Code of Conduct

Default Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque --- blind buy?

Hello Basenote experts. I need help. I've been trying to find a sample of this, to know avail. Everyone's testers are empty. But I also know that this scent won't be available forever. I'm contemplating a blind buy but would like input from those who own this scent as to it's character and compatibility for me.

I love Cuir Cordoba, and Cuir Fauve by KM as far as specific leathers. I'm also a big fan of Santal Majuscule, Chergui, Amouage Lyric Woman, Fate Woman, Arquiste Anima Dulcis, Frapin Caravelle Epicees (well, the character of most Frapins makes me smile really). I love Habit Rouge, L'heure Blue, KM Ume, Costume National 21, Givenchy Pi, Miss Dior Le Parfum.

I tend to like things sweet, but I'm finding that I also like those that aren't gourmand. So, any thoughts, is this one I'll love? (I know, it's hard to say, but give me your best guess)

Default Re: Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque --- blind buy?

The only frags in your list that I'm familiar with are Chergui and Habit Rouge. Cuir Mauresque shares some attributes (not the same ones) with each of those; it has the trademark SL syrupy (I mean this is in a good way) quality of Chergui, and a kinked citrus opening la Habit Rouge. In its general behavior, though, I'd say it's much closer to Chergui, but replace the tobacco and hay with orange and bring in the clove, cumin and civet.

Personally, I love it and I'm guessing you would too, but if you've read the reviews, you'll know not everyone loves it... blind buys are always a risk.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

In the leather genre, it's quite smooth, slightly sweet, and relatively safe. It is not a butch leather like, say, Knize Ten or the like. But for this reason, I wonder if it's worth to explore the leather genre quite a bit before committing. For instance, even within Lutens, I much prefer the fruity Boxeuses.

As far as I know, the scent is not discontinued, it's still available in the exclusives. which, unfortunately, are quite expensive stateside.

cacio

Cuir Mauresque is a very very strong.

None of the perfumes you've mentioned come even close to how strong CM is.

Its along the lines of Xerjoff Homme, Knize Ten and Cuir de Russe.

I don't find it to have that Lutens "syrupy" effect found in perfumes like Arabie.

Theres a bright orange on top entangled with a sharp leather note & resins.

Later the orange is substituted with cloves and a dark accord.

Very complex.

An excellent Serge Lutens and an excellent leather if you want something thats not typically conventional.

for swap/sale:

I find it to be a pretty strong, brash leather. I agree with Hedonist that it's not so syrupy as a typical Lutens - more dry and sharp.

I have a decant. I'll send you a sample with our swap so you can judge for yourself.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post

An excellent Serge Lutens and an excellent leather if you want something that's not typically conventional.
    Absolutely agree with this statement.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Absolutely agree with this statement.
    Tried to message you to say hello but I could not because we're back on the old forum format.

Hello!

for swap/sale:

Sample first and give it some time. I found Cuir Mauresque very tiring and consequently sold my bell jar. It's the sweetish thick mandarine (citrus) combined with the leather note that makes it tricky IMO.
    Last edited by Larimar; 5th November 2013 at 01:09 PM.

With Rubegons generous offer I will wait and see. Thanks, as always for your valuable input!
    :-)

If you like Knize Ten or Creed's Royal English Leather, then I think you'll like Cuir Mauresque.

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    With Rubegons generous offer I will wait and see. Thanks, as always for your valuable input!
    :-)
    Don't forget to let us know what you think about Cuir Mauresque after you sample it.

Apparently CM is the only fragrance Serge Lutens likes to wear

As a rule, I'm against blind buying but would make an exception with this (noting your others)

He only wears perfume about 3 times a year, and uses an entire bell bottle of CM each time. Not sure he's a good model to follow ...
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

No harm giving it a shot, though?

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Don't forget to let us know what you think about Cuir Mauresque after you sample it.
    I will certainly share my findings. I'm not afraid of SL. I own and wear Miel de Bois, Chergui, Mandarine Mandarin and a few others that are less challenging too. I do like Creeds Royal English Leather so that is helpful to me!

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    He only wears perfume about 3 times a year, and uses an entire bell bottle of CM each time. Not sure he's a good model to follow ...
    LOL

Glad u found a sample ; I'm against blind buyin, part icularly leathers, oud and tobacco prominent fragrances, unless you are a collector...

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Glad u found a sample ; I'm against blind buyin, part icularly leathers, oud and tobacco prominent fragrances, unless you are a collector...
    Thanks for the well wishes! I have had pretty good luck with the BB's so far, but this one made me a little nervous as I'm not super familiar with leather yet.

Cuir Mauresque is not an easy wear for me, but it is rewarding.
    It opens with a familiar Lutens dry spice accord, including cinnamon and cloves, brightened by the mandarin-peel note which Larimar mentioned. A kind of sheen enfolds the composition too, which I suppose here to be Hedione (I think jasmine is listed in the notes). CM has an an odd plasticy note which I guess is what some people describe here as 'gasoline'. If you're familiar with L'air du Temps, you might pick up on the Benzyl Salicylate which has an oily, balsamy, sweetish musky quality. I also smell a good dose of coumarin. Around the 5 hour mark, a fantastically fecal / animalic facet appears which I always say catches me off guard. The fragrance has superlative longevity and its extended, skanky dry-down is my ultimate reason for wearing it.
    Last edited by gandhajala; 6th November 2013 at 02:05 PM. Reason: un-autocorrected

I have a full bottle of Cuir Mauresque that I bought blind and that I have yet to remove the plastic packaging from! So in a sense, this thread is pretty helpful, although I now feel rather guilty for blind-buying. Thanks for the great description, Ghandajala - having had the opportunity to smell certain raw ingredients such as Benzyl Salicylate (it really helps to round off perfumes and provide heft and weight), I can only imagine what it really smells like! A pity, though, that my bottle is back home in Singapore, which is 10,000km away. I'll have to wait till June 2014 to smell it. And I can't wait to experience the skank

I like it, although it borders on being too floral for me. The leather accord is excellent and long lasting and the orange blossom is a beautiful addition. The jasmin note is challenging to me, however. at times the frag smells like jasmine w some leather on the side, instead of vice versa. Definitely try. Too pricey to buy blind imo.

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    I like it, although it borders on being too floral for me. The leather accord is excellent and long lasting and the orange blossom is a beautiful addition. The jasmin note is challenging to me, however. at times the frag smells like jasmine w some leather on the side, instead of vice versa. Definitely try. Too pricey to buy blind imo.
    Your description adds to my intrigue! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Having tested this, I now know that it would have been an excellent blind buy. I'll need to acquire a FB. Did I mention I am finding myself having quite the leather fetish?

Having tested this, I now know that it would have been an excellent blind buy. I'll need to acquire a FB. Did I mention I am finding myself having quite the leather fetish?
    Understandable. Have you tried Cuir Ottoman? Tom of Finland? Knize Ten? 3 winners in leather, right there.

Heeley's Cuir Pleine Fleur is a nice one.

I'm glad you like it - gives me hope for my own blind buy that's waiting for me!
    Check out my perfume blog, The Smelly Vagabond: http://thesmellyvagabond.wordpress.com

Cuir de Russe
    Je Suis un Homme (don't let the homme discourage you)
    Traverse du Bosphore
    Leather Oud

for swap/sale:

Not obvious leathers, but leather in the drydown:
    Putain des Palaces
    Fils de Dieu
    La Fille de Berlin

Also:
    Cuir Ottoman
    Cuir de Lancome
    Cuir Fetiche
    Bandit
    Paco Rabanne La Nuit
    Bal a Versailles

By the time I'd got around to testing CM I'd already bought K10 and Gomma. The perceived similarities were such that CM was not a pursuit.

I'll add Caron - Tabac Blond, Pascal Morabito - Or Black, and Bulgari Black to the list of recommended tries.
    Last edited by DuNezDeBuzier; 22nd November 2013 at 02:29 PM.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Not obvious leathers, but leather in the drydown:
    Putain des Palaces
    Fils de Dieu
    La Fille de Berlin

Also:
    Cuir Ottoman
    Cuir de Lancome
    Cuir Fetiche
    Bandit
    Paco Rabanne La Nuit
    Bal a Versailles
    I just purchase Cuir de Lancome and I am loving it! I do own LFDB but hadn't noticed leather. I'll look for that. Oh, and BaV also, I agree, there is some nice leather in that, though not easy to pick out given all that is going on.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Cuir de Russe
    Je Suis un Homme (don't let the homme discourage you)
    Traverse du Bosphore
    Leather Oud
    Cuir de Russie is coming may way thanks to dear Xscent. Can't wait to sample it! I promise not to be dissuaded by the homme!

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    By the time I'd got around to testing CM I'd already bought K10 and Gomma. The perceived similarities were such that CM was not a pursuit.

I'll add Caron - Tabac Blond, Pascal Morabito - Or Black, and Bulgari Black to the list of recommended tries.
    A huge +1 to Or Black (buy refill bottle directly from pascal morabito's website - regular bottle sells for 500+; refill is 100 odd).

My brief impression of CM: Seville orange peel marinated in the concentrated top note of Knize 10 and smeared on leather that's half way through the tanning process. Uncompromising but fascinating. I love K10 but the floral aspect doesn't work for me all the time. Time to order some CM.