Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Lalique Encre Noire Sport

I guess that old thread about Encre Noire sport is in the archive somewhere so here is a new thread... Looks like this has been released in some markets ... anyone tried it?

Default Re: Lalique Encre Noire Sport

Have you seen it available for purchase yet?
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

haven't seen it myself but noticed some people giving feedback online about it. Lalique website:

http://www.lalique.com/en_US/product...us-4277-100-ml

112 dollars lol, I will wait till it hits fragrancenet

- - - Updated - - -

One of the reviewers on fragrantica said its the child of EN and Grey Vetiver, both of which I am a fan of, so I am excited. Lalique always puts out a good product, There is one negative review, but there is always that one troll.

Post Thanks / Like

Encre Noir + Grey Vetiver? I WANT A BOTTLE!!

Post Thanks / Like

It is available for sale in UK, escentual.com.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Have you seen it available for purchase yet?
    It only comes in 49ml.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    It only comes in 49ml.

it only comes in 49ml.
    lol!!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how many people are going to agree with this review once they get it up their nostrils:

I got this delivered today. I think i had too high expectations. dont get me wrong, there are faint traces of the original en scent, but it doesnt seem to be in the same class as en. The first spray gives me a strong zingy whiff of fresh and luscious cut green grass. The strands of original en come and go, and then i get sort of a slightly orange smell. In the end, it tames down to something akin to the top end of the generic deodorant smells.

Worth a first buy - yes. Worth a repeat buy? Im not convinced. Again, i was hoping for a more wearable woody spicy scent. More wearable it is. But not in the way i was hoping.
    EN turned into a generic deodorant? Say it ain't so...

Still waiting to hear more on this one. Any other reviews?

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds very interesting as original EN is to dark for me, lovely but not for regular use: maybe this one is more lively with light coming out that darkness original possesses...
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents"

Post Thanks / Like

It only comes in 49ml.
    Hilarious...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

For 112 it looks like most of us can wait til after Christmas..
    I am sure it will be in the 40-60 dollar range

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    haven't seen it myself but noticed some people giving feedback online about it. Lalique website:

Interesting that the stated retail of $112 for the Sport is more expensive than when the Original Encre Noire first appeared in the Lalique boutique in NY. (475)

Post Thanks / Like

I initially thought EN-sport was a joke. The name sounds like an oxymoron akin to fun-run or working-holiday. As a lover of the original, I didn't foresee that the words: Encre Noir and Sport together in the same sentence! However walking through Selfridges in London curiosity got the better of me.

I was really pleasantly surprised by this one. Someone has already suggested it is similar to TF grey vetiver combined with EN. This seems somewhat accurate. I was pleased withe the fresh (to my novice nose - grapefruit - opening) I was thrilled when the Original DNA made its timely appearance right on cue as the opening ceded to the middle notes (recall that the original beast famously has no top to its pyramid) - the unmistakable dusty, dusky vetiver has never been so welcome and remains the star of the show. The basenotes seem to have some added musks which blend well with the added citrus elements.

In my opinion fans of the original must be re-assured. This is a flanker which builds upon its namesake whilst respecting the original composition. Upon closer analysis, perhaps the totally dense all-encompassing nature of the original necessitates a lighter/sport version (whilst myriad aquatics hardly need a sport / sport-extreme version).

One lingering trouble is that its added elements remind me strongly of another scent sampled recently. After some time I think I have narrowed it down to the NEW Dior Homme Cologne - I would be delighted if someone could confirm this (especially in the top notes).

Overall - a well done and welcome addition. The creators must be praised for achieving the impossible - EN-SPORT. This would make a great signature scent working equally in the office, on a date or indeed after the gym. As the name suggests, safer and more generic than the original - but truly a decent sport flanker. I won't be taking a full-bottle simply because the original still ticks all the boxes for me and I'm not looking for a signature scent! Hopefully others will take my words as a recommendation, and will at least allay fears associated with the dreaded 'sport'.

p.s. GREAT BOTTLE

So it's out at least in your neck of the woods! Thanks for the detailed description. From your positive assessment, sounds like this will be a welcomed addition to my collection.
    (851)

Post Thanks / Like

I'd really love to see it on these shores (US). I love the original, and from the sounds of it, this one will almost definitely be a welcome addition. Especially that parallel to TF Grey Vetiver - one of my favorite modern vetivers out there - it sounds awesome!

Has anyone seen this one sold anywhere in the US yet?

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Has anyone seen this one sold anywhere in the US yet?
    If you locate it before I am able to, please let me know!
    (855)

I found it on their website.

Looks like they want $15 for shipping, which is pretty bad, but I think I am going to blind buy it tonight

- - - Updated - - -

Oops - didnt see JH posted already.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I found it on their website.

Looks like they want $15 for shipping, which is pretty bad, but I think I am going to blind buy it tonight

Yeah, Hawk had given the Lalique link further up in the thread. I was just curious if it had surfaced anywhere else, like a brick and mortar store or online retail fragrance shop. In any case, I might just follow in your footsteps and spring for it tonight also!
    (862)

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Yeah, Hawk had given the Lalique link further up in the thread. I was just curious if it had surfaced anywhere else, like a brick and mortar store or online retail fragrance shop. In any case, I might just follow in your footsteps and spring for it tonight also!
    (862)
    Yeah - not sure how I missed those. Going on no sleep for too long!

Anyway, it would sure be nice to see it at a discount place for $35 like EN, but I am thinking it may be a year or more before it filters down to the discounters.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Yeah - not sure how I missed those. Going on no sleep for too long!

Anyway, it would sure be nice to see it at a discount place for $35 like EN, but I am thinking it may be a year or more before it filters down to the discounters.
    My favourite internet shop in my country just received them in stock. Fortunately its just 32 euros for big 100ml bottle, so its possible that you will find it cheap also in US.
    Current TOP 5 from my collection:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    4. Encre Noire
    5. Dior Homme Intense

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! What's the shop/web site?

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    My favourite internet shop in my country just received them in stock. Fortunately its just 32 euros for big 100ml bottle, so its possible that you will find it cheap also in US.
    That is great news - I have been dragging my feet on buying it from Lalique directly. Would love to get this at a near-EN price.

Post Thanks / Like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    Wow! That is great news and a hopeful sign.

(1864)

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

A major letdown. The opening smells just like the Sport Fragrance shelves at the department store. An anonymous citrusy-peppery (nutmegg-y) masculine thing of zero interest. The fragrance evolves a little bit introducing a soft marine note paired to what's left of the ISO + Vetiver combo of the original Encre Noire. I honestly can't tell it apart from most designer fragrances playing similar themes.

Encre Noire Sport? No way. I think it would have probably be better named as Encre Light Blue Sport Extreme.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Oh well, not great news and not a hopeful sign then.
    (1896)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    A major letdown.
    Alfarom - I truly enjoy your reviews and perspective on perfumery as a whole, and I tend to agree with probably 80-90% of your comments. I bought many bottles based on your reviews, our email exchanges, forum posts, etc. Most of them were a hit with me, though some I cringed and found completely unwearable - exercises in making fragrances over the top strong, for the sake of being obnoxious, gasoline/leather/blood/metal shards/semen/burning lightbulb/feces combinations. You seem to gravitate to these head strong, crazy over the top fragrances that, unfortunately, sometimes are not exactly "people friendly"... In the polite society some of us live in, we sometimes have to be mindful of our surroundings and not just randomly kill people with our scent as we enter the room. That makes for a great entry, sure, but we are not playing James Bond on a day to day basis (only on weekends).

I guess what I'm saying is that EN Sport may be a disappointment to you, because it's not over the top formula and won't kill anyone within 6 feet from you, and by your standards it may be too safe. So I completely understand why you are giving it low marks (and that's OK). I have read other reviews that compare EN Sport to a mix of the original EN with Tom Ford Grey Vetiver. Which, if you ask me, sounds heavenly - as I enjoy both fragrances on their own, and to have a little bit of both in one bottle is actually very attractive and appealing to me. It may be safe, it may be simple, but I suspect it may still be a good fragrance, office-worthy, for when you want to smell good but without the rest of the office wearing gas masks or gagging every time they run into you. ;-) If it's a "modern take on vetiver, with a twist" (which is what I was suspecting based on the notes) then I am still very much interested in giving this one a try. I'm still hopeful it is a decent release from Lalique. Most everything they have released tends to be good to very good stuff, some even excellent. They are not an edgy company, that's for sure... EN is probably one of their most "out there" releases... so I am not expecting a dark, strong, uber masculine, over the top fragrance, just something casual yet pleasant... though admittedly without going into the generic "department store sport cologne" direction.

With that said, and keeping in mind your own expectations and preferences, would you still say EN Sport is a sort of EN + Grey Vetiver mix? I'd be curious to hear more on this comparison, without declaring it a letdown just yet. It may just be a great (safe) fragrance, perhaps just not your cup of tea, that's all. Or, is the difference as big as the difference between the original Tiffany for Men (great old school classic) vs Tiffany Sport (absolutely trifle attempt at perfumery, borderlining on "Exceptional... because you are" from Fragrancenet...?

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds bad. I'm sure a lot of people will like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lalique Encre Noire Sport

Vetiver is not an easy everyday note. I would not blind buy any vetiver or incense note. Too risky for me.

Post Thanks / Like

... and for others, vetiver is one of the easiest notes to pull off. 😀

Post Thanks / Like

Vetiver is by far my favorite note. In face, I haven't met a vetiver dominant note that I truly do not like. For me, I don't understand how others find this note difficult. Then I remember how much I hate leather :-) In fact, I'm in the process of making my own vetiver based fragrance, so I don't have room to talk, but this sounds interesting for sure. I like ISO and like the original stuff. I'm hoping it hits discounters soon here in the U.S.

I love vetiver too, to many people its a foreign note, too smokey and grassy. In South Asia,where it originates from, its a ubiquitous note used in the summer to make reed carpets which are hung to keep rooms cool and fragrant. Its also used as a Syrup and Attar.

I will just wait till it hits Fragrancenet lol.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    I love vetiver too, to many people its a foreign note, too smokey and grassy. In South Asia,where it originates from, its a ubiquitous note used in the summer to make reed carpets which are hung to keep rooms cool and fragrant. Its also used as a Syrup and Attar.
    How does the South Asian variety compare to the Hatian variety which is also found in some vetiver fragrances? Are they noticeably different?

(1909)

Its not as smokey as Haitian , but more muskier but still its smokey overall.
    Last edited by vinramani09; 21st December 2013 at 03:52 AM.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Alfarom - I truly enjoy your reviews and perspective on perfumery as a whole...
    Thanks for your kind words. Re Encre Noire Sport, the problem here is not just the smell which as you say, might result disappointing to some and great to others. I find it hair-rising but it's clearly my very own opinion. Yes, I tend to gravitate towards edgier stuff but that's only partially true. A big part of my wardrobe and preferences lean towards classics and older stuff a-là Guerlain, Patou and older Dior (among many others). One of the latest lines which truly impressed me is Nu-Be which, beside the marketing and packagings, has almost nothing over the top or too daring (fragrance-wise). With that said, the problem here is *squeezing* to the maximum the sport-theme. Every *safer* line (forgive the lack of better words) has to release a sport fragrance at any cost, to the point of resulting ridiculous and completely non-plausible when they pair certain compositions known for their dark-ish character and austerity, to dynamic and lighthearted themes and *sport*. Sounds like Lasagna-light. An oxymoron.

Personally, I'm sick and tired of *extremes*, *sport*, *l'eaus*, *legere*, *light* - As concepts - People who live in a *polite* society (as you say), have plenty of better options for *safer* scents than to buy an unnecessary sport flanker just made to make them splurge some extra tickets because they loved the original. The concept is more or less the same with music and remixes. A major pop artist deliver a successful track which is immediatly followed by a plethora of remixes revisiting the same song in every nuance possible. The main purpose is just to make extra cash from a single product. Most of the time, there's no artistry, no soul, no integrity. Just greed.

Now, tastes obviously vary depending on people and if someone likes Encre Noire Sport, I'm MORE than fine with it. There's nothing wrong with it but my opinion on the said fragrance and, on a more general level, on the whole concept of releasing flankers, doesn't change.

With that said, generalization shouldn't be taken as an extension to this critic to every single flanker delivered in the whole perfume history. We experienced some good ones but, as a rule, they're generally just the result of marketing strategies that while naturally belonging to business, they're still just *strategies*. What I'm trying to do here is encourage others to discernment and realize when said srategies are really too *evident*, *uninspired* and *unnecessary*.

Again, thanks for your words Remik but I can assure you, I don't live on mars. I've a family, a regular day-job, I go grocery shopping, cinema, drive a car, take my pets to the park and stuff like that. As much as you think I would like, I don't go around smelling like *s**t*, *semen*, *blood* or whatever bodily fluid. Thanks for%
    Last edited by alfarom; 21st December 2013 at 06:15 AM.

I also enjoy reading your reviews Alfarom, I liked your one on Fragrantica for Montecristo. Though you have a very discriminating taste , it takes a lot to impress you :P.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Alfarom - I truly enjoy your reviews and perspective on perfumery as a whole, and I tend to agree with probably 80-90% of your comments. I bought many bottles based on your reviews, our email exchanges, forum posts, etc. Most of them were a hit with me, though some I cringed and found completely unwearable - exercises in making fragrances over the top strong, for the sake of being obnoxious, gasoline/leather/blood/metal shards/semen/burning lightbulb/feces combinations. You seem to gravitate to these head strong, crazy over the top fragrances that, unfortunately, sometimes are not exactly "people friendly"... In the polite society some of us live in, we sometimes have to be mindful of our surroundings and not just randomly kill people with our scent as we enter the room. That makes for a great entry, sure, but we are not playing James Bond on a day to day basis (only on weekends).

I guess what I'm saying is that EN Sport may be a disappointment to you, because it's not over the top formula and won't kill anyone within 6 feet from you, and by your standards it may be too safe. So I completely understand why you are giving it low marks (and that's OK). I have read other reviews that compare EN Sport to a mix of the original EN with Tom Ford Grey Vetiver. Which, if you ask me, sounds heavenly - as I enjoy both fragrances on their own, and to have a little bit of both in one bottle is actually very attractive and appealing to me. It may be safe, it may be simple, but I suspect it may still be a good fragrance, office-worthy, for when you want to smell good but without the rest of the office wearing gas masks or gagging every time they run into you. ;-) If it's a "modern take on vetiver, with a twist" (which is what I was suspecting based on the notes) then I am still very much interested in giving this one a try. I'm still hopeful it is a decent release from Lalique. Most everything they have released tends to be good to very good stuff, some even excellent. They are not an edgy company, that's for sure... EN is probably one of their most "out there" releases... so I am not expecting a dark, strong, uber masculine, over the top fragrance, just something casual yet pleasant... though admittedly without going into the generic "department store sport cologne" direction.

With that said, and keeping in mind your own expectations and preferences, would you still say EN Sport is a sort of EN + Grey Vetiver mix? I'd be curious to hear more on this comparison, without declaring it a letdown just yet. It may just be a great (safe) fragrance, perhaps just not your cup of tea, that's all. Or, is the difference as big as the difference between the original Tiffany for Men (great old school classic) vs Tiffany Sport (absolutely trifle attempt at perfumery, borderlining on "Exceptional... because you are" from Fragrancenet...?
    Thanks for your kind words. Re Encre Noire Sport, the problem here is not just the smell which as you say, might result disappointing to some and great to others. I find it hair-rising but it's clearly my very own opinion. Yes, I tend to gravitate towards edgier stuff but that's only partially true. A big part of my wardrobe and preferences lean towards classics and older stuff a-là Guerlain, Patou and older Dior (among many others). One of the latest lines which truly impressed me is Nu-Be which, beside the marketing and packagings, has almost nothing over the top or too daring (fragrance-wise). With that said, the problem here is *squeezing* to the maximum the sport-theme. Every *safer* line (forgive the lack of better words) has to release a sport fragrance at any cost, to the point of resulting ridiculous and completely non-plausible when they pair certain compositions known for their dark-ish character and austerity, to dynamic and lighthearted themes and *sport*. Sounds like Lasagna-light. An oxymoron.

Personally, I'm sick and tired of *extremes*, *sport*, *l'eaus*, *legere*, *light* - As concepts - People who live in a *polite* society (as you say), have plenty of better options for *safer* scents than to buy an unnecessary sport flanker just made to make them splurge some extra tickets because they loved the original. The concept is more or less the same with music and remixes. A major pop artist deliver a successful track which is immediatly followed by a plethora of remixes revisiting the same song in every nuance possible. The main purpose is just to make extra cash from a single product. Most of the time, there's no artistry, no soul, no integrity. Just greed.

Now, tastes obviously vary depending on people and if someone likes Encre Noire Sport, I'm MORE than fine with it. There's nothing wrong with it but my opinion on the said fragrance and, on a more general level, on the whole concept of releasing flankers, doesn't change.

With that said, generalization shouldn't be taken as an extension to this critic to every single flanker delivered in the whole perfume history. We experienced some good ones but, as a rule, they're generally just the result of marketing strategies that while naturally belonging to business, they're still just *strategies*. What I'm trying to do here is encourage others to discernment and realize when said srategies are really too *evident*, *uninspired* and *unnecessary*.

Again, thanks for your words Remik but I can assure you, I don't live on mars. I've a family, a regular day-job, I go grocery shopping, cinema, drive a car, take my pets to the park and stuff like that. As much as you think I would like, I don't go around smelling like *s**t*, *semen*, *blood* or whatever bodily fluid.
    I just gotta say, I'm loving the "Ebert & Siskel" moment I'm getting here! The only thing better than two thumbs up was opposing thumbs and lots of reasoning behind both of them!

Personally, I'm a fan of the "sport" genre, but while I may love a whole bunch of them, I'll reserve the calls of artistry for the rare animal that breaks the rules of the genre and still manages to impress on multiple levels. Tiffany For Men Sport Cologne, for example, always struck me as something that was greater than a sport fragrance should have been.

I find that the very idea of Encre Noire "Sport" a bit bizarre, even though I am positive that this one will be very appealing to me. The sport version of a literary-themed fragrance? It's a bit like those Albert Einstein "action figures", or an Edgar Allen Poe line of gymwear. It may look sharp, but I'll be tempted to lie and say it's Ralph Lauren Polo.

But who knows - maybe prominent vetiver in a sport is enough of a rule-breaker that it's meaningful. I'll just have to sniff it and see.

And OMG - light lasagna - that's not just a bad idea - that is SIN.

Post Thanks / Like

Again, thanks for your words Remik but I can assure you, I don't live on mars. I've a family, a regular day-job, I go grocery shopping, cinema, drive a car, take my pets to the park and stuff like that. As much as you think I would like, I don't go around smelling like *s**t*, *semen*, *blood* or whatever bodily fluid. Thanks for%
    Oh dear, sorry, did not mean to imply you did! :-) It's just an oversimplified exagerration of what *I* think you tend to gravitate to - something stronger, more edgy, unique, and more old-school slap-in-your-face type fragrances. I love Leather Oud just as much as you do, and we both know what (some) people think this one smells like.

I understand your stance on flankers, and I completely agree - most are unnecessary distraction, taking away from focus and concentration on the key, main release that is supposed to be the star of the show. There are very few exceptions where I like a flanker more than the original (Declaration d'Un Soir is one). I'd much rather see fewer new fragrances being released, but of better quality and uniqueness - rather than flankers of flankers and beating the proverbial dead horse, releasing a dozen new fragrances every year that all smell the same and are equally uninspiring. Musically, however, I'll have to disagree, as I'm a total junkie when it comes to remixes. If I like a song, I'll try to get every possible remix there is - many of them can be better and more interesting than the original. Of course this only applies to techno/dance type tracks, where remixes make sense, it doesn't work too well for other genres of music. I won't name the band, but there is one group in particular that tends to release so many remixes (almost like Madonna, lol!) that for every song they've released I have probably 25+ remixes, and that's being conservative. Crazy, I know. But, it works for me, even if all these mixes are just a way to make more money for the artist. I'm fine spending money on art and supporting artists I like, so it's not necessarily a waste of money from my perspective.

So with that said, I am patiently waiting to see EN Sport on these shores, hopefully Fragrantica picks it up soon. Not expecting anything earth shattering, a powerhouse frag remix of the 70's or 80's, so perhaps my expectations will be met just fine. If it's in the $30-$40 range like regular EN, I'll blind buy it without hesitation. I had no expectations at all when I picked up EN and it turned out to be an excellent find. If the Sport is only half as good, it will be worth the (discounted) price, for casual use. I guess I'll wait and see. If it turns our "horrible and unnecessary" - no big loss. I have plenty of other fragrances to wear in "polite society" circles - heck, the original EN does just fine in a pinch.
    Last edited by remik; 21st December 2013 at 06:53 AM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I just gotta say, I'm loving the "Ebert & Siskel" moment I'm getting here!
    Oh my... what have we done...?!

I find that the very idea of Encre Noire "Sport" a bit bizarre, even though I am positive that this one will be very appealing to me. The sport version of a literary-themed fragrance? It's a bit like those Albert Einstein "action figures", or an Edgar Allen Poe line of gymwear. It may look sharp, but I'll be tempted to lie and say it's Ralph Lauren Polo.
    As long as it's not that new Polo Red. YUCK!! I finally tried it yesterday. You know that concoction of fragrances you smell in every department store fragrance section, the big cloud hovering above all counters, the mix of everything they carry, mixed in with the women's powders, lipstick, etc, etc, etc? That's exactly what Polo Red smells to me - one big mix of every possible note there is, in a single bottle. Why, oh why would anyone want to bottle that up?? Or worse - wear it?

And OMG - light lasagna - that's not just a bad idea - that is SIN.
    Well, at least we agree on one thing. LOL!!!!

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear, sorry, did not mean to imply you did! :-) It's just an oversimplified exagerration of what *I* think you tend to gravitate to - something stronger, more edgy, unique, and more old-school slap-in-your-face type fragrances. I love Leather Oud just as much as you do, and we both know what (some) people think this one smells like.

I understand your stance on flankers, and I completely agree - most are unnecessary distraction, taking away from focus and concentration on the key, main release that is supposed to be the star of the show. There are very few exceptions where I like a flanker more than the original (Declaration d'Un Soir is one). I'd much rather see fewer new fragrances being released, but of better quality and uniqueness - rather than flankers of flankers and beating the proverbial dead horse, releasing a dozen new fragrances every year that all smell the same and are equally uninspiring. Musically, however, I'll have to disagree, as I'm a total junkie when it comes to remixes. If I like a song, I'll try to get every possible remix there is - many of them can be better and more interesting than the original. Of course this only applies to techno/dance type tracks, where remixes make sense, it doesn't work too well for other genres of music. I won't name the band, but there is one group in particular that tends to release so many remixes (almost like Madonna, lol!) that for every song they've released I have probably 25+ remixes, and that's being conservative. Crazy, I know. But, it works for me, even if all these mixes are just a way to make more money for the artist. I'm fine spending money on art and supporting artists I like, so it's not necessarily a waste of money from my perspective.

So with that said, I am patiently waiting to see EN Sport on these shores, hopefully Fragrantica picks it up soon. Not expecting anything earth shattering, a powerhouse frag remix of the 70's or 80's, so perhaps my expectations will be met just fine. If it's in the $30-$40 range like regular EN, I'll blind buy it without hesitation. I had no expectations at all when I picked up EN and it turned out to be an excellent find. If the Sport is only half as good, it will be worth the (discounted) price, for casual use. I guess I'll wait and see. If it turns our "horrible and unnecessary" - no big loss. I have plenty of other fragrances to wear in "polite society" circles - heck, the original EN does just fine in a pinch.
    Oh Redneck, you know I'm all for these bizarre pairings. There's a fantastic record by Mortiz Von Oswald and Carl Craig in which they re-assemble, re-compose and re-visit the classic symphonic catalog of Deutsche Grammophon in an electronic way. On the other hand, russian artist Alexander Balanescu delivered a tremendous record in which he played all the Kraftwerk classics with a symphonic orchestra. A similar project was also done by Senor Coconut who turned several pop-classics into mambo anthems. What made all these projects very interesting, was a solid artistic concept as opposed to the mere marketing shallowness behind most fragrance flankers.

On a side note, Lasagna light, beside being a sin is also a total lie I never heard of anyone losing weight while on a lasagna-light based diet

Thanks for bringing depth to Basenotes Redneck, you know I love you.
    Last edited by alfarom; 21st December 2013 at 07:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh my... what have we done...?!
    LOL! I loved those guys - and now that I think about it, I doubt I'd ever have gotten into fragrance, had it not been for them. I think they made it OK to get way deeper into movies than most people in middle America ever had before, and - well - one art leads to another. A pair of toasts to those guys!

As long as it's not that new Polo Red. YUCK!! I finally tried it yesterday. You know that concoction of fragrances you smell in every department store fragrance section, the big cloud hovering above all counters, the mix of everything they carry, mixed in with the women's powders, lipstick, etc, etc, etc? That's exactly what Polo Red smells to me - one big mix of every possible note there is, in a single bottle. Why, oh why would anyone want to bottle that up?? Or worse - wear it?
    This stuff must be the Rodney Dangerfield of men's fragrances. I think you actually hit on why I like it, which I never realized. I love that mix of scents when I walk into department stores - it is just a real attraction to me. But I don't even know if a focus group would give that as a valid answer.

Not sure how Polo Red is doing in the marketplace - it would be interesting to know if it is making money or not. Certainly not popular around here - in fact, I'm a bit shocked at how UNpopular it is. Most frags here have at least a few fans - Polo Red has ONE. LOL!

Well, at least we agree on one thing. LOL!!!!
    Occasionally my wife makes some kind of healthy lasagna with tofu and ghastly weightless noodles - it's an abomination. I beg for the burnt corners in hope of some flavor that might remind me of the real thing!

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry Remik, it's all good. What I'd really love people to understand though is that fragrance-criticism is ALL about personal opinions. Perfume and objectivity belong to two worlds completely apart IMO. I can either bash a fragrance to death or praise it to the maximum but it's still just my opinion and I've never pretended anyone to take it as the truth. This is for me and for everyone else. With that said, being myself not only a fan of challenging or OTT stuff, I want to express my opinion which might be either worth of attention or not but one thing for sure, it's sincere, honest and passionate. Now please, head me that bottle of Habit Rouge Sport, I can't live without it.
    Last edited by alfarom; 21st December 2013 at 07:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh Redneck, you know I'm all for these bizarre pairings. There's a fantastic record by Mortiz Von Oswald and Carl Craig in which they re-assemble, re-compose and re-visit the classic symphonic catalog of Deutsche Grammophon in an electronic way. On the other hand, russian artist Alexander Balanescu delivered a tremendous record in which he played all the Kraftwerk classics with a symphonic orchestra. A similar project was also done by Senor Coconut who turned several pop-classics into mambo anthems. What made all these projects very interesting, was a solid artistic concept as opposed to the mere marketing shallowness behind most fragrance flankers.

On a side note, Lasagna light, beside being a sin is also a total lie I never heard of anyone losing weight while on a lasagna-light based diet

Thanks for bringing depth to Basenotes Redneck, you know I love you.
    The feeling is mutual!

The thing about odd revisitations, which I think makes me perk up my ears, is the fact that one artist in a completely different genre is spotting something that they not only LIKE - it's something they think is worth pulling into their world. As you say, it's clearly driven by desire instead of marketing.

The trouble with fragrance is that - at least in the world of the big boys and girls - it's ALL marketing. So even if you get a perfumer who turns a "sport" assignment into a real artistic effort, it's largely invisible to us, except through screaming innovation of some kind, that says "Hey - I took this one seriously." I think that's where Polge II got his big ticket - he just made too many innovative designer fragrances NOT to be noticed.

And thanks for the tip on the torture lasagna - I will inform my wife immediately that it doesn't work!

Post Thanks / Like

I immediately bought EN Sport when it appeared here in Russia. It is entirely what we could expect from the "sporty" version of Encre Noire. Trendy combination of crispy modern citruses and specific smoky vetiver for the regular Encre Noire. The same topic has being developed for the last two years in, for example, Guerlain Homme L'eau Boisee or Bvlgari Man Extreme.
    Unlike most of latest releases EN Sport is a high quality fragrance, it smells of vetiver combined with clean citruses from the new Dior Homme Cologne, and that combination is natural and alluring.

Post Thanks / Like

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks for confirming This!

I was just relieved that the EN DNA survived. Also, the oxymoron eventually appealed to me - EN being more worthy of a sport flanker that many others

Quote Originally Posted by ION-ONE View Post

One lingering trouble is that its added elements remind me strongly of another scent sampled recently. After some time I think I have narrowed it down to the NEW Dior Homme Cologne - I would be delighted if someone could confirm this (especially in the top notes).

Quote Originally Posted by AntonPan View Post
    I immediately bought EN Sport when it appeared here in Russia. It is entirely what we could expect from the "sporty" version of Encre Noire. Trendy combination of crispy modern citruses and specific smoky vetiver for the regular Encre Noire. The same topic has being developed for the last two years in, for example, Guerlain Homme L'eau Boisee or Bvlgari Man Extreme.
    Unlike most of latest releases EN Sport is a high quality fragrance, it smells of vetiver combined with clean citruses from the new Dior Homme Cologne, and that combination is natural and alluring.
    Quote Originally Posted by ION-ONE View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks for confirming This!

I was just relieved that the EN DNA survived. Also, the oxymoron eventually appealed to me - EN being more worthy of a sport flanker that many others

I was already sold on this one. Now I am getting impatient! I think I will need to blindly pull the trigger on this soon!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AntonPan View Post
    While I was never truly excited about Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisee, I've been continuously attracted to Bulgari Man Extreme. And Dior Homme Sport is a fave (never smelled the Cologne). So I'll just have to see how this one sits when I actually get a whiff. Other comparisons to Grey Vetiver are positive signs for me - the question is whether it offers enough difference to satisfy me. I have always been on the fence about Encre Noire, but this one may be really enjoyable.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

While I can understand the disappointment in the naming (L'eau would've been so much better), I don't agree that this is a safe fragrance. Reality check please. No vetiver fragrance is safe, if by safe we mean that it has near universal appeal. There's simply not many popular designer vetivers around. If you wear a vetiver heavy fragrance, even TdH, it will break with the pattern, it will get noticed and some people will find it weird and unattractive. Of course, there are more or less safe compositions - vetiver + blood and feces is probably less likely to get a compliment than vetiver + citruses. Still, vetiver is not safe.

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, look at the bottle/name, does it look as if a lot of thought has gone into this apart from Sport fragrances sell, let's make one? It would have been very surprising if it would have been great.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

This stuff must be the Rodney Dangerfield of men's fragrances. I think you actually hit on why I like it, which I never realized. I love that mix of scents when I walk into department stores - it is just a real attraction to me. But I don't even know if a focus group would give that as a valid answer.
    Regarding Polo Red, if you enjoy that aroma of all the scents combined, check into Diptyque's 34 St. Germain, the original with the black cap, not the Leau.

I really like this one, and had zero intent of giving Polo Red even a sniff. Until now

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

As an aside, I have heard mentions that EN Sport smells like Armani Prive's Vetiver Babylon, any truth to that for those who have smelled both?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PWJ View Post
    While I can understand the disappointment in the naming (L'eau would've been so much better), I don't agree that this is a safe fragrance. Reality check please. No vetiver fragrance is safe, if by safe we mean that it has near universal appeal. There's simply not many popular designer vetivers around. If you wear a vetiver heavy fragrance, even TdH, it will break with the pattern, it will get noticed and some people will find it weird and unattractive. Of course, there are more or less safe compositions - vetiver + blood and feces is probably less likely to get a compliment than vetiver + citruses. Still, vetiver is not safe.
    I agree - vetiver is not something that "everybody" likes. And even the ones that are loved by many, are very frequently panned by vetiver fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Honestly, look at the bottle/name, does it look as if a lot of thought has gone into this apart from Sport fragrances sell, let's make one? It would have been very surprising if it would have been great.
    I had the exact same feeling. I noticed that same feeling with a couple of the recent sport versions - the slap-dash design of the sportified packaging seemed to match the slap-dash sportification of the scent itself.

Quote Originally Posted by JourneymanDave View Post
    Regarding Polo Red, if you enjoy that aroma of all the scents combined, check into Diptyque's 34 St. Germain, the original with the black cap, not the Leau.

I really like this one, and had zero intent of giving Polo Red even a sniff. Until now

Thanks! Much obliged for that tip.

I sent an unmarked vial of Red to a buddy here, with the only instruction being to spray liberally (5+ sprays). He found it surprisingly enjoyable, and guessed that it was Red, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaaon View Post
    As an aside, I have heard mentions that EN Sport smells like Armani Prive's Vetiver Babylon, any truth to that for those who have smelled both?
    Now I'm really looking forward to it. Vetiver Babylone is one that I came within micrometers of buying - and may buy eventually.

I hope so - sort of. I already own VB, but I love it, so a new twist on that would be great. However I can't imagine anything similar to Encre Noire smelling like Vetiver Babylone. Quite different IMO.

If it does in fact turn out sharing some similarities with Vetiver Babylone that will be a good sign IMO.

(1993)

Post Thanks / Like

Bump

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Encre Noire Sport sounds like an oxy moron and a marketing gimmick.

A total different take of the original Encre Noire. A fresh opening of grapefruit, bergamot followed briefly by aquatic notes that settles to nutmeg, vetiver and wood. I have tested both Encre Noire Sport and TF Grey Vetiver and I could smell the resemblance. When both settle down Encre Noire Sport is woodier, lighter - Gray Vetiver is warmer and longevity is more than 8 h. Encre Noire Sport is a great warm weather signature scent of vetiver, long-lasting 7 hours for me. A great alternative to the smoky original Encre Noire for spring or summer. Encre Noire Sport = Mediterranean summer Encre Noire. You just have to test this on your own. Love the bottle.