Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Junkie

Default Red Vetyver and TDH together

Contemplating a blind buy for Montale. Is it worth to own both? Sincr I like TdH a lot, am I certain to enjoy Red Vetyver as well?

Default Re: Red Vetyver and TDH together

You would certainly enjoy Red Vetyver. However, they do share a lot of similarities, so owning both would be a little redundant for most people - unless you are looking to have a large fragrance collection.

I agree with DougCzar it simply would be redundant to my nose to obtain both. I would explore newer options and opportunities with the extra cash. I will say I tend to prefer the Montale over the Hermes even though I am probably in the minority as TDH was the most voted male masterpiece last year. So it would be a personal decision on your behalf. Good luck.

Basenotes Plus

Totally redundant. If you already own TdH, stick with that.

I have TdH EDT and Pure Parfum, as well as their after-shave balm and lotion, and I love them all. They all have slight but detectable differences. I've tried Red Vetyver and although I do find it very similar to TdH EDT, Red Vetyver seems to be missing this strange/odd/weird/invigorating TdH "flint note" and remains rather flat and uninteresting. TdH has more going on and remains more interesting over several hours as it develops on skin, which is why ultimately I think it's the better of the two. Don't get me wrong, Red Vetyver is nice, but after I've tried it a number of times, it's just boring and uninteresting, to me, as there are no surprises and no development in it - it remains very linear from start to finish. TdH also seems to be stronger and projects better, even in its EDT formulation.

IMO not redundant at all. Happy having both. Actually have two varieties of the Hermes. I guess it affects different people differently.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

For me they smell reasonably different, but Red Vetyver, in my opinion, is not worth owning if you enjoy Terre's qualities.

I have Red Vetyver, TDH both EDT and Parfum....if I have to choose one...it's Red Vetyver. Longevity is excellent and its dense aroma are the highlight. The reformulated TDH EDT last only a while and the Parfum does not project at all.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

If you want to keep a reduced collection they may be redundant (in the same way two orange flower or two patchouli fragrances can be redundant, they have similarities but both have different charms).

With a few uses you'll notice they're quite different, but in the same vein though.

- - - Updated - - -

If you want to keep a reduced collection they may be redundant (in the same way two orange flower or two patchouli fragrances can be redundant, they have similarities but both have different charms).

With a few uses you'll notice they're quite different, but in the same vein though.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are looking to avoid redundancy it is not worth owning both in my opinion. They smell very, very similar.

I have both, and Red Vetyver is very good, but I don't think that a person would have to have both. Definitely very similar. Very...

Basenotes Junkie

Thanks for the opinions everyone. I decided not to blind buy at this time. However, I found and bought a decant which I will be getting by the end of the week.