Code of Conduct

Default Airplane Checked Baggage & Perfume???

I will be traveling by air shortly and haven't yet done this with perfume. Can you bring perfume on the plane? Must it be checked? Does the lack of pressurization in the luggage department result in leaks?

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Airplane Checked Baggage & Perfume???

Quick guidelines for carry-ons: http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/3-1-1-carry-ons

I've never had a problem checking them, however, and frequently travel with several full bottles in my luggage ...wrapped safely in sweaters and socks, of course, but they're just fine in cargo-hold.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

summer means fireflys

I've not had problems with full bottles in my checked luggage either ... I cushion them well with other clothes, like Evangeline. I have put a few decants in with my makeup in a regular makeup bag and not had problems with that either. But every airport is different and some TSAs are stricter than others. If it is a decant that you do not want to lose, better to check it.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Personally have never had problems with checked fragrances, and have checked boatloads of fragrances.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Do you all typically carry small atomizers in your carry on's as well without problems? I see that it says you can have up to 3.4oz so it shouldn't be a problem, just wondered if that works for most people.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Don't forget if you do carry them on-they must be 3.4 oz and smaller..
    As mentioned above some are stricter than others..

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    Do you all typically carry small atomizers in your carry on's as well without problems? I see that it says you can have up to 3.4oz so it shouldn't be a problem, just wondered if that works for most people.
    Carry one large bottle in my hand luggage up to 100ml. Have never carried small atomizers, but don't see a problem with it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

So interesting that 3.4 oz is now considered 'safe' on a commercial flight but a 'hazard' when traveling as a commercially or privately airmailed package. Magic? Alchemy? BS?
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

As others were saying, for the carry-on each bottle of liquid should be no bigger than 100ml, but you can bring more than one. Theoretical all liquids should fit in a quart sized bag, but this rule is not enforced. Do take all liquids out of the bag when going through the detector, otherwise, they'll ask you to open the bag and check.

No limits in the checked bag.

cacio

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Theoretical all liquids should fit in a quart sized bag, but this rule is not enforced.
    Cacio - I used to travel with a clear plastic Khiel's bag that is slightly oversized. I didn't have an issue for a while, but once was given a quart-sized ziplock and forced to repack my stuff into it.

To be safe, I would suggest getting an actual quart ziploc and putting all fluids, etc. into it. I've done this many times with decants, and will have one leak sometimes. When I buy perfume while traveling, I pack the boxes in my suitcase and check it, unless they're expensive. Last trip I bought 2 100ml Amouages, so I put them alone in a ziploc in my carryon and tossed my toiletries in my checked bag.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

No issue with bringing them into the cabin bout they can leak.
    I've had perfumes leak a bit many times.

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    Yes, l have travelled with small atomisers both in my checked luggage & in my carry-on bag, with no problems. As long as the ones in your carry-on are in a clear ziploc bag, there shouldn't be an issue. l haven't had any leak so far.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Just wrapped them up in clothes and hopefully won't be hijacked by airport baggage handlers working in conveyor belts: this is what you should be worrying about. Yes for personal use, do as above statements , as taking 100 ml the max and allowable because owner has property on hand!

Obviously for hauling, you will have to wrap new juice with clothing articles in suitcase(Best advise and get a good lock to put on if permitted to avoid baggage handlers from getting 5Finger discount : or "better yet you can get DUCK TAPE and wrap Haul all over your body ...but then again if caught , you will getting cavity search"....Joking of course ...lol
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I always travel with fragrances in my check in bags. Never had any problems. Wouldn't want to take any chances and have to get rid of my fragrances during TSA searches.

I have flown a few times with my small atomizer. Just make sure to have the correct ml and also have it in a clear zip bag. I have never put my full bottles in with checked luggage so I cant vouch for how safe that option is, but a few people on here say they have done this with no problems.

Thanks to all for the very helpful feedback!

Also know that the less fluid there is in a container (e.g. a mostly empty bottle) the more air there is to expand and cause a leak. So a mostly full bottle is probably ok, while the air in a mostly empty bottle is very likely to push out the last remnant of your fragrance into the atomizer portion.

I always carry mine on board, less than a 100ml incase they get stolen in my case.