Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: If you had to choose only one of these to own/wear, which would you choose?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

14 53.85%
  • 1740 Marquis de Sade by Histoires de Parfums

12 46.15%

Default Which Would You Go With and Why? A or B?

I'm at an impasse, but I don't want to leave a decision to a coin toss. I'm looking at purchasing a bottle either of Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille or of 1740 Marquis de Sade by Histoires de Parfums. I'm not looking to buy both, just one. I love them equally.

Which of these two would you go with and why? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Much appreciated!

Pinnacos

Default Re: Which Would You Go With and Why? A or B?

Scent - 1740 easily over TV
    however:
    Overall value - TV - bcoz 1 spray will be enough, so a 50ml should last a few yrs.

I got poor longevity out of 1740.

1740 Marquis de Sade by Histoires de Parfums by far.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

1740 for me. The combination of leather and immortelle is warm, enveloping, and luscious, and more striking than the excellent, but less unique, TV.

The one I have lasts forever on me (as immortelle should), but I've heard also from other people that certain batches are lighter. But I do not know how to distinguish them.

cacio

1740 Marquis de Sade by Histoires de Parfums.

It is simply the better composed & blended composition.

I do not like immortelle myself but can recognize a well blended and composed perfume.

The transition between notes and accords is excellent.

for swap/sale:

Easily 1740 Marquis de Sade I can't add anything more than what everyone else has stated above. In my top five from a very impressive house.

Tobacco Vanille. I have worn 1740 several times and do respect the blend, but it is not as much to my taste. TV is warm, spicy, sweet winter goodness.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud Musk______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire

A few months ago I would've said TV, but the last few times I've worn it, it's gotten on my nerves. It's so strong and linear, and as one member put it, smells like a vanilla scented candle. 1740 is a better composed perfume.

I own a full bottle of TV and have a large sample/decant of 1740. I like both, but I think TV has much better performance. I really didn't like 1740 at first, but it's really growing on me. In fact, it's on my "to buy" list. Both are fantastic for the cold weather, so I don't think you can go wrong with either. I do think that 1740 is of a higher quality.

1740 for sure. TV gets a lot of love here but even though I have sampled it many times in the last couple of years it just does not click with me. Very linear. 1740 is a well composed scent that suits me a lot more.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

!

TV.

Sampled MdS within the last 6 months and did not care for the immortelle.

I like the smell of TV and use it mostly in small amounts on cap bills, jacket liners/hems, belts, pant legs, socks, etc. Perhaps a bit contradictory, I like the smell but don't care to smell of it, if you get my drift. So, it's not a versatile wear yet I'm glad I have it, don't want to be without it, and the bottle will likely last forever. Go figure.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

I own 1740 and enjoy it - it's one I come back to because it's interesting, it has a mood and a story to tell.

I have worn TV a few times in an effort to see what I'm missing - it seems to be such a favorite here, and altho I love the first 20 minutes dearly the cheap vanilla monotone that follows is just too sweet, too relentless, too synthetic, too whatever . . . maybe okay for clubby type stuff but not something I could manage on a regular basis.

Actually what Du Nez mentions above makes sense. I think Turin also said something along the lines of it being more of an ambient room scent kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I own 1740 and enjoy it - it's one I come back to because it's interesting, it has a mood and a story to tell.

I have worn TV a few times in an effort to see what I'm missing - it seems to be such a favorite here, and altho I love the first 20 minutes dearly the cheap vanilla monotone that follows is just too sweet, too relentless, too synthetic, too whatever . . . maybe okay for clubby type stuff but not something I could manage on a regular basis.

Actually what Du Nez mentions above makes sense. I think Turin also said something along the lines of it being more of an ambient room scent kind of thing.
    I relate.

1740 is a great and complex composition that definitely has something to say, something new to say almost every time I use it. Tom Fords make good first impressions but they're some of the simplest and most annoying things out there. Tobacco Vanille smells good but for me it definitely worked better as an ambient scent until I completely tired of it. And as far as I know it actually contains ingredients that are normally reserved for candles. Whatever floats a person's boat. I don't understand Tom Ford fragrances. They're dense and often start off good but they're mostly hard, simple, linear, etc. Hard to understand how people think this is quality. Great time to start a line of niche perfumes, though !

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

TV is easier to like but its linearity is a drag. 1740 is far more interesting. I don't need full bottles of either but between the 2 I prefer the HdP.

Sound Scents

I prefer the relatively simplistic Tobacco Vanille composition of the two primarily due to my dislike of the imortelle featured in 1740.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Tobacco Vanille. Got quite a few compliments wearing it.
    Last edited by sjg3839; 6th November 2013 at 06:54 PM.

Thanks for all of the feedback, folks. I'm going to go with the 1740. I've had the 1740 on one wrist all evening and Tobacco Vanille on the other. The 1740 really is better blended and a bit more interesting. I get terrific longevity out of it too. I'm betting a 120ml bottle will last at least a week

Banned
    Blog Entries

TV hands down