Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Off-Topic

Default Re: Off-Topic

Yay, NFL group!! I will bring the nachos!

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Well, this little thread hasn't been so popular, but I'll see if I can get it going again, if just for an afternoon.

Alrighty then, I absolutely adore Carl Sagan, and I watch these inspirational videos every now and then when I need a quick CS fix. Some of y'all have seen these, I'm sure, but if not, enjoy ...heck, you'll enjoy them even if you have seen them. I love 'em more and more each time.

Just wonderful E , wonderful.

It reminds me of the time when Ruskie and American astronauts could finally co-operate and the Americas asked about the problems of pens in space and the Ruskies said we used pencils!

My fiancee also adores Carl Sagan but not sure if he has seen this........this was a first for me......and there is something sad about that. How is this not watched as much as it should be?

Oh I forget myself we have TOWIE to watch!
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    I started a NFL group for anyone that wants to chat about football. All are invited, so please go over and check it out in the Groups area.

hednic, I couldn't send you a PM about it so this was the next best way!
    Thank you for the heads up.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Roses View Post
    Just wonderful E , wonderful.

It reminds me of the time when Ruskie and American astronauts could finally co-operate and the Americas asked about the problems of pens in space and the Ruskies said we used pencils!

My fiancee also adores Carl Sagan but not sure if he has seen this........this was a first for me......and there is something sad about that. How is this not watched as much as it should be?

Oh I forget myself we have TOWIE to watch!
    Thank you so much, Sea Roses - you're a darling to not leave me hanging that way. It sometimes feels like speaking to a room full of people to be met with a bunch of blank stares, lol! I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

You should appreciate this little follow-up regarding the "space pen" - http://mentalfloss.com/article/13103...-pencils-space
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Thank you so much, Sea Roses - you're a darling to not leave me hanging that way. It sometimes feels like speaking to a room full of people to be met with a bunch of blank stares, lol! I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

You should appreciate this little follow-up regarding the "space pen" - http://mentalfloss.com/article/13103...-pencils-space
    Actually Mrs E I am stunned that nobody has commented on this incredible link.

My Pasha is a huge Carl Sagan fan as is his grandfather.

Thank you so much for putting this up.

When and how did you come across Carl Sagan? Do you remember how old you were?

There are no blank stares here.........just wide opened amazement and listening to those such questioning but soothing words.

hugs

sea roses
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

When and how did you come across Carl Sagan? Do you remember how old you were?

There are no blank stares here.........just wide opened amazement and listening to those such questioning but soothing words.
    Again, thank you! I don't remember exactly, but I was small enough to think that Carl Sagan and Mr. Rogers were the same person for a while, lol! We own the entire Cosmos series, but I love that you can find so many other of these types of videos on YouTube ...as well as Richard Dawkins, Neil DeGrasse Tyson, and Stephen Hawking, among other extremely brilliant and very well-spoken scientists. Brian Cox, Michio Kaku ....they're all right there at your fingertips!
    Last edited by Evangeline; 16th November 2013 at 01:23 AM.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Actually thank you Mrs (((E ))) for putting this up........that's something that you were that young......did your family educate you in this way?

As for the other scientists YES YES YES!

If ever you can work your way through the tome that is Opppenheimer by Kai Bird and Martin J Sherwin I think you would find his very interesting and troubled life fascinating!

searoses xxx

Well, I watched a lot of PBS as a youngster so I was exposed to Sagan et al. from an early age. My parents aren't exactly "into" science the way I am, but they always did a good job of encouraging my and my brother's interests.

Thanks for the rec - another to add to my list!

WOW.....you constantly surprise (and impress) me......after the ballet and your knowledge of tennis.......I would never have guessed you were so interested in science until I came across your post on Carl Sagan!

Explains your knowledge of perfume now.......before finding this Carl Sagan post and you just telling me about your interest in science it didn't *click* , now it does!

Personally I have such STRONG STRONG views on science (and funding) that I will not comment anymore for fear of breaking the rules.

xxx

Personally I have such STRONG STRONG views on science (and funding) that I will not comment anymore for fear of breaking the rules.
    Hehe, I know what you mean, and I'm sure we're in complete agreement on the subject.

Well, this little thread hasn't been so popular, but I'll see if I can get it going again, if just for an afternoon.

Alrighty then, I absolutely adore Carl Sagan, and I watch these inspirational videos every now and then when I need a quick CS fix. Some of y'all have seen these, I'm sure, but if not, enjoy ...heck, you'll enjoy them even if you have seen them. I love 'em more and more each time.

I didn't comment on this when I saw it in the thread, but I did watch it and loved every minute. Somehow this series escaped me though I know it was produced 15-20 years ago (I think). Thanks for sharing.

^^ Thanks for saying so, Curly! It's very gratifying and fun to know when I've shared something the community here can enjoy. Reid Gower produced The Sagan Series from edited clips from various Sagan shows to promote scientific literacy, specifically through social media - he posted them to YouTube in 2011. I would have given y'all the direct link to his page - http://www.youtube.com/user/damewse?...c4-overview-vl - but I wanted to post the whole series in one video.

You're welcome, though it was my pleasure!

„The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.”

John Cage

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Breathtaking...Beautiful...

Thank you so much Evangeline! I had forgotten just how powerful and uplifting Dr. Sagan's programs were, and are.

A few statistics:

the OFF TOPIC Forum of old, as of September 14 2013, was the:

4th most active Forum on Basenotes behind the MALE FRAGRANCE, FEMALE FRAGRANCE and JUST STARTING OUT Forums.

It had nearly 200,000 posts and over 5200 Threads.

I am happy to see this new version of the OFF TOPIC FORUM but somewhat sad to see it as a Thread, one that can be, is, and will most often be buried out of sight and probably off the radar screen. Will old members, new members and visitors find it? Probably only by an old Thread search 'accident' or if it is bumped by new posts. Out of sight is often out of mind, both by accident and by design.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a link to the oldest archived Basenotes 'snapshot' on www.waybackmachine.org. It is from June 19th, 2003:

(it is possible to navigate around the 'snapshot' to various old Basenotes pages using the mouse pointer and left-click)

http://www.web.archive.org/web/20030...basenotes.net/
    Last edited by kbe; 20th November 2013 at 02:33 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Cool cat. Cool ad.

Last edited by Graphite; 22nd November 2013 at 08:40 PM.

Good points, Kbe

Blog Entries

So...who is going to watch the 50th Anniversary Special of Doctor Who tomorrow?

It's being simulcast around the world; 2:50 pm Eastern time on BBC America.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Who?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kbe; 23rd November 2013 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphite View Post
    Cool cat. Cool ad.

Boy did he get old! Still can do those splits though.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post

We settled down to watch it together, but we both fell asleep about halfway through! We were warm & comfy on the sofa after a hearty dinner & a bottle of wine. Good job we recorded it; we'll attempt another viewing later. What we did see looked about as confusing as Dr Who often is...
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Default Re: Second Helping? Anyone?...Anyone?...Bueller?..

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    I can't help wondering how much actually got eaten and how much went straight into the bin.
    I suppose it was no more cruel than what goes on in any slaughterhouse but I got the impression these animals were killed as a novelty.

Have a look at Dan Marbaix' photos of abandoned buildings.

That function at the Waldorf Astoria by the Explorers Club is very famous. Always find it amazing how they try to outdo the selections from the previous year. Don't think I would ever want to partake though.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Graphite View Post
    Have a look at Dan Marbaix' photos of abandoned buildings.

Thank you - was considering a spot of SoJin.....

I watched this last night on BBC iPlayer. Cannot begin to tell you how bad I thought it was; badly written, bad story, bad acting, bad dialogue (NOT funny, NOT clever, NOT witty) and irritating companion (GOD I had forgotten just how annoying she could be). And it destroyed a basic theme running throughout Dr Who from the very beginning; the Doctor is the last Time Lord and he was responsible for the destruction of his on planet. Turns out, this never happened but he won't remember. Utter, utter tosh. Don't know why I stuck with it; maybe the small hope that it couldn't continue being as lousy as it turned out to be.

Blog Entries

Ewwwww.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread isn't getting much traffic, is it?

I guess cause there is no specific topic, idk.

Sooo, what is your favorite Turkey Day dish or side? What do you like to make? I love cranberry sauce, don't make it..just eat it from the can..though there has to be better ways to eat it/recipes out there! Stuffing, who doesn't like stuffing? I recently met someone from the South and she said, 'I don't get your Stove Top dressing stuff up here. It's just nasty, we make homemade cornbread stuffing.'. Kind of agree on the Stove Top, just kinda bad, imo! Once I had this Italian friend.. who also had some Americans in the family.. it was the best of both worlds..one table was all homemade Italian pasta and other goodies, one table was American, with turkey, mashed potatoes..that was the best T-Day spread ever! Homemade ravioli...sooo good.

Blog Entries

Love stuffing - even Stove-Top! Stove-Top really raised the bar on stuffing, IMO. People who used to make OMG horror-show stuffing that resembled The Blob, now give up, much to my relief!

My favorite for Turkey Day is to go one of the local gourmet buffets and have a delicious little of everything, plus mimosas!

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post

Sooo, what is your favorite Turkey Day dish or side? What do you like to make?
    A pineapple cheddar cheese crunch as a side, made with sugar, flour, crushed pineapple, butter, grated cheddar cheese and Ritz crackers, baked in the oven. Look forward to it every Thanksgiving.
    (805)

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    A pineapple cheddar cheese crunch as a side, made with sugar, flour, crushed pineapple, butter, grated cheddar cheese and Ritz crackers, baked in the oven. Look forward to it every Thanksgiving.
    (805)
    I have never heard of that nor tried it! That sounds interesting and possibly, very yummy!!

I love stuffing!

We aren't doing the traditional turkey dinner this year ... and we're not even getting together with hubby's side of the family. <shaking my head> It is what it is though, and we will probably go all out for Christmas dinner instead.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Oh dear, do I really have to choose? I love sage dressing, not stuffing, baked in its own casserole. I an also a huge fan of cranberry sauce. This year I am making cranberry sauce that includes apples, pears, and pecans. I often make scalloped oysters. Yum!

- - - Updated - - -

(805)
    Never heard of this, but the sweet, sour, rich, and salty combo sounds good.

Blog Entries

Simple Homemade Cranberry Sauce

Anyone can make this. It could not possibly be easier. But don't wait until Thursday-- make it at least one day ahead to give it time to set. (I'm actually making mine now as I post.)

1 cup of water
    1 cup of sugar
    1 bag of cranberries

1. Put the sugar into the water in a largish pot. Bring it to a boil.

2. When boiling, throw in the cranberries all at once and bring it back to the boil.

3. Boil gently for about 10 minutes, uncovered. You can stir once or twice but you don't need to fuss over them.

4. Remove pot from the heat. Pour the cranberry sauce into a bowl (or another pot) to cool. Cover the sauce and cool it at room temperature until it is completely cool. (This takes hours. No problem! Cranberry sauce is high in acid and it's safe.)

5. Finally, refrigerate overnight. It will set as it continues to cool in the fridge.

Helpful Pointers:
    When you buy cranberries, they are fresh-- and perishable. If you are not planning to cook them the same day or the next day, freeze them until you are ready to cook them, to reduce the number you'll have to throw away. You don't have to thaw them before cooking.

When ready to make the sauce, open the bag of cranberries out onto a cookie sheet or pan and look at them! Throw out any obviously overripe/rotten ones. It's pretty common for a bag to contain one or two that you wouldn't want to add to the sauce.

1 bag of cranberries makes a little more than 2 cups of cranberry sauce. I usually double or triple the recipe.

Some people add a bit of grated orange zest to the sauce. I like it plain.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 27th November 2013 at 05:14 AM. Reason: typo, repeated word

Blog Entries

Wow! Did not realize how ready-to-use cranberries actually are! My wife might like to try this.

Made mine today - exactly as 30Roses described!

Thanks 30 Roses! I might actually try that ... I do not like the canned version of cranberry sauce.

I saw this on Pinterest and thought it looked like a good way to use cranberries. Thread them on cocktail stirrers and freeze, put in your champagne to keep it cold.

cranberriesinchampagne.jpg

Blog Entries

Cranberries are not available beyond the Thanksgiving-to-Christmas period, so if you like having cranberry sauce at other times of year, freeze a few extra bags.

Also, high in pectin as they are, they are great at helping low-pectin fruit jams to set. I've added a few cranberries to my raspberries when making jam. (I don't use commercial pectin when making jams-- just fruits and sugar. Makes for a more concentrated flavor.)

Have you ever made cranberry liqueur? I've seen some recipes and was thinking that might be nice for gifts.

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    Have you ever made cranberry liqueur? I've seen some recipes and was thinking that might be nice for gifts.
    I would love a good recipe for cranberry liqueur. I have bought several times an excellent cranberry liqueur from Russia called "National" and think it would be fun to make my own.

Cranberry Liquer sounds wonderful.

@30 Roses,I also make the cranberry sauce from scratch. You know what I do is use orange juice instead of water. It makes the sauce sweeter(If you like that)
    What do you call people that are afraid of Santa Claus?

Claustrophobic

Blog Entries

I didn't even know there was such a thing as cranberry liqueur!

I didn't even know there was such a thing as cranberry liqueur!
    If you can get your hands on the Russian "National", it's to die for!
    (858)

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Finland distillers make exceptional cranberry liquors

Finland distillers make exceptional cranberry liquors
    True. They (Lapponia for one) also make exceptional cloudberry liqueur called Lakka in Finnish. A taste that defies description.
    (866)

Thanks for that recipe, 30R, sounds yummy.

Basenotes Plus

I would love a good recipe for cranberry liqueur. I have bought several times an excellent cranberry liqueur from Russia called "National" and think it would be fun to make my own.
    In Europe, people make some interesting things by macerating berries/fruits in gin or brandy for a while....vodka is probably used as well.
    The fruit is covered with the alcohol & was traditionally left on a sunny windowsill.
    In the U.K., sloe gin is popular & in Czech they make Sliviovice with plums & brandy.
    There must be some recipes online - I've never tried doing it.

True. They (Lapponia for one) also make exceptional cloudberry liqueur called Lakka in Finnish. A taste that defies description.
    (866)
    Interesting. I've never had cloudberrry liqueur, but I've had fresh and cooked cloudberries. Definitely a taste that defies description. Certainly not what I was expecting from the appearance of the berries.

Basenotes Plus

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Well I just entered the 21st century. I am using my newly acquired TouchScreen 10.1 inch Asus tf300t Transformer tablet with keyboard attached (1,2 ghz Android Jellybean 4.2.1 OS, 1GB RAM, 32GB ROM) for the first time using wireless. Interesting learning curve! Like chess it is "touch-move" and something I will have to get used to doing as my errant touches have sent it scampering all over the place..
    Last edited by kbe; 27th November 2013 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    In the U.K., sloe gin is popular & in Czech they make Sliviovice with plums & brandy.
    Love sloe gin. Slivovitz is just too potent for me. It's like setting a fire in my throat!

- - - Updated - - -

Well I just entered the 21st century. I am using my newly acquired TouchScreen 10.1 inch Asus tf300t Transformer tablet with keyboard attached (1,2 ghz Android Jellybean 4.1 OS, 1GB RAM, 32GB ROM) for the first time using wireless. Interesting learning curve! Like chess it is "touch-move" and something I will have to get used to doing as my errant touches have sent it scampering all over the place..
    Congrats on your electronic purchase! I'll eventually get there.
    (892)

Basenotes Plus

Slivovice is a bit lethal, especially the commercial ones, hednic!

However, here's another video for people celebrating today.

Haven't had slivovitz in ages. Speaking of berry liqueurs, I had a fabulous raspberry liqueur made in Maine while visiting friends there. I cannot remember the brand. Recently I have enjoyed Apple Whiskey by Leopold Bros. It is dangerously easy to sip, very tasty.

Basenotes Plus

My daughter brought a lovely raspberry one back from France couple of years ago, Curly - apple whisky sounds really nice!
    May well go and see if the sloes are ready tomorrow....

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    My daughter brought a lovely raspberry one back from France couple of years ago, Curly - apple whisky sounds really nice!
    May well go and see if the sloes are ready tomorrow....
    Yum, raspberry liqueur... When I tasted it I had the sensation that I was drinking raspberry preserves; it was very jammy smelling and utterly delightful. Upon returning home, I tried to recreate it by macerating fresh raspberries in good quality vodka with some sugar, but my attempt fell far short.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Curly11 View Post
    Yum, raspberry liqueur... When I tasted it I had the sensation that I was drinking raspberry preserves; it was very jammy smelling and utterly delightful. Upon returning home, I tried to recreate it by macerating fresh raspberries in good quality vodka with some sugar, but my attempt fell far short.

That's the problem, Curly11 - these things are not quite as simple as they might appear - a friend used to make birch sap wine but I never managed to come anywhere close to his!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

This is Lapponia Lakka. Lakka is the Finish word for cloudberry.

What the world needs is Lakka Edp!

Basenotes Plus

Either would do nicely!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I just had to share this amazing balancing act:

(Double left-click the video image for full screen, otherwise you may miss seeing part of the right hand side of the video if it is missing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-UT...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by kbe; 28th November 2013 at 08:22 PM.