Code of Conduct
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Off-Topic

Default Re: There Seems to be a Common Thread

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Oh, I thought you were going to say the common theme was alcohol.
    True enough!

^ Enjoy them all in good health !

I'm not much of a scotch or beer drinker, but I join you on Wine and Fragrance. I've had wines I'll remember the rest of my life, like an unbelievable Trocken Baeren Auslese in Baden Baden one year. Several others, too. These days I make a sport of locating treasures in the $15 a bottle or less range. Found a sparkling wine that beats most champagnes and stocked up. Mimosas are something else around our house these days. I'm also exploring teas and was rewarded to find an amazing fruity black tea with flavors that approach those of a great wine. Off to brew a cup right now, as a matter of fact. Yes, the nose reigns!

With you on wine and fragrance, been a longtime coffee slave. Wine was harder to get into, I liked white a lot but reds were hard. Then I discovered Port and it was game over! Riesling and Port are always here, as are Lambic and nifty beers I find. The last new beer I found that I loved was a Dogfish Head Meade made from an actual formula found! Felt like it deserved a chalice worthy of a Viking. These things are fun, lead on nose!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Good for you, I too enjoy those things as well as a good Cuban cigar.
    Send me some of those!

Quote Originally Posted by scooptn View Post
    I look at the things that I take great pleasure in and there is one common theme. Wine, Single Malt Scotch, Craft Brewed Beer, Fragrance, etc. The nose usually makes it or breaks it.
    Your nose has zeroed in on some of the more pleasurable things in life. I share your enthusiasm in the same.

(3890)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Same here!
    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Your nose has zeroed in on some of the more pleasurable things in life. I share your enthusiasm in the same.

(3890)

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    I'm not much of a scotch or beer drinker, but I join you on Wine and Fragrance... These days I make a sport of locating treasures in the $15 a bottle or less range.
    Not a beer or spirits drinker either but I have fallen for wine. Have only been into it for a few months and still learning likes and dislikes, but I love a couple of glasses in the evening. Tonight will be a Petite Sirah that I paid around $13 for so when you locate a good red in your $15 sporting range (right in my wheelhouse), please feel free to share... I'm all ears.

On that subject, we really need a new forum for "Alternative Hobbies". A thread for red wine, one for white, one for craft beer, one for scotch, one for cigars, etc. Many here have whatever gene it is that makes us *somewhat* obsessive about certain things so I think such a forum would get good traction and traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by chili_willi View Post

On that subject, we really need a new forum for "Alternative Hobbies". A thread for red wine, one for white, one for craft beer, one for scotch, one for cigars, etc. Many here have whatever gene it is that makes us *somewhat* obsessive about certain things so I think such a forum would get good traction and traffic.
    +1, I think this would be a great addition to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by chili_willi View Post
    Not a beer or spirits drinker either but I have fallen for wine. Have only been into it for a few months and still learning likes and dislikes, but I love a couple of glasses in the evening. Tonight will be a Petite Sirah that I paid around $13 for so when you locate a good red in your $15 sporting range (right in my wheelhouse), please feel free to share... I'm all ears.

Good idea on the Alternative Hobbies. We probably only need one for wine. Well, I checked my cupboard and found this darling:

Rasteau1.jpg

And if you like Chateauneuf du Pape and you ever see this next one, grab it. Later vintages may also be good (this one was superb), just search the online reviews.

Vacqueyras1.jpg

To start with, for easy finds go to Whole Foods, ask who the wine guy/gal is and talk. Periodically I ask, "What's the very best (fill in the blank) you have for under $15, $20, whatever." Actually, I ask that anywhere that sells good wines. Good chance of finding something so good you'll be speechless. Or if money is no object for this purchase, you can just ask for the best (fill in the blank); however be wary. The glitziest reputation and highest price don't always translate to the most drinkable wine.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 7th February 2014 at 06:31 AM.

As this thread doesn't appear to be about fragrance it's being merged with the Off Topic thread.
    There is a facility for starting Groups should anyone wish to do so - they are not limited to fragrance discussions.
    http://www.basenotes.net/group.php
    Last edited by lpp; 7th February 2014 at 09:38 AM.

Default Re: Off-Topic

Thanks, Ipp. Is anyone interested in forming a wine group?

I'd be interested in this.

(3918)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I'd be interested in this.

(3918)
    Second

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I'm in!
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

I'm in for a wine group!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Two Upbeat Videos

Terrific! Let me set a group up and send invitations.

Wine group?! Yes please! I'm probably a bit too familiar with the Australian reds.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Oh, I thought you were going to say the common theme was alcohol.
    This made me laugh!

By the way, I was thinking of you recently. I recorded some bird sounds Down Under. Unfortunately the most significant sound note got lost. In the first moment I thought there are bells in the trees. Single, metallic sounds; quite loud, not much modulation or variation.

There seems to be a common thread in scents and birds, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Graphite View Post
    This made me laugh!

By the way, I was thinking of you recently. I recorded some bird sounds Down Under. Unfortunately the most significant sound note got lost. In the first moment I thought there are bells in the trees. Single, metallic sounds; quite loud, not much modulation or variation.

There seems to be a common thread in scents and birds, no?
    That's so cool, Graphite !
    Whereabouts in Oz were you ? Do you know what kind of bird you were recording ?

That's so cool, Graphite !
    Whereabouts in Oz were you ? Do you know what kind of bird you were recording ?
    ĄThe bellsĒ I heard in Melbourne; I will have to do some research which bird this could have been.
    I also attended some bush orchestras near Auckland and in Sydney the chirpies are unequivocally nuts.
    I hardly saw them from a distance where I could make out some characteristics of their physical appearance. One of course was the Kookaburra. Hysterical.
    I really enjoyed the strangeness of their sounds and to sink into their dramaturgy. Maybe I should get myself some binoculars.
    Do you know a site where one can look up bird sounds? Or will the search engine do the trick?

Do you know a site where one can look up bird sounds? Or will the search engine do the trick?
    Googling led me to this video:

And, there are these websites: http://www.urbanbirder.com.au/recordings
    http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/spec...rus-bracteatus
    Last edited by socalwoman; 10th February 2014 at 06:18 PM.

^ I too was thinking of bell- miners/ birds. I remember them well from my time spent living in Queensland.
    Binoculars do enhance the birding experience, as does a field guide to local birds. Have fun and keep us updated on what you see/hear ! I know Jon Rogers is a keen birder. Anyone else ?

I spent a good deal of time hiking and birding when I was younger. Now my birding is mostly from my balcony, windows or what I spot when out and about.

Blog Entries

We had a new bird with a magical song last year. What I should have done was recorded it. I never could spot it. Must have been some kind of warbler.

I have always enjoyed birds too. Your story of the bell birds put me in mind of a bird we have here called the brownheaded cowbird. It makes the most unusual vocalization which reminds me of musical instruments. I can't quite describe it, but here is a video.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

This disheartening photograph from the 1870s shows why the American Bison (Buffalo) are today a nearly extinct species.

The caption of the photo:

A huge pile of American Bison skulls waiting to be ground up to be used as fertilizer...

http://slightlywarped.com/crapfactor...Skull-Pile.jpg

How repulsive!

(4123)

I'm not much of a scotch or beer drinker, but I join you on Wine and Fragrance. I've had wines I'll remember the rest of my life, like an unbelievable Trocken Baeren Auslese in Baden Baden one year. Several others, too. These days I make a sport of locating treasures in the $15 a bottle or less range. Found a sparkling wine that beats most champagnes and stocked up. Mimosas are something else around our house these days. I'm also exploring teas and was rewarded to find an amazing fruity black tea with flavors that approach those of a great wine. Off to brew a cup right now, as a matter of fact. Yes, the nose reigns!
    Devoted tea and coffee drinker here. Have you tried the Buddhas Tears/Pearls? The most delicately flavoured green jasmine tea, my go to when I've overdone the coffee.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    This disheartening photograph from the 1870s shows why the American Bison (Buffalo) are today a nearly extinct species.

The caption of the photo:

A huge pile of American Bison skulls waiting to be ground up to be used as fertilizer...

http://slightlywarped.com/crapfactor...Skull-Pile.jpg
    Yes, I believe the buffaloes along with the American Indians were considered a hindrance to the transcontinental train. Really silly considering how little space the trains occupy on the landscape.

Blog Entries

https://www.facebook.com/paula.day.5...62128570512624

Try this link. Just too cute. Must love dogs and babies.
    Last edited by kumquat; 12th February 2014 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/paula.day.5...62128570512624

Try this link. Just too cute. Must love dogs and babies.
    Link doesn't seem to work for me. Says content currently unavailable.

(4133)

Blog Entries

Last edited by kumquat; 12th February 2014 at 08:44 PM.

Think this was recently posted by "Kbe" in another thread or this one further up. Never get tired of looking at this though!

(4137)

Blog Entries

Oh, maybe that's why I liked it!

Amazing, I came here to talk about wine I'm in as well!
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NorstrÝm View Post
    Amazing, I came here to talk about wine I'm in as well!
    OK Basenoters/wine enthusiasts...this is an open invitation to join the group! We'd love your participation. Do it!

http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Googling led me to this video:

And, there are these websites: http://www.urbanbirder.com.au/recordings
    http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/spec...rus-bracteatus

Awesome! Thank you, socalwoman, for checking the bells and providing the recording sites! I already spent some time there, just browsing the sounds :-)

I tried to up-load some of my sound files here (.m4a) but it didn't work.

Awesome! Thank you, socalwoman, for checking the bells and providing the recording sites! I already spent some time there, just browsing the sounds :-)

I tried to up-load some of my sound files here (.m4a) but it didn't work.
    My pleasure!

What is this art style called? Is it Ink?

Blog Entries

I think that's watercolor. Not really a style. It's a medium. The materials used to make the piece.

This was in my email inbox this morning. I especially like the bit near the end when the bird mimics the "sound of foresters and their chainsaws".

Blog Entries

Socalwoman- ​Charming, I liked the camera shutter sound especially!

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    This was in my email inbox this morning. I especially like the bit near the end when the bird mimics the "sound of foresters and their chainsaws".
    Amazing!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Default How Reintroducing Wolves After A 70 Year Absence Revitalized Yellowstone National Park

Why videos I post keep appearing truncated on my screen (yours too?) is a mystery...

Hit this link to see it in full size on YouTube if necessary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_w69_BIcaA

Geesh!
    Last edited by kbe; 21st February 2014 at 07:39 PM.

That was absolutely amazing. Thanks for posting that informative video. Incredible how one animal could have such a huge impact on the environment.

Blog Entries

Thanks, KBE! Amazing!

Very cool KBE - who knew?

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Truly amazing indeed! I had no idea..

Blog Entries

I can't seem to download video. :-(
    Last edited by kumquat; 21st February 2014 at 11:58 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I've been enjoying the videos on wimp.com every day since that link was posted. This one on wolves at Yellowstone was really fascinating!

Thank you to everyone for posting all the fantastic videos. I just love video night on Basenotes.

Thanks KBE for sharing - what an amazing, amazing story. I loved the video and am probably going to force everyone I know to watch it.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

Wait for it, wait for it...

Last edited by JiveHippo; 22nd February 2014 at 01:29 PM.

Blog Entries

Jive hippo, very fun! I'm having trouble posting videos. Any suggestions?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wil...ng-ladder.html

Try viewing this link.
    Last edited by kumquat; 22nd February 2014 at 03:24 PM.

Blog Entries

Try viewing this link.
    That's really brilliant using the ladder, and also the truck to get close without mama bear freaking out!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    That's really brilliant using the ladder, and also the truck to get close without mama bear freaking out!
    Yes, bears, wolves and lions are entitled to live in the forest. If humans must interact, one hopes they can do so with vision and co-operation.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Try viewing this link.
    kumquat I tried to post your video and had negative results also. I suspect it is because it is not one of the supported video formats:

"Supported videos include:
    Hulu YouTube (Long) YouTube (Short) Vimeo Dailymotion Metacafe Google facebook"

Blog Entries

I tried copying the link first from you tube.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Here's the same video from YouTube-- oh, it's truncated! You may have to click on the title (bearladder) to see it on YouTube.