Code of Conduct
Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,200 of 1730

Thread: Off-Topic

Default Re: Off-Topic

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I'm getting ready to update with a new Apple computer. It's a big investment but they are pretty good machines.
    That's what I should have done.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

The thing I like about Mac is they hardly ever get viruses- so I'm told. Although I have a Virus Scan that seems to be pretty active so not sure on that. But I had an Internet incident in which I was scammed. I was almost hacked but luckily they couldn't get anything from my computer. Macs are almost impossible to get into- so I'm told.

I am a fan of Apple computers. They just seem to have less issues but like you mentioned....definitely expensive. Somewhere back in the stone age, we were doing a computer{I am a computer guy by trade but my heart lies in other things} show and while installing new systems I was first exposed to Apple. I have been impressed ever since. Truth be told I do not use my laptop much anymore. Guitars sharks and tattoos and basenotes....the only thing that stops me from getting the Iphone or Samsung...they do as much as pc's these days is the movie maker function which doesn't work all that well. Still holding on to the Blackberry until it self destructs.

I'm getting ready to update with a new Apple computer. It's a big investment but they are pretty good machines. Overall- computers suck. So much money....
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

Macs do get viruses....they just get less with their operating system. The ratio is about 12 to one. If microsoft gets 12k viruses Macs will get 1k.The problem is that Macs...probably because of this do not add anti viral software...so beware. I also believe that sites visited have a lot to do with viruses.

The thing I like about Mac is they hardly ever get viruses- so I'm told. Although I have a Virus Scan that seems to be pretty active so not sure on that. But I had an Internet incident in which I was scammed. I was almost hacked but luckily they couldn't get anything from my computer. Macs are almost impossible to get into- so I'm told.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mrnybluesman View Post
    Macs do get viruses....they just get less with their operating system. The ratio is about 12 to one. If microsoft gets 12k viruses Macs will get 1k.The problem is that Macs...probably because of this do not add anti viral software...so beware. I also believe that sites visited have a lot to do with viruses.
    Good to know. I guess it's a good thing my computer guy put that on my computer, then.

In fifteen years using Macs I didn't had a single virus. At least no one I noticed.
    But I am actually thinking of switching to Linux/Ubuntu.
    Our greatest evils flow from ourselves. – Jean-Jacques Rousseau

I think Windows 9 or whatever they may call it will be announced the end of Sept.

Good Lord! Just bought two new computers with Windows 8,1 Pro and soon they'll be rolling out Windows 9
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

A job with a view

Blog Entries

Jon, the link doesn't seem to work. :-(

Basenotes Plus

Jon, the link doesn't seem to work. :-(
    Strange - no problems here .

Maybe it will work via a link to the original article ? ...

http://www.pirelli.com/mediagallery/...032256483.html
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 22nd August 2014 at 05:23 PM.

That was beautiful Jon!

Blog Entries

Thanks- that was terrifying! I almost lost my breakfast.

I don't think they bother about their SOTD.

Blog Entries

For other parents of college students, the following is a college insurance plan that looks good. It was recommended by parents posting on College Confidential forum.

The deductible is only $25, all the student's stuff is covered (costly textbooks, clothing, electronics etc.) for 12 months, whether student is in dorm, at home or studying abroad.

Importantly, if a claim is filed, it won't result in an increase in the parents' homeowner's insurance premiums.

http://www.collegestudentinsurance.com/

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Good Lord! Just bought two new computers with Windows 8,1 Pro and soon they'll be rolling out Windows 9
    Think new automobile models every year and new, 'improved' toothbrush design about every 6 months..
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    A job with a view

My goodness, what a view!!

"If I saw farther than other men it was because I stood on giant shoulders."--Isaac Newton

I might have chosen this music by the golden horn of the late Donald Byrd ("Christo Redentor") as background to the video had I produced it:

Last edited by kbe; 22nd August 2014 at 09:37 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Basenotes Plus

Default Off-Topic

Thanks Jon

I am terrified of height but loving the part when he talked to his son on the phone while up high. I wonder whether he could see Hednic's house from up there :-)

Btw, I need help to look for this guy (please see the link below) so that I can send him a few bottles of cologne. I think he really needs them. Thanks in advance.

Warning: don't click on the link if you are about to have a meal

http://www.vice.com/read/professional-poo-diver

Last edited by CapriDog; 23rd August 2014 at 12:00 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    Btw, I need help to look for this guy (please see the link below) so that I can send him a few bottles of cologne. I think he really needs them. Thanks in advance.

http://www.vice.com/read/professional-poo-diver

You'll be sending him eau de toilette, presumably

Blog Entries

Hee hee. I think I'll be needing some, too.

Basenotes Plus

He seems to be a very nice person. I would give him a big hug, presumably not on his work day :P

Jon
    Loved that view. We were both goggle eyed at him sitting on the end. You'd have to have faith........ in the structure.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/theres-a...in-nyc-whales/ Very cool...another reason to love NYC.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mrnybluesman View Post
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/theres-a...in-nyc-whales/ Very cool...another reason to love NYC.
    How great for NYC! Another plus indeed.

I would give quite a bit to see a shark or a whale free swimming. It is on my bucket list. I have tried but have yet to experience the thrill.

How great for NYC! Another plus indeed.

Yes an incredible sight wherever they happen to be spotted.

I saw some humpback whales off the coast of Cabo. It was pretty cool.

Blog Entries

Rescue of Houston construction worker from burning building.

I am jealous. To see those magnificent creatures in the wild has to be up there with all the special things that make one feel deeply...whatever that may be as I am sure it is different for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by tensor9 View Post
    I saw some humpback whales off the coast of Cabo. It was pretty cool.

As one who has been in a burning building that is pretty incredible. That...to me is one of the most terrifying scenario's if it was my time.

Rescue of Houston construction worker from burning building.
    That was incredible!

That was incredible!
    wow just amazing.

Cool picture of something I have never seen...
    Last edited by Mrnybluesman; 28th August 2014 at 01:28 PM.

What is it?

That is a baby wombat and I had no clue what it was when I first saw the picture.

What is it?

Blog Entries

That is so cute. He looks like a handful!

It looks like an old lecher getting ready for a mani-pedi.

Blog Entries

At least he looks to be in a good mood.

I didn't know wombats went to the dentist.... and without any clothes on.

Blog Entries

It seems we are about to lose yet another large pine. This is white pine. Not usually affected by the blight. It may only be old. It could also be a victim of the drought.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphite View Post
    In fifteen years using Macs I didn't had a single virus. At least no one I noticed.
    But I am actually thinking of switching to Linux/Ubuntu.
    I've been using Ubuntu since 2007. It's a great OS, although Linux has so many flavors it's hard for to me to stay with one. Mint, OpenSuse, Fedora and PCLinux are just several of the many different versions, which have made me become a "distro-hopper".
    The Dreamer from Versace: what does this scent have that is so alluring and enticing towards the opposite sex ?

Thought of the day....lol.

Heaven is a English policeman, a French chef, a German engineer, a Italian lover, and everything organized by the Swiss, whereas Hell is an English chef, a French engineer, a German policeman, a Swiss lover and everything organized by the Italians.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post

Heaven is a English policeman, a French chef, a German engineer, a Italian lover, and everything organized by the Swiss, whereas Hell is an English chef, a French engineer, a German policeman, a Swiss lover and everything organized by the Italians.
    This made my morning!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post

A great universal truth taught to me by a favorite art history professor. Thanks for the refresher. I couldn't remember how it went, exactly.

There is simply nothing to say....http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/...-michael-life/ After reading this I will admit I stole the roast chicken and both my dogs had a feast. I then went and brought home take out. My family looked at me and nodded..they understood. I do not know if my dogs would do anything remotely like that. I do know that when I read about a dog being able to sense things my husky will not leave someone's side if they are ill. Does not matter if they laze around the house, bark at the neighbors horses, or smile with unbridled joy as they chase some perceived threat in the yard, They bring unquestioned love and loyalty...and in my book that is a rare quality for any living thing.

Very heartwarming account.

Blog Entries

Those rescue stories are so amazing. I saw one on tv about a retriever that pulled a young boy from a lake. He saw the boy fall off the dock and then he barked until some people came and helped. But in the meantime he held the boy up out of the water.

Another I saw on TV was extraordinary. Two boys were playing on a slide with a bungee cord. (Weird, I know) they were young, maybe 7, wearing zippered jackets. One boy at the top of the slide had the bright idea to hook the bungee cord to the back of the other boy's jacket when he went down the slide. The boy started strangling. The first boy didn't know what to do but he did run to get get help. His mother and the boy's mother were a few minutes away in the next yard. In those crucial minutes, the golden retriever who had been watching, jumped up on the bottom of the slide and pushed on the boy's feet as hard as he could to keep him from choking. The dog's toenails were slipping on the slide. And how did he know enough to do that? Well he saved that boy. It was just incredible.
    Last edited by kumquat; 31st August 2014 at 05:47 PM.

My dog, Tippy, pulled my 4 year old brother out of the San Gabriel River. Tippy was a mutt and weighed less then ten pounds.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    My dog, Tippy, pulled my 4 year old brother out of the San Gabriel River. Tippy was a mutt and weighed less then ten pounds.
    Mutts are the best! Isn't it shocking what trouble toddlers can get up to? It's a wonder any of us have lived so long.

Mutts are the best!
    Best tempered and more docile.

A Dog Pool Party!

Blog Entries

A Dog Pool Party!

Happy dogs!

That is my idea of a party!!!

A Dog Pool Party!

This is a screenshot made a few minutes ago from one of the live cams on the International Space Station as it went over South America tonight:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/live-iss-stream

Wow that's neat! Space technology has always fascinated me.

They are flighting a 3d printer into space now as well, amazing how far technology has come.

Not your everyday animal pairing!

Not your everyday animal pairing!

They are too cool!

Just sharing some music.