Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Thumbs up & down buttons - discussion regarding the use of.

JiveHippo "likes" the above ^ post.

Given that some of the most vocal detractors left as soon as they were finished vocally detracting, I'm sure it could be opened for discussion again.

I like both the above posts!
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

I agree, I miss having a 'like' option.

While the presence of a "vote down" option was an attempt to move the community toward a greater degree of self-moderation, it proved to be too much of a temptation for some who just began down-voting innocent bystanders for kicks. Fortunately, we've seen a noticeable decline in trolling / intentional antagonism since we left Huddler, so those concerns are somewhat moot now. Consequently, I don't see any need for a "down vote" option.

An "up vote" option, however, is a helpful instrument in adjusting the quality vs. quantity scale. Whereas post counts were rewarded in the past (a daily "top" poster list on the front page), that rarely expressed the quality of the post and instead, just signified a lot of posts. Rewarding posts that are thoughtful, developed, articulate, that move beyond single word responses / quick-fire posts etc., seems wise to me. I'm all for the cultivation of more rigorous discussion, but that "liking" could be for anything, really.
    Last edited by deadidol; 28th January 2014 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    ...Rewarding posts that are thoughtful, developed, and articulate, that move beyond single word responses / quick-fire posts etc., seems wise to me. I'm all for the cultivation of more rigorous discussion, but that "liking" could be for anything, really.
    Yes. Sometimes, I feel someone has expressed something perfectly and I just don't have anything I can add to it to expand or further the discussion, but I want to applaud them for having been brilliant.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    Yes. Sometimes, I feel someone has expressed something perfectly and I just don't have anything I can add to it to expand or further the discussion, but I want to applaud them for having been brilliant.
    +1 This

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    While the presence of a "vote down" option was an attempt to move the community toward a greater degree of self-moderation, it proved to be too much of a temptation for some who just began down-voting innocent bystanders for kicks. Fortunately, we've seen a noticeable decline in trolling / intentional antagonism since we left Huddler, so those concerns are somewhat moot now. Consequently, I don't see any need for a "down vote" option.

An "up vote" option, however, is a helpful instrument in adjusting the quality vs. quantity scale. Whereas post counts were rewarded in the past (a daily "top" poster list on the front page), that rarely expressed the quality of the post and instead, just signified a lot of posts. Rewarding posts that are thoughtful, developed, articulate, that move beyond single word responses / quick-fire posts etc., seems wise to me. I'm all for the cultivation of more rigorous discussion, but that "liking" could be for anything, really.
    Sounds reasonable to me
    He boiled for our sins.