Code of Conduct

Default New Tauer PHI-une rose de Kandahar

Released/shipped in November, but Tauer is taking pre-orders now! FB's & samples.

In the announcement email:

"....The rose that I created inside PHI,........... is my interpretation of roses blooming in Afghanistan. A rich fruity apricot line, painted using natural apricot extract, softens the spicy rose petals. The glorious rose sits on a stem of dark woody tobacco, patchouli, musk. It plays with cinnamon and comes with a breeze of bitter almond."

"...Phi is a luxurious scent, inspired by a natural extract of roses produced in Afghanistan's rose region, Nangarhar. This rose oil is extremely rare and of highest quality........ rich in natural raw materials that add depth and authenticity.

HEAD NOTES: Phi starts with a rich fruity line of apricot. An all natural apricot extract with its surprising richness enchants and blends into a cinnamon line and hints of bitter almond, softened by bergamot essential oil.

HEART NOTES: These spices lead over to voluptuous roses in the fragrance heart: Extremely rare rose essential oil with its unique scent of spices, plums and flower petals blends into rose absolute from Bulgaria and hints of Bourbon geranium. The rose petals melt on the skin into a dark tobacco fond, built around an amazing absolute of dried tobacco leaves.

BODY NOTES: The animalic, leathery and woody tobacco opens the ground for a generously dosed layer of patchouli in the base of Phi. Here, woody and gourmand notes melt into hints of animalic lines. Vetiver, vanilla and tonka add richness and brilliance. A generous dose of exclusive musk and amber gris round the body of the fragrance and encircle the roses.

Sounds interesting and sample worthy.

Default Re: New Tauer PHI-une rose de Kandahar

It does, thanks for having alerted us (and the wallets!). That said, almost nothing from Andy works on this skin, some of them are pure disappointments.

This sounds like a beautiful fragrance. TFS

Basenotes Institution

I was reading Andy's blog about this new fragrance - sounds lush and gorgeous. I heard it's a limited edition - is this true ?
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

(Buying this certainly will get you noticed by NSA algorithms. **** them anyway.)

Apparently there is a limited supply of the particular rose oil used in this fragrance, so he can only produce as many bottles as he has ingredients for... hence the limited edition possibility.

Rose & tobacco leaves.

I don't recall this accord among other perfumes lines.

Anyone recall otherwise?

for swap/sale:

I’ve been trying out a sample for a few days and I have to say it is absolutely divine! I immediately ordered a full bottle.This is a very unique apricot rose scent.I’ve never smelled another rose like it and I have dozens of rose perfumes in my collection(including all of Tauer’s).The apricot absolute is very apparent on the first spritz.The bergamot adds some brightness but the inclusion of bitter almond is a stroke of genius.Combined with the apricot absolute it adds an oily and aromatic fattiness to the opening.Soon the rose notes make their entrance.The Bulgarian rose absolute is quite apparent and is melded seamlessly to the Rose de Kandahar which has a spicy fruity like nuance.The Bourbon Geranium adds a slight mentholated green note while the element of the oily fattiness persists.This is an absolutely gorgeous and unique rose fond.As the heart notes melt into the base the absolute of tobacco leaves appears and it is the finest quality blonde tobacco that I detect.Here I get a faint resemblance to Hermes Ambre Narguile with the spices and blonde tobacco but with the rose notes added(and without the stonking woody amber).The patchouli is there but never intrusive and the tonka,vetiver,musk,amber and vanilla finally appear with the ghost of the fruity rose persisting in the background.In the far drydown I detect a delicious fruity amber on my skin and just a whisper of the “Tauerade”.Une Rose de Kandahar has good sillage and great longevity(which is never a problem with the Tauers).All in all a spectacular fruity spicy rose with an interesting oily fattiness and a golden ambery drydown.A must try and an absolute must try for rose lovers.

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    I was reading Andy's blog about this new fragrance - sounds lush and gorgeous. I heard it's a limited edition - is this true ?
    Mimi - he posted this on the blog:

PHI, une rose de Kandahar, a scent scheduled for November, to appear in the COLLECTIBLES line, with samples and product ready for pre-ordering in a few days from now, is sort of limited in numbers for a while as I did only a limited batch. I mean, limited depends on whether perfume lovers will put their hands on. If not, then it is not limited at all. It is a Tauer exclusive until next year, with the exception of the UK, where I have an exclusivity agreement for PHI, meaning that you will be able to get it through my retailers there.

It sounds like he's made a limited amount for now, but I would assume that once the "exclusive" period ends, he will have to make more to ship to retailers elsewhere in the world.

However, on the product page, it says:

Due to the limited amount of the rose oil, une rose de Kandahar is not guaranteed to be available all the time.

What does that mean? I guess Kandahar produces a relatively small amount of rose oil annually, so he may sell out of PHI and not be able to make more.

Is this marketing? Who knows. I get the feeling that Andy is a pretty genuine guy and not one to fabricate a false impression of scarcity to generate hype.

I've pre-ordered samples (lemming after Hedonist) and if I fall for it, I won't waste time ordering a bottle, just to be on the safe side.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Really it`s almost mysterious - whenever I got to try one of Andy`s scents it was love on first sniff. I tried most of the scents and only have my problems with Reverie au Jardin which feels like a strange pale buttery version of Jicky. I think Andy does this rosey-fruity theme brilliantly. Think this might be my Christmas present I make myself
    Se son fiori fioriranno ...

I will order a sample as some of the ingredients in some past compositions have detracted from my enjoyment of them, which is obviously just down to my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by RVB View Post
    I’ve been trying out a sample for a few days and I have to say it is absolutely divine! I immediately ordered a full bottle.This is a very unique apricot rose scent.I’ve never smelled another rose like it and I have dozens of rose perfumes in my collection(including all of Tauer’s).The apricot absolute is very apparent on the first spritz.The bergamot adds some brightness but the inclusion of bitter almond is a stroke of genius.Combined with the apricot absolute it adds an oily and aromatic fattiness to the opening.Soon the rose notes make their entrance.The Bulgarian rose absolute is quite apparent and is melded seamlessly to the Rose de Kandahar which has a spicy fruity like nuance.The Bourbon Geranium adds a slight mentholated green note while the element of the oily fattiness persists.This is an absolutely gorgeous and unique rose fond.As the heart notes melt into the base the absolute of tobacco leaves appears and it is the finest quality blonde tobacco that I detect.Here I get a faint resemblance to Hermes Ambre Narguile with the spices and blonde tobacco but with the rose notes added(and without the stonking woody amber).The patchouli is there but never intrusive and the tonka,vetiver,musk,amber and vanilla finally appear with the ghost of the fruity rose persisting in the background.In the far drydown I detect a delicious fruity amber on my skin and just a whisper of the “Tauerade”.Une Rose de Kandahar has good sillage and great longevity(which is never a problem with the Tauers).All in all a spectacular fruity spicy rose with an interesting oily fattiness and a golden ambery drydown.A must try and an absolute must try for rose lovers.
    Interesting first post.

Jus sayin...

for swap/sale:

Quite the intensive, very descriptive review! Your assessment makes PHI sound even more lush and opulent than even Tauer penned!

Love apricot, but will not wear as a single note. The melding of apricot & rose sounds divine. Blond tobacco is usually a gentle note. My samples are on their way!

RVB: thanks for your impressions.

hedonist, I agree with your observations.( Looks like the poster either used to be a member on another board, or just writing their thoughts like a true insider would -- not what they smell, but what they want us to smell).

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    RVB: thanks for your impressions.

hedonist, I agree with your observations.( Looks like the poster either used to be a member on another board, or just writing their thoughts like a true insider would -- not what they smell, but what they want us to smell).
    True, otherwise it's a really good, albeit pragmatic, review.
    Looks like RVB is very familiar with writing reviews. Perhaps RVB could share his/her other reviews?

for swap/sale:

I'm pretty new to writing actual reviews.I've mainly just commented on other blogs such as Bois de Jasmin and NST etc.I've been an amateur perfumer for years and have an extensive collection of natural essential oils and absolutes and am just building a collection of aromachemicals so to dissect a scent into it's components is a hobby of mine.I've rarely been taken by a perfume initially as much as I was with Une Rose de Kandahar.Obviously it's all in the eye or better yet the nose of the beholder but I believe this one is a must try.I'm more than happy to answer any other queries about the scent to the best of my ability.As for another review here is a response I wrote to a review of The Different Company's Aurore Nomade on The Australian Perfume Junkies.It was another scent I was quite moved by.Cheers!

RVB says:
    May 23, 2013 at 4:06 pm
    Aurore Nomade is a spectacular fragrance and I think you’ve nailed it perfectly.It took just one sniff from a sample and I knew i had to have a bottle.Bertrand Duchafour seems to specialize in the weird and offbeat category of perfumes.He seems to be willing to take a risk and push the envelope by adding an element or a note to his perfumes that give them a challenging edge that if not seamlessly blended could result in an olfactory disaster.In Aurore Nomade I believe it’s the slightly rotting smell of fruit esters and indole in the background that permeate the scent.Combined with the humid veneer of tropical blossoms and the spicy element added by the cinnamon and rum notes it could be a hot mess.But add to that some aquatic notes and somehow it all works.It’s like a realistic scent impression of standing on the beach in the tropics with the intermingling smells of the tropical flowers,the beach,a distant jungle rot,and a refreshing tropical drink assaulting you all at once.It’s brilliant,it’s transporting and created a need in me for a category of perfume i didn’t realize existed.Thanks for the great review! On a side note I’m also enjoying Duchafour’s “Fusion Sacree Lui” for Majda Bekkali, kind of a masculine version of Prada’s “Candy” with a lush caramel-rum-cardamom-candy and tuberose theme.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    Apparently there is a limited supply of the particular rose oil used in this fragrance, so he can only produce as many bottles as he has ingredients for... hence the limited edition possibility.
    He has been writing on his blog about the development for some time. I ordered 2 samples today. Can't wait, am really curious about apricot, rose and mainly the tobacco tinge.
    https://www.tauerperfumes.com/blog/m...nd-a-question/
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

I have also put in for a sample set. I thought I may as well try some others as well.

Some more of my thoughts on Une Rose de Kandahar is response to a review on Kafkaesque.
    Fantastic review! I'm the RVB from Fragrantica that you quote about Phi being a very unique apricot rose scent.And indeed it is! That Robertet extract must be gorgeous.Like you I found the opening hour to be quite a sensorial feast and found myself wanting it to last but I think one of the genius elements of this perfume is the distinct phases it goes through.All the phases are fairly distinct for me but some of the notes interweave in and out and play a kind of hide and seek.It's fun to see what appears next.Sometimes it seems to change.I agree Phi can be worn by either a man or a woman.At the very first spritz I got a strong dose of the Bulgarian Damascena Rose and thought uh oh....this might be too feminine for me.(I'm a male and love rose perfumes and will wear many except the most overtly feminine ones).I usually find the Moroccan or Turkish rose type a little more unisex.But as soon as the apricot extract appeared and the other rose(I assume the Rose de Kandahar) joined in it changed.And combined with the benzaldehyde smell of the bitter almond it created an oily and fatty sweetness but a darker sweetness almost as if the skin of the apricot were included and it had been stewed with other dark fruits.Certainly when the tobacco makes it's entrance with the other base notes Phi is firmly in unisex territory.And it's a rich dry blonde tobacco that I detect not a dark smoky one.At this point as you noted the Iso E Super is apparent but I think it creates a holographic effect and is what enables the spices,fruits,tobacco,base notes and even the ghost of the rose to swirl together as the perfume breathes it's last breath.I enjoyed your observations and having spent a few days with Phi am looking forwards to experiencing it through the lens you've provided.Thanks!

Some more of my thoughts on Une Rose de Kandahar is response to a review on Kafkaesque.
    Fantastic review! I'm the RVB from Fragrantica that you quote about Phi being a very unique apricot rose scent.And indeed it is! That Robertet extract must be gorgeous.Like you I found the opening hour to be quite a sensorial feast and found myself wanting it to last but I think one of the genius elements of this perfume is the distinct phases it goes through.All the phases are fairly distinct for me but some of the notes interweave in and out and play a kind of hide and seek.It's fun to see what appears next.Sometimes it seems to change.I agree Phi can be worn by either a man or a woman.At the very first spritz I got a strong dose of the Bulgarian Damascena Rose and thought uh oh....this might be too feminine for me.(I'm a male and love rose perfumes and will wear many except the most overtly feminine ones).I usually find the Moroccan or Turkish rose type a little more unisex.But as soon as the apricot extract appeared and the other rose(I assume the Rose de Kandahar) joined in it changed.And combined with the benzaldehyde smell of the bitter almond it created an oily and fatty sweetness but a darker sweetness almost as if the skin of the apricot were included and it had been stewed with other dark fruits.Certainly when the tobacco makes it's entrance with the other base notes Phi is firmly in unisex territory.And it's a rich dry blonde tobacco that I detect not a dark smoky one.At this point as you noted the Iso E Super is apparent but I think it creates a holographic effect and is what enables the spices,fruits,tobacco,base notes and even the ghost of the rose to swirl together as the perfume breathes it's last breath.I enjoyed your observations and having spent a few days with Phi am looking forwards to experiencing it through the lens you've provided.Thanks!
    Tauer ought to hire you! Great review.

Thanks Danieq-it's really unique.Definitely worth a try

Has anyone else tried this one yet?

I'll do this again after I re-sample tomorrow. Faulty memory led to an inaccurate report. Apologies.
    Last edited by danieq; 22nd November 2013 at 04:14 AM.

Guerlainista

I'm full wearing my sample for the first time tonight.

My first impression when spraying it on wasn't great. I don't detect the rose in the opening at all. It's all dense sweet apricot, with a heliotrope-y almond adding a buttery creamy element. There's a hint of a tart fruity chypre feel, which is probably coming from the bergamot, but I don't read the bergamot directly.

It's nice, but too dense, a bit candied, with a sense of artificiality that some of the feminine Nicolais have. Just a bit heavy handed.

This sorts itself out in about an hour, when it gets smooth and luscious. At this point, I would just think this is a very nicely done, realistic fruity gourmand. An apricot macaron.

Then the rose starts to appear. It adds a perfumey character, like rosewater in a pastry. So now it's a rosewater apricot macaron. It's still beautiful, delicious really. But I wouldn't call this a rose perfume.

I'm about a 1 1/2 hours in now, and its still developing. Its getting dusty, powdery, with some hints of vanilla.

I like it a lot. I'll probably order a bottle after giving it a few more wears.
    Last edited by rubegon; 22nd November 2013 at 04:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    I'm full wearing my sample for the first time tonight.

My first impression when spraying it on wasn't great. I don't detect the rose in the opening at all. It's all dense sweet apricot, with a heliotrope-y almond adding a buttery creamy element. There's a hint of a tart fruity chypre feel, which is probably coming from the bergamot, but I don't read the bergamot directly.

It's nice, but too dense, a bit candied, with a sense of artificiality that some of the feminine Nicolais have. Just a bit heavy handed.

This sorts itself out in about an hour, when it gets smooth and luscious. At this point, I would just think this is a very nicely done, realistic fruity gourmand. An apricot macaron.

Then the rose starts to appear. It adds a perfumey character, like rosewater in a pastry. So now it's a rosewater apricot macaron. It's still beautiful, delicious really. But I wouldn't call this a rose perfume, really.

I'm about a 1 1/2 hours in now, and its still developing. Its getting dusty, powdery, with some hints of vanilla.

I like it a lot. I'll probably order a bottle after giving it a few more wears.
    I've come to realize Rubegon, that you do fantastic reviews. Thanks for sharing this one. It makes me realize I need to look again at the notes, I think I may have got a little confused between Une Rose Vermeille and Phi.

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    I've come to realize Rubegon, that you do fantastic reviews. Thanks for sharing this one. It makes me realize I need to look again at the notes, I think I may have got a little confused between Une Rose Vermeille and Phi.
    You're making me blush, danieq! I still feel like I'm stumbling around in the dark most of the time. :-)

I still have trouble identifying so many notes and picking apart accords, but I do feel like I'm learned a tremendous amount in the last couple of months. I feel like I'm still in the early stages of my journey in this though.

But thank you for the kind words. They made my day.

Thanks for the info., rubegon - sample ordering time again!

Hi Rubegon

tried this today and your description is excellent!

The only thing I wondered was if you detected the tobacco note.........which oddly I detected after about the hour...where I agree it is very smooth.

There is only one other rose I have tried with Tobacco which was from Greece and had saffron in in it as well. That had a stronger *rose* note.....and was beautiful as well.......but interesting how two roses with tobacco can smell so different!

regards

searoses
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

Guerlainista

The tobacco wasn't very obvious to me. I think that dusty quality that appeared 1-2 hours in is the effect of it.

In the drydown, that dusty (tobacco?) vanillic accord grew more prominent. It's nothing like the Tom Ford sledgehammer TV, though. It's soft and the tobacco gives it a dry herbal quality - not cloyingly sweet at all. It's close to the skin in the drydown. Longevity was greater than I expected. I woke up smelling it, and I was also surprised to see that gourmand apricot/almond accord lasted throughout. The drydown is very nice - comfort scent stuff.

If you somehow took off the rough opening and went straight into the heart, I could believe this is one of the Guerlain L'Art et la Matiere series, and a strong entry in that line.

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    The tobacco wasn't very obvious to me. I think that dusty quality that appeared 1-2 hours in is the effect of it.

In the drydown, that dusty (tobacco?) vanillic accord grew more prominent. It's nothing like the Tom Ford sledgehammer TV, though. It's soft and the tobacco gives it a dry herbal quality - not cloyingly sweet at all. It's close to the skin in the drydown. Longevity was greater than I expected. I woke up smelling it, and I was also surprised to see that gourmand apricot/almond accord lasted throughout. The drydown is very nice - comfort scent stuff.

If you somehow took off the rough opening and went straight into the heart, I could believe this is one of the Guerlain L'Art et la Matiere series, and a strong entry in that line.
    That's actually interesting, I don't mind tobacco in my fragrance (two years ago I probably would have run for the door at the thought, but I am much more experimental these days thank goodness).

Agree completely with the comparison to the TF which I don't mind.....but prefer on my fiancee.

As for the apricot/almond accord........with the rose this was, for me, exceptional. Probably because I can still smell it now and it is very different from anything else I have tried. Just a beautiful scent and yes comforting!
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

Argh! I'm starting to really love this, though I'll admit that the opening is not my favorite, but about 30 minutes in it becomes thick and a bit boozy, but not terribly sweet.

Opening is a handful.
    It starts out unapologetic.
    All notes radiating at maximum capacity.
    Bitter almond (no sweetness) and apricot made dusty by the tobacco leaves. A faint sparkle from the bergamot.
    The tonka balances the patchouli.
    No dainty frills.
    There's an overall austere mood to it.
    There's a strong correlation between it & Rahat Loukoum.
    I'm getting a likeness to that supple leather & plum accord in Boxeueses.
    But here it's supple leather & almond.
    I'm GLAD the rose isn't prominent at all.
    We all love roses but there are enough outstanding rose perfumes available.
    There is rose and I can tell its not the regular fluffy rose but its not rose centered.

Then an interplay of notes commences.
    Here is where Andy's craftsmanship in complexity is most vivid.

The premise is as such:
    A bonding of gourmand & noir (leathery resinous accord)

Composition :
    The apricot & almond create a marzipan accord. The gourmand aspect.

The tobacco (excessive use of) , geranium & musk make up the noir effect.

This demonstrates Andy's craftsmanship with complex compositions.

It opens with strong presence then harmoniously transitions to its peak purpose -interplay of gourmand & leathery/resinous (dark)- and then settles to a base that is the sum of all its parts.

I'd have named it Marzipan Noir.

for swap/sale:

No dainty frills? Darn, I was hopeful! (*kisses*, H.)

Really want to sniff this one out. One can never smell too many roses

Thanks, hedonist - pretty much my experience too.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    No dainty frills? Darn, I was hopeful! (*kisses*, H.)

{ Twolf }

Quote Originally Posted by lottalotta View Post
    Really want to sniff this one out. One can never smell too many roses
    Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Thanks, hedonist - pretty much my experience too.
    Thanks.

I do think this one is worth sniffing.

If not for the unusual rose then at least for the unusual take on gourmand.

for swap/sale:

It certainly struck me as more interesting than many 'rose' offerings, hedonist - and good value.

Hedonist depicted pretty much everything from it, I just want to add that I think this is technically very good, the rose here was just an excuse for Andy to make another great perfume. I am kind of impressed how the bitterness/sharpness from the almond and geranium can coexist with the fruity apricot and powdery tonka in such way; and in between we have the rose and cinnamon contrasting with the tobacco, vetiver and patchouli. It's quite heavy but there is a lot of air giving space to everything.

Brilliant.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

And they do appear to grow an awfully good rose in Nangarhar :)

Where is it being sold?

for swap/sale:

According to the Blog, December 8, 2013, it was obtained from a Swiss supplier

This sounds like a winner!

This.....my New Years gift...To ME.. coming next week to me!!!!thank you Lord!!!
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Basenotes Plus

LOL

You are funny! Congratsssss

Outstanding frag. One of Andy's best. I put this up there with Miriam and Carillon pour un Ange.

I've been testing this fragrance for the last couple of days.

First thought: Where is the apricot? I love apricot, and I was hoping that it would be more prominent, at least in the beginning. I don't sense it at all.

Second thought: This is a rose scent for people who don't like roses The rose is very subtle here, so subtle that I have to use my imagination to conjure it up. It is there only as a minor character in a story.

What I notice is immediately is the tobacco, and it is unfortunate (for me) because I don't really like tobacco notes. The almond is also strong from the very beginning.

So what is it if it's not a rose scent? At its heart, this is a very nicely restrained gourmand. I love the almond and Tonka bean combination, which is cozy and with just the right amount of sweetness. Too bad that the tobacco ruins it for me. PHI une rose de Kandahar is like the poor, but well-educated and stylish cousin of the opulent, showy Guerlain Tonka Imperiale. I would love to invite him/her to a fragrant cup of tea, to discuss a nice play or a book, but only if s/he would quit the smokes first....
    Last edited by catnip_too; 23rd December 2013 at 06:04 PM.

It's an awfully good bit of rose 'though - and the apricot isn't off-puttingly sticky & gooey, more amaretti to me.
    Last edited by lpp; 26th December 2013 at 11:26 PM.

Actually, having been wearing the sample yet again this evening have just bought one, despite being a bit fussy about 'rose' scents.
    Last edited by lpp; 27th December 2013 at 05:59 PM.

Just noting that this is currently sold out at source in full bottle form.
    Last edited by lpp; 1st February 2014 at 09:48 AM.

Guerlainista

Damn! I thought he was bluffing.

Rubegon, someone was selling one in the marketplace if you want one.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge