Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default S.O.T.D. - Tuesday, 5 November 2013

Hi all, have a lovely day!

Pretty in Pink - Pell Wall Perfumes.

Default Re: S.O.T.D. - Tuesday, 5 November 2013

Good morning

Hugely fun day spent at a Melbourne Cup function. The best excuse to wear a pretty dress, big hat and drink lots of champagne at breakfast.

image.jpg

image.jpg

In Nuda for the day, sliding into a quiet evening in with Bois de Îles again. Such a comforting scent, akin to a soft blanket and warm hug. Planning a marathon session of report reading for work and listening to Wagner's The Ring. Sleep be damned.

image.jpg

Have wonderful day everyone.

The Different Company Oud Shamash.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Basenotes Plus

Hello everyone. Another rummage through The Inexplicably Neglected Pile yielded today's SOTD: Penhaligon's Endymion.

Notes include bergamot, mandarin, lavender, sage geranium, coffee, vetiver, nutmeg, black pepper, cardamom, musk, leather, sandalwood, incense, frankincense, and myrrh

Fans of Rochas Man or Versace The Dreamer would enjoy this too, I think.

Wish all a great day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

Good morning all and welcome back Shades

Terry, your assessment of Endymion is spot on - gourmands are generally not my thing but Endymion and Rochas Man are two that I really enjoy. Endymion is also relatively understated, giving it the versatility that many others within the genre don't possess. Perfectly unisex too, despite the male marketing. Enjoy !.

SotD is L'Artisan Parfumeur Tea For Two.

Mims check your email !.

Hello all!

Thumbs up Re: S.O.T.D. - Tuesday, 5 November 2013

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Tumulte pour Homme this morning
    Attached Images Attached Images
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Hello, everyone! Terry, Endymion sounds like it needs to be added to my various lists. Jon, I love the photo, *and* the way you smell. Come sit right here next to me... Extra points if you bring that cake and a couple of forks.

Today I'm decorating the brisk weather in In Fiore Parfum Solide Fumee D'Ambre. Lovely unisex amber. Wishing everyone a terrific Tuesday!

Fumee D'Ambre notes: Incense, vetiver and patchouli leaves, sweet amber.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Hello everyone -

I'm in Priscilla Presley's wonderful but woefully discontinued Roses and More. This is divine. It's tender and dewy, and has a fresh, almost minty start that brings to mind a florist cooler, and I absolutely love that brief sensation. (Bas de Soie also opens with this amazing accord but with hyacinth, which is actually what sold me on it, almost instantly.) And the rose bouquet is just heavenly ...soft and creamy and ultra-feminine. Long-lasting and nice sillage too - it's got the kind of capricious sillage that comes and goes, then provides a delightful surprise after letting you forget about it for a while. This was once a drugstore fragrance, but the gorgeous perfume I'm smelling could easily be mistaken for something much more modern and upmarket. Highly recommended for rose-lovers who don't mind a bit of a hunt.

Y'all have a great day!

Editing to add a big welcome home to shades!! I've been thinking about you, but didn't see you when I way too quickly glanced over the end of yesterday's thread, but there you are! Did you have a totally fantastic time? Did you find that perfume store you were looking for, and a beautiful new perfume or two? And do you want to just pack up all your things and move to St. Lucia?
    Last edited by Evangeline; 5th November 2013 at 03:02 PM. Reason: as I said, to welcome shades home. :)
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Hello all!

Hindu Kush, for a change!! Deep, resinous, bitter, smoky...

Have a nice day.
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Good morning!

Big day round these parts: this is the annual luncheon with CEO. The hilarious thing is that it is at the only convention center in town, a local "world famous" eastern North Carolina BBQ joint. (AKA Barf.)Which means I will get to look forward to an iceberg lettuce salad (the only food served there I would touch with a 10 foot pole) and a 2 hour Power Point presentation that will probably put me into a coma after the lack of calories consumed at lunch.

In other words, I would so much rather be joining Xscent at the races! Happily I am heading home to Lexington, KY, which claims itself Horse Capital of the World, this weekend. Looking forward to some drives through horse country, and Jay is coming with me! He's never been to KY before and I cannot wait to show my lovely home state off to him.

In Prada L'Eau Ambrée from a sample. I want to say it's a 2 ml sample, and I dumped at least half of it on myself, and still can baaaaarely smell it.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Good morning, you angels with atomizers, you spritzers of scent, you casters of cologne, you fondlers of factices, you hedonists of headspace, you slovenists of sillage, you actuators of accords, you canvases of castoreum, you champions of champaca, you veterans of vetiver, you devotees of davana, you idols of indoles, you fans of frangipani, you conservators of classics, you nuzzlers of niches, you ladies of l’eaux and you knights of the nose. Good morning.

Hmmm. Now what else can I do to postpone doing anything useful?

That new 100ml decant from ComDiva of Bois des Iles looks too full. I think I better start draining it. Waving at Xscent.

RHM, I bet your sis took such good care of your mom that her recovery will be swifter because it.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Good morning, good smelling people. I join you today in 1000 Flowers Reglisse Noire, definitely one of the seven wonders of my wardrobe. Finally the weather is cool enough for it. Canadian perfumers apparently don't think about hot weather, LOL. Better for my wallet that it only works about 4 months of the year though.

Kuhuyan by Parfum de Marly (166)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quarry you gorgeous smelling thing I have a block of dark chocolate that needs sharing and another 12 CDs of Wagner to get through would that be enough procrastination for you?

ErinK you in a little Chanel inspired outfit would have been right at home with the fashions on the field

Contemplating a bottle of Narciso Rodriguez for Her after ScentFan's write up on chypres. Anyone have tried or have some thoughts on this one?

Jon some cupcakes to go with the tea

image.jpg
    Last edited by Xscent; 5th November 2013 at 02:42 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Busy day - I'll check back in later & chat more.

Woke up craving vetiver, so I reached for this one which I really don't wear that much:

Vetyver by Parfums de Nicolai

"You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

MPG ~ Eau des Iles

Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post
    Contemplating a bottle of Narciso Rodriguez for Her after ScentFan's write up on chypres. Anyone have tried or have some thoughts on this one?

image.jpg
    I have never tried this one, but it gets so much love and is on my to-try list. I am fairly sure it would be a great blind buy, for me, at least...unfortunately it will have to wait: buying $600 worth of new tires today in preparation for my road trip home does not bode well for new perfumes anytime soon. That said, I think you should go for it!!

Also...those are the cutest freakin' cupcakes I have ever seen in my LIFE!!! Way too cute to eat!
    Last edited by ErinK; 5th November 2013 at 02:49 PM. Reason: same as usual...cannot...stop...editing...

Pure Leather

Quote Originally Posted by ErinK View Post
    I have never tried this one, but it gets so much love and is on my to-try list. I am fairly sure it would be a great blind buy, for me, at least...unfortunately it will have to wait: buying $600 worth of new tires today in preparation for my road trip home does not bode well for new perfumes anytime soon. That said, I think you should go for it!!

Also...those are the cutest freakin' cupcakes I have ever seen in my LIFE!!! Way too cute to eat!
    Then its done! Will order a big 'ol bottle tomorrow

Blog Entries

French Cancan extrait.

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Blog Entries

Hi all,

Erin, cute or not, l could definitely eat a few of those cakes right now. Enjoy your trip!

Welcome back, shades!

Wore Encens Flamboyant again for work today. This one seems to have filled the gap in my wardrobe marked "suitable incense fragrance for work"; not too strong, but very calming & grounding on busy days.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

SOTD -
    L'Encens a la Vanille by ALKEMIA PERFUME OILS

Well, they spell "incense" like that ... those oils are not half bad and excellent for layering. I smell a true Vanilla, like the kitchen aroma.

My son (the Marathon runner on Sunday) now has a cold and still has to be a poll worker today, Tuesday, at ELECTION DAY. I don't vote, don't care, but the ones who went seemed to dress for the purpose of just casting the ballot. To them it seemed important. I have lost interest, although I love my adopted country, U.S.A.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Hello all, Chanel Égoïste
    DONNA

Borghese Il Bacio - I bought this for my mom many years ago, it was a signature for her for a long time. The other day she left the remainder of the giant bottle on my vanity for me. Smells perfect in this rainy weather.

Good morning, ladies and guys!

Xscent, not so for me, too much of stinky musk in Narciso Rodrigues on this skin makes it almost untolerable. And I do not have a problem with most chypres done in the classical tradition.

We will be having the second snow of the season tonight, but 30R., we are expecting a severe winter here according to the old folks, worse than in 2009 when we first arrived. Like Terry, I reached for the Unexplicably Neglected Corner of the fragrance drawer and (re-)discovered a bottle of Fiori d'Ambra. It is good.

Versilia Vintage Ambra Mediterranea.

Quarry, that was brilliant.

Today I am wearing PG Felanilla, last night it was Huitieme Art Myrrhiad. Felanilla is coming across more ambery than vanilla-y today, and I love it and am so glad I rediscovered my (fortunately, quite large) decant. I also realized I need another decant of Myrrhiad. These warm scents are really appealing to me as the weather gets cooler.

Blog Entries

Yes, forgot to say, that *was* brilliant, Q!

lmperial Opoponax this evening.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post
    Quarry you gorgeous smelling thing I have a block of dark chocolate that needs sharing and another 12 CDs of Wagner to get through would that be enough procrastination for you?

Throw in a bottle of red and the two of us will be arriving hand in hand.

SotE - Roberto Cavalli Black.

Hello again!

I'm in another rose perfume attached to another celebrity name, this time it's ELdO Rossy de Palma.

Hi Sea Roses - are you out there? I know I owe you a nice, long pm, and that'll come soon! I just wanted to say I'm thinking of you as Roger and Nolé are getting ready to take the court. Of course I'm hoping for a nice, long three-set match ...perhaps even an upset, hehe! xo
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Blog Entries

LOL at Quarry, that was fun!

Twolf, I sincerely hope not! Last winter's historic snowfall half killed us. 36" in our town.

I'm wearing L'Artisan Fleur d'Oranger and eating squash before I go deliver groceries and meds to Mom. I've been out to vote already.

Basenotes Institution

Hello all ! I was going to say Good Morning but obviously I see it is now afternoon here. *LOL*
    (((RHM and 30 Roses))) - I am always thinking of you both and your Moms.

I am so tired today , knackered but pushing along.

Still dousing myself in Violette Fumee . So much like Jicky is some respects -a violet tinged Jicky and modernised with cashmeran .
    DH says it smells dainty and feminine. I think it smells slightly bad ass myself but there you go !

Robin, I've been wanting to try that one for a while. It does sound like the perfect time to whip out the licorice scents.

Most of my perfumes are packed as I am moving soon(same town) but I needed to leave a few out ya know? I need to wear something(s) while I am moving! Plus, I need to keep an extra eye on my Poison splash bottle...make sure that stopper doesn't come out upon the move. I will carry it on me.

Love and Tears by Kilian is sotd, I don't seem to tire of this one even though I am wearing it often!!
    Last edited by kalli; 5th November 2013 at 10:01 PM.

Chanel no 5 Eau Premiere--a discovery from the BN Chicago meet-up when Elizrj, friend Jodi and I descended upon the Chanel boutique...

Basenotes Plus

Hi everyone! It's been a long day, I've been trying to get all the outdoor jobs crossed off my "to do" list. I'm sure we will be getting snow any day now.

RHM, glad to hear your mom came through the surgery well.

Chicagoista, you are smelling marvelous tonight, I love No. 5 Eau Premiere!

Quarry, I loved your post this morning! Nuzzlers of Niches, too funny!

Wearing Tory Burch this evening.

Tory_Burch_perfume.jpg

Basenotes Institution

What a busy day. Stopping in for a second to give a bunch of hugs to those that need them & to say I am ABSOLUTELY IN LOVE with my SOTE which is a new purchase:

Tam Dao (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque

"You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Mike: Hmmmmm, if you like it that much, I know I should try it.

Well, Hello Sweetlings!

MUCH better day today.

Mom is home, foot propped up on pillows, iced (per instructions),
    puppy dog in her lapIMG_0366.jpg
    and a glass of sweet tea close at hand.
    She's a happy Mama.

My sister is exhausted but satisfied with the results of the surgery & the knowledge that our Mom has "exceptionally hard bones".

I wore LUSH Gorrilla Perfume 25:43 but it got awfully sweet as the day progressed. Smells like these little lemon cookies I remember from when I was little. So I washed it off and put on some of Glen's Black Saffron he so generously shared with us in Chicago. {{{{{massive hugs to you big guy!}}}}}}}}}}}
    Last edited by RHM; 6th November 2013 at 04:00 AM.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

[QUOTE=JON RODGERS;2987092]Throw in a bottle of red and the two of us will be arriving hand in hand.

Jon you both are always welcome and I always have a bottle of red open. I'm well stocked with lots of other lovely bottles of Aussie Reds especially from my local Margaret River region.

Twolf thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can track down a spritz today. I'm not to opposed to a bit of skanky musk failing that if it doesn't work on me I'll offer it up on the 'Need a good home' thread. Win/Win in my book.

ErinK I'm not sure I've ever come across a cupcake to too cute to eat, but then I'm particularly greedy when it comes to such things

Mike don't you smell wonderful! Tam Dao parfum is so very nice, managed a spritz and it's going on my list to get too.

RHM puppy dog is so sweet, wishing your mom a swift and smooth recovery.

In vintage Chanel No.19 and an opera length strand of pearls for a busy work day.

((RHM)), glad to hear your mom is doing doing better! And that puppy!!!! Oh, so cute!!!

Belated welcome back to Shades and hugs to Mike and Mims for busy days & exhaustion, to RHM (and her sister *and* mama), to Quarry for her absolutely astounding alliteration, and to everyone else just 'cause. I do believe I'll join Ms. Q. in a bit of that Bois des Iles as my late evening scent.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Basenotes Plus

Sorry this is so late in the day, but, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HEDONIST!!!! I hope you had a very happy and fragrant day!!

Basenotes Plus

HEDONIST! Happy Birthday!

xoxoupclose1.jpg

The "puppy" is Kiwi Blossom, a 5 year old diabetic Schipperke. She's our best fur girl and keeps Granny nice & warm.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Basenotes Institution

Popping in to wish Dearest Hedonist a very happy birthday and a very wonderful year ahead as well.

Also want to wish a very happy birthday to Hedonist!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Institution

Happy Birthday hedonist!

The drydown of the Tam Dao EdP is incredible. Very satisfied with this one.

-- Eckhart Tolle

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Aramis Tuscany tonight
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Thank you for the well wishes every one

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus

Happy Birthday Hedonist !.

I have drenched myself in Ubar since I have a lovely sample but a FB of it is on the way to me thanks to an insane sale at Fragrancenet.

It's Hedonist's birthday! Happy Birthday to you and many many more!

Late to the party, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Saif!

Happy b-day Hedonist! Schipperkes are sooo cute! Danieq, I like Ubar too. Congrats on the fb.

Blog Entries

Happy birthday, hedonist!

Quote Originally Posted by easyfish View Post
    Late to the party, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Saif!
    Even later to the Party. ALL THE VERY VERY BEST, hedonist!
    Se son fiori fioriranno ...