Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Off-Topic

Default Off-Topic

Anyone following the welcome home thread will know that suggestions for off-topic withdrawal symptom management have been:

Create user managed groups
    Write and maintain user blogs
    Have a single GFD thread dedicated to OT

To keep up with the conversations, you can utilise the quote button. Most people seem to be happy to keep to fragrance talk, but in the instance of a burning desire to share sandwich pics (I'm hoping you can all hear the humour in my "voice" and not taking offence) I thought I'd kick off a thread.

Here is a picture of a sandwich or two in waiting to start you off... (my wholewheat rolls, proving in the unseasonal sunshine!)

photo.jpg

Default Re: Off-Topic

Ha!

You're a great sport, Danielle, and I bet your rolls are very yummy, too!

Does it have to be a sandwich? Presuming I'm not going too off-topic, hehe, I'll post a doggy pic. I've posted this before, but he deserves more play than he previously got. This is my very favorite picture of a chihuahua standing in cheeseburgers.

Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Banned
    Blog Entries

still not the same

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    still not the same

Why do you hate baked goods and dogs?
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Ha! That dog would fit in a sandwich! Thanks for taking a positive approach Evangeline.

Sorry Tony, but that's the point! It's not supposed to be the same.

More on groups soon. Am thinking of starting one called Dani's Tea Room, where you can come and have a cuppa and a chat, air your grievances, ask questions and post pictures. Also baking. There will probably be a lot of baking talk...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    This is my very favorite picture of a chihuahua standing in cheeseburgers.

That's a great picture Evangeline!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleCooper View Post
    Am thinking of starting one called Dani's Tea Room, where you can come and have a cuppa and a chat, air your grievances, ask questions and post pictures. Also baking. There will probably be a lot of baking talk...

Great idea!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Can I get some of that well prepare ship to me: Promise, I will sent payment via PayPal once received.....Lol
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Basenotes Plus

Am thinking of starting one called Dani's Tea Room, where you can come and have a cuppa and a chat, air your grievances, ask questions and post pictures.

Count me in .

Maybe I'll launch a Basenotes Boutique - my staff and premises are ready and waiting ...

More on groups soon. Am thinking of starting one called Dani's Tea Room, where you can come and have a cuppa and a chat, air your grievances, ask questions and post pictures. Also baking. There will probably be a lot of baking talk...
    Count me in, too. When does it start?!!
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Count me in .

Maybe I'll launch a Basenotes Boutique - my staff and premises are ready and waiting ...

Now that's a place l'd definitely hang out!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Would love to frequent this place also.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Will we get back the one in which we type the next word that comes to mind? That was fun.

Count me in .

Jon I really love those picks. Especially, the ones that make me homesick. Couple that with some awesome Classical pieces and I'm blubbering away in pure heaven.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Thanks for this thread!

It's that time of year for leaf removal. For the past few years I've bugged my husband to hire someone to clean out the gutters, but he didn't want to spend the money for a job he could do himself. We have a ranch style house with a walk-out basement, so the distance to the ground is doubly high in the back. He's 67 and I think no one his age, let alone with shoulder and hip arthritis, should be precariously perched on a ladder so far off the ground.

I know too many older people who had serious falls from trees, ladders and roofs doing jobs they could have hired professionals for.
    • One man, who fell from a ladder while painting his house, ended up in a body cast for many months, then walked significantly bent over for the rest of his life.
    • The second one was cutting a tree branch, and lost his balance when the limb broke off sooner than he expected it to. He lost one entire hemisphere of his brain when he hit the ground, and is now living in a SNF permanently. There goes his retirement! I feel for his wife, with whom I used to work.
    • The third shattered his ankle in 3 places and despite surgery, walked painfully for the rest of his life. He finally died from MRSA caught at a hospital after a subsequent (unrelated) knee surgery. Hospitals are not good places to be these days.

I'm sure the wives of all three wished their husbands had hired someone.

This year I finally persuaded my husband, so we're getting quotes on the gutter job.

Men, please think twice about doing dangerous jobs on your house or trees. Falls are not uncommon and injuries can be severe. What would happen to your family's finances with you disabled?

Off my soapbox now.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 5th November 2013 at 05:00 PM. Reason: typo

30 roses you are very thoughtful and right on the mark. I'm afraid even when in middle age this happens more frequently than we perhaps let on.
    For instance a co-worker's husband has had a problem with his knees and has had at least two surgeries to compensate from a fall off a two story ladder cleaning out the gutters a couple of years ago. She is so frustrated with him on that event and has had to use vacation time from work to coordinate visits to therapy and the Doctor.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

So true, two of those injuries I referred to happened when the men were middle aged.

If you do hire someone be sure they carry insurance. You don't want to be sued to pay for their injuries should they fall on your property.

Ha!

You're a great sport, Danielle, and I bet your rolls are very yummy, too!

Does it have to be a sandwich? Presuming I'm not going too off-topic, hehe, I'll post a doggy pic. I've posted this before, but he deserves more play than he previously got. This is my very favorite picture of a chihuahua standing in cheeseburgers.

I'm stealing this!

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    So true, two of those injuries I referred to happened when the men were middle aged.

If you do hire someone be sure they carry insurance. You don't want to be sued to pay for their injuries should they fall on your property.
    No way! If a worker injures themselves on your property whilst engaged to work for you they can sue?! Fellow Brits, does that hold here?!

Blog Entries

To All -

I love the flow of conversations here. Now, this is the beginning of that sorely missed OFF TOPIC exchange, after all.

Kudos !
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

No way! If a worker injures themselves on your property whilst engaged to work for you they can sue?! Fellow Brits, does that hold here?!
    They should have insurance - if they don't, any damage that they accidentally caused to your property wouldn't be covered either.
    A workman here was very slightly shot (by the local shoot) whilst repairing someone's window but he didn't sue anyone - it would have been too costly.

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    Will we get back the one in which we type the next word that comes to mind? That was fun.
    SF - I think that thread is one of the main reasons the OT forum was removed. It was generating huge amounts of traffic.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Blog Entries

LOL at "slightly shot"!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    LOL at "slightly shot"!

He didn't - they suggested that the next time they were in the area any workmen in the vicinity should be allowed a tea break.....

@ DanielleCooper

Off all people that it is you who is bumping an off topic.

*yay*, thanks so much Danielle! This is great! And I am hungry a bit, talking about baking, rolls, sandwiches. Those look like Mcdonald's cheeseburgers under that guy, lol. They have that look to them, complete with the non-melting cheese square. Maybe I should start a group, "Kalli's Kitchen Disasters", LOL. For my dishes gone wrong.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    @ DanielleCooper

Off all people that it is you who is bumping an off topic.
    Why yes! We asked for it - we got.

An OFF TOPIC thread in the General Fragrance Discussion Section.

As soon as I have something good to add, I will participate.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    Why yes! We asked for it - we got.

An OFF TOPIC thread in the General Fragrance Discussion Section.

As soon as I have something good to add, I will participate.
    Add anything you want now you still can.

Basenotes Institution

Count me in .

Well- would you look at that !!!
    The secret is out.... Red and I have been in partnership for years . ( Just kidding ...though it certainly looks like it. *LOL* ) Cheers Jon ! Hugs Red !

I remember seeing that one posted, too cute. Cats can be like that! I had a cat and part of the house was just her part of the house. The dog in the house at the time..came to her part of the house once...she got a good scratch on the nose for that, yelped and never went to that part again. lol.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

That is cute, martinijo - poor doggies.

Okay y'all, here's a tip. If you frequently cook with onions but they bother your eyes, get yourself some onion goggles - no more tears! They really work. We cook with lots of aromatics down here and tons of onions, and over the last several years I've gotten a pair of these for almost every cook I know, and they all rave about them. They're not the most stylish specs on the block, but I won't chop an onion without them.

This is actually a trained therapy dog - he works with the mentally ill in Eastern Europe and with schoolchildren as well.

E, now that looks like it really works!!! I'd love a pair! I wonder where to get those? I think I mentioned how Martha Stewart said to light a candle while chopping an onion...never worked for me! Some tip that was.

summer means fireflys

30 Roses' post about injuries leads me to mention that this week is Radiologic Technologist Week here in the US. If you know a registered X-ray tech, tell them "thank you" for all you do!

xray.jpg

And yes ... we do have great lost and found stories!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Okay y'all, here's a tip. If you frequently cook with onions but they bother your eyes, get yourself some onion goggles - no more tears! They really work. We cook with lots of aromatics down here and tons of onions, and over the last several years I've gotten a pair of these for almost every cook I know, and they all rave about them. They're not the most stylish specs on the block, but I won't chop an onion without them.

No need for any ridiculous pink glasses.

LOL, Jon, that is so funny! I did think briefly about getting swimming goggles thinking those may work. But E's goggles seem better.

Default Chap you sent me a PM

Can the UK Basenoter who sent me a PM a day before the forum moving please send me another message containing your address?
    I like others lost PM'S.

Thanks
    Steve

Default Re: Chap you sent me a PM

Nice to do business on BN.

kalli - the onion goggles can be found at Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    xray.jpg

And yes ... we do have great lost and found stories!
    Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    No need for any ridiculous pink glasses.

Lol, again!

Default Re: Chap you sent me a PM

Hi stevehurkett - your settings are preventing other members from sending you pm's at the moment.
    Please alter them (link at top right of page) if you wish to receive pm's.
    If you have a problem altering them please send a pm or raise a thread in the Community Centre.
    Thank you!

As this thread is not about Male Fragrance it's being transferred to the Off Topic thread here
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370482-Off-Topic
    Last edited by lpp; 6th November 2013 at 08:54 PM.

Check out this Chinese movie poster for the movie Thor 2. It seems Thor is giving the villain Loki a cuddle. lol

I like that, Graphite.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Check out this Chinese movie poster for the movie Thor 2. It seems Thor is giving the villain Loki a cuddle. lol

Half brothers, right? LOL!!

HERE's my off-topic article of the day.

Poor kids!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post

LOL! Where I'm from, that's not called a "cuddle"...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post

Poor kids!
    Just when you think you've seen it all...

Excellent tip, Evangeline! I had no idea these even existed. My eyes burn and stream tears when I chop or slice onions so I am glad to see these goggles.

Blog Entries

Count me in .

LOL! Love it!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Well- would you look at that !!!
    The secret is out.... Red and I have been in partnership for years . ( Just kidding ...though it certainly looks like it. *LOL* ) Cheers Jon ! Hugs Red !
    Yup. But how come we're not rich from this swanky niche boutique? HEY! That's right! I haven't gotten a single check! Where have all our checks been going?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    But how come we're not rich from this swanky niche boutique? HEY! That's right! I haven't gotten a single check! Where have all our checks been going?

Today's off-topic post: Old black and white photos, colorized

Liz Taylor was something else!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    LOL! Love it!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Yup. But how come we're not rich from this swanky niche boutique? HEY! That's right! I haven't gotten a single check! Where have all our checks been going?

Dear Mimi and Red,

With many thanks,

your servant

Le Grand Duc
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kbe; 9th November 2013 at 01:26 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Today's off-topic post: Old black and white photos, colorized

Liz Taylor was something else!
    The ones of the Hindenburg and Times Square war photo are great.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post

Dear Mimi and Red,

With many thanks,

your servant

Le Grand Duc
    I remember this panel from a comic book I once read a zillion years ago!

Wow. Off topic isn't loading for me at all..what the heck happened? It's like a text msg with too many characters and it went all crazy. Weird! I don't see any msgs above me.

Anyway...thoughts and prayers going out to the Philippines.
    Last edited by kalli; 11th November 2013 at 09:57 AM.

Well, this little thread hasn't been so popular, but I'll see if I can get it going again, if just for an afternoon.

Alrighty then, I absolutely adore Carl Sagan, and I watch these inspirational videos every now and then when I need a quick CS fix. Some of y'all have seen these, I'm sure, but if not, enjoy ...heck, you'll enjoy them even if you have seen them. I love 'em more and more each time.

Quote Originally Posted by Curly11 View Post
    I remember this panel from a comic book I once read a zillion years ago!
    I remember it also.

Poor kids!
    Probably fake
    http://www.snopes.com/media/notnews/uglybaby.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    CNN carried this story on one segment of their show which is where I first saw it
    and many people in my company were talking about it the next day. Could still be as you said.

The artist Nina Katchadourian is creatiive on her flights. Don't want to tell more. Have a look!

summer means fireflys

I started a NFL group for anyone that wants to chat about football. All are invited, so please go over and check it out in the Groups area.

hednic, I couldn't send you a PM about it so this was the next best way!
    I've trademarked the color bleu