Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ayala Moriel frags

This is an interesting line that I have not yet pursued. A few items are being discounted right now and I'm tempted to order.
    Does anyone have experience with those perfumes? They're natural so..worth it? {Sillage, longevity, beauty}

What first caught my eye {specifically} was "Film Noir".

It states " base notes only - dark chocolate, patchouli and myrrh.' Now, the chocolate may be too sweet, a negative for me. I love all those particular notes...but together? Not so sure.

Would appreciate any feedback on the Ayala Moriel line, especially "Film Noir" if it's possible!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ayala Moriel frags

My introduction to this line was via a sample of Orcas (thanks to SaNielsen's generosity) and I loved it.

I purchased an 8-sample pack a few months ago and just this past weekend tried one of them, Bon Zai, which is evolves from citrus to juniper to woods to a clean vetiver base.

Longevity is not marathonic, but it hasn't disappointed me.

The line is definitely worth a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Beautiful perfumes, but like many naturals, not terribly long-lasting.

My favourites out of those l've tried were Gigi (gardenia), White Potion (tuberose & coconut) & the sadly discontinued Moonbreath (heady floral amber).

l saw those discounts too, & there's a few more l'm tempted to try. Those 4ml sprays seem very reasonable!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I've tried some of them, I agree the longevity (and sillage/projection too) is not the best, but it also depends on the fragrance. The stand-out for me is Vetiver Racinettes, and this also has the best longevity of all I tried (5-6 hours). It's a deep, sober scent and fairly rich for a natural scent.

I did try Film Noir, and it's not exactly sweet in the sense that we're used to these days (it's not rich and syrup-y) - the chocolate has more of a cocoa powder feel. It smells a little like sweet earth and cocoa powder. Her florals are also very nice, the ones I remember liking were Treazon (spicy tuberose - this is possibly one of her best scents, but it's a bit more expensive than her regular line), Les Nuages de Joie Jaune (nice, simple, bright mimosa) and Lovender (lavender).

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, for your responses, reviews and opinions!

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite is Ayalitta, the Green Chypre. I've bought many of her fragrances. Look at my wardrobe under "owned" to see the listing and ratings of all the ones I consider full-bottle-worthy. There are many. She's an extremely talented perfumer. Go to my profile and read "all reviews" to see what I said about them.

Film Noir struck a nice balance between patchouli and chocolate, managing to smell delicious without being edible. It reminded me of the smell of cocoa shell mulch (which you use on rose gardens.)

No all-natural perfume is going to project as well as conventional perfumes with synthetics. Longevity is always an issue with all-naturals. They can be breathtakingly beautiful, but some of them approach aromatherapy in terms of how long they last. This is the trade-off you get for giving up the chemicals.

The only objection I have is the big price tag. I started buying Ayala Moriel's perfumes when they cost $110 for 9 ml. Now the regular price is $150. There are less than 30 ml in an ounce, so that's about .33 ounces. That means a cost of $493 per ounce.

Why? Do the absolutes and essential oils she uses cost so much more than those sold at Eden Botanicals, John Steele, Liberty Natural Products, or White Lotus? If they do, then it's justified. And they smell wonderful. However, it's a high price for something that you have to apply repeatedly, like every all-natural perfume I've ever used and loved.

Perfume is usually 20-30% aroma ingredient and 70-80% carrier. If the highest-priced ingredient in a perfume costs $230 per ounce (like sandalwood) and that ingredient takes up the entire 30% of the aroma ingredients in the fragrance (which it doesn't) still, the total cost of the sandalwood in that fragrance would be only $69. (Besides, most essential oils come closer to costing $10 per ounce.) Yes, perfumers should be paid for the time they took creating the fragrance, the cost of the rest of the materials and packaging, and advertising, and I'm no one to say how much that should be.

However, they seem to be shooting themselves in the foot to charge so much that people just turn away when they see the prices.

And yes, I'm open to a discussion with the perfumers about this here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You're right purplebird, they are eye-wateringly expensive.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks purplebird, for your review & opinions!

And I agree, that the only thing stopping me from sample ordering before was actually the prices for a natural perfume , even for the samples they are a little extreme. I figured that since they are naturals, the sillage would be somewhat muted and the longevity is what I'd expect from a natural. A trade off I guess, if going natural is ones aim. I'm not opposed to dropping mega bucks for a great scent, which I have, many time before. A natural perfume would certainly have to be outstanding for me to do so!

Since so many perfumes are offered, I would suspect that the raw materials are bought quantity, wholesale, making them well below the price point of Eden Botanicals etc. So, the higher cost is the price tag for the creative endeavor?

Maybe the end desire is that the perfumers intent is meant for a certain genre. Even in other commodities, if you want organic & natural, the price tag is higher.

Thanks again for your review!

Post Thanks / Like

Did you read all of my reviews? On my profile? Because I have used and loved many of her perfumes.

My "owned" list did not turn out correctly in the move to this site. It doesn't show all of the Ayala Moriel perfumes I have bought. I have to go and correct it.

Out of her perfumes, I have bought full bottles of: Ayalitta, Democracy, Grin, Indigo, Palas Atena, Pisces, Cancer, Capricorn, Democracy, L'Herbe Rouge, Lovender, Scorpio, Sutl, Yasmin, and Zohar. As you can see, if I felt these were good enough to spend $110 for a 9 ml bottle, then they really were excellent fragrances in my opinion. I was disappointed when the cost went up to $150.

I have bought samples of: Aquarius, Arbitrary, Autumn, Bonzai, Cabaret, Charisma, Coralle, Espionage, Fete d'Hiver, Film Noir, Finjan, Gemini, Guilt, InCarnation, Kinmokousi, L'Ecume de Jour, Leo, Libra, Magnolia Petal, Megumi, Razala, Rosebud, Sagittarius, Song of Songs, Tamya, Taurus, Tirza, Viola, Virgo, and White Potion.

Yes, I know that she now sells a less expensive EDP version, but I think all-natural fragrances don't need to be any less potent. Almost all natural perfumes have sillage and longevity issues. They tend to go on strong and then disappear, except for a few base notes. I wonder if natural perfumes can be coupled with timed-release technology (such as micro-beads that you can rub to release scent) and therefore improve their wearing time.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 11th November 2013 at 06:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I just finished reading most of the reviews the you wrote on Ayala Moriel frags along with some other perfume reviews of yours along the way. (I also thought Luctor et Emergo was play-doh, for me, from top notes to drydown. lol. But some say otherwise. Don't get that at all!)

A handful of the AM scents that you wrote of soumd interesting enough {to me} to sample them. So, at this point I'm still in the process of making a list and still picking & choosing which ones I'd like to try first. Film Noir sounds wonderful- I'm not a big Angel fan either.

I have the same dilemma with Ava Luxe perfumes! So many offered that sound very nice and at 25 bucks a pop (5ml) just to sample, it comes down to having to be very precise as to what to order. You could run through a small fortune just sampling all of those also!

I'll more than likely order the perfume version, for the reason that you stated- a natural perfume doesn't need to be less potent! I so agree with that! And it really would be a great idea if somehow, naturals could have great sillage and more longevity than they do now. I can't say I've ever heard of any natural perfumer who has accomplished anything close to that!

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you and I can agree to share some Ava Luxe samples! At 25 per, I'm not going to go it alone. PM me a list of the ones you're interested in trying. Maybe some more people would be interested. It depends on whether we can all decide which to sample.

Another natural perfumer whose products I love is La Via del Profumo. Some of his fragrances include base notes that enable them to stay around longer than others. Some are shorter-lived. One thing I like about his marketing is that he prices each fragrance based on its cost to produce. That means you can choose from a range of prices. Take a look at his website. Reviews of his products are posted in the directory under his house name. (Among the ones I like best are Pheromone for Women, Gringo, Bazaar, Sharif, Oasis, Milano Cafe, and Morning Blossom.)

Frankly, I think triggered-release polymer capsules would help natural perfumes last longer -- but, then, they are made of synthetics, so natural perfumers might be averse to using them.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 11th November 2013 at 06:52 PM.

Splash Bottles Suck
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Maybe you and I can agree to share some Ava Luxe samples! At 25 per, I'm not going to go it alone. PM me a list of the ones you're interested in trying. Maybe some more people would be interested. It depends on whether we can all decide which to sample.
    I definitely think there's some who would be purplebird, myself included. Someone started a thread on the old huddler site not long before the switch back, commenting on the difficulty of sampling this line. I think it was Danieq. Many who commented in the thread were interested in sampling Ava Luxe.

Sorry for the OT.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post

Another natural perfumer whose products I love is La Via del Profumo. Some of his fragrances include base notes that enable them to stay around longer than others. Some are shorter-lived. One thing I like about his marketing is that he prices each fragrance based on its cost to produce. That means you can choose from a range of prices. Take a look at his website. Reviews of his products are posted in the directory under his house name. (Among the ones I like best are Pheromone for Women, Gringo, Bazaar, Sharif, Oasis, Milano Cafe, and Morning Blossom.)
    Yes, I've ordered from him before, (AbdesSalaamAttars) and wear some of his offerings. Love his single notes- Myrrh (Mirra), Frankincense (Incenso) and Mysore Sandalwood (Sandalo). Great scents alone or combining with others.
    Another line is from Maria Candida Gentile:

http://www.mariacandidagentile.com/index.php

reviews are polar
    Last edited by Meow7; 12th November 2013 at 02:03 PM.