Code of Conduct
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Off-Topic

Blog Entries

Default Re: Off-Topic

Wow, Hednic. That sounds wonderful!

Here come the daffodils!
    Last edited by kumquat; 16th April 2014 at 10:15 PM.

Blog Entries

I hope you don't mind a gratuitous "cat shot". I can't believe my iPad worked so well this close!

After the joyous experience of selling my house in NY, moving across the country, renting a house until the one I bought was ready then moving again...the only place I want to go is back to NYC for my granddaughters birthday. No matter where I go NY will always be home.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Any interesting and exciting summer travel plans in store for anyone?
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

That is exceedingly cool....I am sure everyone will have an unbelievable experience...enjoy.

In June/July, I'll be in Brazil for 2 World Cup matches with my two sons (really excited) and then later in the beginning of August an 8 day European cruise on the Adriatic (Greece, Montenegro, Croatia and Italy) with my wife.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Any animal shot is welcome..gratuitous or not...that is a nice looking cat.

Here come the daffodils![/QUOTE]

I am not a big cat lover, but how could one not fall in love with that creature above! Beautiful photo.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

Thanks, MrNY & Hednic, she really is a special little cat. She loves to climb up trees and run around on our flat roof. :-)

Record Basejump off the Burj Khalifa in Dubai - thrilling!

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Very cool hednic!

Well, say goodbye to the internet as we know it. It's been fun while it lasted!

http://time.com/74703/net-neutrality...ers-advocates/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Very cool hednic!

Well, say goodbye to the internet as we know it. It's been fun while it lasted!

http://time.com/74703/net-neutrality...ers-advocates/
    Very sad indeed.

Blog Entries

Super cool and scary! How do they do it?

Wow, how awesome. How beautiful is Dubai? Jeeze!

Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin.)

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD Slumberhouse, CdG & More...

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Super cool and scary! How do they do it?
    Don't know, but not even for all the fragrances in the world would I get up there and do what they did!

Wow… flippin nutcases….

I saw that a couple of them had grounded themselves forever fairly recently. Apparently missed a deeper turning. What a sacrifice for a thrill. I'm not prepared to be a danger mouse. I like my terra firma and my children are too precious to me to risk anything.

Their suits have built in wings like those flying squirrels.

for swap/sale:

took this photo just now

View of the burj from my in laws place

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

Hey, nice view! That's one tall structure!

I see the Sear's Tower every morning on my way to work, from about 20 miles away...always impressive seeing such large man-made structures. Still can't believe this tower is about 1000ft higher than the Sears. Dubai looks like a gorgeous city.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    took this photo just now

View of the burj from my in laws place

Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin.)

I wouldn't mind looking out my window to that view every day!

This was my old view when I was living downtown in the South Loop. I miss that and nothing much else about living downtown...I used this photo for a work blog I wrote about photographing skylines. Definitely the best photo I've taken...Chicago looks like Gothem City!

Last edited by rynegne; 25th April 2014 at 02:17 PM.

Blog Entries

As if the Sears (Willis) Tower weren't scary enough, they've apparently added the "sky deck" to frighten the poop out of you.

Still haven't done this yet, although, I did go visit the Sky Deck as a kid. Pretty cool experience, but not worth the 2 hour wait in line. If you're ever Chicago on a nice summer day...skip the Sky Deck and do an architectural tour of the city by kayak!

As if the Sears (Willis) Tower weren't scary enough, they've apparently added the "sky deck" to frighten the poop out of you.

Blog Entries

My husband and I went up in the 1980's (I think it was) but this was evidently added recently. It was scary enough then. I couldn't go close to the windows, which were dirty, BTW but that was ok, if they had been crystal clear, it probably would have been even creepier. As soon as I got up there I wanted to turn around and go back down. I don't know how people work in offices up there. It would be too weird. The building sways. The elevator takes a long time and your ears pop. It's not normal!

Haha, very true your ears do pop on the way up. It's crazy to think that people work that high up in offices. I'm not sure how I would feel about the swaying of the building...even though that's what it's designed to do. That would definitely freak me out. I was fine when I went up on a field trip back in the early 90s...but now I'm afraid of heights...mostly instability and heights really. I don't mind being high up in an enclosed space or on a plane...but put me on a shaky ladder or near a cliff's edge and I'll start sweating profusely haha.

My husband and I went up in the 1980's (I think it was) but this was evidently added recently. It was scary enough then. I couldn't go close to the windows, which were dirty, BTW but that was ok, if they had been crystal clear, it probably would have been even creepier. As soon as I got up there I wanted to turn around and go back down. I don't know how people work in offices up there. It would be too weird. The building sways. The elevator takes a long time and your ears pop. It's not normal!

Off topic: I need to rant.

I can't hate my mail carrier. In fact, I shouldn't even complain. My mail carrier is a really nice person. She's always friendly and chatty. And she's so good at her job that when a friend sent me a package and got my address totally wrong, she (the mail carrier) recognized my name and got the package to me. The address had been for a previous street address before I moved - but even that was wrong, because it had the wrong apartment number. The only thing my friend got right was my name, city and zip code. And yet, the mail carrier delivered it. Really, I can't complain.

But, come on!!! Why does my building have to be last on the mail carrier's route?!? I've got goodies in the mail today and my package tracker app shows they're out for delivery!

I used to live in a building where the mail was always delivered first thing in the morning. Oh, I miss those days.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

This looks awesome! Definitely on my to-do list now...

If you come to town...let me know. We'll do a mini-meet up and do some fragrance hunting on Michigan Avenue!

Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    This looks awesome! Definitely on my to-do list now...

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    If you come to town...let me know. We'll do a mini-meet up and do some fragrance hunting on Michigan Avenue!
    I travel a lot, Ryan, so I'm bound to get back to Chicago at some point. I haven't been there for probably a year and a half, or so ... but I'll definitely let you know!

It's a shame that their time is short lived!

https://screen.yahoo.com/so-cute/hor...080704765.html

We should learn from this but we won't.

That was really cute!

Blog Entries

Yes, so sweet. Some animals can really connect. It's so amazing.

I'm definitely not one for cliche internet cat videos ... but this one really kinda got me.

Seriously cute. It's so deliberately affectionate.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I see the Sear's Tower every morning on my way to work
    Heh... Will people *ever* refer to it by "Willis Tower", since it was renamed in 2009, or will it forever be the "Sears Tower"? :-)

I remember visiting Chicago a few years back and they still had the Sears logo on it... Had dinner there at the Metropolitan Club. 67th floor. Awesome views.

Finally got my big doggy (Caucasian Ovcharka) to agree to go rides in the car with me. He's so smart he thinks that the car = trip to the doctor !

Therefore, for more than 4 years, the doctor has been paying us house visits for yearly shots etc, just because he doesn't like to get inside the car.

Also, all our daily trips/adventures consisted of just being "on foot".... until now

Big accomplishment ! I'm so happy we got over it.
    Last edited by tdwctdwc; 28th April 2014 at 05:19 AM.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Quote Originally Posted by tdwctdwc View Post
    Finally got my big doggy (Caucasian Ovcharka) to agree to go rides in the car with me. He's so smart he thinks that the car = trip to the doctor !

Therefore, for more than 4 years, the doctor has been paying us house visits for yearly shots etc, just because he doesn't like to get inside the car.

Also, all our daily trips/adventures consisted of just being "on foot".... until now

LOOOOOL.
    reminds me of this vine lol
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=3&theater

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    LOOOOOL.
    reminds me of this vine lol
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=3&theater
    Hehe, good one
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Blog Entries

Another garden report from the middle of the US. This is our cherry (pie) tree. We lost the center portion of it in an ice storm. Now it looks pretty pathetic. The white flowers still sparkle, though. I have to fight the grackles for the ripe fruit.
    Last edited by kumquat; 28th April 2014 at 11:59 PM.

Blog Entries

You can see the sexy red bark.

Blog Entries

Here are some ostrich ferns, Virginia bluebells and hosta coming up near the stairs to our outside studio. The purple flowers are the 'redbud tree'.

Blog Entries

Just for fun, here's another photo. Sorry if this is really dull. You can see hostas coming, and peonies. And weeds.

Blog Entries

This is interesting. And very high up.

Blog Entries

Last edited by kumquat; 29th April 2014 at 12:56 AM.

Laughing..that is great. Reminds me of the Lexus or BMW commercial where the woman sends directions from her phone to the car. The woman, her daughter and the dog pile into the car. The directions come up on the screen. It is directions to the vet and the appointment says neutering. The little girl asks her mom...what is neu-ter-ing as she tries to sound it out. The dogs ears perk up, he gives a small yelp and promptly jumps out of the car. Never had that problem with my two dogs. They just fight who will be the navigator.

Quote Originally Posted by tdwctdwc View Post

I was not familiar with this breed....Caucasian Ovcharka.....I just finished looking at some pictures. Those are magnificent animals.

This is interesting. And very high up.
    That was absolutely amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrnybluesman View Post
    I was not familiar with this breed....Caucasian Ovcharka.....I just finished looking at some pictures. Those are magnificent animals.
    It's considered an "almost" rare breed. There are only one or two breeders in the US i think. It's one of the oldest breeds in the world and one of the few that kept the same temperament of its oldest ancestors. Not gonna talk about their lengthy history but you can google it

They're extremely smart. My dog understands sentences, not only words. They are very powerful and the opposite of what is considered a "gentle giant ", especially during play time ! They're naturally very suspicious and hostile towards strangers and other animals, therefore, heavy socializing is an absolute must with puppies at an early age. They're very independent and need a owner that shows consistent leadership or else they will take the role of the leader and it would be a disaster.

With that being said, they're very affectionate towards family members.

I can talk for hours about them, but like i said, you can just google and read more

I had to look up what a 'grackle' was too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    I had to look up what a 'grackle' was too.
    That's great! Yes, they're from the starling family. We also have gobs of them. The funny thing is, they were brought here by the English, who were lonely for them. They thrive here and blacken the skies in places.

Blog Entries

More garden stuff. At least we're getting some rain. Yay! (Ice King daffodils)
    Last edited by kumquat; 1st May 2014 at 10:17 PM.

Blog Entries

Hyacinth, they smell divine!
    Last edited by kumquat; 1st May 2014 at 10:18 PM.

Blog Entries

I think these are pretty great. Very tough compared to the real thing. These are "false forget-me-nots". Brunnera
    Last edited by kumquat; 1st May 2014 at 10:20 PM.

Blog Entries

A really nice hosta. I'm pretty sure this is called "June".

Beautiful Hostas, kumquat - they'd be chewed away in no time by the snails in my garden & have to be grown in pots with copper bands around them!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Beautiful Hostas, kumquat - they'd be chewed away in no time by the snails in my garden & have to be grown in pots with copper bands around them!
    Thank-you! I did have some problem with slugs when it was wet, but lately it's been dry. Sometimes they do eat holes in them, though.

I wish many of my plants looked as nice as those!

Yes, hednic - they're obviously very happy plants

@kumquat - we find that the blue ones are more slug-resistant over here.

Blog Entries

I wish many of my plants looked as nice as those!
    Thanks for putting up with my daffodil addiction. It's almost as bad as my addiction to perfume.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Yes, hednic - they're obviously very happy plants

@kumquat - we find that the blue ones are more slug-resistant over here.
    Interesting. They're probably tougher. Where my sister is, in New Jersey they are plagued by deer. There are so many that they brazenly stroll around in the daytime. She can't have hostas at all because the deer eat them, roses, too and almost every pretty thing. They need some predators. Many of the deer have a terrible wasting disease too. It's pretty grim.