Code of Conduct

Default Point me in the right direction!

Hi all,

I'm very new to the game. I recently received a bottle of Creed's Bois du Portugal which I can't get enough of, but I'm interested in having a few alternatives as well. I've gotten myself some samples recently and have decided that I need to curb my spending before it gets out of control. Of the samples I've bought I really like Knize 10 and Aramis Havana. I tried Green Irish Tweed but it didn't really do it for me. I also tried Spicebomb which smells great... on my girlfriend, it was a little loud for me.

If I had to distill what I'm looking for in one sentence it would be: something masculine but not too overpowering, as well as deep (if that's a term people use) and unique. I'm sure the Knize and Aramis I like would be considered overpowering but I found them to be more comforting, I really only spray once. I'm a 23 year old male but I don't mind smelling like your grandpa, so long as he's kind of badass.

I've gathered that people get rather excited around here, so recommend me something!

Thanks!

Default Re: Point me in the right direction!

Dior Leather Oud (185)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Welcome!

Knize Ten is wonderful and costs much less than most other niche (like Creed) which are very expensive. So it's hard to improve on this. Another excellent and inexpensive leather (at least if you live in the US) is Estee Lauder Azuree. It is marketed to women, but it actually smells pretty much like Aramis (the original Aramis, not the others in the line), but with less musks.

A reference woody-spicy perfume was Chanel Antaeus. It has been lightened a bit, but it still kicks some ass.

cacio

Thank you both!

Knize is inexpensive, I'm considering one as a gift to myself for the holidays. I do live in the U.S., I'll have to look into Azuree and Antaeus. Spicy-woody sounds like my kind of thing.

If you like more classic scents, try to find some Guerlain Derby or Parfums de Nicolai New York.

A couple of fragrances that come to mind that are deep, masculine and very unique are L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer and Bentley for Men Intense. Both have fantastic "bang for the buck" as well.

Since you like Havana and tobacco fragrances, you might look for a sample of Creed's Tabarome Millesime, too, as well as Mugler's Pure Havane.

And if PalmBeach does anymore splits of the new Patou Pour Homme, try to get in on that split. But I'd recommend trying to find a sample first.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Vetiver Geranium, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...Ess-de-Cerruti

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Vetiver Geranium, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

I've been interested in Guerlain Derby, though my wallet would hate me if I ended up liking it. I'll look into the PdN as well, I haven't heard of them yet.

Thanks!

Etat Libre d'Orange Je Suis Un Homme: a leathery warm spicy masculine fragrance. Not too loud. This should fit your likings. Niche but affordable.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I would check out some of the incense and oud offerings from
    CDG
    Montale

Rive Gauche should do.

Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford or terre d'Hermes EDP
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Possibly also Aramis Tuscany, Azzaro pour Homme, Chanel pour Monsieur Concentree, Guerlain Heritage may also be worth testing.