Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Anyone ever worry about possible adverse effects from fragrance on your skin over many years?

I had a weird thought the other day….I used to work a production job when I was younger and I had my hands in a couple different cleaning agents for the better part of the day over the course of a couple years. I used a damp towel to apply said cleaning/polishing agents and was not offered any kind of glove or hand protection until much later on when it was found out that one of these liquids which was initially deemed safe, did in fact have some potentially hazardous effects!

I’m a young looking guy for my age,(38)but I look down at my hands and can’t believe how old and damaged they look…even my 24yr old GF constantly makes fun of my “old man” hands. Granted part of it is working with my hands a good part of my life, but all the strange little bumps never appeared until I had my hands exposed to these chemicals and subsequently went away after I moved up to a different part of the company.

So I ask you, fellow Basenoters….with all these new man made/synthetic chemicals and compounds that are used in modern day perfumery, do you ever worry about what could possibly be some of the potentially harmful side effects these could cause you in the long term?(mild skin issues, all the way up to cancer?) Because who knows just how safe some of these are, or the effects on/absorbing into the human skin?

Think about 5, 10, 20 yrs on down the road where a fragrance with synthetic molecules has been sitting on your skin(being absorbed?)2 to 12 hrs, 5-7 days a week. Am I just a paranoid weirdo, or has this though ever crossed anyone else’s mind?!lol

At any rate, I’m never gonna stop smelling good…just food for thought!

Default Re: Anyone ever worry about possible adverse effects from fragrance on your skin over many years?

I do think of these things sometimes. And who knows? Anything is possible i guess...

Default Re: Anyone ever worry about possible adverse effects from fragrance on your skin over many years?

The thought never enters my mind personally.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

It's not a worry for me - never seen evidence of skin deterioration due to perfume (except in one or two people I know who are allergic), and I think that any possible health ill-effects are negligible compared to the other stuff we're exposed to all the time - bad air quality, food that's full of preservatives, etc.

The internet will provide you with plenty to scare the pants off you about the harmful effects of perfume and pretty much every other product you could buy or use, so unless you're prepared to live in a bubble, take it all with a grain of salt and think rationally for yourself.

There was a thread about this on the Huddler site before we switched over. So it will reappear at some point.

There are those who are concerned about these things, so you're not the only one. But I don't think there's ever going to be a definite answer on it because there are simply too many variables that would go into the equation. Like smoking affects people differently, something like fragrance on skin is going to affect us all differently and individually as well. Thus, we all have to make our own personal decision about "risks," no matter how minimal.

I look at the whole issue rather simply.......there are a LOT of VERY old people walking around that have been wearing fragrances for decades, aren't there? So what does that tell you? And when I think that mankind has sprayed fragrances on the body for literally thousands of years, I'm not too concerned.

If it were truly THAT dangerous, I think we would have definitive PROOF by now, wouldn't we? And if it were significantly harmful, we should all personally know someone that was suffering deleterious effects from fragrances, shouldn't we? But I don't know anyone like that, nor have I ever heard of such a thing. So those are pretty good odds.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Angelique Encens, Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...emons-Batucada

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Angelique Encens, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

It has crossed my mind and I'm glad it did. I gave up smoking, this habit is not going anywhere.

We all have our vices, I would think a fragrance hobby would be one of the least harmful.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    The thought never enters my mind personally.
    Agree with hednic. Not a concern to me in the slightest.

In a word, no.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

!

My grandma is in her early 90s, she has been wearing fragrances, when they even had nitro musks, she is fine. I find that IFRA's war on natural raw materials is ridiculous, and replacing them with synthetic crap which they do deem safe but thats the way it is . Also comparing aromachemicals with house hold cleaners are very different things.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Not really. i have been wearing frags amost daily for about 37 years now. Skin still looks okay.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    There was a thread about this on the Huddler site before we switched over. So it will reappear at some point.

There are those who are concerned about these things, so you're not the only one. But I don't think there's ever going to be a definite answer on it because there are simply too many variables that would go into the equation. Like smoking affects people differently, something like fragrance on skin is going to affect us all differently and individually as well. Thus, we all have to make our own personal decision about "risks," no matter how minimal.

I look at the whole issue rather simply.......there are a LOT of VERY old people walking around that have been wearing fragrances for decades, aren't there? So what does that tell you? And when I think that mankind has sprayed fragrances on the body for literally thousands of years, I'm not too concerned.

If it were truly THAT dangerous, I think we would have definitive PROOF by now, wouldn't we? And if it were significantly harmful, we should all personally know someone that was suffering deleterious effects from fragrances, shouldn't we? But I don't know anyone like that, nor have I ever heard of such a thing. So those are pretty good odds.
    True and some very good points! But for fun, let me play devils advocet for a moment! And say perhaps we haven't seen anyone have any issues yet, possibly because all the older folks who used frags in the past had mostly(if not all)natural ingredients instead of these modern chemical compounds??? I doubt any old hippies would have had issues using patchouli or sandalwood oils....but what about isomethylclorhydronatine or whatever other stupid synthetic name I could make up?!lol

I thought that hippies were all about b.o.

Anyway, the question is worth thinking about. I do wonder if the government authorities are on to something when they cast a skeptical eye on some ingredients. So, you know, that's great. I'll delegate the worry to them and if they come up with anything deemed unsafe, they can take it off the market.

Natural ingredients are just a mix of chemicals made by a plant or extracted from some animal oriface. There are dozens or more chemicals in a single natural ingredient. The job of the perfumer is to take those chemicals that are available after IFRA restrictions and make something that appeals to our senses. Don't let those unpronounceble names throw you into a tizzy.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

!

No.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Chypre Palatin
    2) APOM Pour Homme
    3) Interlude Man
    4) One Man Show Gold Edition
    5) Mamluk
    6) Kouros (Vintage)
    7) Tobacco Vanille
    8) 34 Boulevard Saint Germain
    9) More than Words
    10) Le Male (Vintage)

Not at all - and I've been wearing scent pretty much daily since the 1970's!!!

Bio laundry detergents are something that we avoid, 'though as we've had slight problems with those.

Yes. It can't be good to spray all that stuff on one's skin and breath it in. The thought may raise the bar for perfume purchases one day. Is this smell worth spraying it on one's precious skin? Let's hope it's not too bad though.

Blog Entries

I'd worry about sun exposure 100x before I start to worry about wearing fragrances.
    Looking for THE femme fatale scent. If you think there is something I should smell please PM me!

I quitted smoking (and drinking) some time ago, so I would be glad if, at the end, I only had to face risks of perfumes.
    I do believe, though, that wearing scents on sun-exposed skin (and I mean: really intense sun, hot weather etc.) lets it age quicklier (without having any proof for this, which I don't care for anyway - that's why I 'believe' it).
    Last edited by Tristram; 8th November 2013 at 10:02 AM.

In the 30 years I worked as a Perfumer I never met anyone who had any negative reaction to the Perfumery materials were were using; and for most of the time we were handling Fragrances at 100.0% concentration (not diluted in Alcohol). Another Perfumer I know said that once he spilled neat Citral on his hands, and where it had touched his skin, it went a bit red. That's all. On the other hand, I have known several people develop a very nasty reaction to various detergent and cleaning agents, as they are so good at removing the oils that naturally moisturise skin.

Tristram you are entitled to your "beliefs", but unless they can be backed up with scientific evidence, I for one discard them.

Last edited by Tristram; 11th November 2013 at 10:06 AM.

Let's make it fair; two subjects one with the fragrance, the other without, both exposed to the "boiling hot sun". I'm guessing that the "boiling hot sun" will cause the most damage. This based on the evidence of numbers of cases of skin cancer in those parts of the world that have more "boiling hot sun", compared with those parts of the world that don't. I suspect that the addition of a small amount of fragrance (say a 10.0% solution of fragrance in alcohol, two sprays; let's say 0.2ml of fragrance) will have damn all difference. Mind you, to be super fair we need a third subject; sprayed with alcohol alone and exposed to the sun. Oh dear, actually we need two more; one sprayed with Fragrance for 30 years and kept in the dark, and one sprayed only with alcohol and kept in the dark; for 30 years. My Lord, how complicated this science is! Let's just pretend it doesn't exist, and keep to our "beliefs", and our "common sense".

Last edited by Tristram; 11th November 2013 at 10:06 AM.

I have noticed with all the years of fragrance use that when I get angry my skin starts to turn green, I just have to keep my emotional state in check to be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I have noticed with all the years of fragrance use that when I get angry my skin starts to turn green, I just have to keep my emotional state in check to be ok.
    We wouldn't like you when you're angry

On the "boiling hot sun" issue, I agree with David. One thing, though - perfume can make skin more photosensitive. A lot of people (includng me) have had minor rashes due to the combination of perfume and direct sun exposure.

But that's not the same thing as skin aging. The sun alone can do that, so I wouldn't worry about the effect of perfume, to be honest.

There are a few chemicals which can cause photosensitivity . Many are found in Citrus Oils (the oil is extracted from the skin of the fruit); the most common are called Bergaptenes. Steps have been taken to reduce these to an acceptable level (IFRA wants to reduce them even more, but cannot make up its mind as to what level). Mind you Citrus Oils also contain masses of Limonene which is classed as a skin sensitiser, and is one of the 28 allergens; and it is regarded as an environmental pollutant. My God! The more I think about it, the more I am convinced; we should ban all Citrus Fruits!!

My understanding is that our skin is a pretty powerful defense mechanism against pathogens. In healthy individuals, it creates an effective barrier to what may otherwise infect. That, coupled with the fact that groups such as IFRA & RIFM* have been working on the OP's concern for over 40 years gives me a warm fuzzy feeling w/r/t cologne use. No worries!

* seriously, visit the websites to learn what they do, how they test, what they've restricted or prohibited and their reason(s) why. my guess is that'll ease your mind.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Basenotes Junkie

Yes, there are probably some negative effects of long term exposure to almost any chemicals we apply or inhale/ingest. Do i think about it? No. Ignorance is bliss for me these days.

If the fragrances won't kill ya, the foods will.

I feel they are so watered down now that it's not a cause for concern at all to me. I still have some powerhouses from the 70's and 80's that feel a bit toxic when comparing to newer offereings but I just don't wear those as much any more.

Banned
    Blog Entries

This is something I think we will be fine with

A relative of mine is 73yrs old and abbot smoker and fragrance wearer for all his life since teenager and healthier then a price BREED bull looking down the hill at the heifers. I worry more about looking both ways when crossing street, then wearing well made quality frags that irregardless of natural products (yes better ..I know) or synthetic have to be created in labs to make useable to us...I would tend to worry more about my inner self more for eventually outer self will go from order to disorder through age; regardless We can't avoid thermo dynamic laws... Empirical evidence dictate that you will most likely perish from other cause then perfume .....peace and God Bless
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Basenotes Plus

LOL, didn't know you were Hulk deep inside!

Anyone ever worry about possible adverse effects from fragrance on your skin over many years?
    The only adverse effect I'm worried about is the impact of this hobby on my wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    In the 30 years I worked as a Perfumer I never met anyone who had any negative reaction to the Perfumery materials were were using; and for most of the time we were handling Fragrances at 100.0% concentration (not diluted in Alcohol). Another Perfumer I know said that once he spilled neat Citral on his hands, and where it had touched his skin, it went a bit red. That's all. On the other hand, I have known several people develop a very nasty reaction to various detergent and cleaning agents, as they are so good at removing the oils that naturally moisturise skin.
    Tristram you are entitled to your "beliefs", but unless they can be backed up with scientific evidence, I for one discard them.
    Hey David-thanks so much for taking the time to chime in on this and sharing your experiences.....it's great to get an experienced perfumers perspective!

- - - Updated - - -

lmao-touche JH!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    No doubt, I'd be laughing if it wasn't true

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    The only adverse effect I'm worried about is the impact of this hobby on my wallet.
    Lol, Tru dat brotha!

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

The risk of getting into a car accident is a lot higher. Fragrance-related risk is insignificant by comparison. Some people believe IFRA is a tool for the rich aromachemical giants to push their synthetic stuff. But I do appreciate the positive impact of these restrictions on preservation of rare and endangered species.

I don't. I do, however, worry about the next adverse impact of IFRA on perfumery.
    Last edited by freewheelingvagabond; 13th November 2013 at 04:29 PM.

So, everyone seems focused on the effects it may have on the skin. No one is concerned about the constant inhalation?

I also hear a lot of people saying that they have been wearing fragrance for X years with no ill effects. That is helpful, but it is just anecdotal - my grandfather smoked for 50 years, but that doesn't quite prove cigarettes are safe.

But overall, I'm thinking being married with kids is probably far worse for my health.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    So, everyone seems focused on the effects it may have on the skin. No one is concerned about the constant inhalation?
    A couple of people mention it, but the OP was about skin.

Next week in this series - we ask Stoner Forum if smoking pot is harmful.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbz View Post
    I had a weird thought the other day….I used to work a production job when I was younger and I had my hands in a couple different cleaning agents for the better part of the day over the course of a couple years. I used a damp towel to apply said cleaning/polishing agents and was not offered any kind of glove or hand protection until much later on when it was found out that one of these liquids which was initially deemed safe, did in fact have some potentially hazardous effects!

I’m a young looking guy for my age,(38)but I look down at my hands and can’t believe how old and damaged they look…

Is that why you have a deformed claw-hand as your avatar?

The skin is your first line (innate) natural defense. Fragrance won't cross the skin barrier. Permeation is known as the transcellular pathway. A drug must cross the lipophilic membrane of each cell, then the hydrophilic cellular contents containing keratin, and then the phospholipid bilayer of the cell one more time. This series of steps is repeated numerous times to traverse the full thickness of the stratum corneum. Fragrances are not constituted in a vehicle with these properties and therefore will not traverse the layers of skin. Enjoy your fragrances!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Amen to that, brother.

Although I tend to believe that most fragrance chemicals in reasonable doses will do little harm, the statement that these chemicals cannot go though the skin is much too sweeping. Lots of chemicals go through the skin, and some pass easily, even though most will be degraded and destroyed by metabolic activities of the body.

Considering the wide range of aromachemicals and all of the other non-aromatic ingredients used in fragrances, I'd expect a lot of variability. Transdermal absorption varies by chemical and maybe even 'by people' but the nicotine patch works for a reason... the reason is because nicotine goes though the skin pretty easily. There are drugs that should not even be handled by women or men, and are specifically labelled that way.

So it's pretty well established that chemicals do go through the skin, to a greater or lesser degree. But what happens after that is matter of the body's ability to deal with it. BTW, I find the latest perfume industry restrictions on citrus oils and many other commonly consumed oils really bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    haha.... +1
    offsite sales: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

offsite splits: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=617

current top 5, random order: Xerjoff Zafar, Vero Onda, Chanel Coromandel, Indult Reve en Cuir, Ex-Idolo 33

favourite categories: oriental semi-gourmands, ouds, vetivers

Name five chemicals used in Perfumery that easily pass through the skin. Nicotine patches, and any other type of patch designed to allow drugs to pass through the skin work because there are a few chemicals which pass through skin, and allow others to pass with them. None of these are used in Perfumery, or indeed in the Cosmetic industry.

Why do you find the IFRA restrictions on Citrus Oils bizarre? There is scientific evidence that certain chemicals commonly found in Citrus oils (e.g. Berbaptenes) can cause photosensitivity. Why is it that you are happy to accept hearsay and rumour, but find scientific evidence "bizarre"?

Well if you're concern is about fragrance then how about antiperspirant?

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Is that why you have a deformed claw-hand as your avatar?
    Lmao!!! That hadn't crossed my mind at all, but good catch! No thankfully my ugly hands aren't blue or have a mouth...got a hard enough time feeding just my one mouth

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Next week in this series - we ask Stoner Forum if smoking pot is harmful.

Lol! I know right?!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post

I also hear a lot of people saying that they have been wearing fragrance for X years with no ill effects. That is helpful, but it is just anecdotal - my grandfather smoked for 50 years, but that doesn't quite prove cigarettes are safe.

But overall, I'm thinking being married with kids is probably far worse for my health.

Good point Doug, that part of spraying fragrance didn't enter into my mind...more good points to ponder! So since I'm not married and have no kids, I should be just fine then...good to know!!!lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FreshSmell View Post
    Well if you're concern is about fragrance then how about antiperspirant?

Another great point! I have heard some very bad things about anti-perspirants, which I'm sure pose more of a health threat than fragrance.

In response to the question: "Name five chemicals used in Perfumery that easily pass through the skin" I can't.

However, I suspect there are many hundreds, possibly thousands, of different chemicals that are used in perfumery. I would imagine that among that great variety of chemicals there are some that might easily pass through the skin, and many more that might pass in smaller amounts. I doubt that I would say "None of these are used in Perfumery, or indeed in the Cosmetic industry." Unless you are really prepared to go down the list, that's kind of tall claim, isn't it?

In response to the question "Why do you find the IFRA restrictions on Citrus Oils bizarre? There is scientific evidence that certain chemicals commonly found in Citrus oils (e.g. Berbaptenes) can cause photosensitivity." Al I can say is that no one is proposing to ban the citrus fruits, which must contain all of those oils in far greater abundance, and many of those same oils also are in cleaning products, etc. It just seems kind of funny to go after the perfume, when the peel is probably worse.

In response to the question "Why is it that you are happy to accept hearsay and rumour, but find scientific evidence "bizarre"? I will respectfully ask "what hearsay and rumour did I accept, and what scientific evidence did I find bizarre?"

Citrus fruits contain chemicals that cause photsensitisation , are potential allergens, skin sensitisers, and have been classified as environmental pollutants. Citrus oils are widely used in all types of Perfumery. You tell me why they haven't been banned. Because the Citrus industry would collapse if they were; and because, it is right to assume that people are intelligent enough to take their own precautions.

Why would you imagine that there would be chemicals, used in Perfumery, that would easily pass through skin when you have no evidence for it, and cannot name any. Indeed, can you name any chemicals that pass through skin; because I can. And none of them are used in Perfumery. It might be true, that amongst the thousands that one or two can pass through. It might be true that there is radium in Cheerios, but until I see proof of it I will carry on eating them. You are relying on hearsay.
    Last edited by David Ruskin; 13th November 2013 at 08:45 AM.

No. I will grow old and die anyway. Fragrances are not likely to speeden this process in any meaningful way,

I've thought about it before. But honestly, i just quit smoking cigarettes a bit over 4 months ago. 1 pack a day for 20 years. Perfume can't POSSIBLY be worse than that!

I've never thought about it before.

Probably not going to think about it again.

I tested different essential oils on my skin and I got a rash. I am not prone to allergies, so you might as well assume that this hobby might have an health impact in the long range.

On the other hand, I always had in mind cancer incidence among chemists is higher than in the average population due to the fact they are exposed to chemicals the general population is not exposed too...

So I guess if things get awry, my bottles will be either sold or given away to friends, acquaintances, relatives, etc. before I die.

Honestly, if we do end up with adverse effects from chemical reactions, it's more likely to come from food preservatives and plant fertilizers, than from fragrance chemicals.

I'd worry less about your cologne you slap on your skin, and more about washing that bag of apples you bought from your local market, under a sink.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    I've thought about it before. But honestly, i just quit smoking cigarettes a bit over 4 months ago. 1 pack a day for 20 years. Perfume can't POSSIBLY be worse than that!
    Fantastic - well done!

Apart from the fear of skin reaction, what about your nasal passage? I seem to have developed allergies I've never had.

I also have a cousin who knows a fragrance company, she said some of their employees got cancer, but I didn't ask what kind of cancer. She told me to be careful.

I think anything too much can never be good. So I don't wear cologne everyday now. About 5 times a week.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Lots of people get cancer.

I worked in a Perfumery company for thirty years and nobody I knew got cancer. I'm sure wearing fragrance for only 70.0% of the time will make a huge difference.

I think there is a limit as to how much benzoin can be put into a fragrance.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4
    1. Voyage d' Hermes EDP
    2. Dolce & Gabbana EDT pre 2008