Code of Conduct
+ Reply to Thread

Default A note on page loading times

Just to let you know Grant had a meeting today and we are having a server revamp at the weekend for a few more pennies a month to increase speed of the site.

Please bear with us and we will hopefully be leaving dust clouds everywhere by the end of the weekend, to replace the tumble weeds rolling across the slow loading pages...

My experience btw is that the site is pretty good on Safari but very slow on Firefox. So might be worth fiddling with your browser choice if you have that option.

Default Re: A note on page loading times

Thanks for the info., Danielle - Safari is fine for me too.

That sounds great! The slowest thing I've noted was the Fragrance Directory.

Blog Entries

Thanks, Danielle. Google Chrome working just fine here.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Thanks for the feedback guys

Seems pretty good on Firefox too, at least that's my experience.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Google Chrome user here as well and so far nothing major...

Blog Entries

Internet Explorer works fine for me. The pages don't load exactly FAST, but much better than before the "return home".
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Thanks, Danielle, for the update. Looking forward to the server revamp, thanks for that.

My experience, across multiple browsers on Win and Mac machines, is that the site is slower than the Huddler site but faster than the pre-Huddler vBulletin site. I think a speed boost will be helpful.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Oooh, it does seem pretty slow as of late and I use Firefox. I keep thinking, is it going to time out again? It hasn't yet since the switch back though.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Hmm....I'm on Safari all the time. Maybe that's why I have had no significant speed issues.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Angelique Encens, Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerutti) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...ns-L-deCerruti

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Angelique Encens, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerutti) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

It seems okay for me on Firefox, although the SOTD area is quite slow.

Have to say that SOTD page has been quite slow these past two days...

Basenotes Plus

I'm on Internet Explorer - maybe a tad slower than Huddler but not enough to warrant complaint. Any speed boost will still be appreciated, though.

I'm using Opera and the hesitation right before load is more than I'm used to with forums in general, even large ones. But once it pops on the screen it's all there. This is much better than my experience on Huddler.

Speed is being worked on and should improve soon guys!
    Thanks for your patience.

In the last 24 hours I have noticed a substantial increase in page loading times, at least through using Firefox.
    (300)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

The weekend isn't over yet but yesterday it took 24 seconds to open my wardrobe. This morning it took 21 seconds. When I opened it yesterday, it was later in the day and there were 109 members online. It's still early here and there are 82 members online. Possibly there is less demand at this moment?

Sounds like the server(s) is/are not the problem. But upgrades are always a good thing.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    The weekend isn't over yet but yesterday it took 24 seconds to open my wardrobe. This morning it took 21 seconds. When I opened it yesterday, it was later in the day and there were 109 members online. It's still early here and there are 82 members online. Possibly there is less demand at this moment?
    Those times sound like what deadidol is getting in California. At least this thing is consistent. But that is pretty amazingly slow.

I'll try timing my stuff as well. Could be interesting.

EDIT: I got around 12 seconds to fully open my wardrobe.

Heh! The site won't even load at all for me this morning; it hangs for about a minute and then just gives up. I've pretty much just been using this one iPhone app since the switch over.

My wardrobe just loaded in less than three seconds - slightly faster today over here.

On the iPhone app, it takes about 20-30 seconds to load a page, but that seems much faster than the actual website itself.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Heh! The site won't even load at all for me this morning; it hangs for about a minute and then just gives up. I've pretty much just been using this one iPhone app since the switch over.
    THAT is pretty odd - but it is FULLY consistent with my experience. I find that Tapatalk is terrible for typing out long responses, but it's great for seeing something quickly.

I suspect that this is due to something requiring multiple trips to the server, and that it's magnifying some effect based on hop count.

I just ran traceroute on BN using this command in my terminal window on my Mac (it's in the Utilities):

traceroute 176.56.58.233

That showed 19 steps. Or by number of lines:

traceroute 176.56.58.233 | wc -l

That showed 29 lines.

This will work for anybody with a Mac, and should work in a DOS window, too. Curious what other people are seeing for these commands.

Default A note on page loading times

The iPhone app is still pretty slow (15-20 seconds per page, I'd say), but it's faster than the actual site. Yes, writing anything substantial is out of the question.

As far as that other stuff goes, if the site comes back up on my end (it's completely down right now), I'll try and run some tests.

9 steps & 15 lines for me just now, Red.

I've never traced a route before but googled what to do with my PC. I got this when I entered the commands PING and TRACERT:

ScreenHunter_272 Nov. 10 10.54.jpg

I have no clue what it means.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 10th November 2013 at 06:07 PM.

Socalwoman, have you had access problems today at all? The site simply won't load for me today, and tapatalk access is averaging 20-30 seconds to load a page. I've tried two locations from two different access points, and got the same result, so I figured the West Coast was being throttled.

It's been varying quite a bit for me today. I opened my wardrobe a few minutes ago in just under 20 seconds. That's faster than when I did it at 6:00 am PST and there's more people using the site now. Getting to the home page is much slower than accessing the forum and moving from page to page within it. But, like I said, it varies. There have been times today when going from one page to another in the forum took forever.

I'm on an old PC with Vista, using Aurora as my browser.

The front page won't load: http://www.basenotes.net, I just get a blank page, and it's been like that all day. I get around it by entering this address: http://www.basenotes.net/content.php, that's how I can get into the site.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Are you using an old link from Huddler days, furrypine?

The forum main page is
    http://www.basenotes.net/forum.php
    if that's faster?

Edit - clicking on the green 'home' bottle doesn't work for me either, although it did before.
    http://www.basenotes.net
    Maybe it's to do with the work being done at the moment?

I get a white page for basenotes.net too. The "Articles" tab takes me here: http://www.basenotes.net/content/ and the "Latest" and "Features" links work...slowly. There's no longer a note from Grant about the move available anywhere I can see though.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 10th November 2013 at 06:49 PM.

White page for me as well. Tapatalk my only option for now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Yeah, I'm pretty much locked out right now too, Zatarain. Even Tapatalk is barely functioning though -- 23 seconds to access this page.

Does this link no longer work for you guys?

lpp, it just hangs when trying to load. The site must be absolutely inundated today or something.

Maybe BasenotesDude is doing some work, D.I. - it's actually faster for me today, which is not really any help to you at all...
    It may be connected to the server re-vamp mentioned in Danielle's original post?

I recommend to optimize the website / web server configuration before upgrading the server. There are many things which can be optimized easily, e.g. enable compression (https://developers.google.com/speed/...bleCompression) and enable browser caching. This would reduce the server load dramatically!

Any California people able to access the site via a browser yet? I'm still in white page land.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Does this link no longer work for you guys?
    Ah, that works, thanks lpp!

Thanks for letting us know, zatarain - how is the load time now?

The extra server will be available to us tomorrow. Later than I expected sorry. I've no idea where the front page has done, Ive asked my hosts about it. Sorry

More baseline data from California:

It's fairly early here still (6:10 am PST), and there are 93 registered users at this moment.

I can get from page to page okay - it takes 2-5 seconds.

Opening my wardrobe took 19 seconds. I'm wondering if wardrobe size is a factor?

Front page is still all white.

The front page just loaded fine here, from the bottle symbol, socalwoman.
    http://www.basenotes.net/content/

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    More baseline data from California:

It's fairly early here still (6:10 am PST), and there are 93 registered users at this moment.

I can get from page to page okay - it takes 2-5 seconds.

Opening my wardrobe took 19 seconds. I'm wondering if wardrobe size is a factor?

Front page is still all white.

The front page was white again, but I've fixed that now.

The wardrobe pages need optimising a bit better, as the more you have, the longer it takes to load, so I need to look into that

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    The front page was white again, but I've fixed that now.

The wardrobe pages need optimising a bit better, as the more you have, the longer it takes to load, so I need to look into that
    Many thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Thanks for letting us know, zatarain - how is the load time now?
    Sorry for the delayed response! I don't see much improvement in load time, tbh, but I wasn't experiencing the 20+ second times others were reporting. It's a little laggy but not horrendous.

Confirming that the "white page" problem is fixed.

I'm not clear on if we have moved to the new server yet?

New server should be tomorrow pm (UK time). Despite that, the site is really fast for me today.

Thanks Judith!

Still a little slow for me on Safari, but I'm used to it, I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by taint it sweet View Post
    Still a little slow for me on Safari, but I'm used to it, I guess...
    I suppose its a tad bit quicker after this "server change" that took place. Although it could just be my imagination. Its definitely not as fast as huddler site, and still not up to par with your average modern website even.

i'm sure there will be 10 people that respond "its blazing fast for me" now. So i guess we should just accept it and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    I suppose its a tad bit quicker after this "server change" that took place. Although it could just be my imagination. Its definitely not as fast as huddler site, and still not up to par with your average modern website even.

i'm sure there will be 10 people that respond "its blazing fast for me" now. So i guess we should just accept it and move on.
    I agree with most of this; it's a wee bit faster since the server upgrade, still not as fast as the huddler site and many other forums, even other vBulletin forums.

Guerlainista

The site has been pretty fast for me lately, here in the middle of the US.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Site running slow? very slow in the NE
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world, the unreasonable man adapts the world to himself, therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." "Shaw"

On and off today I have also noticed it lagging at times.

Thank you both, I will pass this on

I've been experiencing slow page loads and occasional "server stopped responding" errors for the past three or for days.

Slow page loads happening here this morning.

same here..slow..slow...

It may be when site alterations are being done.

In the old days prior to Huddler, there was a "lagging pattern" that always seemed to happen around 10AM EDT & 10PM EDT. For me it seems to be happening around the same times again. Could this be times GMT when databases are updated or when site alterations take place?

+ Reply to Thread