Code of Conduct

Default Chrome - The Ultimate Tourist Scent

I've been wearing Chrome in Dubai the last few days. As I discovered eight years ago, it's the only scent that never lets me down when doing the tourist thing in hot places.

Before dinner the other night I sprayed Encre Noir over that morning's weakened Chrome. Then we went and did night shopping at the Gold Souk, and did a big walk back to the hotel. And before having a shower, I noticed that the morning's Chrome was still going, but that the Encre Noir had disappeared.

I don't know if Chrome has been reformulated, and if it still as good. But I have a lifetime's supply of the old stuff, so that I'll always be smelling shower fresh whatever I do.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Default Re: Chrome - The Ultimate Tourist Scent

Its very popular but its weak I find.

Quite a popular scent but gets attention non the less.

Tried to find the beauty in it. Failed.

Tried it, wanted to like it, but just couldn't. Glad you enjoy it though.

Quite a versatile fresh scent. Could easily imagine it as suitable on almost any occasions and definitely while traveling.

I agree that this is (also for me) the best hot weather fragrance and with Bvlgari Aqva Marine my favorite aquatic!
    I do not think this fragrance ever has been reformulated. I tried the stuff from two different packages and both smelled the same and had equal projection and longevity (6-9 hrs depending on application).
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - YSL: Opium Pour Homme Edp
    - Dior: Eau Sauvage Parfum
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

I did smell a ton of it yesterday...hmm

for swap/sale:

it's a very nice inoffensive scent IMO.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    Its very popular but its weak I find.
    I've seen quite a few people say the same as you in recent years, which made me wonder if there was a reformulation at play. Else it's just a skin chemistry thing, I suspect.

I do use six sprays for the permanent shower effect.
    Cheers,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    I certainly notice it instantly when others wear it.
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

I certainly notice it instantly when others wear it.
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tristram View Post
    Tried to find the beauty in it. Failed.
    Even if I didn't like it much, I'd still wear it when doing the tourist thing. The others all conk out in adverse conditions.
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Tried it, wanted to like it, but just couldn't. Glad you enjoy it though.
    Did you actually give it a wearing in full warm summertime? There are few scents I wasn't overly fond of, till I gave them a summer wearing eg. Kouros and Boss Elements.
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    I agree that this is (also for me) the best hot weather fragrance and with Bvlgari Aqva Marine my favorite aquatic!
    I do not think this fragrance ever has been reformulated. I tried the stuff from two different packages and both smelled the same and had equal projection and longevity (6-9 hrs depending on application).
    Good to see someone who concurs, thanks.
    As to a possible reformulation question, it may be hard to test out, as there is so much of it around. It c
    can be bought dirt cheap back home in Australia.
    Regards,
    Renato

oops, wrong thread...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Katana; 8th November 2013 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I did smell a ton of it yesterday...hmm
    Might have been me - your city isn't that far away!

By the way, I picked up a bottle of Pure Havanae in Dubai Mall today. I thought I'd find it somewhere here, but had nearly given up. I can fly out tomorrow a happy man.
    Cheers,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    it's a very nice inoffensive scent IMO.
    Yes, but with 12 sprays it can be worn in the on-offensive mode.
    Cheers,
    Renato

12 sprays of Chrome is mindless violence On me it's potent enough with a single, wide spray on the front of the neck and that's that. Almost always gets me compliments.
    Last edited by Zgb; 8th November 2013 at 09:33 PM.

A favorite gym scent of mine.

Whenever I go on holiday, I always bring Chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Did you actually give it a wearing in full warm summertime? There are few scents I wasn't overly fond of, till I gave them a summer wearing eg. Kouros and Boss Elements.
    Renato
    Not really (that could involve waiting for months for a warm day in the UK), just smelled it once or twice and knew it wasn't what I had hoped for. One that I suddenly started liking on a hot day, after using up almost 2 samples and disliking it at first, Armani Code Sport. Using that for hot days now.

Attention travelers: For those of you in the US, Walmart sells half-ounce travel sprays of Chrome for $15. (And for those of you who prefer traveling with old-school fougeres, some Walmarts also have Azzaro Pour Homme in the same size at the same price.)

Either one is a steal, especially if you want a great fragrance to carry on vacation that will still leave room in your 1-quart Ziploc at the TSA checkpoint for travel-size Crest and Pantene. Granted, I haven't traveled long distances in over a year - my last visit was Walt Disney World, where there was no need to bring along cologne thanks to the Guerlain and Givenchy boutiques plus other frags (Geir Ness, Bvlgari, etc.) at Epcot. But I do think that Chrome would be a great tourist scent for most destinations.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

12 sprays of Chrome is mindless violence On me it's potent enough for a single, wide spray on the front of the neck and that's that. Almost always gets me compliments.
    Yes indeed. One day I was in a train carriage that was totally infused by a guy wearing Chrome. Fortunately, I like the scent.
    Cheers,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    I can imagine it would indeed be an excellent gym scent, though the gym isn't a place I frequent.
    Regards,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    I can imagine it would indeed be an excellent gym scent, though the gym isn't a place I frequent.
    Regards,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Matkinson View Post
    Whenever I go on holiday, I always bring Chrome.
    yt?
    Ah - someone else who has discovered what Chrome delivers ( to most people).
    Regards,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Not really (that could involve waiting for months for a warm day in the UK), just smelled it once or twice and knew it wasn't what I had hoped for. One that I suddenly started liking on a hot day, after using up almost 2 samples and disliking it at first, Armani Code Sport. Using that for hot days now.
    Actually, it was during a couple of warm days in London eight years ago, that I discovered most of my scents weren't up to it, but that Chrome was. Glad you found a scent that suits you during such conditions.
    Regards,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, it was during a couple of warm days in London eight years ago, that I discovered most of my scents weren't up to it, but that Chrome was. Glad you found a scent that suits you during such conditions.
    Regards,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    Attention travelers: For those of you in the US, Walmart sells half-ounce travel sprays of Chrome for $15. (And for those of you who prefer traveling with old-school fougeres, some Walmarts also have Azzaro Pour Homme in the same size at the same price.)

Either one is a steal, especially if you want a great fragrance to carry on vacation that will still leave room in your 1-quart Ziploc at the TSA checkpoint for travel-size Crest and Pantene. Granted, I haven't traveled long distances in over a year - my last visit was Walt Disney World, where there was no need to bring along cologne thanks to the Guerlain and Givenchy boutiques plus other frags (Geir Ness, Bvlgari, etc.) at Epcot. But I do think that Chrome would be a great tourist scent for most destinations.
    I did buy six 20ml travel sprays years ago for use on the plane. But I am now down to four remaining. And when my 30ml bottle is finally empty, I'll have to lug one of my 100ml bottles around with me for non plane use.
    Regards,
    Renato

Basenotes Junkie

Chrome is one of my only scents that lasts 8+ hours on me. Most others last 6 tops. Chrome goes all day, and is quite inexpensive also. My wife loves the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy-j View Post
    Chrome is one of my only scents that lasts 8+ hours on me. Most others last 6 tops. Chrome goes all day, and is quite inexpensive also. My wife loves the stuff.
    Good to hear. It was only 10 or 12 years ago that Chrome was fairly expensive, but it's often a bargain now.

Your username has reminded me of another summer favourite which I have misplaced somewhere. It gives a freshly pressed shirt effect. Wish I had the Tommy T here now for tomorrow morning's flight.
    Cheers,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by timmy-j View Post
    Good to hear. It was only 10 or 12 years ago that Chrome was fairly expensive, but it's often a bargain now.

Your username has reminded me of another summer favourite which I have misplaced somewhere. It gives a freshly pressed shirt effect. Wish I had the Tommy T here now for tomorrow morning's flight.
    Cheers,
    Renato

I'd like to try Chrome Legend, as I've heard that that's pretty good too.

I think Chrome released a 2013 Summer Edition as well, and it's been met with mostly positive reviews.

Chrome is one fragrance I can always rely on finding at Marshall's or TJ Maxx at a big discount. Maybe I'll give it a whirl this summer (I've never actually smelled the stuff!)

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    I'd like to try Chrome Legend, as I've heard that that's pretty good too.

I think Chrome released a 2013 Summer Edition as well, and it's been met with mostly positive reviews.

Chrome is one fragrance I can always rely on finding at Marshall's or TJ Maxx at a big discount. Maybe I'll give it a whirl this summer (I've never actually smelled the stuff!)
    Oddly enough, I'm one of the few here who isn't fond of Chrome Legend. I don't think of it as a particularly summery scent.
    Regards,
    Renato

Basenotes Junkie

I blind bought the 2012 Chrome Summer. Big blast of grapefruit in the opening, no trace of the original Chrome to be found. Not big on longevity or projection, but a pleasant scent none the less. I used it for work this past summer. Definitly worth the $25 i payed for it.
    Does Legend have any of the Chrome dna in it or is it a completely different scent? Wanted to try this a while back, but has since fallen off my radar. Kind of dropped to the bottom of my "to try" list.

Might have been me - your city isn't that far away!

By the way, I picked up a bottle of Pure Havanae in Dubai Mall today. I thought I'd find it somewhere here, but had nearly given up. I can fly out tomorrow a happy man.
    Cheers,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, but with 12 sprays it can be worn in the on-offensive mode.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Good find!

Im in Dubai this weekend.

Glad you had a good time.

for swap/sale:

Better than 90% niche scents out there, it's a shame it gets put down so much. 2 sprays on me will still be going strong 12 hours later.

Google has it's own scent now? Say wahhht!

Good find!

Im in Dubai this weekend.

Glad you had a good time.
    Thanks for that.

We flew out Saturday morning and were home by Sunday morning after a 13 and a half hour flight.

Dubai is really a superb place. However, while the large shopping malls are great, my wife and I were both more impressed with all the little shops down from the Gold Souk to and including Baniyas Square in Deira. It was far more lively, especially at night. One shop was selling everything from Creeds to testers.

I tried heaps of scents I'd only ever read about here, like the Montales, but what I now regret not buying was a potent Oud scent made by Chopard.

We intend to visit Abu Dahbi on our next trip, in a year or two.
    Cheers,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Better than 90% niche scents out there, it's a shame it gets put down so much. 2 sprays on me will still be going strong 12 hours later.
    Of the niche scents I've tried, only the Serge Lutens ones would give Chrome decent competition in the longevity and strength stakes.But they aren't really summery scents like Chrome.
    Regards,
    Renato

Thanks for that.

We flew out Saturday morning and were home by Sunday morning after a 13 and a half hour flight.

Dubai is really a superb place. However, while the large shopping malls are great, my wife and I were both more impressed with all the little shops down from the Gold Souk to and including Baniyas Square in Deira. It was far more lively, especially at night. One shop was selling everything from Creeds to testers.

I tried heaps of scents I'd only ever read about here, like the Montales, but what I now regret not buying was a potent Oud scent made by Chopard.

We intend to visit Abu Dahbi on our next trip, in a year or two.
    Cheers,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Of the niche scents I've tried, only the Serge Lutens ones would give Chrome decent competition in the longevity and strength stakes.But they aren't really summery scents like Chrome.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Sounds you enjoyed both worlds of Dubai.
    Last edited by hedonist222; 10th November 2013 at 07:18 AM.

for swap/sale:

Sounds you enjoyed both worlds of Dubai.
    Sure did.

The weather was a very comfortable 27 or 28 degrees every day, and despite it being sunny, I didn't think the sun was anywhere near as harsh as it is down here in Melbourne during our summer - we weren't being frizzled and sunburned the way we would have been back home (though my brother tells me it is a different story there in June).

However, I think we missed out as we didn't have enough time to do a desert tour.

Only slightly odd thing was how in Baniyas Square, nearly all the hawkers kept trying to talk to us in Russian.
    Very puzzling.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Hell, guys, you manage to make my mouth watery on this. Didn`t pay much attention to it, actually remember it as a little nondescript. Will definitely try it again.
    Se son fiori fioriranno ...

Quote Originally Posted by Eule View Post
    Hell, guys, you manage to make my mouth watery on this. Didn`t pay much attention to it, actually remember it as a little nondescript. Will definitely try it again.
    Interesting. Comments like yours keep me wondering if there isn't some reformulation at play.
    While you are trying it again, also check out CK Free Blue, which to my nose is pretty much a Chrome Lite.
    Cheers,
    Renato