Code of Conduct
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Off-Topic

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Off-Topic

I'm posting links to the Estonian Osprey nests for 2014. The nests are about 4 km apart (or 4 miles? Can't recall.)

1. The Osprey Webcam Forum generally: http://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/viewforum.php?f=56

2. The most promising nest to watch at this point is Ilmar and Irma's nest.
    They are on the nest and getting it ready! I saw them there a few minutes ago.

Live Webcam for Ilmar and Irma
    : http://pontu.eenet.ee/player/kalakotkas2.html
    Nest observations/documentation: http://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/v...php?f=56&t=661
    Discussion thread for this nest: http://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=669

3. Madis and Piret's nest.
    Madis returned in April and built a deep nest bowl, then Piret arrived around April 15th; they hung around for a few days but then they both left. It seems that they are nesting elsewhere nearby as they have visited the old nest a few times.
    If a problem occurs with a nest, the couple may leave and create what is called a "frustration nest" near the original nest. The theory is that this is what they did last year after the drama with Oksana (the interloper female). If so, they may have decided to nest again at the so-called "frustration nest" again this year. Another unringed osprey came to the nest and ate some fish there after Madis and Piret abandoned it, but he is gone now too. Maybe he will return? But nothing is happening there right now.

Live Webcam to this currently-vacant nest that used to be Madis and Piret's
    : http://pontu.eenet.ee/player/kalakotkas.html
    Nest observations/documentation: http://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/v...php?f=56&t=658
    Discussion thread for this nest: http://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/v...php?f=56&t=662
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 2nd May 2014 at 07:25 AM.

Thanks, 30Roses - we already have some .threads & links here if anyone's interested in catching up with some of this year's activity.
    http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=103

Edit: Glesni in Dyfi has just produced an egg
    http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?d...e=5&do=discuss
    Last edited by lpp; 2nd May 2014 at 09:23 AM.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the info on the nests. It's always fun to see!

Basenotes Plus

Thank you for the links, 30R / lpp

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

ack...the dreaded double post
    Last edited by kbe; 2nd May 2014 at 04:05 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

This is the link to the Dunedin, Florida osprey nest I had posted many months ago and am re-posting just to widen the opportunity to view live nestings:

http://ospreynest.info/ospreycam.php

I live on the very edge (my living room is about 11 feet from the quickly sloping bank) of a small 3/4 acre lake ringed by tall trees. The lake is over 60 feet deep and fed by an artesian well in the center. We have much activity here. Osprey young being taught by parents to catch the numerous fish that inhabit the lake, marsh hens, fishing cormorants, flocks of overnighter ibis in the trees and the occasional bald eagle fishes it too. Red Tail hawks occasionally hunt small animals around the banks. I have never seen an osprey nest here. Just good fishing.

Oh, yes. Since we are connected to two other close by lakes via a 24" underground culvert and ultimately to the Florida drainage canal system, we get the occasional 4'-5' alligator visit that dramatically cuts down the non-indigenous Muscovy duck population.
    Last edited by kbe; 2nd May 2014 at 04:12 PM.

Blog Entries

kbe, l was feeling quite envious until you mentioned alligators...
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I guess it's wise to have those flashlights handy at night if you happen to be walking outside by the lake!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

KBE, that sounds like a little too much excitement for me! It must be incredible to live around big scary critters like that. The only wildlife we have around here are possums, raccoons the occasional fox, if you're lucky. In the country there are coyotes and even some occasional mountain lions, though they're endangered but not protected. I'm so glad we don't have poisonous snakes here. Some rattlers in other areas of the state, but not where I live.

Alligators on the doorstep. OMG...

We have nothing really dangerous in the UK except feral kids on drugs.

Laughing....about twenty years ago I went to visit someone in Florida....somewhere I never heard of. It was like stepping back in time. He was a marine ecologist or something like that. He took me on a boat ride that was incredible. Like a primeval swamp...beautiful with all sorts of wildlife. His house was right on a lake. An alligator used to hang out there. We went swimming with this thing. Of course, I was younger and perhaps not as....who am I kidding...I would do it again in a heartbeat.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

Any basketball fans? Three game sevens tomorrow and at least two on Sunday. Best opening round playoffs I can remember. I am exceedingly grateful Mothers Day is next weekend.
    Last edited by Mrnybluesman; 3rd May 2014 at 02:51 AM.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

The dozen or so gators who have visited for a few weeks each in the 26 years I have lived here have all stayed in the lake and fed themselves very well there, mostly on Muscovy duck. There are 5 homes around the lake including mine and I have never seen one on land here, nor have I heard a neighbor tell a story of seeing a gator on their dry land property. They usually slowly cruise the lake for a few hours a day during their stay, snout, eyes, mid-back and some bit of the propelling tail visible. Eventually, usually in a few weeks, they use the underground lake-to-drainage canal tunnel to go back where they came from.

Being a fan of nature and wildlife, I consider myself lucky if I see something that is unusual. Somehow in the concrete schoolyards of Brooklyn NY I developed an interest in marine life , especially sharks which continues to this day. Alligators, like sharks are fairly perfect on the evolutionary scale and quite beautiful to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    The dozen or so gators who have visited for a few weeks each in the 26 years I have lived here have all stayed in the lake and fed themselves very well there, mostly on Muscovy duck. There are 5 homes around the lake including mine and I have never seen one on land here, nor have I heard a neighbor tell a story of seeing a gator on their dry land property. They usually slowly cruise the lake for a few hours a day during their stay, snout, eyes, mid-back and some bit of the propelling tail visible. Eventually, usually in a few weeks, they use the underground lake-to-drainage canal tunnel to go back where they came from.
    My parents used to have a home just north of Tampa which backed up to a very large man-made pond that had several resident alligators that often would come out to sun themselves during the day in their back yard. Sometimes the grass served as excellent camoflouge to obscure them.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    My parents used to have a home just north of Tampa which backed up to a very large man-made pond that had several resident alligators that often would come out to sun themselves during the day in their back yard. Sometimes the grass served as excellent camoflouge to obscure them.
    I would agree they are good at hiding in foliage/grass hednic. Our common grass covered lawns become the lake bank and are kept mowed by weedeaters and mowers right down to the water so not much place to hide there. However there are some common areas between the homes that are left natural. They certainly could have hidden there.

Blog Entries

I filmed my back garden. I was trying to record a pretty bird song but of course the bird stopped singing when I went outside. You can hear robins and doves and a few other assorted things, though. I think the one I keep hearing is either a wren or a warbler.
    Last edited by kumquat; 3rd May 2014 at 08:17 PM.

One thing I really like about living in KY is the wildlife you get to see. I have a huge woodpecker in the backyard and when he or she gets goings it is pretty funny. The other day I was sitting on the front porch and a hummingbird paid me a visit. That was pretty incredible to me.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I filmed my back garden. I was trying to record a pretty bird song but of course the bird stopped singing when I went outside.
    Don't you just hate when they do that! It's as if they know you're getting ready to press the record button, stop singing and stick their tongue out at you!

Blog Entries
    Last edited by kumquat; 4th May 2014 at 12:09 AM.

Blog Entries

I'm on a roll. Here's another video- shorter this time.

http://youtu.be/pIHfbs8zrc8

Last edited by kumquat; 3rd May 2014 at 09:45 PM.

My goodness. It's so pretty there. The plants are so very different to here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    My goodness. It's so pretty there. The plants are so very different to here.
    Thank-you. This time of year the colors are so intense. It's irresistible.

summer means fireflys

Very pretty, kumquat! This has been a very colorful Spring here too. We're a bit ahead of you guys, the crabapples have already bloomed.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mrnybluesman View Post
    Those are great. They almost look fake.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the link to the osprey (etc.) group!

My parents used to have an alligator in the pond behind their house in Florida. They would hear its barking sounds at night.

For sentimental value....here's to the Brooklyn Nets who gutted out a first round game seven win on the road....I am not really a Nets fan but I was born and raised there.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post

My parents used to have an alligator in the pond behind their house in Florida. They would hear its barking sounds at night.
    That noise can be very disconcerting when you're trying to sleep!

Sounds a bit more scary than foxes!

Here's a 'blue' hosta for kumquat - lovely videos
    Blue Mouse Ears.jpg

For sentimental value....here's to the Brooklyn Nets who gutted out a first round game seven win on the road....I am not really a Nets fan but I was born and raised there.
    Go Nets!!

I'm proud of our Clippers too - for their show of solidarity during a very rough patch for the team.

Absolutely agree about the Clippers. I give the team and especially Doc Rivers a ton of credit for the manner in which they conducted themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Go Nets!!

I'm proud of our Clippers too - for their show of solidarity during a very rough patch for the team.

I'm on a roll. Here's another video- shorter this time.

Very nice video!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Very nice video!
    Thanks so much. I'm learning to do this with my iPad. I was hoping you all would get a kick out of it. I don't know where the cats were, napping probably. Usually they follow me everywhere.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Sounds a bit more scary than foxes!

Here's a 'blue' hosta for kumquat - lovely videos
    Blue Mouse Ears.jpg
    Thanks so much!

That was great. Animals are hysterical.The huskies, which I am partial to were beautiful. I got conned into taking care of a cat and of course I got the phone call a week later saying she couldn't care for it. Now I have a cat. She would look at me and I would look at her. When I brought my dog home, the one in my avatar, she was smaller than the cat. I figured they would grow up together and be cool. No such luck. I didn't think the cat understood why the dog kept growing and she stayed the same size. When I adopted my second dog the cat had no life. I had to give it to my kid. Cat is happy as a loon now. The only pet, and she is queen of the house.

That was so funny!

Blog Entries

http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and...al-friendships

Here are some more animal friendship videos.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Cute videos kumquat! And that croc!
    Last edited by kbe; 5th May 2014 at 12:14 AM.

Blog Entries

I like the chimp and his dog a lot, too! I have to look at some of the others. The fox is charming.

summer means fireflys

I don't really have a favorite NBA team, but I do follow several Jayhawks that play in the League. With Paul Pierce now on the Nets, that makes them one of "my" teams. Love The Truth!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

He certainly was "the truth" on the last play of the game Sunday. Pierce blocked the shot that saved the game for the nets.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Default Koko The Gorilla Loves Mr. Rogers

Using Sign Language Koko tells Mr. Rogers, her favorite celebrity, that she loves him

Use the direct YouTube link below if your video appears truncated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn79Lgfh1hw
    Last edited by kbe; 6th May 2014 at 03:50 AM.

Incredible intelligence that species has!

He certainly was "the truth" on the last play of the game Sunday. Pierce blocked the shot that saved the game for the nets.
    Let's not speak of that anymore, mkay?

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Default Man Reunites With Gorilla He Saved Who Has Been Living In The Wild The Past 5 Years

I posted this short video a year or two ago but it is worth another posting.

If your video is truncated use the direct YouTube link below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5oznbdFqaQ
    Last edited by kbe; 6th May 2014 at 04:16 AM.

I must have missed it the first time you posted it. Thanks for bringing it back. It was heartwarming.

Absolutely....I am not a fan of the rub-in. I did think Toronto played well. They have a bright future.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Let's not speak of that anymore, mkay?

Wonderful videos. Every time a heartwarming video gets posted, I go pet my two dogs and give them an extra treat. No wonder they get excited when I open the laptop.

Blog Entries

Excellent gorilla posts! I love the KoKo one, too.

Scuba Diving Chimp

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

That was amazing. The chimp knew that he could use the air supply to breathe underwater.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    That was amazing. The chimp knew that he could use the air supply to breathe underwater.
    He did much better than when I attempted it the first time.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Default Good Buds!

Last edited by kbe; 10th May 2014 at 12:34 AM.

Anyone else remember Joe Cocker?

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Anyone else remember Joe Cocker?
    Oh YES! The man was/is a musical icon!

s
    Last edited by kbe; 10th May 2014 at 12:58 AM.

Personally only enjoyed the duet he shared with Jennifer Warnes although respect his talent.

His dance moves were only surpassed by his enunciation of the lyrics IMO..