Code of Conduct
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default A note on objections

There seems to be a little confusion regarding the objection button so I would just like to explain a little more here.

Basically the objection button is self-moderation. It is for those who think a post is abusive, in very bad taste, off-topic or troll-like in nature. It is designed so that one does not have to get into a war of words concerning such posts and does not invite criticism for speaking up.

The anonymity is important for a number of reasons. Firstly if a member considered a post to be verging on the homophobic or anti-religious with a poor taste joke they may wish to protect themselves from any potential revelations about their personal lives or political/religious/sexual preferences. This is a major concern for many people who come to internet forums to enjoy the freedom and control of information sharing that brings.

In-fighting is often an issue when people feel that someone has objected to their post. We have seen enough of that over the last eleven years and will no doubt see more of it in the future. However not allowing the posters to lock horns by keeping objections anonymous should reduce this.

Also as to receiving objections - it is important not to take to them to heart if your post is innocuous and unassuming. The multitude of view points on here make it inevitable that you will be disagreed with or misunderstood with a fair bit of regularity! If you are receiving lots of objections for a variety of posts perhaps have a look at your language and content. Certainly there have been a few complaints recently regarding a certain tone and level of "uncouth" humour in some posts. This is part of the reason for the objection button.

Just so you know, whilst I may like posts I will never object to them.

Any questions please PM me or reply here.

Default Re: A note on objections

Thanks for clarifying, Danielle.

Anonymity my arse!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    Anonymity my arse!
    Thanks to stuigi and jivehippo for objecting to my fruity English vernacular and proving my point in the process!

No problem marais, I'm sure you realize that my objection to your post was meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

Danielle - if the object button is only meant for offensive, and troll-like posts, then what is the like button supposed to be used for? I thought the object button was to be used for any post which you object to, offensive or not? If a post is offensive, or spammy, I repost it using the "report post" function.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Danielle - if the object button is only meant for offensive, and troll-like posts, then what is the like button supposed to be used for? I thought the object button was to be used for any post which you object to, offensive or not? If a post is offensive, or spammy, I repost it using the "report post" function.
    I'm approaching the "like" button for posts that add stuff of value, contribute to the site, and are generally helpful/thoughtful. The objection button is, I think, less about stuff you disagree with personally and more about stuff that drags the site down in one form or another (trolling, nastiness, generally unhelpful posts). Obviously, there are a lot of grey areas and what's objectionable isn't very objective, but it's more of a way for the general community to shape itself in an organic, malleable manner. Anything overtly problematic, flag it and we'll jump on, but aside from that, I'd say use it wisely and save it for posts that bum the place out.

Yes, lots of grey areas indeed DI. Also, as marais has illustrated above, it's rather easy to identify who has objected to your post. If the objections are to be truly anonymous, the notifications on ones profile must cease.

Yes, lots of grey areas indeed DI. Also, as marais has illustrated above, it's rather easy to identify who has objected to your post. If the objections are to be truly anonymous, the notifications on ones profile must cease.
    Absolutely right. It's been addressed, but I think what we've seen so far is an example of people using it to just disagree with one another, so it's a bit obvious who's doing what. We do need to fix the backend, but in the meantime, it's helpful to hash out exactly where it'd be needed and useful. Let's see how it goes.

P.S. I think I got one of the first objections on the site

It's a work in progress then. Lol, I've had quite a few as well, but no skin off my back. In the words of Honest Abe "You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time"

Edit: ooooh 3 mod likes. Should I feel special?
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 8th November 2013 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Gloating

Blog Entries

I'm just going to have to see how these objection buttons go. Watching posts that I like get down-voted is really annoying. I didn't expect that it would happen here as much as it has, or that so many of the objections would seem to be so inscrutable or unreasoned.

*SIGH*. Something is really bothering me about them. I think the net effect has to be that they discourage the posting of independent thought. Maybe that's what is bothering me.

Basenotes Plus

There is a thread here with instructions on turning off the Post Thanks display on our post bits (& the notifications).
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...on-t-like-them
    If there are any further queries on that aspect, please post in that thread.
    Last edited by lpp; 8th November 2013 at 10:10 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I'm just going to have to see how these objection buttons go. Watching posts that I like get down-voted is really annoying. I didn't expect that it would happen here as much as it has, or that so many of the objections would seem to be so inscrutable or unreasoned.

*SIGH*. Something is really bothering me about them. I think the net effect has to be that they discourage the posting of independent thought. Maybe that's what is bothering me.
    I think they are going to have a dampening effect on morale as well. I too have noticed posts that receive objections for no reason that is apparent to me.

Some posters may see their 'objections' as 'badges of honour' and actually strive for them --- like Asbos

Blog Entries

Okay, I had to look up ASBOs to see what the term refers to.
    For others not from the UK, that's Anti-Social Behavior Orders, and by extension, certain types of people, per the Urban Dictionary.)

Basenotes Junkie

so wait, if you object to a post, the poster gets a notification of who objected to it?

Basenotes Plus

Objections are anonymous, no email is sent.

Blog Entries

But if you suspect you know who objected and look at their profile, you will see "hidden content objected to X post" and if that is your post, then you know.

I disabled my notifications. Less information is better for me.

We used to have a Thanks button but some felt it turned into a popularity contest, and, as I recall, it turned out to be some sort of plug-in that opened the way to hackers, so it was gotten rid of. Presumably the present Like/Object system does not create a vulnerability for hacking, but it can still be used hurtfully, so I hope people will think twice before objecting.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Absolutely right. It's been addressed, but I think what we've seen so far is an example of people using it to just disagree with one another, so it's a bit obvious who's doing what. We do need to fix the backend, but in the meantime, it's helpful to hash out exactly where it'd be needed and useful. Let's see how it goes.

P.S. I think I got one of the first objections on the site
    Please see this earlier post.

Ah, I should have read all the news threads before replying to the other one slightly off topic. :P However, i'm glad i'm not the only one viewing objections, and their publicly private nature, in a negative light.

Reposting with slight changes:

In regards to the "thumbs down", I see a couple problems. Objections should not be shown. Period. Those people for whom this system is designed to repress more often than not crave attention. Collecting publicly visible objections is a great form of attention since it draws the eye of viewers curious to see what objectionable content warranted a downvote. Kaern's "badge of honor" remark is spot on as well. I see absolutely no reason to show objection counts, and many reasons to hide them.

In addition, the title of the button is misleading, leading to much confusion as I look over the feedback on the new forum for the first time. If the intent is to provide a form of self moderation of objectionable content it shouldn't be worded in a way that one could interpret it as a "I disagree with this post" button. Given the choice of taking time to voice ones disagreement and quickly pressing a button that looks like would be basically the same thing, well, I foresee the button being mistakenly misused. Imho the button's purpose should be self evident, which it clearly is not at this point, rather than something that has required a site-wide post by the admins to define it for the 443 (as of right now) people who have bothered to view this thread.

My suggestion is to reword it: "Objectionable Content". A subtle difference but I think it would convey the button's meaning much better.
    (\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (='.'=) signature to help him gain world domination.
    (")_(")

An anonymous 'Object' has all the finesse of coining someone's car in the middle of the night - it's an an invitation for jealous and petty minded cowards to 'get back at someone' without having to take responsibility for their attack.

If someone seriously objects to a post because it is abusive, rascist, homophobic of whatever they should inform the moderators.

Sorry - I just can't see any upside to this function.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Sorry - I just can't see any upside to this function.
    Nor me. I hereby christen this function 'The Sneaks' Button'. It is best ignored I think. Object away, cowardly snivellers!

Wow. Here I was naively thinking this wouldn't be a real issue - probably because I hadn't noticed any objections. Buy can I clarify - is there a consequence if you get too many objections? Do you get warned and then banned because of them? If the answer is yes, then it seems like a sub-optimal solution. If no, then what's the point of doing it?

Of course, we might also ask what's the point of getting upset over it, but then it certainly does seem like this will quickly devolve into a tool for snipers who don't want to make rational conversation.

Blog Entries

Danielle has explained before that the member with a lot of objections does not get banned.

The consequence is that ***"the objectionable content" = that particular post*** is then "hidden from view". Does that stop the conversation flow short? Not really. Who has something to say, will say it.

As I have said in a neighbor thread, I vote for discontinuing the method of Like/Object buttons. The Notifications fill up the Profile. Wild guesses here, spot checks "Whoduneit?" there ... ridiculous.

We could spend our time better by just simply discussing things politely.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    We could spend our time better by just simply discussing things politely.
    Agree. Unfortunately not everyone adheres to that.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

As regular posters will be aware - there have been many less than optimal posts around the boards here and members have genuinely been affected by some of them, particularly those with racist, sexist, and homophobic content but there has also been quite a bit of general disrespect shown to other members.

I can't and don't speak for management - but as a member here I certainly support their efforts to improve the quality of conversation.

If members were universally self-regulating in their exchanges this would not be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    As regular posters will be aware - there have been many less than optimal posts around the boards here and members have genuinely been affected by some of them, particularly those with racist, sexist, and homophobic content but there has also been quite a bit of general disrespect shown to other members.

I can't and don't speak for management - but as a member here I certainly support their efforts to improve the quality of conversation.

If members were universally self-regulating in their exchanges this would not be an issue.
    Well stated. (282)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I've gone quiet as Grant and I are back to the drawing board on this for the time being. We still want the button to be an opportunity to self regulate, but we need to see how best to implement it. The point is beautifully explained by lpp above. People complained about these posts in vast numbers and we needed to give them a voice on the boards. We are re-working it at a meeting tonight and I will get back to you asap. Your feedback, as always, has been invaluable.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Well stated. (282)
    @ hednic - what do these numbers mean? (282) ???

@ Management - nobody seems to miss the Like/Objection feature now that it gone for a few days. There was fuss when they were there, now it is normal and quiet. If someone misbehaves, he/she will show like a "sore thumb".

@ hednic - what do these numbers mean? (282) ???".
    I've wondered too - guess it might be his new post count from the time BN version changed??

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleCooper View Post
    I've gone quiet as Grant and I are back to the drawing board on this for the time being. We still want the button to be an opportunity to self regulate, but we need to see how best to implement it. The point is beautifully explained by lpp above. People complained about these posts in vast numbers and we needed to give them a voice on the boards. We are re-working it at a meeting tonight and I will get back to you asap. Your feedback, as always, has been invaluable.
    Thank you, Danielle!

Basenotes Junkie

What's the problem with simply using the existing "report" button? Never really saw much of a difference berween the purpose of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy-j View Post
    What's the problem with simply using the existing "report" button? Never really saw much of a difference berween the purpose of the two.
    If I understood the explanation correctly, the dislike button is for self-regulation; if a post gets enough dislikes, it is automatically hidden without intervention from the moderators.

The report posts button requires a moderator to actively investigate and weigh the seriousness of the alleged infraction, then possibly consult with other moderators about a possible action. It is more work for the staff.

Regarding abuse of the dislike button, I imagine that the idea is to set the threshold high enough that a troll or two can't make a member's post disappear; it would take a fairly broadly offensive post to trigger enough dislikes.

I'm not a mod here, obviously, but I have been a mod on other boards and this is what I think the intention was. Staff, please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Basenotes Plus

That's pretty much my understanding too, zatarain.

@Ursula - there seems to be plenty of less than optimal behaviour from where I'm sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    If I understood the explanation correctly, the dislike button is for self-regulation; if a post gets enough dislikes, it is automatically hidden without intervention from the moderators.
    Yeah the problem is that that isn't self-regulation. Self-regulation is when people are careful in considering what they post or don't post themselves. That would be the ideal.

Barring that, I don't like the idea that a few people can gang up on a post (or most likely a poster) and thus prevent me from reading something. If something is truly wrong and offensive, there are ways of getting rid of it already. Why not just use those?

Apologies if I'm missing something; I tend to be selective about the posts that I read, so maybe I'm not seeing the extent of the problem.

(and zatarain: I love the signature at the bottom of your post - it's one of my favorite books )

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post

The report posts button requires a moderator to actively investigate and weigh the seriousness of the alleged infraction, then possibly consult with other moderators about a possible action. It is more work for the staff.

Regarding abuse of the dislike button, I imagine that the idea is to set the threshold high enough that a troll or two can't make a member's post disappear; it would take a fairly broadly offensive post to trigger enough dislikes.

I'm not a mod here, obviously, but I have been a mod on other boards and this is what I think the intention was. Staff, please correct me if I'm wrong.
    refering to it as a "dislike" button is part of the problem. There is a vast difference between disliking a post and objecting to the content of a post. I think if more people understood this, it would work as intendedl

Blog Entries

If we must have it, perhaps the button could be called "Objectionable Content."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    If we must have it, perhaps the button could be called "Objectionable Content."
    There would still be members going to town just for the sake of mischief. The anonymity invites trolling and mobbing.

The disagreement should be openly voiced in the next post, quoting the previous post.

If, and when, the discussion gets too heated, moderators can always mitigate the flow and keep things under control.

If one gives away too much control to the crowd, one loses control, and the whole thing will be one big mess.

I don't think the deletions were made automatically before. Some posts remained that had a half dozen or more objections. I posted a thread (it spoke of the opening of a museum exhibit in Washington DC titled Anchorman: The Exhibit and I'm guessing it was viewed as off topic) and it was deleted after two objections. This makes me think the process wasn't automatic at all and the mob wasn't ruling.

The "report post" button has always been a means to express a perceived need for moderation of some sort in a way that was relatively anonymous. I don't understand how adding to that helps Basenotes.

I like to think I understand the intent of the thumbs system, but presuming that it will be used as intended is not a good idea.

In my work, I have relied on the proven efficacy of positive reinforcement as a means of modifying behavior. If the goal of trolls is attention, rewarding the desired replacement behavior (great posts) may be more effective than awarding a thumbs-down (attention). Maybe some kind of gold star can be awarded for posts that receive a certain number of kudos from members

Blog Entries

Positive reinforcement. Yes. It works well in schools.
    But we are here neither in a school setting nor in a work setting. To me this is a party setting. Learn and have fun. So, if some trolls spoil the party, they can be controlled with the Report button, like it was done before.

Maybe a "gold star" for a lot of Likes is a good idea. Plus a List could be displayed of who has "gold stars" and how many.

(Over at Parfumo, there is a List of the 100 most active users, according to how many points they have garnered. Parfumo points are earned by actively participating, like submitting new perfumes for the databank, submitting photos of perfume bottles, writing reviews, writing blog articles, participating in forum discussions. Positive reinforcement, yes it works.)

Positive reinforcement. Yes. It works well in schools.
    But we are here neither in a school setting nor in a work setting ... Positive reinforcement, yes it works.)
    Well then, alrighty, I think.

Blog Entries

That sounds a bit like a popularity contest to me. l think l'd rather do away with the like/object buttons, & use the report button as before.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    That sounds a bit like a popularity contest to me. l think l'd rather do away with the like/object buttons, & use the report button as before.
    Also think the report button would do just fine by itself.

I also think the report button is all that's needed. The object button leaves too much for interpretation and feels too casual. It's so easy to press, whether seriously or in jest. If the purpose is really to flag or eliminate truly objectionable content, the report button is all that's needed.

As far as the "thumbs up" is concerned, I think it's good to have. It eliminates the need to respond "+1" or "This" in threads which are seeking recommendations or advice. A thumbs down option is not necessary, as it would basically be the same thing as an object button--just a reason to anonymously say "I don't like you and your post."

Agree. I don't want to submit photos of perfume bottles and have people's status determined by stuff like that. And what's the point of a list like Parfumo's "most active users?" What does it mean practically? Prolific posting doesn't necessarily mean helpful or interesting posting, and conversely, some people who don't post often are interesting to read. But because my idea of interesting and helpful may not be the same as anyone else's (and because some people really aren't interested in being interesting or helpful), I don't see the point in giving us more tools to rate or censor posts.

We sure had a lot of discussion about this type of stuff soon after the move to Huddler, I remember. Again, I don't envy the job of the moderators.

I agree. The object button seems far too abritrary. I'd much rather rely on a real human being to oversee any potentially offensive posts (sorry, mods!).

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post

As far as the "thumbs up" is concerned, I think it's good to have. It eliminates the need to respond "+1" or "This" in threads which are seeking recommendations or advice. A thumbs down option is not necessary, as it would basically be the same thing as an object button--just a reason to anonymously say "I don't like you and your post."
    I am neither + nor - on the object button. Yes, it will be abused by some, but trolls will be trolls with whatever tools you give them. I don't see it upsetting the conversation too much. I've been on other forums that had "negative reputation", and with comments, and I've saved some of the insults people threw at me; some of them are funny, others weren't, but ultimately it didn't drive me away or turn bloody.

I agree that the Like or + rep button is good, for the reasons stated; sometimes I want to let a poster know that I like what they said, but I don't have anything to add. No need to bump a thread and trigger people's subscription notifications to say "me, too", but I like to let someone know when I like their post.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Basenotes Institution

My take is - the report button alone is fine.
    I just think that the Dislike / Like buttons can be misused as has been said before- to gang up on a person or on a post .
    I'm sorry ..... my faith in some humans - online - is not that great. The Like/ Dislke option could just become a form of 'flaming' .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I'm in agreement with Mimi and others. I would like to see the Object Button stay gone.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Lots of posts so I'll summarise my thoughts rather than quoting each bit.

In terms of positive reinforcement, yes we feel that is a great way to encourage solid contributions - the like button was going to facilitate that.

The like button was also intended to eliminate the +1 posts as mentioned. Bumping that doesn't further the conversation is not conducive to good flow of conversation on a community such as this.

The objection button was for posts that were not directly so horrendous as to report them for their vulgarity. It was for posts that the individual felt were tasteless/troll-like in nature. I don't want a community wherein the mods have to step in and "police" every single comment that offends SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE. This was a way to direct the flow of conversation, making it different from the report button which is for breaches of the Code of Conduct and real hardcore, unwanted posts. I like the idea of calling it something to make it clearer what its intended use is... Still evaluating your feedback... Still at the drawing board...

The objection button was for posts that were not directly so horrendous as to report them for their vulgarity. It was for posts that the individual felt were tasteless/troll-like in nature. I don't want a community wherein the mods have to step in and "police" every single comment that offends SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE. This was a way to direct the flow of conversation, making it different from the report button which is for breaches of the Code of Conduct and real hardcore, unwanted posts.
    Hello Danielle. It must be very hard to make a judgment on this one, so thanks for considering everyone's comments so carefully.

All I would add is that SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE is almost always going to be offended, but this should not necessarily be a reason to suppress a post. As I see it, it's the mods' task to make an objective assessment as to whether an individual post is objectively inappropriate. There are existing guidelines to cover this, I presume, and existing means by which to report and discourage inappropriate comments (the Report Post button, mods warning posters in the thread itself). What I fear is that a further tool - the objection button - will only have the effect of censoring free speech. It really is open to misuse.

An anonymous down vote will possibly attract as many trolls as it repels. Why not remove anonymity from the thumbs down button? Then we can identify and discount habitual users. Also, providing selectable options for the thumbs-down might be useful (objectionable content, does not add to the discussion, advertising, in wrong forum etc). Alternatively, it might be possible to add a free-text comment, expanding on the reason (Huddler had something like this).

Thanks, Danielle. Good luck with it all.

Are "+1" posts really a problem?

Like/Dislike buttons, if they exist at all, should be called Like/Dislike, because that's exactly what it means. And a Dislike button should not have the effect of censorsip. Otherwise, I'm not really bothered about whether we have them or not.

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    Hello Danielle. It must be very hard to make a judgment on this one, so thanks for considering everyone's comments so carefully.

All I would add is that SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE is almost always going to be offended, but this should not necessarily be a reason to suppress a post. As I see it, it's the mods' task to make an objective assessment as to whether an individual post is objectively inappropriate.
    Thank you saminlondon. I couldn't agree more! I am very much of the opinion that you can't please all of the people all of the time. The idea was that if SOMEONE turns into some people, it is reasonable to consider it. The mods make a judgement as an individual person and are often on the receiving end of criticism. I wanted to see if we could give some control, and therefore responsibility, for these judgements to the users.

Hi Marais, I actually like these ideas in terms of expanding the button with options. Something to think about, thank you.

Hello Kagey, yes the +1 comments are a real block to the flow of conversation. I have had so many complaints and actually have to say I agree.

in my opinion, a 'like' button is nice, but ultimately useless. But since it's a positive pat on the back, it does no harm. An object button leaves a bad taste in my mouth. If someone has a problem with whatsomeone said, bring it up to a moderator with the long existing 'report a post' button, and let them "moderate".

Blog Entries

For a while now, there are no Like or Objection buttons, as they are being temporarily suspended.

Why not leave it like that, and if and when, more controls become necessary, only then bring them back.

Nobody seems to actually miss them now.

I like 'Like' - it's a quick +1 endorsement.

Please just make 'Object' accountable, name attached, just like the 'Like' button.

Simple.

For a while now, there are no Like or Objection buttons, as they are being temporarily suspended.

Why not leave it like that, and if and when, more controls become necessary, only then bring them back.

I think this is a good suggestion. People seem to be more interested in getting other features returned that are missing.

Hello Kagey, yes the +1 comments are a real block to the flow of conversation. I have had so many complaints and actually have to say I agree.
    That's fair. I didn't realize that. Thanks for clarifying!

How do I object to this thread ?

Several people have asked for the Like button to be restored, or said they think it is useful, in this thread.

Blog Entries

In this thread we get the input via conversation/suggestions - how about a POLL ?

+ Reply to Thread