Code of Conduct

Default Shipping Fragrance to Germany from US - What's the best method ?

Hey guys,

I've never shipped overseas before but I had someone who wanted a bottle of fragrance and willing to pay for it...

Whats the best way to mail him a single 1.6oz bottle of fragrance ? What are some of the concerns in doing it? Which carrier is best for sending things overseas ? Will customs open the package ? Risks ?

And I know it would be an estimate but how much do you think it would cost to send something from Florida to Germany? Just a rough estimate ?

Thanks guys for your help !

Default Re: Shipping Fragrance to Germany from US - What's the best method ?

I'd go with DHL Express. Fast & reliable.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I live in Romania (Europe) and I've bought several times from US . The packages were sent with US Postal ,I think, and I never had problems with the customs. I would go with the cheapest method of shipping, since many of US basenoters say the shipping costs overseas are high.

Any idea on price ?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by FSU92grad View Post
    Any idea on price ?
    Weight the package and go to the USPS website. They have a price calculator and will show all the various options and costs.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Weight the package and go to the USPS website. They have a price calculator and will show all the various options and costs.
    Thanks Palm...Just wanted to get an idea....A rough estimate...I'll check it out !

Blog Entries

Know that if you chose USPS, you will be intentionally breaking the law, and can be fined. Will you get caught? Probably not, BUT if you are, HUGE fine. There is NO WAY to legally ship fragrances by USPS overseas.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Blog Entries

You will have to fill out a white "USPS Customs Declarations CN 22 - Sender's declaration" (PS Form 2976) and describe the article. You cannot say "Perfume" because that is DANGEROUS GOODS. Say, Cosmetics - Body Lotion. Declare value: $20. Mark the box with an X that says: Gift
    Sign and date and "pray". It is getting more and more difficult at the U.S. Post Office. The clerk will ask, "Is there anything flammable in there, like perfume?" And you say, "No" and sleep a good night's sleep.

What happens on the German side, I don't know.

Good luck.

I have given up on sending perfumes to my German relatives, too much fuss.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Hopefully, members will comply with whatever laws apply in their countries.

I guess it will get stuck at the customs. But that might depend on the destination in Germany. The fee will be around 20% of the value (including costs for shipping). Declaring it as gift is not useful from my experience. When the stated value from the seller appears too low and the buyer (when getting there picking it up) has no document proving the value (eBay transaction, Paypal), they will do some research. They open the packets.
    The only parcel (out of 5) sent to me that was not hold by customs was actually a medium sized envelope sent with First Class Mail or something like that, declared as „used collectibles” with a reasonable value noted. But that was before the hazardous goods era.

The best way to ship perfume overseas is USPS, it's fast and price is cheap, you will pay near $20 to send a bottle. I recommend do not write that you send perfume, I heard that shipping companies don't like to send perfume by air because it is hazardous.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ViktoriaWild View Post
    The best way to ship perfume overseas is USPS, it's fast and price is cheap, you will pay near $20 to send a bottle. I recommend do not write that you send perfume, I heard that shipping companies don't like to send perfume by air because it is hazardous.
    They don't like. That is putting it mildly. They will refuse to accept your package, when you write on the Customs Form that it is perfume. The clerk is obligated to ask the question, "Is there perfume inside?" That is, why I have put "Cosmetics - Body Lotion" on that Form in previous times. Now I don't send anything anymore.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ViktoriaWild View Post
    So let me get this straight...In case the FBI reads this...You're advocating lying, doing something dangerous, and doing something illegal?
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Overseas shipping regulations are infuriating, but they are the law. It's why I restricted any ebay sales to UK only. Not worth the risk, in my opinion.

Whilst we may not universally agree with various regulations and laws, suggesting that other members break laws is neither wise nor acceptable.

This is the second request in this thread - thanking members in advance for their cooperation.

Blog Entries

No matter how frustrated, the laws must be observed. I am sorry for stupid remarks written in haste.

Thanks, Ursula - the current shipping situation is very restrictive to businesses and individuals alike, in my opinion as a member of the public affected by it.