Code of Conduct

Default Oud Fleur by Tom Ford

I think it's pretty good. Tested it out on the weekend and had to buy a full bottle. It's very Tom Ford esque. I pick up oud wood, Tuscan leather, cafe rose, etc in this. And I've received several compliments on this already, after only 2 days of owning. What do you think about it?

Default Re: Oud Fleur by Tom Ford

Not surprised if it's a really solid perfume since Yann Vasnier is the perfumer. I like almost everything he does in fragrance. My sample is on its way. I have heard others say it is good too, but not all that different from other oud and rose fragrances. Look forward to trying it out. Did you try Tobacco Oud that came out with it? I've heard it is an "ouded up" Tobacco Vanille. I imagine that they've have time to contemplate the error of their ways and improve on TV by now - I look forward to that one too.

I'm curious to hear about Oud Fleur as well. So far, most of the comments I've heard about it were somewhat negative - that it is just another rose oud fragrance and it's feminine. From the sound of it, may not be for me.

Regarding Tobacco Oud, reviews of this has been mixed. Some say it's a nice blend of oud and hints of tobacco, others say there's barely any tobacco & oud and it's very similar to Amber Absolute.

Either way, can't wait to sample both. Would like to sample London as well.

I tried tobacco oud. It struck me as primarily being a mix of oud wood and tobacco vanilla. The oud fleur is definitely a shape shifter. At times it does seem more feminine than masculine, but never too feminine for a man to wear if that makes sense. Its unisex and it smells really good to me. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. I've had a different perception of it each of the 4 or 5 times I've worn it.

It's a nice release by Tom Ford, but not something I would wear.
    Light oud and floral. Too feminine, but might work for others.
    Tobacco Oud just wasn't enough to make me buy it. Very close to Tom Ford Sahara Noir.

I really like Oud Fleur and don't find it too feminine. Tobacoo Oud I find very unpleasant.

Oud Fleur is a little more complex than it seems -- I'm still compiling notes on it, but I'll post something once I feel like I've got it pegged down a little more. An initial impression is that it's a more thoughtful, subdued version of the kind of screechy rose-oud chemical stuff Bond tend to throw in many of their scents. It's tasteful, and a little bland perhaps, but the rose note is very good although somewhat buried (I think it's an otto, but if it's not, it's a fractionated rose -- hyperrealistic).

I was surprised by Tobacco Oud's dirtiness. I wear pretty challenging stuff, so I find it tame -- but it is a dirty, characterful scent. I should also add that I'm a huge Amber Absolute fan, and there's no similarities here at all. The same with Tobacco Vanille, which is one of a handful of scents that makes me feel sick, so I'd spot it a mile away if it was in this. Anyhow, here's a review I wrote on it for those interested:

My expectations were quite low for this one given the number of mediocre scents that Tom Ford has been releasing lately (the excellent Sahara Noir aside). Thankfully, this one was better than I expected it to be.

The tobacco is the most prominent aspect of it (considerably more so than the oud), and the note is split between the herbal facets of tobacco leaves and a genuinely dirty smoke effect. The spices are surprisingly grungy for a Tom Ford, and I’m assuming that there’s some civet or some choyas playing up against the patchouli to get this effect. The oud is minimal, but comes across more as an infusion of a ruh kuhs extract in that it’s a little on the grassy / hay side. This is all placed over a fairly stock amber base that’s got a vanillic edge, but is largely characterless. It’s the same thing you find at the base of the lifeless Rive d’Ambre.

There’s no connection to Amber Absolute here whatsoever. None.

There is, however, what appears to be a hint of benzoin that draws some parallels to Sahara Noir, but the similarity is minimal. It’s still not as good as the latter, and it’s certainly nowhere near the level of work the brand was producing a few years ago, but it’s solid stab at a trite, exhausted genre and it manages to stand out. As an oud fragrance, it’s lackluster, but it’s on par with the other non-oud ouds from similar brands (Kilian, MFK, Bond etc.) As a composition, it’s very nicely done. It’s not for me, and I think mainstream audiences will find it too dirty (it’s not dirty enough for my tastes), but I can appreciate it for what it is.

If you want an actual oud fragrance, look elsewhere (and I’d even suggest that the original Oud Wood scent is a better contender); but as far tobacco scents go, there's better to be had, but this is still a solid offering.
    Last edited by deadidol; 5th November 2013 at 07:35 AM.

The more I wear it the more I like it!

Probably the least I liked from the three. The rose is just a bit too feminine for my tastes, and it was just a bit too bland. Just flower and oud, literally. I took my friend with me and she didn't like it either. Tobacco oud was delightful, the tobacco, oud and sandalwood made me want to go full bottle.

Basenotes Plus

I just received a 50ml decant of this from a split I participated in. I bought it for my wife and she liked it at first but then decided it smelled like "dark wood" and was too manly for her. I actually really like it and she decided she would rather smell it on me so it has become mine lol.

Smelled it at Niemans over Thanksgiving week. They were hyping it up pretty good. I actually like what i smelled. Id like to obtain an actual sample for a few good wearings before i can really say if its worth a FB buy. But im impressed so far. Another I liked and thought it was pretty good is TF Black Orchid.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I have a decant and feel it's ok..
    Not my style as I feel it's too much Fleur and not enough oud.
    The oud is very subtle in this one..
    Not FB worthy

Currently I have a couple of the Private Blend Collection offerings by Tom Ford which are Arabian Wood and Oud Wood. I did sniff out the Fleur Oud at Saks 5th Ave. Its alright. For me it did not have that "buy me now" appeal.

To be honest, from the private blend collection Oud Wood, Arabian Wood, Tuscan Leather, Ombre de Hyacinth, Café Rose, White Suede, and Italian Cypress have virtually raised the bar so high to where anything this fragrance house makes today appears to be a let down for me. Those scents I mentioned are heavily potent to where I smell it 12-14hours plus with using 4-5sprays.

Most people have a hard time understanding the fragrances from Tom Ford entirely; I get that part. Although with some things in life its all about timing. Being in the right place at the right time when seeking out Tom Ford requires a lot. If someone plans on using a scented soap while bathing along with clothes being washed in scented fabric softener and scented detergent this will have an effect on the cologne.

I use unscented soaps solely because I want the most from my cologne when I wear them.
    Last edited by FreshSmell; 22nd December 2013 at 04:19 AM.

Oud Fleur is a nice scent, I liked it better than Tobacco Oud but its quite light and as others have said not bottle worthy.
    Tobacco Oud is the love child of Sahara Noir and Amber Absolute. I was neither a fan of those two but if you are, you will like Tobacco Oud, which is just Tobacco and Frankincense, no oud.

Having tried both Oud Fleur and Tobacco Oud , I personally found Tobacco Oud more pleasant. Wasn't that keen on Oud Fleur.

(1954)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by KBF1972 View Post
    I just received a 50ml decant of this from a split I participated in. I bought it for my wife and she liked it at first but then decided it smelled like "dark wood" and was too manly for her. I actually really like it and she decided she would rather smell it on me so it has become mine lol.

Buy her a bottle of Jasmin Rouge immediately!

Basenotes Institution

I also want to smell this one too. As Buzzlepuff mentioned above, I love the perfumer (Vasnier) and his work that he's done for TF: Santal Blush is one of my favorite coconut/sandalwood scents.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

This was my favorite from the new Ouds. It's funny that everyone says they can smell some cinnamon in Tobacco Oud, which I don't. But I swear I can get some cinnamon in this! Maybe not cinnamon, but something that's got a very dry, slightly sweet but also spicy in the background.

I absolutely love how this wears. It's not loud at all. Gives you a nice bubble, and is very long lasting.

Depending on how you view perfume in general, you may think this is too feminine.

Its the best of the new TF ouds. Almost too femme at first until the oud comes through after a few minutes.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152