Code of Conduct

Default Olfactory Turnabout --- When your nose changes its mind

This seems to be happening to me again and again. At this point, I think it would be safest to never say I like/dislike a fragrance until I've given it a very full wearing at least 3 times and possibly different weather occasions.

My most recent experience is with Amouage Gold Woman. I received a sample and while it was not offensive, I didn't like it particularly. It had some portion of the character of Chanel No 5 which is the portion I don't especially enjoy (so far in my journey anyway). However, upon a later occasion of wearing Dia, I realized that I wanted a bit more, so I spritzed on a very light touch of Gold over the top of it. That woke things up and suddenly, it was a new love.

Then, I wore Gold alone again and found I am mesmerized, taken in by its opulence and mystery.

I'm wondering now, is this the common experience mainly of the new perfume lover, or is this just the common experience of the one who seeks to truly understand what it is to wear a perfume.
    Last edited by danieq; 7th November 2013 at 09:22 PM.

Default Re: Olfactory Turnabout --- When your nose changes its mind

I think it's more common when you're still new to perfumes. But, as long as we are exploring and trying new things, our tastes will continue to evolve. If your tastes stop changing, then you've stopped learning. That may happen eventually, and I'll just stick to the things I already know I like. But I can't see that happening while I'm still interested in perfume as a hobby.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Seems to be very common in people who are still relatively new, as rubegon said. I had the same experience with Mitsouko. Not in the slightest bit interested the first few times I smelled it, and now I have two bottles (edt and edp). Tastes will change as you learn about elements of perfumes and start to pick out what you like and dislike, and as you feel like exploring those elements more widely. Another example: I gave away a sample of Futur a long time ago, because I found it totally uninteresting. Over time, I discovered that I really like green florals and green chypres. I go back and smell Futur and now it's bottle-worthy.

Honestly, it bugs me that this happens. The fact that I had to learn about green florals/chypres before I could appreciate Futur tells me that what I smell is too influenced by what I think, which seems wrong to me. I always say that people should trust their noses, but then I'm not practicing what I preach. But then I guess a lot of different factors go into making up our tastes.

Great comments, rubegon and Kagey. I agree - we're continuously learning and experiencing all sorts of new scents, and as we get to know all the various notes and accords, each in a variety of compositions, we're more likely to "engage" with them wherever we recognize them. So, if we're not familiar with a note we experience for the first time in one perfume, we might revisit that perfume later with a completely new and different perspective once getting to know and possibly love that note in a different perfume.

But I don't think you have to be new to it - it still happens to me when I smell a new perfume. But like I state above, I believe what's happening is I'm immediately recognizing the notes and accords I'm more familiar with, like you'd recognize friends when you arrive at a party, so they come across as quite prominent, when they're actually just more familiar to me so I'm more aware of them, more focused on them. But then, after another wearing or two, they step back and allow the rest of the composition to reveal itself, and I lose this tight focus as I become more familiar with the whole perfume. I still see the "friends" right away, but I see them much more in context with their surroundings, as part of the crowd rather than the guests of honor. I also think this is why we sometimes smell a perfume for the first time and instantly think it smells exactly like a different perfume, but once you get used to these similarities you can move beyond them and get to know the differences.

I love this aspect of perfume, how it evolves along with our own perceptions ...it makes it dynamic. Well, that and the fact that the perfume itself is constantly evolving and changing, although hopefully not as quickly as we do. But it's the primary reason I have a hard time giving a bottle up - I just never know when I'm going to love something I previously disliked, or sometimes even loathed. It can be a complete turn-around, but it's more often something I thought was boring and unremarkable that turns out to be a hidden gem in my own wardrobe. But it's always a fun discovery!
    Last edited by Evangeline; 7th November 2013 at 02:25 PM.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Subjective is the name, revisiting can trigger enchantment and olfactory memory can hinder note if experienced is correlated to a negative and vise versa....revisiting , locality and atmosphere can open air ways to appreciate well made notes on ocassion when initially thought otherwise ....Cheerios
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    I think it's more common when you're still new to perfumes.
    I would also agree with this.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I had the same experience with Mitsouko. Not in the slightest bit interested the first few times I smelled it,.
    This is uncanny. I tested Mitsouko again a few days ago and practically fell in love on the spot -- after years thinking ' no, not for me'

Just don'e tell me its batch variations

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    This is uncanny. I tested Mitsouko again a few days ago and practically fell in love on the spot -- after years thinking ' no, not for me'

Just don'e tell me its batch variations
    No, no! Certainly not. It's just been reformulated. :-)

No, no! Certainly not. It's just been reformulated. :-)
    So I hear But that wasn't the issue for me. I bought a bottle of edt in 2009 or 2010, which were reportedly bad years. At that point I didn't love it but thought it was a good idea to have it. I thought it was interesting and wanted to be able to go back to it now and again. I do love it now, and sadly couldn't tell the difference between it and the 2012 version that people say is much better (I checked batch codes and asked for advice). I bought the current edp about a month ago, and while I definitely notice a difference between it and the edt (and also the parfum, which I tried recently as well), I'm pretty sure I'm hopeless when it comes to sensing the reformulation. Maybe that will take a couple more years.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Great comments, rubegon and Kagey. But I don't think you have to be new to it - it still happens to me when I smell a new perfume. But like I state above, I believe what's happening is I'm immediately recognizing the notes and accords I'm more familiar with, like you'd recognize friends when you arrive at a party, so they come across as quite prominent, when they're actually just more familiar to me so I'm more aware of them, more focused on them. But then, after another wearing or two, they step back and allow the rest of the composition to reveal itself, and I lose this tight focus as I become more familiar with the whole perfume. I still see the "friends" right away, but I see them much more in context with their surroundings, as part of the crowd rather than the guests of honor. I also think this is why we sometimes smell a perfume for the first time and instantly think it smells exactly like a different perfume, but once you get used to these similarities you can move beyond them and get to know the differences.
    This really resonates for me and explains the phenomenon well. Thanks Evangeline.

So I suppose I shall be experiencing this quite regularly for a few years anyway and then it may die back a bit, but still exist as long as my journey continues. Good to know. Now that I realize that this is likely to happen, it makes it all even more exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    So I hear But that wasn't the issue for me. I bought a bottle of edt in 2009 or 2010, which were reportedly bad years. At that point I didn't love it but thought it was a good idea to have it. I thought it was interesting and wanted to be able to go back to it now and again. I do love it now, and sadly couldn't tell the difference between it and the 2012 version that people say is much better (I checked batch codes and asked for advice). I bought the current edp about a month ago, and while I definitely notice a difference between it and the edt (and also the parfum, which I tried recently as well), I'm pretty sure I'm hopeless when it comes to sensing the reformulation. Maybe that will take a couple more years.
    Don't feel bad. I wear Habit Rouge about 100 times a year, and I can't smell a difference between vintage (with oud) and current EdP..

Don't feel bad. I wear Habit Rouge about 100 times a year, and I can't smell a difference between vintage (with oud) and current EdP..
    Vintage HR has oud?

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Vintage HR has oud?
    The EDP

Quote Originally Posted by easyfish View Post
    The EDP
    From which year?

I have current HR (maybe a couple of years), I also have HR edt from late 80s.
    Neither have oud.

I'd love to try the one that has oud in it.

for swap/sale:

From which year?

I have current HR (maybe a couple of years), I also have HR edt from late 80s.
    Neither have oud.
    We´re talking about the first HR EDP with the "leather jacket" (2003 - ??), as shown in the pic above.. ;-)

Blog Entries

The nose - and the brain - work in mysterious ways. I wanted to fully appreciate CARON "Nuit de Noel" and bought it. Did not really, truly like it. Gave it away. Years later, bought it again, as a good deal. Still didn't really like it. Gave it away again.

It has practically never happened to me that a scent sort of graduated (or my perception of it). Either I love it, or I like it; but when I don't like it, or cannot tolerate it, out it goes.

Now, I am anxiously awaiting a package from France with MDCI Perfumes, one of those being "Chypre Palatin". Many members like it and write accolades of praise about it. I am predisposed to at least like this scent - it must be good, if so many love it. We shall see.

NASOMATTO - Black Afgano - I absolutely hated it, wrote a negative review and received a lot of BS comments how great a scent it is supposed to be.

Nose education has something to with fragrance appreciation, as this topic demonstrates, but don't you think that skin chemistry has the bigger voice?
    Last edited by Ursula; 9th November 2013 at 05:24 PM.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Quote Originally Posted by easyfish View Post
    We´re talking about the first HR EDP with the "leather jacket" (2003 - ??), as shown in the pic above.. ;-)
    Ahh ok.
    They must've omitted the oud from my bottle then lol.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    Nose education has something to with fragrance appreciation, as this topic demonstrates, but don't you think that skin chemistry has the bigger voice?
    No. I do think skin chemistry plays a part, but I think it's a small part compared to how your brain and your own perception of things can sometimes completely change, even in a single day. One's own skin chemistry doesn't fluctuate nearly as much, or at least as quickly, as our own perceptions, which are constantly shifting with each experience.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

In one of my earliest posts on this site (now lost in the re-boot away from Huddler) I wondered if some fragrances weren't dynamic, assuming that my sniffer is more or less fixed. It was otherwise hard for me to explain why I smelled different things in the same frag on different days.

Whether it is me or the juice or some combination, it sure keeps things interesting! I've gone from really disliking all, to really liking some, orange blossom and neroli, as just one example.

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    In one of my earliest posts on this site (now lost in the re-boot away from Huddler) I wondered if some fragrances weren't dynamic, assuming that my sniffer is more or less fixed. It was otherwise hard for me to explain why I smelled different things in the same frag on different days.

Whether it is me or the juice or some combination, it sure keeps things interesting! I've gone from really disliking all, to really liking some, orange blossom and neroli, as just one example.
    Your sniffer is fixed James, unless you are congested or something like that. But most likely, the fragrances are too. It's your brain that changes.

Ahh ok.
    They must've omitted the oud from my bottle then lol.
    When the leather-clad bottle and mirrored Beau Cavalier bottle were sold, the official notes given by Guerlain included agarwood, but the notes were changed and agarwood removed when the presentation was simplified to make it like the EdT. I can't tell the difference between the juice, but I haven't A-Bed them in a while.

Happened to me quite recently regarding Joop Homme. Could not stand this fragrance at first, and while I am still not overly enthusiastic about it, there is something about this fragrance that became more likable, more enjoyable to me.

This has happened to me a few times, I use to like quite masculine smelling fragrances especially those from the diesel and hugo boss line but its definitely changed into something more maturer these days.

Happened again very recently.

Up until now, I had never really understood the appeal of leather in fragrances. And then I smelled "Cuir de Russie" by Chanel...

A whole new world just opened up!