - which is extraordinary given the new regulations and rarity of ingredients today.
    I am getting the impression that brash, incorrect statements (incorrect in my opinion) that the re-issue is nothing like vintage PPH are turning off Basenoters in droves.
    They simply dismiss it as rubbish before they even try it because of posts by people who never experienced fresh PPH in the 80s.
    This could lead to the re-release being a failure and PPH being ended for good.
    This would be such a shame because the re-release is a solid product and will give consumers a PPH experience close to the original.


    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Respectfully, disagree with you on this. Sorry. My nose is certainly no better than yours that's for sure. This thead prompted me to give both yet another parallel testing on the skin and on blotters. I had three non-fragrancefreaks, (that's a toungue twister for sure !) round for brunch and asked for their opinions. All of them perceived two completely different fragrances after smelling the new version along side the old.
    If I change my opinion, (which could happen) I certainly will report back on this thread. I respect your differing views, but to my nose there is no similarity whatsoever.
    David, I have read many of your posts and you are always a gentleman (as is Bigsly).
    My nose is average at best, but I am extremely experienced with PPH having worn it from the 80s to today.
    To find "no similarity whatsoever" to vintage PPH suggests your vintage juice may be compromised.
    I see you are French... are you comparing the re-issue to a vintage bottle you purchased from a local French department store or perfume shop before it was discontinued?

  35. #155

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey View Post
    I am extremely experienced with PPH having worn it from the 80s to today.
    How close do you think they are?

  36. #156
    Dimitrios's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Beyond the Blue Mountains
    Posts
    3,240

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    musky-monkey ......
    perhaps the aged more matured & slightly stankier PPH that the majority of BN'ers have tried & refering to as reference , over this past decade
    "is better than it was fresh in the 80's"

    cheers

  37. #157

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    musky-monkey ......
    perhaps the aged more matured & slightly stankier PPH that the majority of BN'ers have tried & refering to as reference , over this past decade
    "is better than it was fresh in the 80's"

    cheers
    Which means the reissue could smell exactly like it also after aging 25 years. Heck, I think nearly anything would.

  38. #158

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey View Post
    Like I have said, the re-issue is not identical to the vintage. However, anyone who has worn the vintage (in good condition) and is truly familiar with it will easily recognise the re-issue as PPH.
    IMHO, it is close enough to scratch the itch if you want to smell PPH.

    One of the reasons why I finally felt compelled to call out the claims of "no similarity to PPH" is that they are potentially damaging.
    After so many requests from consumers, the owners of the brand finally re-issued a version that is quite faithful to the original - which is extraordinary given the new regulations and rarity of ingredients today.
    I agree on this. The new version can sure be recognized as a attempt to recreate the PPH, i believe they really tried their best with today's "raw materials". Personally I will continue to wear, and enjoy wearing the original stuff.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

  39. #159
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Bzios
    Posts
    79,744

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by df91 View Post
    The new version can sure be recognized as a attempt to recreate the PPH, i believe they really tried their best with today's "raw materials".
    Agree, a worthy reissue IMO.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

  40. #160

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue



    Hi Musky Monkey. This is the original Patou Pour Homme from my collection. I also have the 90ml spray version of the original release. Thanks for your kind words, by the way, (gentleman) The stock I have is in my view in immaculate condition. The juice is clear and has been protected by light. I personally do not think that this fragrance improves with age. A friend of mine who lives in Paris sent me several samples of the re-released PPH from the boutique in Paris. I asked her to question the staff about the new PPH and she told me that the they told her, " the new release PPH was not a copy of the original PPH and was never intented to be. It is a new fragrance designed to appeal to a younger generation clientele". This probably explains why it smells different to the original fragrance.
    Last edited by david; 17th August 2014 at 10:44 PM.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

  41. #161

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Holy Cow, seems like someone struck the mother lode!

  42. #162

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    A friend of mine who lives in Paris sent me several samples of the re-released PPH from the boutique in Paris. I asked her to question the staff about the new PPH and she told me that the they told her, " the new release PPH was not a copy of the original PPH and was never intented to be. It is a new fragrance designed to appeal to a younger generation clientele". This probably explains why it smells different to the original fragrance.
    I'm pretty sure that Thomas Fontaine stated otherwise (or at least nothing whatsoever that indicated a new fragrance) and that I have read about it in one of these threads here on BN. Would be mighty stupid to create a new fragrance that is meant to appeal to a younger target group and then name it "Patou Pour Homme" as part of the "Heritage"-collection, wouldn't it.

  43. #163
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    6,873

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Forgot all about it. Have to go try it again. Don't remember it smelling like Patou pour Homme, though. :-)

  44. #164

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post

    Sorry folks - slightly off topic, but...

    Oh David - beautiful bottles of PPH + all those wonderful Guerlain's - assuming they are all Derby??? You are a fragrance millionaire just with those 12 bottles!!! Did you ever post pictures of all your fragrances??? If so please do send the link...

  45. #165

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    How close do you think they are?
    When I sampled the re-issue, what struck me was the extra "fruitiness" of the re-issue being the main difference with the vintage.
    The vintage PPH also has this note, but in the vintage it seems to be better controlled.

    I read an interview with Thomas Fontaine who stated that "You can smell vanilla, lavender and fir balsam here also—it gives the sweet fruity-sugary and strawberry note to the perfume." See http://www.fragrantica.com/news/Perf...atou-4338.html

    After reading this interview, I suspect that the extra fruitiness I detect in the re-issue is the fir balsam.
    I'm not sure why this has been cranked up in the re-issue, but I suspect it was part of the tweaking require to compensate for the new regulations and ingredient availability problems.

    My current hypothesis (which is likely to crash and burn) is that there are two camps: those who are very sensitive to this fir balsam/fruity note and those who are less sensitive.
    Camp A: If you are very sensitive to this note, your nose will hone in on it and declare that the re-issue is very different to the vintage.
    Camp B: If you are less sensitive to this note, your nose will still pick it up, but move past this, and identify all the other similarities to the vintage.

    David seems to be in camp A. I seem to be in camp B.
    This may explain the extraordinary situation where some people find the re-issue a solid attempt to recreate the original, while others find it completely different.

  46. #166

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Wow... I am going to gather a fellowship of Hobbits and we are going on a quest to steal your riches!
    ....and after that we are heading over the Hednic's place!

  47. #167

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Thomas Fontaine stated otherwise (or at least nothing whatsoever that indicated a new fragrance) and that I have read about it in one of these threads here on BN. Would be mighty stupid to create a new fragrance that is meant to appeal to a younger target group and then name it "Patou Pour Homme" as part of the "Heritage"-collection, wouldn't it.
    Nasenmann, I too read a couple of articles that said words to that effect, but perhaps it was propagander/marketing from the company ? PPH original has been obsolete for many years now and perhaps the company thought they could get away with saying it was the same stuff... not that many people know the original fragrance nowadays.
    Also, people hate me saying this, but PPH was in fact a huge flop. It was discontinued quite early on. Many people thought it a very "dated" fragrance when it was released in 1980. At the time I was working in the Ka De We store and I remember it being on clearance sale in the mid 80's. It was certainly not a good seller. So why would they produce an re-run of a flop 35 years later ? Many other companies have re-issued oldies as part of their "heritage" collection and many of these do not smell at all similar to the originals.
    I respect your views and I am not trying to argue with you, just saying what I know and what I have been told. Also, I agree with others when they say the new PPH is in it's own right a good fragrance, but not worth the price tag.
    Last edited by david; 18th August 2014 at 05:39 PM.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

  48. #168

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey View Post
    Wow... I am going to gather a fellowship of Hobbits and we are going on a quest to steal your riches!
    ....and after that we are heading over the Hednic's place!
    Count me in, Gandalf! Finally someone that speaks sense!

  49. #169

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    'Those who wore it fresh in the 80s...' PpH was still produced in 2001 so anyone could wear it fresh in the 00s too.
    The orig. PpH had a dry bitter herbal edge, loads of oakmoss and bourbon vetiver (one of its main feat) without these how can the reissue be even close to vintage? Is now bourbon vetiver also restricted? There are many examples of pretty good modern reissues/versions of classic masculines (Bel Ami, Havana, Derby, JHL, Jules, Yohji Homme, Tiffany for Men.... ), the new PpH is definitely not among them, in my opinion.

  50. #170

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    'Those who wore it fresh in the 80s...' PpH was still produced in 2001 so anyone could wear it fresh in the 00s too.
    The orig. PpH had a dry bitter herbal edge, loads of oakmoss and bourbon vetiver (one of its main feat) without these how can the reissue be even close to vintage? Is now bourbon vetiver also restricted? There are many examples of pretty good modern reissues/versions of classic masculines (Bel Ami, Havana, Derby, JHL, Jules, Yohji Homme, Tiffany for Men.... ), the new PpH is definitely not among them, in my opinion.
    You don't identify which country you are from ? In my post I spoke clearly from my experiences in Germany. There the fragrance died a death after approximately 5 years. Maybe as in the case of Furyo, after its demise mass stocks ended up in another part of the globe. Furyo was "dumped" in Skandinavia, (especialy Finland) where it was much loved and appreciated. In Germany PPH was not appreciated. It floped and died. I think personally the main problem with the reconstruction of PPH would be the Mysore sandalwood. NOTHING comes close. Australian sandalwood is just not comparable and totally inferior, as are synthetic variations. Most of the other "ingredients" in PPH I would have thought are fairly straightforward ?
    There is defintely no substitute for Mysore sandalwood.
    There have been some good examples of re-issues indeed, but there have been some poor ones too. I personally find some of the Lancome's less than satisfactory. I certainly agree with you in the case of PPH. I find the re-issue unrecognisable.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

  51. #171

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    I can't imagine the drydown of the new one being satisfactory for me (based upon extensive study of these kinds of reformulations), and that is what matters to me, and I'm the one being asked to pay the money! LOL.

  52. #172

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey View Post
    When I sampled the re-issue, what struck me was the extra "fruitiness" of the re-issue being the main difference with the vintage.
    The vintage PPH also has this note, but in the vintage it seems to be better controlled.

    I read an interview with Thomas Fontaine who stated that "You can smell vanilla, lavender and fir balsam here also—it gives the sweet fruity-sugary and strawberry note to the perfume." See http://www.fragrantica.com/news/Perf...atou-4338.html

    After reading this interview, I suspect that the extra fruitiness I detect in the re-issue is the fir balsam.
    I'm not sure why this has been cranked up in the re-issue, but I suspect it was part of the tweaking require to compensate for the new regulations and ingredient availability problems.

    My current hypothesis (which is likely to crash and burn) is that there are two camps: those who are very sensitive to this fir balsam/fruity note and those who are less sensitive.
    Camp A: If you are very sensitive to this note, your nose will hone in on it and declare that the re-issue is very different to the vintage.
    Camp B: If you are less sensitive to this note, your nose will still pick it up, but move past this, and identify all the other similarities to the vintage.

    David seems to be in camp A. I seem to be in camp B.
    This may explain the extraordinary situation where some people find the re-issue a solid attempt to recreate the original, while others find it completely different.
    Very interesting !
    I never get a strawberry / sweet/ fruity note with the original PPH. What I do get is what I can only describe as a wonderful indigo/ "silky violet" accord going on in the background. This accord is very prominent in the after shave, (which I personally prefer) and tends to be drowned out in the edt strength PPH. This "silky violet" accord accord can also be found in Luciano Pavarotti for Men, but I find it slightly more of a "woody violet" accord in this fragrance.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

  53. #173

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    To David:
    In 2011 I met Jean Kerleo twice at Osmotheque and got that info from him. P&G dumped PpH when they took over JP, they were only interested in it if they could make a ton of it which was a no-go. I also asked him about Mysore in regards to a possible reformulation, he said that Mysore would not be a problem as there's only a little of it in Pph. I also smelled his 2011 remake of Pph and that one, unlike the official reissue, is a very recognisable remake indeed.

  54. #174

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Nasenmann, I too read a couple of articles that said words to that effect, but perhaps it was propagander/marketing from the company ? PPH original has been obsolete for many years now and perhaps the company thought they could get away with saying it was the same stuff... not that many people know the original fragrance nowadays.
    Also, people hate me saying this, but PPH was in fact a huge flop. It was discontinued quite early on. Many people thought it a very "dated" fragrance when it was released in 1980. At the time I was working in the Ka De We store and I remember it being on clearance sale in the mid 80's. It was certainly not a good seller. So why would they produce an re-run of a flop 35 years later ? Many other companies have re-issued oldies as part of their "heritage" collection and many of these do not smell at all similar to the originals.
    I respect your views and I am not trying to argue with you, just saying what I know and what I have been told. Also, I agree with others when they say the new PPH is in it's own right a good fragrance, but not worth the price tag.
    Please don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to say anything about the quality of the reissue. In fact I haven't managed to test it yet. I do doubt the statement of the Patou employee that told you that it wasn't meant to be a faithful remake though. That seems highly unlikely to me after everything we read in the wake of its release. Maybe they realized late in the process that given the current regulations it isn't possible to do an accurate remake and therefor the product should rather be advertised as a reimagining.

    The reasons for its resurrection seem obvious to me: it reached posthumous cult status, fans begging them and paying crazy prices for the remaining bottles.

  55. #175

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    ...PPH was in fact a huge flop...
    I remember in the 80s and 90s seing PPH on the shelves with Aramis, Antaeus, Kouros, Tuscany, Azzaro, Paco Rabanne, etc.
    PPH was a bit more expensive at the time, but not too much more.
    Perhaps 20 to 30% more expensive than the usual designer fragrances?
    People could sample them all, but very few people bought the PPH.
    It wasn't a price problem. Customers would sample the PPH, but actually preferred the other fragrances of the time.
    Perhaps it was a marketing problem?
    I never perceived it as "dated", but maybe other customers did?
    I'm not sure why it flopped.
    Last edited by musky_monkey; 19th August 2014 at 12:25 AM.

  56. #176

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    To David:
    In 2011 I met Jean Kerleo twice at Osmotheque and got that info from him. P&G dumped PpH when they took over JP, they were only interested in it if they could make a ton of it which was a no-go. I also asked him about Mysore in regards to a possible reformulation, he said that Mysore would not be a problem as there's only a little of it in Pph. I also smelled his 2011 remake of Pph and that one, unlike the official reissue, is a very recognisable remake indeed.
    Thanks for your post. Very interesting ! So there was indeed a direct copy of the original PPH made in 2011...but it was never released, instead we got a different new version. I wished they had released the direct copy version !!!
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

  57. #177

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Thanks for your post. Very interesting ! So there was indeed a direct copy of the original PPH made in 2011...but it was never released, instead we got a different new version. I wished they had released the direct copy version !!!
    Thomas Fontaine is the current perfumer for Patou and his version is the one that has been released as part of the Heritage collection. Kerleo, as you surely know, is the perfumer behind the original. I guess (!) that his attempts at a remake were/are meant as an effort for his Osmotheque and also out of personal curiosity rather then a commercial project.

  58. #178

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    " the new release PPH was not a copy of the original PPH and was never intented to be. It is a new fragrance designed to appeal to a younger generation clientele".
    I've never tried the original PPH, but this seems to be exactly what I'm smelling.
    For me it's basically an amped up Hugo Boss fragrance with higher concentration, projection, longevity and sillage.
    I'm very surprised that some people recognise the vintage PPH in this.
    I can't imagine something like this to be similar to a highly sought and praised vintage gem.

  59. #179

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    I've never tried the original PPH, but this seems to be exactly what I'm smelling.
    For me it's basically an amped up Hugo Boss fragrance with higher concentration, projection, longevity and sillage.
    I'm very surprised that some people recognise the vintage PPH in this.
    I can't imagine something like this to be similar to a highly sought and praised vintage gem.
    This really is a bizarre situation that has me scratching my head.
    We have experienced Basenoters who smell clear similarities... and we have experienced Basenoters who smell zero similarity.
    The human nose is really a remarkable device and it is probably a good thing that we perceive scents differently... lest the world be a more boring place.

    I just urge you caution... vintage PPH was not made from a unicorn's sweat or the saliva of a virgin priestess from Atlantis.
    Spraying PPH on your penis will not extend the length and girth (if it did, I would now be a porn star).
    It is a great fragrance, but the hype in the last few years has lofted it to levels it never had before it was discontinued.
    Be careful you do not get caught in the hype.
    Last edited by musky_monkey; 20th August 2014 at 12:43 AM.

  60. #180

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey View Post
    This really is a bizarre situation that has me scratching my head.
    We have experienced Basenoters who smell clear similarities... and we have experienced Basenoters who smell zero similarity.
    The human nose is really a remarkable device and it is probably a good thing that we perceive scents differently... lest the world be a more boring place.

    I just urge you caution... vintage PPH was not made from a unicorn's sweat or the saliva of a virgin priestess from Atlantis.
    Spraying PPH on your penis will not extend the length and girth (if it did, I would now be a porn star).
    It is a great fragrance, but the hype in the last few years has lofted it to levels it never had before it was discontinued.
    Be careful you do not get caught in the hype.
    Well, I think if you correlate what people are saying about the differences perceived, if any, with what the person has said in the past about other, similar situations, it might make at least a bit more sense. I've only tried vintage PPH, so I can only speak in general. With some "good" reformulations, the scent smells very similar, but is weaker and less complex and rich (and that is usually not satisfactory for me, unless there is no other option). In this case the top notes may have been changed in significant ways while the base was changed to the weaker/less complex and rich sort of thing. There are more than a couple of possibilities. I think the key question concerns what one is paying for. If you want to be able to say you are wearing PPH and want something that is at least somewhat similar, but a bit more "modern," then it might work for you. If you want 100% (or nearly so) vintage PPH I doubt you will get it.

Similar Threads

  1. Review: Patou Pour Homme, Jean Patou
    By yonggoh in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 21st March 2007, 03:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •