Code of Conduct

Question Would I like Habit Rouge?

I've heard so much about this fragrance I'm tempted to spring for the EDT or EDP. Is this a safe blind buy? My current favorite fragrances are the following: LIDGE, DHI, Eau Sauvage Parfum, Pure Havane, TDH EDP, Pure Malt, and Rive Gauche. Does Habit Rouge share any similarities with these fragrances?

Default Re: Would I like Habit Rouge?

Yes you would like either of those but you should get the EDP.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I would sample 1st

Yes. it's a great scent. (226)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I would never recommend HR as a blind buy, but based on what you seem to like, I would be pretty sure you will like it. Probably. Maybe.

Because you like Eau Sauvage edp, and Rive Gauche, I'd say you will probably like HR. A big lemon opening, with leathery undertones. A bit powdery, and decidedly old school.

You may like it, but be prepared for a very sharp lemon opening, powder throughout, and an old school vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Because you like Eau Sauvage edp, and Rive Gauche, I'd say you will probably like HR. A big lemon opening, with leathery undertones. A bit powdery, and decidedly old school.
    Quote Originally Posted by Switch245 View Post
    You may like it, but be prepared for a very sharp lemon opening, powder throughout, and an old school vibe.
    Agree on both counts.

Basenotes Plus

Based on what you like you will more than likely react positively to HR. However, you really need to like the old school vibe. My wife think it smells "pissy" and although I don't I can see where she is coming from. If you really don't care what others think then go for it. I would, but be prepared for a few negative responses from those who really don't understand (or care) what a classically good fragrance is.
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it?

Basenotes Plus

I would say no - get a sample first. I've read so many great reviews of HR that I ended up buying the long ago discontinued, vintage EDC (splash) and EDP, both big bottles, completely blindly. While not horrible scents in themselves, they are NOT my cup of tea. I literally tried both of these twice, and put them back in original boxes and in the back of my fragrance closet, to be either completely forgotten, or perhaps to resurface one day when I feel like posting something on eBay or in the For Sale forum.

Guerlainista

Default Would I like Habit Rouge?

Quote Originally Posted by Unadan View Post
    I've heard so much about this fragrance I'm tempted to spring for the EDT or EDP. Is this a safe blind buy? My current favorite fragrances are the following: LIDGE, DHI, Eau Sauvage Parfum, Pure Havane, TDH EDP, Pure Malt, and Rive Gauche. Does Habit Rouge share any similarities with these fragrances?
    I wear Habit Rouge a lot, and I like a few of your favorites, but I don't think it's very similar at all to any of them. You've got mostly gourmands with a fougere and a woodyamber (Iso E Super) there - all very modern and pretty mainstream.

Habit Rouge is an old school oriental - big citric opening, floral amber patchouli leather heart, and a creamy vanillic dry down - nothing at all like the ones you like.

I recommend you sample first.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It depends: formal, long lasting (vintage), complez as traditional Guerlains are like, and very very powder. It this is what you are looking for, it is yourse. If you prefer contemporary ones, well, this is not one of them.

I strongly suggest you to try it through a sample and a full wear beore buying a bottle.

You can try HR L'eau. It is a contemporary version of the original one: shares the sme othe notes of the orginal one but it is more sundued. It lasts a long time even thugh it s a legere.

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    You can try HR L'eau. It is a contemporary version of the original one: shares the sme othe notes of the orginal one but it is more sundued. It lasts a long time even thugh it s a legere.
    Yeah, this is worth checking out. The top note accord is reminiscent of Habit Rouge, but then the heart and base are more like a typical modern masculine - aquatic fresh woody, etc..

Like most fragrances, you'll never know until you smell it a few times, and preferably over a good period of time.

It's so good. So so good. The vintage is reallY different from the current.
    I prefer the current edp to the current edt.
    But prefer the vintage to current.

for swap/sale:

Most likely yes, considering the fragrance tastes. Thus, a recommendable purchase in my opinion.

Most definitely sample first as imo this is not a candidate for a blind buy.

difficult not to like it....

Looking at your current wears -- I think you need to test HR first

Like everyone has stated "Sample first". Only you will know if you like it.

I like (well, more like love) big powerful orientals like A*Men, Le Male, LIDG, Aventus, and my favorite Straight to Heaven. Even Fan di Fendi PH, which gets grilled on here, works great on me. But I could never warm up to Habit Rouge no matter how hard I tried.

I admired the scent, but I just didn't think it was a good fit for me at my still-young age, so I swapped it. If you're in your 40s or 50s, give it a shot. If you're in your 20s, stay away.
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Based on your tastes, I would recommend Heritage over Habit Rouge.

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Yep HR get crazy wear n Luv here ., more times then others: probably "might" get the EDP
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I thoroughly enjoy all of the fragrances you've listed aside from Rive Gauche, which I haven't got my nose on yet. That said, I strongly dislike Habit Rouge Eau de Toilette, which I bought blind. I cannot speak for the parfum concentration, however, I would suggest sampling first if you have the opportunity to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    I like (well, more like love) big powerful orientals like A*Men, Le Male, LIDG, Aventus, and my favorite Straight to Heaven. Even Fan di Fendi PH, which gets grilled on here, works great on me. But I could never warm up to Habit Rouge no matter how hard I tried.

I admired the scent, but I just didn't think it was a good fit for me at my still-young age, so I swapped it. If you're in your 40s or 50s, give it a shot. If you're in your 20s, stay away.
    "It smells like Grandpa" > 14 yo daughter.
    "It smells like talcum powder my Grandfather used" > 48 yo wife
    "Why do you always like scents that are so dated?" > 18 yo daughter
    "Mmm, I don't know" > 7 yo daughter

Yes, it is true. For me it is an amazing scent - I am 50. Guess why? My Granddad wore it, it was his signature scent. Plus, I find that the powdery notes are wonderful.

Now, when I was 25 I wore a vintage EdT by R&G called Souvenir Royale dating from the 1930's. Well, it fitted the way my friends and me were like.

So it can be the signature scent of a 20 yo guy who wants to stay away from the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by insomniac View Post
    Based on your tastes, I would recommend Heritage over Habit Rouge.

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk
    Exactly. I like HR...nobody I wear it around cares for it though. HERITAGE is similar, just not as loud. I have the stuff in your favorites list, and nothing compares to HR.
    "All of my 2012 batches of Aventus smell EXACTLY the same...even the grey market one with an Arabic lot sticker on the bottom of the bottle." - BT260

I just picked up a bottle of Habit Rouge, 1.7 oz. it's an older bottle and the box says 1980, is there anyone out there that knows this formulation? image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here is another photo of my new Habit Rouge.image.jpgimage.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

Guerlainista

That's the good stuff! Earliest version of the EdT. And it came with the box - if it's been stored in the box the top notes should be good.

I have a few just like this that I use when I travel.

Hi,

I was wondering if you can describe how yours smells? Mine smells nothing like my new one, it almost smells off somehow, sour. I hope it didn't turn, but if it did I guess its still a good collectors item. I saw a few on E bay that look to be from the same era. If its spoiled I guess I'll have to source out another one.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I'm going to look around the wholesalers on wednesday for another bottle. Does anyone know if this formulation is good? I may have seen it last week. image.jpg
    Last edited by Omega1185; 20th November 2013 at 05:02 AM.

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by Omega1185 View Post
    Hi,

I was wondering if you can describe how yours smells? Mine smells nothing like my new one, it almost smells off somehow, sour. I hope it didn't turn, but if it did I guess its still a good collectors item. I saw a few on E bay that look to be from the same era. If its spoiled I guess I'll have to source out another one.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I'm going to look around the wholesalers on wednesday for another bottle. Does anyone know if this formulation is good? I may have seen it last week. image.jpg
    I have gotten a couple of bottles of vintage Habit Rouge that have turned a bit. Usually they are bottles that came without a box. Habit Rouge seems to be particularly susceptible to top note damage when exposed to light. The ones I've bought that came with a box have always been good, but you never know,

It shouldn't smell like the new version, but there shouldn't be any sour note in the opening. The immediate effect after spraying is bright and citrusy but with a strong dose of sweet vanilla underneath. As it dries down a bit, the citrus fades and it gets a rich wordy floral component with a hint of something animalic and bit of leather.

By comparison, the new version is cleaner and less organic. It's recognizably the same fragrance, but digital compared to the analog original,

The bottles I've gotten that were off smelled off immediately and obviously. The opening is where most of the damage is done. That lovely bright citrus accord turns rank. Often it will smell fine after about 30m or so, but badly damaged HR can be a total loss. Even if only the top notes are gone, that usually kills it for me. I love the opening,mans hate to miss that part, so I'll probably never use my damaged topnote bottles.

The box you show above was used up until 2011 I think. The ones I have like that smell like the current red box.

If you want to try your luck with another vintage, the EdT version that came after the zigzag box one is still great, and very close to the older one. It looks like the attached - red box, gold panel; gold cap on the bottle. Since these are newer, the chances of getting one in good condition should be better - but don't buy a box less one!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm with Jack on this - sample first: you have nothing to lose.

I'll try this one on the skin for a couple of hours and see what happens. Perhaps the sour notes are the citrus, I really don't know because the new one does not smell like that. If that fails then I'll try E bay. I counted no less than four similar bottles of edt, cologne, and aftershave that appear to be from the same era, and if they aren't spoiled then it is more than worth it; fine art is seldom cheap.

- - - Updated - - -

Sensitive to light? That might explain it. Even though it was sold as an unused bottle, I noted that there was a little missing so perhaps it was used as a tester at some point. The gentleman who sold it to me was not honest either, he claimed that a bottle of Cartier Santos Eau De Sport was the latest thing from Cartier, when in point of fact it was released in 1989. It's too bad, because they have some very nice old colognes scattered around that place, including an old bottle of Mitsouko that I will probably buy, it's of the era where the packaging has a gold box at the top of the front. Its the only vintage one, the others are all the latest formulation.image.jpg

Guerlainista

Mitsouko is pretty light sensitive too - again the top notes are re first to go. Make sure you sniff it before you buy if possible. On the other hand, brand new Mitsouko is good again! If you can find a batch code that starts with 3#, where # = a letter from the 2nd half of the alphabet, it should be good. I have a 3Rxx that is very good - a little plasticky in the opening, but it settles down beautifully.

HR edp is a soft, not very challenging or interesting, sweet scent with a satisfying base. It is hard to find much to get excited about, but also is very dificult to find anything wrong with it either. It feels a little out of date and old fashioned to me so I would never recommend it to someone without them testing it. The edp version is a very nice classic fragrance. test it.

I'll try this one on the skin for a couple of hours and see what happens. Perhaps the sour notes are the citrus, I really don't know because the new one does not smell like that. If that fails then I'll try E bay. I counted no less than four similar bottles of edt, cologne, and aftershave that appear to be from the same era, and if they aren't spoiled then it is more than worth it; fine art is seldom cheap.

- - - Updated - - -

Sensitive to light? That might explain it. Even though it was sold as an unused bottle, I noted that there was a little missing so perhaps it was used as a tester at some point. The gentleman who sold it to me was not honest either, he claimed that a bottle of Cartier Santos Eau De Sport was the latest thing from Cartier, when in point of fact it was released in 1989. It's too bad, because they have some very nice old colognes scattered around that place, including an old bottle of Mitsouko that I will probably buy, it's of the era where the packaging has a gold box at the top of the front. Its the only vintage one, the others are all the latest formulation.image.jpg

I have the one in your picture. Its from the mid 90s.
    It doesn't smell significantly better than the current formulation.
    I'm certain it smells very different from the formulations preceding it though.

for swap/sale:

Mid-90's? So this is before Guerlain started to replace natural ingredients with lab created alternatives? I might buy it just to have it. I read somewhere that it was Charlie Chaplin's signiature scent!

- - - Updated - - -

I'll have to find the EDP version. I currently use the new formulation, and although I've run into the occasional person who says "It smells like old man!" I love the stuff. Every time I hear that I always ask what their opinion is on how a man is supposed to smell? And I usually get a response mentioning some sweet gourmand fragrance or even once, "Joop," which I hate with every fiber of my being. I'd rather wear my Habit Rouge or my other two back up colognes, YSL Pour Homme and Paco Rabanne.

Actually, I believe Charlie Chaplin wore Mitsouko.

Edit: Oops, guess we're discussing Mitsouko now.
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 22nd November 2013 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    By comparison, the new version is cleaner and less organic. It's recognizably the same fragrance, but digital compared to the analog original,
    This is an excellent analogy! Not just for Habit Rouge, but for so many reformulated (ex-)wonders.

- - - Updated - - -

It's too bad, because they have some very nice old colognes scattered around that place, including an old bottle of Mitsouko that I will probably buy, it's of the era where the packaging has a gold box at the top of the front. Its the only vintage one, the others are all the latest formulation.image.jpg
    Be careful with this type of gold/yellow box. Mitsouko went through a rough period in the mid-2000s, and juice from that era would have come in a box like this. As others have said, you'd be better off buying a bottle from 2013.

What happened with Mitsouko in the mid-2000's?

It's a long story! In short, the fragrance was tinkered around with for a few years to significantly reduce ingredients restricted by IFRA regulations - of which oakmoss was the most important in this case. It went through a bad patch until around 2007, when the perfumer Edouard Flchier was brought in to effect some kind of damage limitation. The results were broadly successful, but it wasn't until Guerlain started to use a new type of oakmoss, with its irritant molecule removed, in spring 2012 that Mitsouko truly began to look like her old self once more. It seems that batches from this year are even better.

I don't think HR is a safe blind buy at all. To me, it basically smells like bergamot oil. It's powdery, musky, aldehydic(sp?), it smells like something from a century ago. Not that I would know, but if I had to guess.. Guerlain has much better stuff, like Vetiver.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Habit Rouge grew on me, but then again I have a facination with Guerlain colognes and perfumes, they're very complex scents.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. You just helped me decide a christmas gift for a friend.

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    This is an excellent analogy! Not just for Habit Rouge, but for so many reformulated (ex-)wonders.
    I know. It's so sad. Everything has been standardized and domesticated. All the messy organicness, the emotion - has been stripped away. We're left with cleaner remakes, more modern, more in sync with the times. But they're left a bit heartless and disengaged as a result.

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    ... [Mitsouko] went through a bad patch until around 2007, when the perfumer Edouard Flchier was brought in to effect some kind of damage limitation...
    Wait - "Une Rose" Edouard Flchier? That guy's a rock star in my book. So this version stood until Wassers restoration job a couple of years ago? Does it smell chyprish? I've smelled a Mitsouko that seemed like a fruity floral, but don't remember what it looked like.

Habit Rouge Legere (Light) is a great version if you like HR but are looking for it in a modern interpretation. I have sampled all versions, and have owned a bottle of the edt and Legere and my favorite is the Legere version from 2005. Difficult to find and even more so in obtaining a sample.

Wait - "Une Rose" Edouard Flchier? That guy's a rock star in my book. So this version stood until Wassers restoration job a couple of years ago? Does it smell chyprish? I've smelled a Mitsouko that seemed like a fruity floral, but don't remember what it looked like.
    Yes, the nose of Une Rose, Poison, Davidoff - and probably quite a few others. I think this was the version on sale until Wasser started adding 'new, improved' oakmoss, at the beginning of 2012. I came quite late to the Mitsouko party and decided to skip the 2000s altogether because of their murky history so I don't actually known this version, I'm afraid to say, but I imagine it lacked the 'bloom' of the original. There'll be lots of people on BN who know, it however - if they can be encouraged to chime in.

(apologies to HR followers for off-topic-ness)

No!

I find Habit Rouge musty, powdery and feminine and dull with no edge. Unfortunately i don't find anything positive to say about it, even if I try. (I haven't tried the old / vintage ones though)

Of your favourites i share your liking to DHI and Rive Gauche but not any other. My guess still is that you wouldn't like Habit Rouge.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Basenotes Institution

I liked Habit Rouge from the very first time I smelled it (I sampled the Eau de Cologne). Now I own more versions of it than any other scent in my wardrobe...well except for Shalimar. Eau de Cologne, Eau de Toilette (both vintage), Eau de Parfum, L'Extrait, a decant of the disco'd Dry plus vintage underarm Deodorant, Shower Gel and vintage After Shave lotion.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Sorry, off topic.

I know. It's so sad. Everything has been standardized and domesticated. All the messy organicness, the emotion - has been stripped away. We're left with cleaner remakes, more modern, more in sync with the times. But they're left a bit heartless and disengaged as a result.
    I wish that the current generation of perfume makers would just concentrate on making good perfume and not on what is politically correct and bring back the old ingredients.
    Last edited by Omega1185; 6th May 2014 at 06:09 PM.

I just bought Habit Rouge sport and tried it on, and it is a beautiful eau de toilette that does jnot dissapoint! Its much lighter and fresher than the original, which image.jpgworks really good in hot weather (gave it a go in ninety degrees heat) and the best part, I bought it for two bottles for 49 bucks! Can't beat that with a stick!

GREAT GREAT scent,I've worn it in the past,but the safest bet would be to sample it first,all noses are different,and Habit Rouge is DIFFERENT,in a GREAT way,in my opinion....

It's a wonderful scent, just make sure you sample both the EDT and EDP. This is the one and only scent where I actually prefer the EDT over the EDP.

I like all versions of Habit Rouge. For summers and a light scent, the EDT. For depth, the EDP and parfum.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.