Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense questions

I've not been a fan of Dior Homme in the past, however... my journey through the scent world has taken me across other iris based fragrances, and now I'm slowly rethinking the whole Dior Homme / Homme Intense concept. I think iris may be growing on me - so please bear with me as I try to figure out the differences and try to learn what's what...

From what I gather, there are four options to choose from: Dior Homme and Dior Homme Intense, both in "vintage" and "current" formulations.

I have a current release Dior Homme mini bottle, which seems very strong on iris, and is a very potent fragrance. Lasts easily 8+ hours and projects strongly most of this time. This is where I was initially picking up the "lipstick purse" notes, but am warming up to it and I think I actually may enjoy this particular composition, in the right situation and attire (ie: not a shorts/t-shirt casual Friday sort of scenario).

Last night I discovered that I actually had Dior Homme Intense official sample in my large box of samples (LOL, didn't even know it!), it also appears to be a current release, circa 2012-2013. I sprayed it on and while the first few seconds are very close to DH, this one quickly softens, iris disappears almost completely, and what I'm picking up is sort of clean, soapy vibe from it. What's puzzling to me is that this one is so light and soft that within 30 minutes I can barely detect it on my skin, and only if I press my nose right up to my arm. Within an hour it's fizzled out almost completely. Not so "intense" to me, as compared to regular DH which does seem to last almost all day, and strongly at that - I can smell it easily from about an arm's length away.

I've only tried the current formulations so far. A very good BN friend has offered to send me a very nice size decant of DHI vintage - I'm really looking forward to this one. I'm not sure if regular Dior Homme (vintage) can still be purchased in retail anywhere, at this point?

Based on my limited testing of the current formulations of DH and DHI, am I "getting it" right? Is the current DHI less intense than the regular DH? Seems odd to me, too, but I have seen many a "parfum" releases of other fragrances that are indeed softer than EDTs, they just claim their ingredients are richer and supposed to last longer, but in this case DHI seems to fall flat and if I had to choose between these two in *current* formulation, I think I'd go with the regular DH for its longevity and projection.

How do these stack up against their predecessors, the "vintage" formulations? How would you rate them all in terms of longevity and projection? I do not necessarily need or desire anything that projects like crazy, but I do want something that lasts more than an hour, 6+ hours would be ideal.

I recall there used to be a thread somewhere here on BN with a lot of photos of all these different formulations, to help identify vintage vs current, but I can't find it. Hopefully it wasn't lost in the switch to the old BN backups. If anyone has the URL bookmarked for that thread, please share. Thanks!

Default Re: Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense questions

As far as the Vintgage DHI and current version, the current version seemed to ease up on the iris. The vintage seems to last a lot longer though IMO.

I have 100ml bottles of both reformulated versions of DH and DHI. DH has decent longevity, maybe 6 hrs, but DHI lasts all day/night. Andre Moreau posted a recent entry right before the move comparing vintage to current DHI, basically saying they were nearly identical (insert periods where necessary):

raidersofthelostscent blogspot com/2013/10/dior-homme-intense-4-batches-review html

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by mjones602 View Post
    I have 100ml bottles of both reformulated versions of DH and DHI.
    Likewise, except in my case they're both original releases. Longevity with the intense is leaps and bounds over the non intense version.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Hmmmm, I'll have to re-test my DHI sample, and perhaps seek out another one, as my first test was very disappointing - especially since you are all saying DHI should last a lot longer. My first test (one spray) lasted not even 1 hour before disappearing altogether. A small dab from the DH bottle (the mini bottle doesn't have a sprayer, just a dabber) lasted a LOT longer on me, and projected very strongly all day. Perhaps my DHI sample has gone bad...??

mjones602 - thanks for the link.

Just posted this in another thread....but yes, I have the very same problem with DHI as you do. Poor projection and longevity from my 10ml current formula decant. Real bummed about the scent also, as I don't get any cocoa from it at all...just a couple hours of a weak iris and then nothing.

Basenotes Plus

bigbz - have you tried the current DH by any chance? I'd be curious if you experience the same issue as myself - awesome longevity and projection of the regular DH, while seeing the DHI fizzle out to nothingness within an hour or two.

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    bigbz - have you tried the current DH by any chance? I'd be curious if you experience the same issue as myself - awesome longevity and projection of the regular DH, while seeing the DHI fizzle out to nothingness within an hour or two.
    Unfortunately I haven't tried DH yet. But you know, I believe this is goin to go straight to the top of my "to test" list now, as seeing how underwhelmed I've been by the "intense" version....curiosity has got the better of me!lol

Basenotes Plus

:-) Well, the good news is you can find the regular DH just about anywhere... not like DHI which is somewhat difficult to find on this side of the pond (it was mostly an EU release, never meant to be in retail in the US). Once you try DH - please update this thread with your observations, I'd love to hear from you.

:-) Well, the good news is you can find the regular DH just about anywhere... not like DHI which is somewhat difficult to find on this side of the pond (it was mostly an EU release, never meant to be in retail in the US). Once you try DH - please update this thread with your observations, I'd love to hear from you.
    Yes, I've heard DH is pretty easy to find...and I thought I heard considerably cheaper as well? Oh yeah, for sure I will remik...you can bet on it! You have inspired me to try a full"over application"wearing on Friday of DHI to see if I can actually get something out of this over-hyped turd!(j/k kinda

Dior in Vegas has it Remik, best price I seen also. If some some reason they dont. Strawberrynet does. (All current releases)
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

Basenotes Plus

Yes, I've seen it at two Dior boutiques in Vegas in January, so I know it's there. But if the current formulation is as weak as my sample, then I think I'd stick with the regular DH - this one lasts virtually all day on me, and goes strong even 8 hours after application. I will take you up on that DHI vintage offer, though, LOL - I'll be sending you a PM shortly.

I wouldnt be suprised if your sample is bad. DHI vintage or current is really ( to my nose at least ) DH with the volume turned way up, esp the cocoa. Where DH is mostly Iris, DHI is mostly cocoa. But very similar.

The fact that you got a soapy vibe from that DHI vial makes me question that sample you tried.

Anyway, best way to test DHI is from bottle or sample from the Dior Boutique.

As for longevity, DHI is bounds above the current version of DH in that department. It easily lasts 10 hours and sometimes lingers to the next day.

Good luck and i highly recommend still getting DHI, even if you have DH...
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by tdwctdwc View Post
    Good luck and i highly recommend still getting DHI, even if you have DH...
    OK, I'll seek out another sample, or just bite the bullet and order a full bottle from Dior boutique.

As far as differences/similarities between DH and DHI, is it really worth having both? Is the difference really that noticeable? If you've tried TdH EDT and Pure Parfum, for example, would you say the similarity is sort of like this, or is Intense "vastly" different?

Daytime ...classy DH.....Nighttime sexy DHI. To me it is odd how they are so similar yet so different. It's like the difference between the beach at noon and at sunset. Same thing, but different attitude. I own both, wouldn't have it any other way.
    Last edited by willyb; 7th November 2013 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Mistake

Smelled and had all 4 ...DH original formulation..DH current formulation...DHI Vintage Formulation ....DHI current formulation. the vintage of both are totally different beasts especially DHI. the new version is like the vintages little brother and where the current formulation lasts about 4-6 the vintage lasts about 8-10 or more. the vintage is a vanilla and chocolatey masterpiece. Sadly I have 4 bottles of the vintage (OT02 which is 2010 silver collar) I must part with due to an ever growing collection and will go in the for sales for someone to enjoy.

OK, I'll seek out another sample, or just bite the bullet and order a full bottle from Dior boutique.

As far as differences/similarities between DH and DHI, is it really worth having both? Is the difference really that noticeable? If you've tried TdH EDT and Pure Parfum, for example, would you say the similarity is sort of like this, or is Intense "vastly" different?
    I think there's a much bigger difference between DH/DHI than TdH EDT/PP. I can barely tell the difference between the TdH's.

I have 100ml bottles of both reformulated versions of DH and DHI. DH has decent longevity, maybe 6 hrs, but DHI lasts all day/night. Andre Moreau posted a recent entry right before the move comparing vintage to current DHI, basically saying they were nearly identical (insert periods where necessary):

raidersofthelostscent blogspot com/2013/10/dior-homme-intense-4-batches-review html

Hope this helps!

Agree wirh this. I've owned all the formulations from 2009 up to the present and there is not a big difference between the vintage and reform. The vintage DHI lasts well over 12 hours on my skin and the reform lasts easily 10-12 hours sometime more. The sample you received may be a fake one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ih8buffering View Post
    Smelled and had all 4 ...DH original formulation..DH current formulation...DHI Vintage Formulation ....DHI current formulation. the vintage of both are totally different beasts especially DHI. the new version is like the vintages little brother and where the current formulation lasts about 4-6 the vintage lasts about 8-10 or more. the vintage is a vanilla and chocolatey masterpiece. Sadly I have 4 bottles of the vintage (OT02 which is 2010 silver collar) I must part with due to an ever growing collection and will go in the for sales for someone to enjoy.
    I know you are trying to move your investment vintage botles, but the current formulation of DHI lasts much longer than 4-6 hrs and IMO there's no point in paying double/triple for basically the same thing. (raidersofthelostscent blogspot com/2013/10/dior-homme-intense-4-batches-review html)

Also, why does it seem like most of the vintage DHI's on eBay are this same lot (OT02)? Weird...

Well for starters, you did pass the "test" (= you were okay with the iris note in the series). Keeping that in mind i think both DH and DHI are different enough to own both.

IMO :

DH : dries down to a dry cocoa and iris blend. Imagine sniffing a jar with iris flower and unsweetened cocoa powder.

DHI : You will get a vanilla-chocolate drydown that is far from being "dry", and which is very vibrant and wet (if that makes sense). Just delicious.

Actually, i find DH to be more masculine and dark in the drydown than DHI.

DHI is sweet gourmand in every sense of the word, while DH is more of a masculine iris scent with cocoa added to the mix, in my opinion...

As for ordering a blind bottle, it's up to you. You need to ask yourself if you might indulge in the drydown of DHI or not ....
    Last edited by tdwctdwc; 7th November 2013 at 04:57 AM.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Dior Homme has been formulated yet again (late 2013), including cardamom in the top notes. Check the Dior website.

Just to throw another wrench in the works....

Hope this helps!
    ✔️+1 YES

I have decant of reform DH and FB of DHI and yes very strong iris in DH but DHI is more rich, more fuller and round around the edges and gives me 8-12 hrs and 4-6 projection. The iris on DHI is tamed down and well blended just the way I like it, tooo much of good thing can sometimes hinder appreciation....and yes cocoa powder is well represented and to me it's a winner over The rest IMHO
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

If it's iris you seek, the most current formulation of Dior Homme is the one you should pick up as it has loads of sharp iris. More iris in my opinion than any of the other vintage stuff out there, I'm speaking of a bottle I picked up at Sephora a few months ago which had a 2012 stamp. Don't waste your money on the vintage Dior Homme as it's quite similar but leans a little more towards the current DHI in my opinion.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by TrimmTrabb View Post
    Dior Homme has been formulated yet again (late 2013)
    Yes, I saw that in the raidersofthelostscent reviews. It is becoming really sad that Dior Homme is now very much like Aventus - you have to find just the right batch that smells like what you like, instead of just grabbing a bottle from any store, any reasonably new vintage, without having to worry it won't be like what you may have tested before. I really really dislike when companies alter their fragrances like this, especially every year or two (I can understand regulations etc requiring them to change formula once in 10-20 years, but, every year??)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    If it's iris you seek, the most current formulation of Dior Homme is the one you should pick up as it has loads of sharp iris. More iris in my opinion than any of the other vintage stuff out there, I'm speaking of a bottle I picked up at Sephora a few months ago which had a 2012 stamp. Don't waste your money on the vintage Dior Homme as it's quite similar but leans a little more towards the current DHI in my opinion.
    Hey, good to know - thanks! I have a mini of the current DH and it is quite a beast, very strong, and very long lasting (and projects strongly for a good 8 hours on me). I think it may be the safest bet, just stick with that, and not waste time hunting down "just the right formula, right vintage, and right iris note" - I'll leave such nonsense to the Aventus batch hunters. ;-)