Code of Conduct

Default S.O.T.D. - Wednesday, 6 November 2013

Hi all, hope it's a lovely one for everyone!

Portrait of a Lady - Malle.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Default Re: S.O.T.D. - Wednesday, 6 November 2013

Ungaro I this morning
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Basenotes Plus

Hello everyone, the pretty fluff of Gai Mattiolo for me today.

Best to all.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Blog Entries

Good morning!

The Olive Branch for work today.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Good afternoon !

Wearing the disappointing Cuir 28 today.

So this is finally be released after being announced completion 3 years ago and it turns out to be a flop!

In Arabic theres a saying that goes:
    You fast, fast and fast without food and then finally you're given an onion to break your fast on!
    Implying that you endured discomfort to only end it with something unappetizing as an onion.

for swap/sale:

Good morning everyone

Belated birthday wishes to Hedonist, hope you had a wonderful day.

image.jpg

Chanel No.19 for the work day, TF Grey Vetiver for yoga and then to undo all that good work with tapas this evening.

image.jpg

ErinK successful enabling! Narciso Rodriguez for Her on it's way and while I was distracted Tom Ford Grey Vetiver and Prada Infusion d'Iris also made their way home with me. Completely hopeless, even Mr Ford is shaking his head at me.

Have a lovely Wednesday!
    Last edited by Xscent; 6th November 2013 at 01:58 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Good morning all !. Hope your birthday went well, Saif - wondered about a belated champagne toast (minus the pretty dress and big hat) but decided that colleagues might not approve of bubbles and burps for breakfast.

SotD is Lanvin l'Homme.

Last edited by JON RODGERS; 6th November 2013 at 11:13 AM.

Thumbs up Re: S.O.T.D. - Wednesday, 6 November 2013

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

hello all,

vintage Tiffany For Men

Got a part wholemeal, part white flour loaf baking this morning, so I am wearing Jo Malone English Pear and Fressia. Windfall apples and pears and the smell of baking are my favourite things in autumn :-)

Irish Leather by Memo Parfums (189)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Hello everyone -

I'm sure it's going to sound crazy to some of you, but I'm wearing Aromatics Elixir for ballet and barre this morning, but just the smallest amount, really - one spray shared between my wrists. It won't be too much ...it's not too much right now so it'll be even more subtle by then, but I'm really not worried. Actually, I hope someone does get a whiff of me - I smell incredibly wonderful.

Y'all have a great day!

Hi there, Danielle! It's so nice to see you here - thanks for joining us. I bet you smell just heavenly along with your tasty loaf!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Hello all. Annick Goutal Myrrhe Ardente.
    DONNA

Givenchy Neo

Wearing Bulgari Black. A good getting-on-a-plane on a rainy day scent...

Hedonist222--there are so many onions out there, no?

Blue Amber.

Blog Entries

Insolence EdP

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Evangeline I love a light spritz of AE, so glad someone is wearing it.

Craving Bois de ╬les again so that and a bit of Sinatra tonight, song of the night 'It Had to Be You'. Yep, cosy.

image.jpg
    Last edited by Xscent; 7th November 2013 at 12:34 AM.

Cuir Ottoman for me today- definitely not an onion!

Happy belated birthday, Hedonist!

Wish you all a nice day.
    Last edited by iodine; 6th November 2013 at 03:17 PM.
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post
    Evangeline I love a light spritz of AE, so glad someone is wearing it.
    Well, I must admit I frequently enjoy a somewhat bolder application (and sometimes along with the body cream!) but I wouldn't dare do that to the entire class.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Best belated birthday wishes for Hedonist.
    Hope this gold-gilded birthday cake is hedonistic enough for lovely you.

Xscent, Jon, I am so up for some Aussie reds and chocolates and "wasting" time with the likes of you.
    Ursula, sounds like you have a wonderful son (N.Y. Marathon participant, poll worker). Since my lovely daughter is a runner, we watched the TV coverage on Sunday. So, umm, how old is your son …?
    Chicagoista, Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere just hooked me a little more than it did back whenever I first smelled it. Eau Premiere was one of the ten samples I brought home from Chicagoistaville. I thought it was regular 5, sprayed it on, expecting the "right-angled" notes of 5, then got drawn in by the "rounded-corner" notes of Eau Premiere.
    So, Kiliwia, what do you make of the Tory Burch? I can’t remember which of our Meet-up Mateys (stole that moniker from Rtamara) went into the Tory Burch store.
    RHM, I’m relieved for your sister. One booted step closer to better days, I do hope.
    RHM, Rtamara, did you try the Palmer House-supplied shampoo, conditioner and body lotion by Peter Thomas Roth? I didn’t like the hair products at all, but the moisturizer is smooth, non-greasy and smells faintly like the nature-based Yves Rocher Green Tea with a hint of lemon, which I enjoy very much.
    Mike, I’ve used your luscious Shalimar cream on my hands two nights now (and I spray Shalimar on one wrist). It takes about an hour before I can recognize the cream as Shalimar. You just know that has to be, at least in part, my sour skin factoring in. What’s more powerful is the sense that I’m applying this emollient I associate with your sweetest, which makes me feel loved in the kindest way.
    Good to see you here, Danielle. SotD is the coolest place to be, ya know.

It’s raining, and it seems like a nice day to dip into the Byredo that’s quickly becoming renamed Glenn’s Saffron (which is a better hybridized name than Black Furriner, given that this scent is actually Black Saffron from BNer Glenn who’s known as Furriner here).
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

queen of the universe

Good morning or afternoon, all you good-smelling people! Sexy Beast (the Steinway) gets a checkup and a tuning today and I'm home with a cold, so I'll cheer myself with Amarige—again. (wonder what this Amarige jones is all about...)
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Basenotes Plus

Good morning everyone! Very cold today, only 19 degrees.

Quarry, the Tory Burch is nice, but a little generic. I need to wear it a few more times though to really know for sure.

Joining Ipp in Portrait of a Lady this morning.

Have a great day! xoxo
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 6th November 2013 at 01:43 PM.

Yum, Danielle! Fresh bread (and butter) is one of the best things in the whole world. My mouth is watering!

Xscent, congrats on your new goodies! I can't wait to see how you like the NR for her - I will have to try that one one day. And yay @ your new bottle of Infusion d'Iris...as pedestrian as it may be among my more niche irises, it is my all time favorite scent.

(OK, other than freshly baked bread. Maybe I should have said it's my all time favorite perfume.)

Speaking of niche iris: today I'm in Keiko Mecheri Iris d'Argent. This one ranks pretty high for me, too.

So many SOTDs today that I have never tried! Most notably, POAL and Aromatics Elixir. I've got my work cut out for me.
    Last edited by ErinK; 6th November 2013 at 02:41 PM.

Good morning, good smelling people in the New World, and good evening to those on the other side of the globe.

Caron Tubereuse today, the end, and I mean the END of the sample. Like tapping it hard on my forearms to get it all out. So pretty but I think out of my reach price wise. So I am floralicious today.

OK, Evangeline AND Xscent, here's a good one for you:

I work with a lady who is maybe in her late 60s or early 70s, who wears this BIG perfume. I have never asked what it is, but it's STRONG and she wears a LOT of it. And it smells RETRO. And did I mention it's strong? Like, you can walk through a hall where she was walking 5 minutes prior and it smells like she is still standing there. It has been driving me nuts lately not knowing what it is...

So just now I walked into the the ladies' room and there she was in her big cloud of patchouli (and I have a migraine, I think) and I finally got the nerve to ask her what perfume she wore... her response: "Aromatics by Clinique."

That said, am sure on you lovely chickadees it smells fabulous.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Good morning everyone!

Belated Happy Birthday wishes to hedonist222!

I have to go watch Mom for a few hours and I'm going wearing a scent she likes, orange blossom-- body cream by Perlier and cologne from a Malone sample.

Bread and butter..nothin better. LOL, I've heard people of doing a low carb lifestyle...and I have to say, that's not for me! LOL. I just can't have a 'chicken sandwich' wrapped in lettuce instead of bread. Or spaghetti without pasta, burgers without buns...no croutons on salad..no thanks. Pass the bread, mashed potatoes and tortellini please.

Sensuous by EL.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Good morning everyone! Amouage Fate Woman for me today.

Look who graced us with their presence, hi Dani!

La Perla Parfum Prive. Brisk and sunny here today, about 1" of snow on the ground and it is not in any hurry to melt, looks like.

Basenotes Plus

Aren't our SOTD threads wonderful?! I look forward to them, I really do.
    "Glen's Saffron"ů.cool, I like that! I'm still blown away by Furriner's generosity AND the fact that we love a lot of the same scents.

Oprah, huh? I laughed so hard my sides hurt.

Quarry referred to our breakfast Sunday morning. It was a special. I am honored to have had our time together.

On to SOTDů..I'm wearing something I discovered in Chicago but didn't buy there. Although, the Carthusia SA was the nicest of the aggressive SA's at Neiman Marcus that day.

I never knew Carthusia made parfum versions of their fragrances. Mediterraneo was my favorite but they didn't have that one. Once I got home I went hunting for these fragrances. I found IO Capri & bought it; spicy, wild fig & tea are the descriptors I've seen. There's got to be more because this is so, so beautiful. Fig can be very strange on my skin, this one is stunning!

nd.4017.jpg
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Carthusia, never heard of that brand, may have to look into it.

Still thinking of the idea of no carbs..someone told me recently to shop around the parameters of the store...avoid the middle where the rice, pasta, sodas, blah blah blah are. I thought, ok!! Cause I know the bakery is in the corner there! Lol. When I was a kid..it was like cereal/oatmeal is brain food, good for ya..now it's like no, no, none of that. Weird. I say, if God made it, I am gonna eat it, that's my motto!! Don't eat empty calories...what does that even mean?? When are calories empty? Ok, done with talking about carbs.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

summer means fireflys

Cool and rainy here again ... Musc Ravageur is my scent today and I'm SO loving it!

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Editing to add a big welcome home to shades!! I've been thinking about you, but didn't see you when I way too quickly glanced over the end of yesterday's thread, but there you are! Did you have a totally fantastic time? Did you find that perfume store you were looking for, and a beautiful new perfume or two? And do you want to just pack up all your things and move to St. Lucia?
    Thank you E (and others!) for the welcome back. I DID have a totally fantastic time and yes St Lucia is wonderful and beautiful and I could SO live there! We didn't do much shopping but I did manage to find a perfume shop in the French side of St Martin. I purchased Chanel no5 EDP for myself and Chanel Bleu for hubby. I know it seems silly to buy Chanel when I could buy it here at home, but they are the French-made versions and that is what I wanted. I'm happy

I'm still on vacation the rest of the week which turned out to be a good thing because we are now having car trouble with 2 or our 3 vehicles. In fact, the truck broke down on the way to the airport ... my mom rescued us and we dealt with having the truck towed to the shop from Puerto Rico. When we got home, Oldest Son told us that my car wouldn't start and we are now dealing with that. It appears to be an electrical problem somewhere that is depleting the battery. It looks like I won't be buying any new smellies for a while

Happy belated birthday to hedonist222!

RHM, glad to hear your mom is doing well!

hugs to all ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Cars are nice to have but a pain! Hope they get repaired Shades. I've never smelled a French verison of Chanel..would like to though to see the difference. Potable, non-potable. I mean Chanel smells great but I'd never wanna drink it...perhaps too many carbs. lol.

summer means fireflys

I don't know if there truly is a difference or if it just urban legend ... but many swear the French-made juice is better. I think it is kumquat who prefers French-made Caron?

And OT, but cars are a necessity here in the sticks of Kansas ... no other way to get to work and back.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    Quarry referred to our breakfast Sunday morning. It was a special. I am honored to have had our time together.

On to SOTD…..I'm wearing something I discovered in Chicago but didn't buy there. Although, the Carthusia SA was the nicest of the aggressive SA's at Neiman Marcus that day.

I never knew Carthusia made parfum versions of their fragrances. Mediterraneo was my favorite but they didn't have that one. Once I got home I went hunting for these fragrances. I found IO Capri & bought it; spicy, wild fig & tea are the descriptors I've seen. There's got to be more because this is so, so beautiful. Fig can be very strange on my skin, this one is stunning!
    Our one-on-one time was precious, C. Such moments are usually lost to the hubbub at these events. It was only because Mr. Q and I shared the same B&B and courtyard with Rtamara in New Orleans that he and I formed such a fond bond with that exceptional gal.

I did not know Carthusia came in parfum strength—and Io Capri is my favorite. Unfortunately, my edt bottle went "off" after a short time. I mustn’t think of bringing home any more fig scents though or Mr. Q’s face will get stuck in a grimace. I still laugh to think of his reaction when I shared my Chicago Philosykos purchase. Oh, that face.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Wearing Burberry.

ErinK, Aromatics Elixir is great but it is best dabbed in just a tiny amount - your co-worker is most certainly overdoing it. She probably can't even smell it anymore.

I am in Maria Candida Gentile's Exultat today. This is my favorite of all the frankincense fragrances I have tried so far (except for the very different, fleeting, and beloved Relique d'Amour which I love because it reminds me of my trip to Paris). It has a warmth from the woody notes that blends well with and counteracts the usual astringent coolness of frankincense.

Basenotes Plus

Evening all !. My SotE is competing with a wonderful aroma wafting upstairs from the game soup Jenny is preparing - surely the perfect accompaniment for Dani's newly baked bread. Synchronised dunking anyone ?.
    Ulrich Lang Nightscape. I doubt it would figure too highly in many patchouli polls, the votes most likely going to heavy hitters like Givenchy Gentlemen but this is definitely "me". I prefer patchouli done with a light hand and the ethereal quality of Nightscape is always soothing to the extreme.

Last edited by JON RODGERS; 6th November 2013 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matildaben View Post
    ErinK, Aromatics Elixir is great but it is best dabbed in just a tiny amount - your co-worker is most certainly overdoing it. She probably can't even smell it anymore.
    You hit the nail on the head. Those were her words exactly. Said it's all she has worn for years and can't smell it anymore but can't wear any other perfumes (to be precise, she said, "I can't wear any other perfumes, like Avon" [!!!]) because she is allergic to them and other perfumes are too strong (!!!). So much baffle-ry in that statement that I had to invoke the Thumper rule at that point and smile and nod.

I have had a headache nearly all day, and for a while mid-day the smell of this lovely Keiko Mecheri Iris d'Argent was making me want to be sick. I hope it is not ruined (or "rurrn't" as they say in eastern North Carolina) for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ErinK View Post
    I work with a lady who is maybe in her late 60s or early 70s, who wears this BIG perfume. I have never asked what it is, but it's STRONG and she wears a LOT of it. And it smells RETRO. And did I mention it's strong? Like, you can walk through a hall where she was walking 5 minutes prior and it smells like she is still standing there. It has been driving me nuts lately not knowing what it is...
    So just now I walked into the the ladies' room and there she was in her big cloud of patchouli (and I have a migraine, I think) and I finally got the nerve to ask her what perfume she wore... her response: "Aromatics by Clinique."
    Yeah, unfortunately Erin, it's exactly that type of fragrance-abuse that gives wonderful perfumes a bad name. Somehow Poison managed to rebound from its bad 80s rep as obnoxious and loud, but poor Giorgio never got over it. Lol @ the baffle-ry and the Thumper rule.

I'm in vintage Sinan for the afternoon, yet another superb, classic chypre that requires a judicious touch to be incredibly stunning rather than completely overwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    Thank you E (and others!) for the welcome back. I DID have a totally fantastic time and yes St Lucia is wonderful and beautiful and I could SO live there! We didn't do much shopping but I did manage to find a perfume shop in the French side of St Martin. I purchased Chanel no5 EDP for myself and Chanel Bleu for hubby. I know it seems silly to buy Chanel when I could buy it here at home, but they are the French-made versions and that is what I wanted. I'm happy.
    Of course you had a great time shades, and I'm so pleased to hear you loved St. Lucia! It'll always have a place in my heart, you know. I agree about the French-made Chanel btw - I like to buy mine when I'm overseas, as well. Your beautiful No5 is a perfect souvenir.
    Last edited by Evangeline; 6th November 2013 at 08:05 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Off to work but not before making a big pot of chili.

SOTE is CD's La Collection Privee Mitzah
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Very late arriving today, as I had meetings all morning, then birthday cake with ice cream after lunch for a coworker's birthday.

Grabbed SL Un Bois Vanille from my small decant this morning - easy and gentle, and just smells good.

Blog Entries

Evening all,

Welcome Danielle, it's lovely to see you here!

Erin, what's the Thumper rule?

Wearing Stoned this evening.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Institution

What an incredibly busy day. My gosh. Real Estate is picking up in Miami - wow! I barely had time to eat lunch today. Started the day in (from a sample - from my buddy Joe [petruccijc[):

Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

Very nice. It does everything that Avignon does - making it IMO almost irrelevant. Longevity is insane. Almost Montale-ish. I could easily own a bottle of this. And I just might get one, once I go thru my bottle of Aedes de Venustas by L'Artisan & Serge Noire. I don't need three incense prominent scents right now.

I wish I could read everyone comments above but I am rushing in and off back to work....talk later!!!
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Plus

Welcome back, Shades! Good to hear you had a good time on your vacation, but what a horrible time to have car trouble. Glad you made your flight!

Wearing Estee Lauder Pleasures Delight tonight.

Have a good evening, everyone!

Blog Entries

L'Artisan Parfumeur Tea for Two. I haven't worn this one in a long time and MMMMMM is it fabulous.
    I also just ordered Timbuktu, Dzongkha, and Dzing! from Perfume Paradise's sale. I posted the sale on the Deals section.
    Last edited by VintagePoison; 7th November 2013 at 12:52 AM.
    Looking for THE femme fatale scent. If you think there is something I should smell please PM me!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Ungaro II tonight
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell