Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 181 to 222 of 222
  1. #181

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey View Post
    This really is a bizarre situation that has me scratching my head.
    We have experienced Basenoters who smell clear similarities... and we have experienced Basenoters who smell zero similarity.
    The human nose is really a remarkable device and it is probably a good thing that we perceive scents differently... lest the world be a more boring place.

    I just urge you caution... vintage PPH was not made from a unicorn's sweat or the saliva of a virgin priestess from Atlantis.
    Spraying PPH on your penis will not extend the length and girth (if it did, I would now be a porn star).
    It is a great fragrance, but the hype in the last few years has lofted it to levels it never had before it was discontinued.
    Be careful you do not get caught in the hype.
    LOL

    My problem is this statement by David:

    "Many people thought it a very "dated" fragrance when it was released in 1980."

    So I logically expected something old-school and dated.

    The thing is: the "new" PPH smells extremely modern to my nose.
    Certainly when I compare it to other old-school fragrances like Rive Gauche PH and Kouros.

  2. #182

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    I know it sounds like hyped buzzwords in this context but I really think PPH, like any masterpiece, is a timless composition. It has something quite mature about it and is reminiscent of classic masculines but at the same time it doesn't feel outdated or like a tired clichee in the slightest. In my opinion there is a good reason for its rise to cult status.

  3. #183

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    I'll tell you how different I thought the reissued one is to the original. The sample I was sent smelled like an acquatic cologne. Kind of fruity/beachy. Now THAT'S different!
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Vetiver Geranium, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...Ess-de-Cerruti

    Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Vetiver Geranium, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

  4. #184

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey View Post
    I remember in the 80s and 90s seing PPH on the shelves with Aramis, Antaeus, Kouros, Tuscany, Azzaro, Paco Rabanne, etc.
    PPH was a bit more expensive at the time, but not too much more.
    Perhaps 20 to 30% more expensive than the usual designer fragrances?
    People could sample them all, but very few people bought the PPH.
    It wasn't a price problem. Customers would sample the PPH, but actually preferred the other fragrances of the time.
    Perhaps it was a marketing problem?
    I never perceived it as "dated", but maybe other customers did?
    I'm not sure why it flopped.
    This is my experience of it too. I was a young guy (barely twenty) back in the late 1980s. I remember PPH but don't recall it being popular at all. I recall seeing it in department stores but it didn't sell in anywhere the volumes that others did - Kouros, Antaeus, Paco Rabanne Pour Homme and Fahrenheit.

    This is probably why I never bought a bottle and why I cannot remember how it smelled. Pretty sure I'd have bought it if I'd tried it.

  5. #185

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    I'll tell you how different I thought the reissued one is to the original. The sample I was sent smelled like an acquatic cologne. Kind of fruity/beachy. Now THAT'S different!
    'Fruity' is exactly right. The vintage PPH I've smelled (several bottles) was anything but 'fruity'.

  6. #186

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    I'll tell you how different I thought the reissued one is to the original. The sample I was sent smelled like an acquatic cologne. Kind of fruity/beachy. Now THAT'S different!
    Hahaha... never in a million years would I have expected anyone to call it aquatic!
    Thomas Fontaine better run to the hills!

  7. #187

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    ----double post---
    Last edited by musky_monkey; 20th August 2014 at 09:25 AM.

  8. #188

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    I'll tell you how different I thought the reissued one is to the original. The sample I was sent smelled like an acquatic cologne. Kind of fruity/beachy. Now THAT'S different!
    It's my SOTD for the third time now and I have to admit there is something slightly old-school in the drydown.
    Some woody-patchouli effect that I associate with the classics.
    But it's quite faint and the overall impression is very fresh, so I understand your fruity aquatic statement.

  9. #189

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    I'll tell you how different I thought the reissued one is to the original. The sample I was sent smelled like an acquatic cologne. Kind of fruity/beachy. Now THAT'S different!
    What I was getting at with that statement was to show just how UNLIKE the reissued PPH is to the original. Two completely different colognes, to my nose. The original PPH is an oriental fougere. I'm not sure how to classify the new PPH, but it certainly wouldn't be an "oriental fougere".

    And it looks like most of the folks on Fragrantica agree with me. http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/J...mme-21457.html

    I'll put it this way.....I don't see how it would be possible for the new to smell like the old when notes are comprised of the following....

    Original PPH: Top notes are lavender, clary sage and basil; middle notes are patchouli, geranium, vetiver and fir; base notes are leather, civet, vanilla and tonka bean.

    New PPH: Top notes are a blend of bergamot, lemon, galbanum and pepper, which give way to lavender, jasmine, rose, tarragon and violet in the heart. Base notes are patchouli, olibanum and amber.

    Notice the difference in base notes. That alone makes it two significantly different colognes.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Vetiver Geranium, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...Ess-de-Cerruti

    Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Vetiver Geranium, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

  10. #190

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    LOL

    My problem is this statement by David:

    "Many people thought it a very "dated" fragrance when it was released in 1980."

    So I logically expected something old-school and dated.

    The thing is: the "new" PPH smells extremely modern to my nose.
    Certainly when I compare it to other old-school fragrances like Rive Gauche PH and Kouros.
    This is because I refer to the original 1980 release. The new supposedly "re-issue" smells much more modern to my nose it's much brighter and much fruitier. I would not regard the 1980 version as fruity. There's a lot more wood and leather going on in the original. It's altogether more complex than the new stuff. The newer release is much lighter. To my nose it is going in a completely different direction. I have dabbed both on tester strips and am smelling them now in front of me as I type.
    I really feel all the leather and woods are missing in the recent re-release and it's much sweeter, (probably due to the fruit accord).
    Last edited by david; 20th August 2014 at 09:22 PM.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

  11. #191

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Despite so many pages, I still cannot get a feel for how this would smell...

  12. #192

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Once again to reiterate, the main problem to me is that the whole leather aspect is missing in the recent release...which makes it to my nose quite a different fragrance. I dabbed them on the strips at the same time. I am now approx 30 mins into the fragrances. The newer release is still very sweet and fruity. The 1980 release is much drier, with pronounced leather and woods.
    I hope this is of some help.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

  13. #193

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    What I was getting at with that statement was to show just how UNLIKE the reissued PPH is to the original. Two completely different colognes, to my nose. The original PPH is an oriental fougere. I'm not sure how to classify the new PPH, but it certainly wouldn't be an "oriental fougere".

    And it looks like most of the folks on Fragrantica agree with me. http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/J...mme-21457.html

    I'll put it this way.....I don't see how it would be possible for the new to smell like the old when notes are comprised of the following....

    Original PPH: Top notes are lavender, clary sage and basil; middle notes are patchouli, geranium, vetiver and fir; base notes are leather, civet, vanilla and tonka bean.

    New PPH: Top notes are a blend of bergamot, lemon, galbanum and pepper, which give way to lavender, jasmine, rose, tarragon and violet in the heart. Base notes are patchouli, olibanum and amber.

    Notice the difference in base notes. That alone makes it two significantly different colognes.
    I agree entirely with this. Spot on.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

  14. #194

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    Despite so many pages, I still cannot get a feel for how this would smell...
    Well, this is a major complaint of mine, but it also extends as far "up' as the "Perfumes: The Guide" book. That is, I wish people were more willing (or able) to compare the scent in question to others that are at least somewhat similar, or to disclose that they have little experience with such scents. For example, I think original Davidoff would be much more similar to vintage PPH than the new one, at least for the drydown. Another idea is Versailles Pour Homme. Then there is Missoni Uomo and Cellini by Faberge (others have said vintage Tuscany Uomo). None are very close but all share some major characteristics, enough so that I don't see the need to pay the current prices for PPH (new or old). If I can get vintage PPH at a reasonable price, i will do it, but otherwise some of these others suffice (and I have a PPH decant right now anyway). Too bad this 1980 scent never seems to "spoil," the way Aventus, MI, and other recent ones are claimed to - my guess is that there would be a proverbial line around the block to buy it (let's say at 50% off), assuming the seller is not trying to scam people, of course.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 20th August 2014 at 09:53 PM.

  15. #195

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Well, this is a major complaint of mine, but it also extends as far "up' as the "Perfumes: The Guide" book. That is, I wish people were more willing (or able) to compare the scent in question to others that are at least somewhat similar, or to disclose that they have little experience with such scents. For example, I think original Davidoff would be much more similar to vintage PPH than the new one, at least for the drydown. Another idea is Versailles Pour Homme. Then there is Missoni Uomo and Cellini by Faberge (others have said vintage Tuscany Uomo). None are very close but all share some major characteristics, enough so that I don't see the need to pay the current prices for PPH (new or old). If I can get vintage PPH at a reasonable price, i will do it, but otherwise some of these others suffice (and I have a PPH decant right now anyway).
    You've said it way better than I ever could. Comparing the new release to the old does me absolutely nothing. The scant few notes listed here or there do not build any anticipation nor expectation from me and I'm wholly unwilling to blind buy, travel 1100 miles to NYC or pay exorbitant prices for the vintage only to be hit with a scent that I'd rather have just stayed curious about instead of investing into...

    But that's me. I do however maintain hope that this is a lovely scent and some avenue will magically open whereas I can test this one day. It happened for me Vintage Tabarome, Windsor, Helmut Lang EDC, Helmut Lang Cuiron and a few others. But the descriptions given in each aforesaid instance was way more descriptive than this entire thread combined.

    Enough of me whining. Thank you Bigsly for stating it so much better than I ever could.

  16. #196

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Well, this is a major complaint of mine, but it also extends as far "up' as the "Perfumes: The Guide" book. That is, I wish people were more willing (or able) to compare the scent in question to others that are at least somewhat similar, or to disclose that they have little experience with such scents. For example, I think original Davidoff would be much more similar to vintage PPH than the new one, at least for the drydown. Another idea is Versailles Pour Homme. Then there is Missoni Uomo and Cellini by Faberge (others have said vintage Tuscany Uomo). None are very close but all share some major characteristics, enough so that I don't see the need to pay the current prices for PPH (new or old). If I can get vintage PPH at a reasonable price, i will do it, but otherwise some of these others suffice (and I have a PPH decant right now anyway). Too bad this 1980 scent never seems to "spoil," the way Aventus, MI, and other recent ones are claimed to - my guess is that there would be a proverbial line around the block to buy it (let's say at 50% off), assuming the seller is not trying to scam people, of course.
    Bigsly, both myself and Dry Martini find the closest thing to the 1980 PPH is Blend 30 from Dunhill. Dry Martini aptly referred the Blend 30 as a "green" Patou Pour Homme. His description in my view is very accurate.
    ...alas, the problem we have is that Blend 30 is every bit as rare as PPH. I would suggest trying to get hold of a mini of Blend 30 if you can't get hold of PPH in any form.
    PPH is a very unique fragrance and in my view Blend 30 is the closest thing to it.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

  17. #197

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Bigsly, both myself and Dry Martini find the closest thing to the 1980 PPH is Blend 30 from Dunhill. Dry Martini aptly referred the Blend 30 as a "green" Patou Pour Homme. His description in my view is very accurate.
    ...alas, the problem we have is that Blend 30 is every bit as rare as PPH. I would suggest trying to get hold of a mini of Blend 30 if you can't get hold of PPH in any form.
    PPH is a very unique fragrance and in my view Blend 30 is the closest thing to it.
    Yes, Blend 30 isn't likely to be helpful in this context, though it is good to know, because one might get really lucky and come across it at a yard sale.

  18. #198

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    You've said it way better than I ever could. Comparing the new release to the old does me absolutely nothing. The scant few notes listed here or there do not build any anticipation nor expectation from me and I'm wholly unwilling to blind buy, travel 1100 miles to NYC or pay exorbitant prices for the vintage only to be hit with a scent that I'd rather have just stayed curious about instead of investing into...

    But that's me. I do however maintain hope that this is a lovely scent and some avenue will magically open whereas I can test this one day. It happened for me Vintage Tabarome, Windsor, Helmut Lang EDC, Helmut Lang Cuiron and a few others. But the descriptions given in each aforesaid instance was way more descriptive than this entire thread combined.

    Enough of me whining. Thank you Bigsly for stating it so much better than I ever could.
    Maybe you should study the notes which other basenotes members have been gracious enough to provide.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

  19. #199

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Yes, Blend 30 isn't likely to be helpful in this context, though it is good to know, because one might get really lucky and come across it at a yard sale.
    It is available on ebay and other websites for collectors of minis. I do apologise. I was trying to be helpful.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

  20. #200

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Maybe you should study the notes which other basenotes members have been gracious enough to provide.
    I have. Notes alone aren't ever enough. Impressions, quantity, et al add up to a much richer description.

  21. #201

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    It is available on ebay and other websites for collectors of minis. I do apologise. I was trying to be helpful.
    No need to apologize! Anyway, the thing is that this is probably the kind of scent that people enjoy for different reasons. The opening is moderately unique, Versailles Pour Homme possibly being the closest I've encountered. To me, it is the drydown of PPH that is the most interesting, but it lacks a "wow factor," because it is the balance that I find most enjoyable. This doesn't seem easy to achieve in a scent that has such aromatic qualities, again, in my experience, but I don't think it is worth hundreds of dollars for 90 ml. It is more like an "embarassment of riches" situation, so that I can just reach for one of the others instead and not feel "deprived." LOL.

  22. #202

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    In my opinion vintage (*sigh*) "Bijan for Men" is the closest to vintage PPH - and it's way easier to source and goes for way less too. However, Bijan is overall quite a bit heavier, sopier and less leathery then the Patou. The bitterness of Blend 30 made it hard for me to perceive it as anywhere near PPH.

    Newer formulations of Bijan for Men are of no interest, unfortunately.

  23. #203

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    In my opinion vintage (*sigh*) "Bijan for Men" is the closest to vintage PPH - and it's way easier to source and goes for way less too. However, Bijan is overall quite a bit heavier, sopier and less leathery then the Patou. The bitterness of Blend 30 made it hard for me to perceive it as anywhere near PPH.

    Newer formulations of Bijan for Men are of no interest, unfortunately.
    Right, there's that one too, but with the issues you mentioned. I'm thinking that diluting the vintage Bijan might be a great super-cheap alternative for those on a budget (just use perfumer's alcohol or even vodka).

  24. #204

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    I have. Notes alone aren't ever enough. Impressions, quantity, et al add up to a much richer description.
    Respectfully disagree. Fragrances are too subjective. Stella example is Turin and how many people disagree with his desciptions. If you went by the guide you wouldn't touch Tabac Blond with a barge pole...
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

  25. #205

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    No need to apologize! Anyway, the thing is that this is probably the kind of scent that people enjoy for different reasons. The opening is moderately unique, Versailles Pour Homme possibly being the closest I've encountered. To me, it is the drydown of PPH that is the most interesting, but it lacks a "wow factor," because it is the balance that I find most enjoyable. This doesn't seem easy to achieve in a scent that has such aromatic qualities, again, in my experience, but I don't think it is worth hundreds of dollars for 90 ml. It is more like an "embarassment of riches" situation, so that I can just reach for one of the others instead and not feel "deprived." LOL.
    PPH is totally overhyped, as are so many others on basenotes - so as you say, just reach for something else and you'll be spared that "embarassment of riches".
    ...anyway, I thought there were many websites selling 1ml samples of PPH ???....surely can't be "that" expensive, so why not cure the curiosity by buying a 1ml sample. Perfumed Court etc.?
    Last edited by david; 21st August 2014 at 12:13 AM.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

  26. #206

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    In my opinion vintage (*sigh*) "Bijan for Men" is the closest to vintage PPH - and it's way easier to source and goes for way less too. However, Bijan is overall quite a bit heavier, sopier and less leathery then the Patou. The bitterness of Blend 30 made it hard for me to perceive it as anywhere near PPH.

    Newer formulations of Bijan for Men are of no interest, unfortunately.
    Vintage Bijan (*sigh*) is poles apart from PPH.
    Last edited by david; 21st August 2014 at 12:10 AM.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

  27. #207

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Respectfully disagree. Fragrances are too subjective. Stella example is Turin and how many people disagree with his desciptions. If you went by the guide you wouldn't touch Tabac Blond with a barge pole...
    lol. Thanks for the laugh - and you're right. Not a fan of Tabac Blond actually.

    But what I mean though is that each description for the most part reference a vintage or slightly esoteric cologne that's been out of circulation before my father stopped his collection in the mid-80's or so. However, I guess I'd love just a few more descriptions, break downs and whatnot.

    And if you hit up Fragrantica, seeing this compared to Adidas Dare; that's downright scary. Only Tabac Blond scares me more.

  28. #208

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    lol. Thanks for the laugh - and you're right. Not a fan of Tabac Blond actually.

    But what I mean though is that each description for the most part reference a vintage or slightly esoteric cologne that's been out of circulation before my father stopped his collection in the mid-80's or so. However, I guess I'd love just a few more descriptions, break downs and whatnot.

    And if you hit up Fragrantica, seeing this compared to Adidas Dare; that's downright scary. Only Tabac Blond scares me more.
    But surely that's nothing but good news for you....Adidas Dare is far, far cheaper. lol
    Last edited by david; 21st August 2014 at 12:35 AM.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

  29. #209

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    PPH is totally overhyped, as are so many others on basenotes - so as you say, just reach for something else and you'll be spared that "embarassment of riches".
    ...anyway, I thought there were many websites selling 1ml samples of PPH ???....surely can't be "that" expensive, so why not cure the curiosity by buying a 1ml sample. Perfumed Court etc.?
    Well the BN community is diverse. For example, there are people like hednic who seem to have a million dollars worth of bottles, but one thing that may be a good indicator is the post I started perhaps a year and a half ago, saying that someone was selling new 90 ml bottles (EdT), I think for around $300 or $350, and after that post the remaining stock sold out quickly. So, there seem to be quite a few people who want a bottle, though we don't know if they sampled it before. I can't think of any scent I would pay $300 or more for 90 ml, the reason being I don't feel that any are so unique that there isn't something that is at least somewhat similar, and I'm willing to live with that "deprivation" while others are clearly not. Having a very large rotation may also be a part of my attitude, but it would be interesting to see how many PPH fans would be satisfied by something like vintage Bijan Men diluted perhaps 20%.

  30. #210
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    6,859

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    There are plenty of great fragrances, but regarding something similar in smell, nothing approximates the quality of Patou pour Homme is its original formulation.

    Also, Luca Turin loves Tabac Blond. He's talked about it many times long before The Guide was published. It was Tania Sanchez who did the actual review. She'd been wearing vintage Carons for a long time. Luca and Tania didn't like the reformulation of Tabac Blond which, among other things, removed 90% of the deep phenolic aspects that gave it so much of its original grandeur.
    Last edited by pluran; 21st August 2014 at 12:45 AM.

  31. #211

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    There are plenty of great fragrances, but regarding something similar in smell, nothing approximates the quality...
    I'm not sure what you mean here. Versailles Pour Homme is at least as good, quality-wise, IMO. it's just a different composition, more of an oriental, but with many of the same notes and a somewhat similar opening. There are no ground unicorn horns in PPH. LOL. In fact, the drydown is rather restrained, and certainly does not have some monstrous Mysore sandalwood note, for example. If there was a scale of 1 to 10 in terms of quality, and PPH is a 10, it sounds like you are suggesting everything else is 5 or below, and I have to respectfully disagree with that kind of assessment.

  32. #212

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Vintage Bijan (*sigh*) is poles apart from PPH.
    Maybe you should do a side by side-test sometime, you might be surprised.

  33. #213
    Dimitrios's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Beyond the Blue Mountains
    Posts
    3,234

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    Maybe you should do a side by side-test sometime, you might be surprised.
    agreed & it would be interesting if between 10 to 20% leather oil was added !

  34. #214

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    PPH is totally overhyped
    Agree - when a fragrance that was selling for 50-100 is now selling @ 500, it's pure over-reaction to get our hands on the few remaining bottles (& lot of hype - hello to C"g"reed also). As well, someone who isn't a good nose & who has not smelt the original can easily be sold something else altogether in an old PPH bottle - how many newb's can find the difference (I'll include myself as a newb, as there's no disrespect meant to anyone here)?

    That said, I'd be very happy to buy a vtg PPH if the cost is halved (maybe).

  35. #215

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Agree - when a fragrance that was selling for 50-100 is now selling @ 500, it's pure over-reaction to get our hands on the few remaining bottles (& lot of hype - hello to C"g"reed also). As well, someone who isn't a good nose & who has not smelt the original can easily be sold something else altogether in an old PPH bottle - how many newb's can find the difference (I'll include myself as a newb, as there's no disrespect meant to anyone here)?

    That said, I'd be very happy to buy a vtg PPH if the cost is halved (maybe).
    I agree. The psychology factor weighs in rather high here. Knowing it is scarce inflates the perception of value... and where the "real" value is in how a fragrance stacks up against others of similar accords/notes. PPH may be considered one of the greats, but at those market prices? I wouldn't buy it. I've had a similar experience with Basala. When I first got this I loved it... but now? Well, I'm not going to pay $250 for a 100ml bottle, and that's on the LOW end of pricing lately. It's a great fragrance, but simply not worth it at those prices.

  36. #216

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    I agree. The psychology factor weighs in rather high here. Knowing it is scarce inflates the perception of value... and where the "real" value is in how a fragrance stacks up against others of similar accords/notes. PPH may be considered one of the greats, but at those market prices? I wouldn't buy it. I've had a similar experience with Basala. When I first got this I loved it... but now? Well, I'm not going to pay $250 for a 100ml bottle, and that's on the LOW end of pricing lately. It's a great fragrance, but simply not worth it at those prices.
    To me, no 2 fragrances can be the same - so while more experienced BN talk about the depth / complexity they get from PPH, there are many "other" fragrances offering the similar depth / complexity, but with a different set of notes. I used to spend a lot on vintages, but after reading a review of a fragrance from our excellent Andre Moreau & on further acquiring the same for around $40, my perception on the cost for vintages have changed - my limit max 250 (depending on the rarity). The one sentence from Andre's review was something like this - "If PPH is rated 10, fragrance X is easily 9.5"...Since then, for vintages I search for "other" options than to shell 300 or more.
    Last edited by badarun; 21st August 2014 at 02:50 PM.

  37. #217

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    Maybe you should do a side by side-test sometime, you might be surprised.
    I will do it, but at the time of Bijan's release, a year after PPH I didn't make a connection between the two. I will give it another try.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

  38. #218

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Agree - when a fragrance that was selling for 50-100 is now selling @ 500, it's pure over-reaction to get our hands on the few remaining bottles (& lot of hype - hello to C"g"reed also). As well, someone who isn't a good nose & who has not smelt the original can easily be sold something else altogether in an old PPH bottle - how many newb's can find the difference (I'll include myself as a newb, as there's no disrespect meant to anyone here)?

    That said, I'd be very happy to buy a vtg PPH if the cost is halved (maybe).
    badarun, I'll be happy to send you a sample of the 1980 PPH.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

  39. #219

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Just tried the re-release on a card.

    Never tried the original, so I'm not able to make any comparisons.

    It smells dated to me, just like the recently reissued JHL does. Lots of dusty leather with a bit of vetiver & patchouli, and few obscure and faint spicy notes.

    Reminds me a bit of Anteus' leathery notes, but this is more dominant and pronounced in Patou pour homme.

    It's very 80s. Can't see myself wearing it, let alone buying it.
    Last edited by Aromaphile; 14th September 2014 at 06:42 AM.

  40. #220

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    As a big fan of the original PPH and having bottles of the EDT and AS in my collection, I finally got to try the reformulated PPH yesterday.

    Revisiting what others have said they indeed smell nothing alike, I accept the ingredients used in 1980 may not be available today, but I am disappointed it is simply not a better fragrance than what it is, or at least one that offers a more oriental fougere approach like the original. I get more of a straight leather scent with a citrus twist in the revised formula.

    It is a shame as I had hoped to add the new PPH to my collection, however at the price point offered it will not be acquired, I will happily stick with the original and the best.

  41. #221

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    I think the answer is that the new PPH is nothing like the classic masterpiece, and not something worth seeking out.

  42. #222

    Default Re: Patou pour homme reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    I think the answer is that the new PPH is nothing like the classic masterpiece, and not something worth seeking out.
    You put it succinctly and I agree with you. I thought it was absolutely horrible and I would not wear it if a bottle was given to me.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Vetiver Geranium, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...Ess-de-Cerruti

    Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Vetiver Geranium, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Similar Threads

  1. Review: Patou Pour Homme, Jean Patou
    By yonggoh in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 21st March 2007, 03:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •