Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default MDCI Paris perfumes - Are they worth the price?

The first one I tried was "Vepres Siciliennes" in form of a 10 ml decant. I am enchanted with this extraordinary scent. When it is finished, I might go for full bottle, worth every penny. Not the bottle with the statue, but the simpler version.

Is anyone familiar with this line? Which other scents are worth trying? Does the company have a sample program?
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Default Re: MDCI Paris perfumes - Are they worth the price?

I too think that the perfumes in the line show a lot of complexity and care. My favorites are Enlevement au serail (peachy floral chypre) and Promesse de l'Aube (fuzzy citrusy floral).

I think they have a small bottle program on their website (something like 5 10ml bottles for 100 euros or the like)

cacio

http://parfumsmdci.free.fr/index.php...=en&page&id=82
    Scroll down about half way to see the information about their outstanding sample program. I think of their official samples as minis - they are sized quite generously. The price of a set of samples can be deducted from the purchase of a full bottle.

I have bottles (not the fancy ones though) of Invasion Barbare, Chypre Palatin and Enlevement au Serail and minis or decants almost all the other scents. It's all good IMO. Chypre Palatin is my favorite at this moment.

I have yet to try La Belle Helene or the newest scents: Nuit Andalon and Cuir Garamante. I'm especially anxious to try the latter.

Adding: In a moment of weakness I ordered a sample set. I'm really wanting to check out Cuir Galamante.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 6th November 2013 at 09:51 PM.

This company makes quality fragrances and worth the price IMO.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

+1 on their sampling program. Invasion Barbare is definitely worth the money IMO, but might be more comfortable on a man. Still, worth a shot.
    Check out my personal blog: http://stayathomedadfindsacologne.com

"Perfume and incense make the heart glad..."

-Proverbs 27:9

Blog Entries

'Un Coeur En Mai' or 'Chypre Palatin' are my two favorites. I do think this is high quality juice. The other scents are all good but just too rich for my blood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Basenotes Institution

Very good juice , Ursula and IMHO they are worth the price.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Chypre Palatin for me was the light at the end of a long dark tunnel of olfactory blandness (i.e. current perfumery). To this point I had never paid so much for a fragrance; but it was absolutely worth it. My enthusiasm for this scent hasn't diminished in the 8 months I own it. As a plus: I don't smell this typical "Bertrand Duchaufour"-signature in it.

Banned
    Blog Entries

If you have the cash whatever you desire is worth the price..
    I myself would only buy decants from this house

Blog Entries

@ Socalwoman - you said, "in a moment of weakness, I ordered a sample set".

I did the same thing, last night. The firm suggests to pay via PayPal. Now here is the thing: I e-mailed them for instructions and will then order the 5 sample set via PayPal, with my credit card that is stored on PayPal.

Shipping costs from France to U.S.A. are not that high. I am just wondering which carrier they are going to use, because of all fuss with shipping "dangerous goods" via airplane. We just discussed that in a neighbor post, where a member asked how to send perfume from the U.S.A. to Germany.

Well, the MDCI Paris firm has not replied to me yet. (The Jury is still out whether they are willing to send the samples overseas to me. The combined weight of 5 x 12 ml equals 60 ml of so-called "inflammable dangerous goods". Now what? If they refuse to send because of that, they may as well close shop, because without testing nobody will want to pay the extremely high prices for their products, as well-crafted as the scents may be.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    @ Socalwoman - you said, "in a moment of weakness, I ordered a sample set".

I did the same thing, last night. The firm suggests to pay via PayPal. Now here is the thing: I e-mailed them for instructions and will then order the 5 sample set via PayPal, with my credit card that is stored on PayPal.

Shipping costs from France to U.S.A. are not that high. I am just wondering which carrier they are going to use, because of all fuss with shipping "dangerous goods" via airplane. We just discussed that in a neighbor post, where a member asked how to send perfume from the U.S.A. to Germany.

Well, the MDCI Paris firm has not replied to me yet. (The Jury is still out whether they are willing to send the samples overseas to me. The combined weight of 5 x 12 ml equals 60 ml of so-called "inflammable dangerous goods". Now what? If they refuse to send because of that, they may as well close shop, because without testing nobody will want to pay the extremely high prices for their products, as well-crafted as the scents may be.)

I ordered the smaller, five- piece sample set. I sent my paypal payment to parfumsmdciparis@free.fr. On their website, it says the amount requested includes shipping to North America.

I wanted to try two scents not listed on their site yet: Cuir Garament and Nuit Andalon. Because those scents haven't been added to the site I included a note on my paypal payment and also wrote an email message to the same address to ask they send after the two newer scents become available and it is convenient for them to do so. I know someone in Europe who received Cuir Garament already as part of a sample set. I'm hoping they can do the same for me.

If they need to change carriers and/or shipping rates I expect they will update the web page with this information and return any $$ that was sent with the old rates in my mind. In 2009 I ordered a sample set on April 29. I listed the scents I wanted in the PayPal comments section and also sent an email to them with that information. They responded to me by email on 5/1/09:

"...this is to inform you that the set of MDCI samples you ordered was mailed yesterday (registered mail, see copy of the Post form attached hereto).

Normally it should be delivered within a week or ten days, even less ( our best is three days, our worst...four ...weeks. But not a single one has ever been lost!)

I hope that you find something to like in this new assortment of fragrances..."

With any luck, things will go just as smoothly this time as it did then.

All worth the money imo. I wish there was more 'mascuilines' in the range though.

CP is like 'heaven on earth'

Blog Entries

That is true, with any luck, things should go smoothly.

Thanks, Socalwoman for the link. I went ahead and ordered today the C1000 set with the following 5 samples: Vepres Siciliennes, Enlevement au Serail, Chypre Palatin, Invasion Rose Barbare, La Belle Helene.

Such fancy names, the whole company and website are very fancy. They were courteous and replied to my regular e-mail and provided the same link. The rest was easy - a regular PayPal procedure with a message box to specify the 5 samples and a greeting, etc.

When the samples come, perfume appreciation will start in earnest. I have already researched the internet for different reviews.

What I want to stress - is what a good deal this really is. We know how expensive the bottles with the statues are, and even the simple bottle costs a lot. So, here, let's do some math and analysis: 90 Euros for the set equal (today) $124.90, roughly $125.00 for 5 12ml samples, that is $25.00 per sample. To be exact, roughly $2.00 per ml. You cannot get such a good price at neither LuckyScent nor ThePerfumedCourt.

Could one get a price of $2.00 per ml at a Sharing? Maybe so, but you would have to pay postage. Plus correspondence back and forth.

Here, no sweat, a simple PayPal transaction and the goods delivered to your door.

Ofcourse not , but people that have money to burn will burn it...
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Basenotes Plus

Ursula, MDCI will mail to the US. Depending on who they use (LaPoste or Colissimo) I have found both services to be pretty speedy, although, since you live in NY, you are stuck with it going through customs in NY, which is about the slowest to of any customs centers that I have experienced.

One thing to know about MDCI, it is a basically a one man show and Claude puts his heart and soul into the business, but sometimes he gets overwhelmed and is slow to respond.

He is in the process of introducing two new perfumes and changing his bottles from 60mL to 75mL, so I am sure this is one of those overwhelming periods. He is a real gentleman and will get back with you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    Ha ha ha ha ... where have you last seen somebody busy burning bills? Instead, "the recession", "the government", generally "Woe is me."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Ursula, MDCI will mail to the US. Depending on who they use (LaPoste or Colissimo) I have found both services to be pretty speedy, although, since you live in NY, you are stuck with it going through customs in NY, which is about the slowest to of any customs centers that I have experienced.

One thing to know about MDCI, it is a basically a one man show and Claude puts his heart and soul into the business, but sometimes he gets overwhelmed and is slow to respond.

He is in the process of introducing two new perfumes and changing his bottles from 60mL to 75mL, so I am sure this is one of those overwhelming periods. He is a real gentleman and will get back with you.
    That is interesting to know, a one man show. His initials CM do show on the PayPal transaction receipt.

Something else, and I love to elaborate on this ... It may not be wise to change his bottles into a bigger size. Oh no, not at all. Instead, the merchandise ought to be more available to the general masses (the plebians). (Perhaps his business model is for the elite, one might assume this.) BUT, and here is the but, other one man show type businesses like Andy Tauer are now going the avenue of producing not only purse spray sizes for certain scents, but also a brand new "Explorer Set". With decent size samples, to get to know the scent before investing into full bottle.

Blog Entries

I love CP, too. I wish my husband liked it, I would buy it for him. Sadly, he just didn't respond to it. The only one I own (just 10ml) is the delightful New improved Coeur en Mai. I tried to like the rest of the line but the high-pitched peachy thing just doesn't cut it for me.

Why is trying to smell as beautiful as I possibly can burning money. That would imply getting nothing back at all

"Worth the price" is completely down to the individual. For me, no. I like a couple of their perfumes, but at that price, I wouldn't buy any of them.

If someone gave me Chypre Palatin as a gift, I wouldn't turn it down!

I received a nice message from Claude Marchal with an attached copy of the post form advising me that my sample order has been sent. I'm very happy that he was able to accommodate my request for the newest scents.

The fragrances from this house are exceptional. Chypre Palatin is breathtaking(my fave). The other I enjoy is Rivages des Syrtes, a sophisticated pineapple and smoke creation from Patricia de Nicolai. IMHO its better than that Creed one.

Also, Claude is a pleasure to deal with. A gentleman.

MDCI perfumes are incredible!!!!

I also love the flexibility of Mr. Marchal.

I wonder how he can answer every question of customers!

He also makes his bottles (not only bust!) himself.

Even if I respect his work and his perfumes, I decided to not pay more than 200€ for a perfume because nothing is worth over 200€ IMO.

As others said, the sampling program is well worth it. You can also use the credit they give you towards an aluminum bottle of a fragrance that ends up being pretty much the price you paid for the samples, meaning you get a ton of juice for that price. This is, of course, if you don't mind not getting that beautiful bottle.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    .... You can also use the credit they give you towards an aluminum bottle of a fragrance that ends up being pretty much the price you paid for the samples, meaning you get a ton of juice for that price...
    Can you please explain how that works? Do you ask in an email?

Ok you folks have convinced me to order the sample set. So which ones should I order beyond the CP and IB which gets mentioned here a lot?

Some guidance would be nice :-)

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

I would add Promesse de l'aube, a citrusy modern chypre, and Enlevement au serail, a smooth peachy floral chypre (for the latter, you need to be ok with a litlte sweetness). Probably PdA would be considered more masculine.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by blackheart2925 View Post
    Ok you folks have convinced me to order the sample set. So which ones should I order beyond the CP and IB which gets mentioned here a lot?

Some guidance would be nice :-)

Check if you might like Cuir Garamante from reviews, I think it's a nice unisex one towards masculine and better than
    Ambre Topkapi, which may not fit you because of the caraway.

I concur Enlevement au Serail is just wonderful but maybe too 'feminine' for a guy, so that one might be an instant gift for a special girl

The others I like are Peche Cardinal, which is an almost unisex perfumey not sweet coconut; Rose de Siwa, a good modern rose fragrance à la Kurkdjian; and La Belle Helene and Vepres Siciliennes, both floral fruity sweet but natural smelling and with good longevity, all four too expensive but since we are talking about a sample program...
    Last edited by Brian_Towers; 13th January 2014 at 09:26 PM.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

Good to me. Especially Invasion Barbare and Le Rivage des Syrtes

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Can you please explain how that works? Do you ask in an email?
    For sure! So, all you have to do is email Claude, the owner of the company. He is super nice and very helpful. He talked to me about it when I was concerned I wouldn't be able to afford an actual bottle regardless of the credit. I'm pretty sure you can just email him through the main email listed on the site, that's what I used (this was almost a year ago now, mind you). I've heard other people doing this too, though.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

i wish there was a thanks button to thank all the nice and helpful people here...

in the absence of that, a big thank you to all the fantastic people here, one of the nicest communities to hang around in.

Ok thinking of going for the 8x12ml sampling program (12ml samples sure is a generous amount ) with the following

Ambre Topkapi
    Invasion Barbare
    Chypre Palatin
    Cuir Garamante

Also thinking of

Le Rivage des Syrtes
    Promesse de l'aube
    Un coeur en mai
    Rose de Siwa

Hoping to find one or two which i really like
    Last edited by blackheart2925; 14th January 2014 at 02:42 AM.

The website indicates you can use the sample credit on anything except more samples (e.g. the fancy bottles). Anyone know if that's the case? I'd be more inclined to get a sample set if that's true.

Quote Originally Posted by 1adam12 View Post
    The website indicates you can use the sample credit on anything except more samples (e.g. the fancy bottles). Anyone know if that's the case? I'd be more inclined to get a sample set if that's true.
    Yep! Once you get the sample set, the money you spent on said set can be "reused" if you will toward any order that is not of another sample set (lest the cycle would continue). There is also, to my knowledge, no time limit on the credit, meaning you could use it 5 years later when your samples are all used up. That's what I am doing.

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    For sure! So, all you have to do is email Claude, the owner of the company. He is super nice and very helpful.
    Thank you sir!

Sweet, thanks for the info, OctaVariuM.

Absolutely and emphatically NO, not worth the high price!
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Absolutely and emphatically NO, not worth the high price!
    Have you tried them? If so, which ones and why are they not worth the cost?

Chypre Palatin and Invasion Barbare are two of the most incredible scents that I have ever tried and this is after 30+ years of loving fragrance.

Would I like to pay less for them? Of course but I can't so I bite the bullet financially and enjoy these incredible fragrances. If you've tried them and you can honestly say that you don't like them then I understand but even if you don't like them, can you appreciate their construction and the materials and creativity involved in that construction?

Edit to add; do you love Creed fragrances or any other niche stuff? If you don't think MDCI fragrances are worth the price, how do you feel about other, expensive niche fragrances in general?

Agree with the above - however, I will buy the bottle only & no bust - this house is similar to by Kilian - if you buy the whole package, you are spending way more than the actual cost of the parfum - imho...I buy only refills of Kilian & although I own only IB from MDCI, I do intend buying Chypre Palatin in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Agree with the above - however, I will buy the bottle only & no bust - this house is similar to by Kilian - if you buy the whole package, you are spending way more than the actual cost of the parfum - imho...I buy only refills of Kilian & although I own only IB from MDCI, I do intend buying Chypre Palatin in the future.
    Lately I've been starting to convince myself that every serious fragrance lover needs to at least try Chypre Palatin. It is seriously one of the best compositions I've ever smelled. I have about 24 mL (less now I am sure), but I think it will be the one I buy a bottle of. I tend to wear it more than IB, which I also adore.

As soon as My cash lands end of month , Im getting a sample set too, very excited
    Thought of Chypre paladitin, cuir garamante, invasion Barbare,rivage des syrtes och vepres siciliennes

^ lol

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    http://parfumsmdci.free.fr/index.php...=en&page&id=82
    Scroll down about half way to see the information about their outstanding sample program. I think of their official samples as minis - they are sized quite generously. The price of a set of samples can be deducted from the purchase of a full bottle.
    The above site seems to be down??? Any idea whats happening?

Hope it gets back up soon cant resist looking at the perfumes and dreaming...waiting to gather the funds till i can order the sample set.

Probably just changing host or having a re-vamp - Chypre Palatin's on my 'to do' list from there

Tried three or four of their scents, couldn't care less. Absolutely overpriced for me!
    My current top five:

Yohji Yamamoto - Yohji Homme (vtg)
    Boucheron - Jaipur Homme
    Serge Lutens - Fumerie Turque
    Hermès - Equipage (vtg)
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

Blog Entries

I found another I really like- Vepres Sicilienes. Soft peach and incense. Normally I'm tired of incense but here it gives weight to the delicate peach. Very elegant.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    The first one I tried was "Vepres Siciliennes" in form of a 10 ml decant. I am enchanted with this extraordinary scent. When it is finished, I might go for full bottle, worth every penny. Not the bottle with the statue, but the simpler version.

Is anyone familiar with this line? Which other scents are worth trying? Does the company have a sample program?
    Sorry, I just wrote a reply without reading this. I agree 100%!! Looking forward to getting this!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by blackheart2925 View Post
    The above site seems to be down??? Any idea whats happening?

Hope it gets back up soon cant resist looking at the perfumes and dreaming...waiting to gather the funds till i can order the sample set.

Yeah, it's interesting to see a company that sells such expensive luxury goods hosting their web site on a FREE, yes, FREE web hosting platform. That thing was designed for freebie, personal junk sites, not for commercial hosting, especially for what one would consider premium luxury brand. Their account finally got cancelled, it seems. You'd think they could afford to spend a few bucks on at least some cheapie web hosting plan. I emailed them over a year ago and extended free hosting services altogether (I own couple web hosting companies) but never heard back from them. Oh well.

Chypre Palatin, the only one I like for real.

I see, in french, Enlevement as temporary unavailable, high hopes
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

Totally worth the price just for the excellent service Claude provides!

Invasion Barbare and Chypre Palatin are excellent... Cuir garamante has that sharp note that I hate but Nuit Andalouse is an amazing floral. All his fragrances have very good longevity.
    Last edited by hawk; 21st May 2014 at 11:04 PM.

After wearing the best cologne I've ever tried (Invasion Barbare) and smelling it pretty strongly on my skin eleven hours later I'd have to say yes. Two tiny sprays is all it took. Double the price, double the longevity, and double the quality means half the price, if you think about it.

I love some of them - have Enlevement au Serail, Rivage des Syrtes, Vepres Siciliennes and Nuit Andalouse. To me they are worth it.

tried several of them , still no positive impression... the bust bottles are...tacky!

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

I love this line, there offering are complex and IMO they are worth every pennies.

I love Invasion Ba
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud