Code of Conduct

Default Using Aftershave as a fragrance .. or edt

I was wondering if anyone else has done this before? Has anyone else used an aftershave splash that you had of any particular fragrance as a cologne instead of an aftershave.. Whether you splashed it on your chest or put it in an atomizer and sprayed it? Someone gave me a aftershave bottle as a gift instead of the edt and I don't use aftershave when I shave so I was wondering If I could put some in an atomizer and use it like a regular fragrance and what I can expect? Anyone have any experience?

Default Re: Using Aftershave as a fragrance .. or edt

I would guess that the longevity would be quite poor and you would literally have to douse yourself with it to have it linger. Personally have never done this.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Sure you can but longevity will be , well cologne-like duration.

I actually did use an aftershave as an perfume once.

I had a craving for a sharp woody/peppery scent and nothing itched that scratch like D.R. Harris Windsdor.

Windsor is a fresh, complex fragrance starting with citrus overtones and maturing into a warm, leathery scent with notes of black pepper and vetyver. The scent is the perfect mix of traditional, understated luxury and fresh, contemporary vibrancy.

for swap/sale:

Depends on the aftershave, Aramis and Pinaud Clubman are two that are stronger than 99% of all EdT's.

Most alcohol-based aftershaves don't last long. The scented balms last a little longer.

If you are going for fragrance, why not just use the scent?
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Well sometimes there are discontinued fragrances that are so outrageously prices while the aftershaves are still available at a reasonable price.. That is another reason why I am wondering.. As far as balms, I find that most balms dont even smell like the fragrance at all and last not very long at all nor do they project, I think the alcohol aftershave works much better..

If the longevity and/or projection are enough, why not? Though, like mentioned before, most aftershaves do tend to at best partially, insufficiently fulfill these criteria. Notable exceptions being possibly barbershop-style classics like Tabac Original, Pitralon, Old Spice etc. - usually, their lasting power and fragrance sillage tend to more or less match an actual fragrance, albeit more as "skin scents".

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post

If you are going for fragrance, why not just use the scent?
    The OP was gifted the aftershave and was wondering about it.

for swap/sale:

Sure. If it works for you, go for it.

I've just bought a bottle of vintage Fahrenheit, only to realize afterwards that it's aftershave in a spray bottle. So I will have to use it like this.

Saying that, the very first bottle of Fahrenheit I could afford when I was still a kid was a small bottle of aftershave. It lasted me literally years as we were quite poor and I saved up for a long time to buy it. From what I can remember, there was no problem with longevity and it lasted well.

Thanks for the info everybody.. Interesting MFM, I bet the Fahrenheit aftershave did pretty good.. I actually just remebered when I was younger i had a bottle of Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme Vintage Aftershave and when my EDT ran out, I believe I use to splash some on my neck and chest.. I know it is not edt but I remember the Dolce doing a pretty good job.. I don't remember the longevity but I am sure it wasn't up to par with the edt but it still was nice..

Does anyone know for sure if aftershave really has that low amount of fragrance oil that I have heard? I just dont see how it could be weaker than an eau de cologne! Most aftershave bottles are sold nearly the same price as edt at retail stores! Any more experiences and info is greatly appreciated..

I have a bottle of Bel Ami Aftershave splash and use it on my shaving days and it lasts for three to four hours. I find some of the aftershaves from the Eighties are quite strong enough to use as a cologne.

The problem with many aftershaves is that the high alcohol content is actually bad for the skin. Would probably be okay as long as you moisturize daily.