Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mancera disscussion thread.

With the advent in 2013 of three new offerings Black Line, Kumkat Wood & Roses & Chocolate I though a new look at this house would be in order. Pierre Mancera is the perfumist and some believe this is a pseudonym for a team of developers working on nineteen or so offerings since 2008. Reviewing some recent threads which haven't arrived back to this original site as of yet a common theme has been these are now the Lexus grade to Montale's Toyota grade. Is this true in your mind? Also, which have been some outstanding finds from this house in your estimation?
    My desire going into the new year is to explore this line and some helpful prodding would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Mancera disscussion thread.

Thanks for firing this up! I don't know much about this line, so I look forward to hearing some thoughts.

Regrettably, I don't know much about the line, but I sprayed one on paper at a store, forgot which one, an oud, and it projected from the paperstrip for a week. Potent stuff.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Regrettably, I don't know much about the line, but I sprayed one on paper at a store, forgot which one, an oud, and it projected from the paperstrip for a week. Potent stuff.

cacio
    This may well be Sand Aoud. Did it smell like a more refined Tauer LDDM in the dry down? This happens to be one of the few I have actually sampled and really got in the mood to try more from this line. Your not kidding about the potentency on this one and if you dig deeper in the Basenote archives or maybe from your personal experience of Montale's early offerings you will find beasts like this one.

Have had a purchase in, paid for, at Min NY for Kumkat Wood by Mancera for about a month now, but have not heard from them. Am I gonna have to pay a visit to these guys? Is this the best place to find Mancera?

Edit: Just discovered my order was shipped out today and am happy. I was too quick to talk poorly of MinNY when there were legitimate reasons for the order delay. Can't wait to receive it.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 5th November 2013 at 03:03 AM.

TN:
    indeed, it may well be Sand Aoud, i remember seeing it in the store, but I forget whether it was that. Can't say about the drydown on paper, but the effect was definitely powerful Montale.

buzzlepuff:
    Min is supposed to be a serious place! I have seen the Manceras at Parfums de France at Tyson's corner DC.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Have had a purchase in, paid for, at Min NY for Kumkat Wood by Mancera for about a month now, but have not heard from them. Am I gonna have to pay a visit to these guys? Is this the best place to find Mancera?

Edit: Just discovered my order was shipped out today and am happy. I was too quick to talk poorly of MinNY when there were legitimate reasons for the order delay. Can't wait to receive it.
    Probably Min NY is the best but perhaps if you have trouble next time. The German site First in Fragrance or Universal Perfumes and Cosmetics are other reputable outlets. Check in with your thoughts about Kumkat Wood when you have time.

I own 16 large bottles in this line, which would be considered masculine or unisex. The remaining four I have chosen to pass on, at least for now. The standouts in my opinion, are Black to Black, Black Line, Aoud Black Candy, Kumkat Wood, Aoud Cafe, Roses Greedy and Wild Fruits.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I bought Sand Aoud on first sniff. To me it`s stunningly good. At the same time I see only a very small resemblance to LADDM, if any. In opposite I think LADDM is more refined. But I like the dark, dusty rose aspect (they say "blackcurrant"), earthy patchouli, synthie-oud and some "chypre"-vibe (can`t explain :-). This makes it slightly similar to other dark rose scents like Czech & Speake`s or even Paestum Rose (in certain ways). As cacio says: This is the longest-lasting scent I`ve ever met. It`s even BY FAR more potent than vintage Mitsouko Parfum de Toilette, Bandit, Opium pour Homme and all my Tauers. I`ve tried many Manceras over the last months, certainly some really good scents, but to me Sand Aoud is outstanding.
    Se son fiori fioriranno ...

[QUOTE=Buzzlepuff;2986463]Have had a purchase in, paid for, at Min NY for Kumkat Wood by Mancera for about a month now, but have not heard from them.

Have you had similar experience with MIN NY slowly delivering products?

The Mancera line is very potent. Don't overspray!

I still haven't tried ALL of them, but these really stand out IMO:

Black Line - gives a sort of "Voleur de Roses" (L'Artisan) vibe, but better. My wife really likes it, and made several unsolicited compliments the one time I have worn it so far.

Cedrat Boise - A projection beast. A little sharp for the 1st hour, but settles in beautifully.

Kumkat Wood - Love this one, maybe my favorite from the line. If you are exploring Mancera, this is a must-try.

Roses Greedy - Amazing scent, but I find it a little too feminine for myself. Certainly worth a sniff.

Sand Aoud - I can see why it gets a lot of love. If you like Oud Shamash, you will like this one.

Gold Intensive Aoud - Very nice. But not what I would call "safe", so be careful when/where you wear this one!

in fact, the only Mancera that I just didn't care for was Wild Fruits. If you like Creed Silver Mountain Water, you may like this one also, as they seem to have some similarities. I wasn't a fan of SMW, and this one starts to get a bit cloying to me also.

I still haven't tried The Aoud, Black to Black, Aoud CafÚ and Aoud Black Candy yet, but hopefully I will be able to get my hands on some samples of these sometime soon.

I think you will enjoy looking into this line - some very interesting (and very bold) ones!

[QUOTE=TNBLUEMIKE;2986715]
    Have had a purchase in, paid for, at Min NY for Kumkat Wood by Mancera for about a month now, but have not heard from them.

Have you had similar experience with MIN NY slowly delivering products?
    Have yet to have a slow delivery with MiN NY. I always call ahead of time to verify stock, have them pull it for packing and it's sent the same day.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

+1 for Cedrat Boise -- A real standout

[QUOTE=hednic;2986766]
    Quote Originally Posted by TNBLUEMIKE View Post
    Have yet to have a slow delivery with MiN NY. I always call ahead of time to verify stock, have them pull it for packing and it's sent the same day.
    Good point. I have only used them once when they had the "Harvest" discount and I felt they delivered within a week perhaps ten days. Not out of bounds for me to feel irritated. Calling ahead would be a very good idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    +1 for Cedrat Boise -- A real standout
    That is very good to know. Cedrat Boise is in my top three that I have been researching to get thanks for the tip. I believe it has a Creed Aventus vibe about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    The Mancera line is very potent. Don't overspray!

I still haven't tried ALL of them, but these really stand out IMO:

Black Line - gives a sort of "Voleur de Roses" (L'Artisan) vibe, but better. My wife really likes it, and made several unsolicited compliments the one time I have worn it so far.

Cedrat Boise - A projection beast. A little sharp for the 1st hour, but settles in beautifully.

Kumkat Wood - Love this one, maybe my favorite from the line. If you are exploring Mancera, this is a must-try.

Roses Greedy - Amazing scent, but I find it a little too feminine for myself. Certainly worth a sniff.

Sand Aoud - I can see why it gets a lot of love. If you like Oud Shamash, you will like this one.

Gold Intensive Aoud - Very nice. But not what I would call "safe", so be careful when/where you wear this one!

in fact, the only Mancera that I just didn't care for was Wild Fruits. If you like Creed Silver Mountain Water, you may like this one also, as they seem to have some similarities. I wasn't a fan of SMW, and this one starts to get a bit cloying to me also.

I still haven't tried The Aoud, Black to Black, Aoud CafÚ and Aoud Black Candy yet, but hopefully I will be able to get my hands on some samples of these sometime soon.

I think you will enjoy looking into this line - some very interesting (and very bold) ones!
    You are still on your game. Thanks for the reviews this is very much appreciated. I haven't looked at the Different Company yet but Oud Shamash does get a lot of love on these threads. Perhaps I will look at that House after Mancera because they seem to have at least three very highly rated offerings perhaps even more.

Also, I do love SMW and have for many years with the icy Tea note so Wild Fruits will be a consideration.
    Last edited by TNBLUEMIKE; 5th November 2013 at 01:40 PM.

I recently tried a few of these in Selfridges and ended up buying Aoud Black Candy which starts off with a very realistic blast of licorice and then settles to a more soft medicinal scent with rose and musk. I tried Cedrat Boise and did see some similarity to Aventus in the top notes but after a while that resemblance gets less and I feel this one loses a lot of its charm. Will try it again sometime as I don't tend to base on one test. The SA gave me some free samples with my purchase (Roses and Chocolate, Black Line, and Kumkat Wood) although I am yet to test these as I've got some other samples to test first. I'm not sure I can compare to Montale quality-wise but I think there looks to be a similar theme and scope of fragrances they offer. I'd lost track with Montale because they released so many. The Mancera bottles are better than the Montale ones is about all I can say on that.

Healer did the licorice accord bother you upfront and how did it mix with the rose and musk in the dry down? Also, is it comparable to anything else you have smelt. I remember growing up next door to you on Merseyside I just couldn't stomach even the smell nevertheless the actual residual taste left in my mouth of black licorice. I have to admit to my knowledge I have never purchased that accord in a fragrance before so I would have to sample it to get my bearings.

A little OT but I'm on the Blue(Everton)side of Merseyside are you a United or City fan?

Mike, the licorice accord did not bother me as it was not too strong (which some may expect from this house) and I quite like the smell of licorice anyway. It blends well with the other notes in my opinion and I find the scent quite comforting. I think the rose helps take away some of the bitterness of the licorice. The topnotes will probably bother you if you don't like the smell of licorice though. I can't really think of anything I have tried that it reminds me of. Regarding the OT question, I'm a City fan although most of my family are Utd fans. Be good to see which Mancera's you decide to buy. I will certainly explore some of those I don't have samples of when I make future visits to Selfridges.

I think your original complaint was completely legitimate.

They do this all the time.

I bought samples of Sand Aoud, Kumkat Wood, The Aoud, Black Intensitive Aoud, Gold Intensitive Aoud, and Cedrat Boise from MiN and tried them out last week. Sand Aoud was easily the standout for me. The Aoud wasn't bad but not my cup of tea. Cedrat Boise, Kumkat Wood and Gold Intensitive Aoud all earned a revisit but I wasn't terribly enamored with the first trial run. Black Intensitive Aoud was a complete mess to me. What I got was a fruity sweet powder bomb. I couldn't find oud in there anywhere.

Yes Sand Aoud is a star to me also and that has me on this trek to discover more about Mancera. Let me know how the rest hits you as you have a chance to get a few more wears in coming days. I find some of the best compositions for me take a couple of times to discover the true scent and artistry of the fragrance.

I own Sand Aoud and The Aoud and have sampled 6 of the others. While I do like them, I don't find them to be the beasts that people are making them out to be.

They do have great longevity but after the initial knock you out, first half hour, they both get close to the skin and stay there for me.

I think that these are just alternate Montale's. That's not a bad thing though. Other than the packaging which is terrific, I don't see them as being the Lexus to Montale's Toyota. They are simple compositions like the Montale line for the most part and it is very evident to me that the perfumer or the team that created these also created the Montale line. When I first sampled The Aoud, I had to spray on some Black Aoud to make sure it was something different. The Aoud is another variation on the Montale Aoud theme.

All that said, as mentioned, these are just as worthy as anything by Montale and if you dig either line, you'll probably like the other one. Pierre Montale, Pierre Mancera........whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    While I do like them, I don't find them to be the beasts that people are making them out to be
    I agree. I didn't find the projection to be bombastic, however I did find that the longevity was good.

They are simple compositions like the Montale line for the most part
    And this is where I struggle most of all with the few that I have sampled. I had higher expectations for both line's compositions and have been mostly disappointed. Mancera's Sand Aoud and Montale's Full Incense (and maybe Dark Purple) are, at least at this point, the only ones I would consider for purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by chili_willi View Post
    I agree. I didn't find the projection to be bombastic, however I did find that the longevity was good.

And this is where I struggle most of all with the few that I have sampled. I had higher expectations for both line's compositions and have been mostly disappointed. Mancera's Sand Aoud and Montale's Full Incense (and maybe Dark Purple) are, at least at this point, the only ones I would consider for purchase.
    I like Montale's Full Intense but I have yet to try Dark Purple that is one that intrigues me the most out of this house at the moment. Aoud and Pine is said to be very good but I can't find that anywhere at the moment.
    Last edited by TNBLUEMIKE; 7th November 2013 at 12:20 PM.

I would really like to try the Aoud Black Candy.

Quote Originally Posted by lairdangus View Post
    I would really like to try the Aoud Black Candy.
    If you like licorice, I think you will have a pleasant experience with this when you try it. (311)

I have Sand Aoud and Gold Intensitive Aoud....they're really nice!.

Quote Originally Posted by fragrance123 View Post
    I have Sand Aoud and Gold Intensitive Aoud....they're really nice!.
    Agree they're both wonderful, with the edge to Sand Oud IMO. Two other good ones are the elusive Black to Black and now I believe discontinued Intensitive Aoud Silver.
    Last edited by hednic; 16th November 2013 at 12:13 AM.

I haven't tried Black To Black yet... once I've tried Mancera...Montale smells cheap to me hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Agree they're both wonderful, with the edge to Sand Oud IMO. two other good ones are the elusive Black to Black and now Ibelieve discontinued Intensitive Aoud Silver.
    - - - Updated - - -

That's an 100% accurate description, you can smell it right away the quality of Mancera's ingridients...makes Montale shamefull!!!

Reviewing some recent threads which haven't arrived back to this original site as of yet a common theme has been these are now the Lexus grade to Montale's Toyota grade. Is this true in your mind?

Agree they're both wonderful, with the edge to Sand Oud IMO. Two other good ones are the elusive Black to Black and now I believe discontinued Intensitive Aoud Silver.
    Hednic I have noticed this and Kumkat Wood to be your preference at this moment. What are the key notes in Black to Black I just can't find the breakdown anywhere even on the Mancera website?

Hednic I have noticed this and Kumkat Wood to be your preference at this moment. What are the key notes in Black to Black I just can't find the breakdown anywhere even on the Mancera website?
    Truthfully I don't know what the note breakdown is. I can't even find it on the site where I bought the bottle from. I would describe it as a woody incensy type of scent with a hint of fruit of some sort mixed in.

Truthfully I don't know what the note breakdown is. I can't even find it on the site where I bought the bottle from. I would describe it as a woody incensy type of scent with a hint of fruit of some sort mixed in.
    You have definitely provided me winners before and just recently with Bentley Intense so I'm gung ho on this one.

Basenotes Plus

Does anyone know if they stock these at the high end stores like Neiman Marcus or Saks? I live in the Atlanta area and would like to try them or will I have to order samples?

Quote Originally Posted by KBF1972 View Post
    Does anyone know if they stock these at the high end stores like Neiman Marcus or Saks? I live in the Atlanta area and would like to try them or will I have to order samples?
    Have never seen them there, Not carried in the brick and mortar stores.
    (1158)

Basenotes Plus

Ok thanks Hednic I guess I'll just order some samples from Min

I recently tried Wave Musk and Cedrat Boise.

I found Wave Musk an above average aquatic. Very pleasant with great sillage (which is really important in an aquatic, imo).

Cedrat Boise: After an opening that I really did not like, turned into a very nice fresh, fruity, cedar dominant fragrance. Actually smells similar to Aventus, but less smoky and no pineapple note (it's replaced by black currant). A solid offering--classy, upbeat, easy to wear--a definite winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Cedrat Boise: After an opening that I really did not like, turned into a very nice fresh, fruity, cedar dominant fragrance. Actually smells similar to Aventus, but less smoky and no pineapple note (it's replaced by black currant). A solid offering--classy, upbeat, easy to wear--a definite winner.
    Agree, bears more than a slight resemblance to Aventus but different enough that you can tell them apart. Well crafted IMO.

(1180)

Basenotes Plus

Which Mancera would you guys consider to be in the same category at Montales Black Aoud in terms of that heavy medicinal aoud and rose with similar projection and longevity?

Which Mancera would you guys consider to be in the same category at Montales Black Aoud in terms of that heavy medicinal aoud and rose with similar projection and longevity?
    For me a toss up between Roseaoud & Musk and Black to Black
    (2408)

Basenotes Plus

Ok I will check those out thank you Hednic. How is The Aoud?

Ok I will check those out thank you Hednic. How is The Aoud?
    The Aoud is also very nice. The rose in this one kind of takes a back seat to the saffron, sandalwood and cedar.

(2416)

I have always over looked Mancera under the impression that
    it was merely a Montale copy.

A month back I gave it a try and ended up buying: Aoud Rose & Musk.

I am looking forward to try the rest

Basenotes Plus

Just bought a 4oz bottle of Roseaoud and Musc from Amazon. It was a great deal ($139.99) can't wait for it to arrive!

Just bought a 4oz bottle of Roseaoud and Musc from Amazon. It was a great deal ($139.99) can't wait for it to arrive!
    Congrats on that purchase!
    (2437)

Basenotes Plus

Thanks Hednic and thanks for the suggestion. The notes sound right up my alley!

Basenotes Junkie

I had a chance to smell most of the Mancera line recently, which was a treat, because no place in Houston seems to have this line on-hand. Not to ape Hednic necessarily, but the same ones he's already mentioned were the 2 that really stood out to me and made my "revisit and sample" short list: Sand Aoud and Kumkat Wood.

Black Line was good as well, and I didn't get a chance to try Cedrat Boise, but would like to.

Because there's the inevitable comparison to Montale, I'll just weigh in with my amateur opinion and say I also sniffed several Montales side-by-side, and I find Mancera to be suspiciously similar. I did slightly prefer the Manceras over the Montales. I don't own a single bottle of either house, and I have no particular attachment either, that's just my opinion from an hour or so sniffing them both.

Quote Originally Posted by JourneymanDave View Post
    Because there's the inevitable comparison to Montale, I'll just weigh in with my amateur opinion and say I also sniffed several Montales side-by-side, and I find Mancera to be suspiciously similar. I did slightly prefer the Manceras over the Montales.
    I think you opinion is well founded and I'm sure many people would agree with you.

(2452)

I have a bottle of Kumkat Wood and have tried or owned all of the Montales at one time or another and I can't find a similar one to this at all. I believe that one of the early Aoud's - Royal Aoud? - had kumquat as a primary ingredient but to my memory the scent didn't smell nearly as light, woody, or as well blended as this one. I wouldn't normally connect the two as being the same at all. My guess is that if the Montales were used as inspiration for some of these Mancera fragrances the perfumer used the opportunity to totally rework them and they are probably better for it.

Basenotes Plus

Hey guys I received my Roseaoud and Musc today and just wanted to give an update. This fragrance is AWESOME! The oud is not as abrasive as in the Montales and is blended beautifully. The realistic rose and soft musk in the background are really nice as well. The sillage and longevity seem to be on par with Montale as well. Would definitely recommend this and I will definitely be buying more from this house in the future.

Your reaction doesn't surprise me. It's a wonderfully well blended rose-oud scent with very good longevity. Congrats and enjoy!

(2625)

Basenotes Plus

Thanks again for suggesting it Hednic!

Thanks again for suggesting it Hednic!
    You're quite welcome.

(2632)

Just ordered two samples from MIN
    Wild Fruits
    Rose & Chocolate

Any feedback?

Quote Originally Posted by kngnk View Post
    Wild Fruits
    Rose & Chocolate

Any feedback?
    Congrats on those. I own both and they're both nice. I'm not a big chocolate fan, but the rose-chocolate blend in this one is well done and one I can wear well. It's not a very sweet chocolate. Wild Fruits I like more. Masculine enough and the combination of the many different fruit accords and cedar makes it interesting. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

(2682)

Quote Originally Posted by kngnk View Post
    Wild Fruits
    Rose & Chocolate

Any feedback?
    Personally I get a very similar vive between Wild Fruits and Creed Silver Mountain Water. Not the same scent, but I think if you like one, there is a good chance you would like the other.

I have the sand aoud, and I think it has common streaks with Lddm, too. One of the dryest scents in my collection. Descibed it to a friend as Dune's uncle from the middle east first time I smellt it. Still feel its accurate
    Lasts forever and projects good and makes me curious to try more from the line, even though there isnt really room for more ouds in the cabinet..

Mancera The Aoud and Montale Black Aoud seem very very similar to me.

BTW, I go to MIN all the time - they are very generous with samples..

I forgot how much the discount from Min NY when they had their promotion last time ?

I have no experience with this. Someday I'll have to check them out.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by fragrance123 View Post
    I forgot how much the discount from Min NY when they had their promotion last time ?
    The 20% discount hasn't worked for a while, but I believe the 15% discount still works. At least the last time I tried it, it did. Don't remember the code though. Something like "robes15" It's in one of the past threads.

(3088)

Thanks hednic.

The 20% discount hasn't worked for a while, but I believe the 15% discount still works. At least the last time I tried it, it did. Don't remember the code though. Something like "robes15" It's in one of the past threads.

(3088)