Code of Conduct

Default Thumbs up & down buttons - discussion regarding the use of.

I wouldn't count on ever seeing the Huddler data restored - I am guessing that will be a lost 7 months.

EDIT: I was not the thread starter - this post was not about thumbs up or thumbs down and was about the 20th post in a tread -- Ask the moderators why it is here - not me.
    Last edited by dougczar; 8th November 2013 at 12:11 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Will have I my fifth star back?

Ursula objected to the previous post because it spreads negative vibes.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

I would just post like the clappers Francolino, to be on the safe side.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    Ursula objected to the previous post because it spreads negative vibes.
    How interesting. Going to the 'Post Thanks/Like' tab on your profile reveals you to be the objector anyway, so you needn't have told us!

Blog Entries

How interesting. Going to the 'Post Thanks/Like' tab on your profile reveals you to be the objector anyway, so you needn't have told us!
    Wrong ! Everybody is hidden under the label HIDDEN CONTENT. I don't believe in putting down an OBJECTION and not standing up for it.

BTW, members can follow my example, or not. It's up to you. Just hitting the OBJECTION button is leaving things in a fog.

Wrong ! Everybody is hidden under the label HIDDEN CONTENT. I don't believe in putting down an OBJECTION and not standing up for it.
    He is right. You can openly see to which post someone objected if you visit his profile (category Post Thanks/Likes).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

I don't understand. How would you know in whose Profile go looking??

(You only knew to go to my Profile because I voiced my opinion in the very next post.)

Without that, nobody knows WHO that Hidden Content is !!

I rapidly identified two of the three objectors to my last, deliberately provocative post in the thread 'a note on objections'. It isn't difficult!

I don't understand. How would you know in whose Profile go looking??

(You only knew to go to my Profile because I voiced my opinion in the very next post.)

Without that, nobody knows WHO that Hidden Content is !!
    If you are strong willed to find out who objected you will just go looking. Of course you don't see it at first glance, but given the fact that your profile always shows to what you objected this function is rather not so anonymous as it was thought of in the first place.

Default Thumbs up & down buttons - use of.

These posts have been transferred from another thread which was started in respect of a different issue.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Thumbs up & down buttons - discussion regarding the use of.

So, supposing a member gets an OBJECTION. That member then goes looking (fishing) in various members' profiles, the one he/she suspects. Perhaps it can be timed and assumed that way.
    Remember the Seinfeld episode, where they said, "When you ASSume, you make an ass out of you and me".

So, supposing a member gets an OBJECTION. That member then goes looking (fishing) in various members' profiles, the one he/she suspects. Perhaps it can be timed and assumed that way.
    Remember the Seinfeld episode, where they said, "When you ASSume, you make an ass out of you and me".
    Judging from the first startled reactions by members who got an objection I suppose that's exactly what some of them might wanna do. (After complaining and begging to stop the "anonymous" objection system, of course.)
    Last edited by Tristram; 7th November 2013 at 03:26 PM.

With the removal of the Off Topic section, this could be a great new game for all those mourning its loss: 'Hunt the Objector'.

The 'objector' should be named.

You can then enter into a personal discussion with them.

That will liven things up

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

This is getting convoluted!

Are we now able to opt out of having a thumbs down button on our posts?

*Eyes Marais' posts with envy.*

There a should be a button stating 'I object to this poster'

Some people seem way too obsessed with "Objecting" to a post. Maybe I'm a little more thick skinned, but I'm not going to go clicking buttons every time I read something that I disagree with or that give off a negative vibe or alters my zen state of happiness or whatever.

If someone posts something I disagree with, I will "Reply with quote" and voice my disagreement directly quoting the person - that functionality has already been in place all along. Why click Object and then start a new post explaining why I objected, then spend 10 posts talking about how I'm cool enough to own up to it, etc...

This thread is royally screwed up. The 1st post has nothing at all to do with the thread title.

Yeah, I'm not quite sure what's going on here either, JH. Doug, did you start this one about data loss?

The posts were moved here from a thread in this section started by another member in respect of a totally different matter, D.I. - we are trying to keep one issue per thread in this section in order to make life easier for the tech team - and the O.P.'s of the other threads!
    Last edited by lpp; 9th November 2013 at 09:01 AM.

Ah, thanks lpp!

Doug, I think the object button was designed less to respond to disagreements, and more as a way for the community to express dislike over posts that are unbecoming to the site's general focus or perhaps posts that demean groups of people and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Yeah, I'm not quite sure what's going on here either, JH. Doug, did you start this one about data loss?
    Nope - I didn't start this thread -- my post (which now looks like #1) - was really nowhere near the top. Basenotes butcher job looks like. Like LPP said - looks like completely different posts in different threads were shuffled up like playing cards and placed anywhere. *sigh*

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, thanks lpp!

Doug, I think the object button was designed less to respond to disagreements, and more as a way for the community to express dislike over posts that are unbecoming to the site's general focus or perhaps posts that demean groups of people and whatnot.
    You don't need to explain it to me - I was responding to the dozens of posts (or however many are left now after the reshuffling) discussing how it could be / should be / might be used, etc...

Gotcha. I've got some catching up to do here, it seems.

This is the unfortunate thread from which they were removed.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...ifth-star-back

Apologies, Dougczar - disentangling these things is an inaccurate business!

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    This is the unfortunate thread from which they were removed.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...ifth-star-back

Apologies, Dougczar - disentangling these things is an inaccurate business!
    No problem - I'm in a bit of a snarky mood I guess. Sorry.

No worries!

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Some people seem way too obsessed with "Objecting" to a post. Maybe I'm a little more thick skinned, but I'm not going to go clicking buttons every time I read something that I disagree with or that give off a negative vibe or alters my zen state of happiness or whatever.

If someone posts something I disagree with, I will "Reply with quote" and voice my disagreement directly quoting the person - that functionality has already been in place all along. Why click Object and then start a new post explaining why I objected, then spend 10 posts talking about how I'm cool enough to own up to it, etc...
    Totally agree. Be upfront about your objection. Don't hide under a veil of anonymity-- what's the point?

It rubs the lotion on its skin and does so when told.

Blog Entries

Well, you see there are actually three (3) levels of disagreement that this software provides -

One - just voice your disagreement in the next post with quoting the previous contribution. This disagreement is usually mild.
    Two - hit the Object button. The post that you disagree with is somehow distasteful.
    Three - hit the Report symbol. That is for reporting Spam and something really distasteful.

In order to have a flow of conversation, the first method (One) is really desirable.

Not to reopen a can of worms, but I'd really like to at least have the thumbs up button back. Sometimes I want to recognize a good post and thank a member for it, but don't want to bump a thread just to say "yes, good post!"

I don't object to the object button but I am pretty sure it's possible to just have the + and not the -, we have a version of it on another vBulletin forum I frequent.

Has this feature been shelved or is it still under consideration?
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

JiveHippo "likes" the above ^ post.

Given that some of the most vocal detractors left as soon as they were finished vocally detracting, I'm sure it could be opened for discussion again.

I like both the above posts!
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

I agree, I miss having a 'like' option.

While the presence of a "vote down" option was an attempt to move the community toward a greater degree of self-moderation, it proved to be too much of a temptation for some who just began down-voting innocent bystanders for kicks. Fortunately, we've seen a noticeable decline in trolling / intentional antagonism since we left Huddler, so those concerns are somewhat moot now. Consequently, I don't see any need for a "down vote" option.

An "up vote" option, however, is a helpful instrument in adjusting the quality vs. quantity scale. Whereas post counts were rewarded in the past (a daily "top" poster list on the front page), that rarely expressed the quality of the post and instead, just signified a lot of posts. Rewarding posts that are thoughtful, developed, articulate, that move beyond single word responses / quick-fire posts etc., seems wise to me. I'm all for the cultivation of more rigorous discussion, but that "liking" could be for anything, really.
    Last edited by deadidol; 28th January 2014 at 08:04 PM.

...Rewarding posts that are thoughtful, developed, and articulate, that move beyond single word responses / quick-fire posts etc., seems wise to me. I'm all for the cultivation of more rigorous discussion, but that "liking" could be for anything, really.
    Yes. Sometimes, I feel someone has expressed something perfectly and I just don't have anything I can add to it to expand or further the discussion, but I want to applaud them for having been brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    Yes. Sometimes, I feel someone has expressed something perfectly and I just don't have anything I can add to it to expand or further the discussion, but I want to applaud them for having been brilliant.
    +1 This

While the presence of a "vote down" option was an attempt to move the community toward a greater degree of self-moderation, it proved to be too much of a temptation for some who just began down-voting innocent bystanders for kicks. Fortunately, we've seen a noticeable decline in trolling / intentional antagonism since we left Huddler, so those concerns are somewhat moot now. Consequently, I don't see any need for a "down vote" option.

An "up vote" option, however, is a helpful instrument in adjusting the quality vs. quantity scale. Whereas post counts were rewarded in the past (a daily "top" poster list on the front page), that rarely expressed the quality of the post and instead, just signified a lot of posts. Rewarding posts that are thoughtful, developed, articulate, that move beyond single word responses / quick-fire posts etc., seems wise to me. I'm all for the cultivation of more rigorous discussion, but that "liking" could be for anything, really.
    Sounds reasonable to me