Code of Conduct

Default How similar is Une Fleur de Chanel to Chanel's Gardenia?

Are they similar at all? And if they are not, do you know of any other fragrance the same or very similar to Une Fleur?

Default Re: How similar is Une Fleur de Chanel to Chanel's Gardenia?

Not at all. While Gardenia is found in a tropical environment where the juice is dripping from heavy flowers, Une Fleur can be located in a park with blooming bushes and flowers and grasses moved by a balmy breeze.
    I am usually not so into light florals but maybe you want to figure out what Kenzo has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphite View Post
    Not at all. While Gardenia is found in a tropical environment where the juice is dripping from heavy flowers, Une Fleur can be located in a park with blooming bushes and flowers and grasses moved by a balmy breeze.
    I am usually not so into light florals but maybe you want to figure out what Kenzo has to offer.
    Any specific suggestion?

Basenotes Plus

Welcome to Basenotes UneFleur!

I have tried Une Fleur de Chanel and remember liking it and that it was a floral green. Chanel Gardenia is not very green to me, mostly a floral. You could try getting a sample of Creed Fleurs de Gardenia, it's a beautiful floral green. Une Fleur de Chanel had a little sharp note to it in the beginning, the Creed doesn't have that but it's closer to Une Fleur than Chanels Gardenia is.

Anyone else can opine whether it's similar or not?

Blog Entries

Why do you want to know?, if I could ask. Are you trying to replace it? Has it been discontinued? I bought Une Fleur blind and rarely wear it because it is so linear. I cant remember if I've ever tried Gardenia. I tend not to like that scent as it is too bombastic.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Why do you want to know?, if I could ask. Are you trying to replace it? Has it been discontinued? I bought Une Fleur blind and rarely wear it because it is so linear. I cant remember if I've ever tried Gardenia. I tend not to like that scent as it is too bombastic.
    Une Fleur is discontinued and impossible to find. Someone offered to give me their full bottle for something like 200 dollars and there's one on ebay for 300 dollars which is beyond outrageous.

I'm interested in it because I find the notion of creating an impression of a scentless flower to be compelling, which is what Une Fleur is, it's meant to be a Camellia, which was Chanel's favorite flower. I personally hate Jacques Polge but I still want to try that scent, I live in a very hot country and I am really looking for a refreshing scent that is not citrus or anything like that. I haven't tried Gardenia either but I will buy it in a few days but Gardenia can be very cloying, whereas reading the descriptions of Une Fleur it seems that it would be refreshing and more green rather than the heavy gardenia scent.

Blog Entries

To tell the truth, I prefer 'Beige'. It is far more interesting and is also light and somewhat 'citrusy'. I never think blind buys are a good idea, especially at these prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

Chanel Gardenia is an extremely light perfume, it is not a heavy or big gardenia. It's nice but it doesn't last very long. I also agree with Kumquat blind buys are never a good idea. They sell decants of both on The Perfumed Court or Surrender to Chance or at least they used to, try it out first.
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 9th November 2013 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    Chanel Gardenia is an extremely light perfume, it is not a heavy or big gardenia. It's nice but it doesn't last very long. I also agree with Kumquat blind buys are never a good idea. They sell decants of both on The Perfumed Court or Surrender to Chance or at least they used to, try it out first.
    I buy blind all the time and almost always I like the perfumes lol. They used to have it at those sites but it has since disappeared. I did try Gardenia at the store and it really disappeared from my skin instantly =/ Are you talking about Les Exclusifs Gardenia?

Blog Entries

I just reread your post, you say NOT citrus. Sorry. Do try Beige. It's a charming Hawthorne based scent, very unique, kind of tangy, if that makes sense. It makes me think of a pink chypre. Also, you may like 31 Rue Cambone for the same reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by UneFleur View Post
    I buy blind all the time and almost always I like the perfumes lol. They used to have it at those sites but it has since disappeared. I did try Gardenia at the store and it really disappeared from my skin instantly =/ Are you talking about Les Exclusifs Gardenia?
    Yes, I was talking about the Les Exclusifs Gardenia, it disappears quite quickly. That's why I suggested trying Creed Fleurs de Gardenia it lasts a little longer and is really beautiful. Kumquat has suggested Beige and that's a good suggestion too, I own Beige and I love wearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    Yes, I was talking about the Les Exclusifs Gardenia, it disappears quite quickly. That's why I suggested trying Creed Fleurs de Gardenia it lasts a little longer and is really beautiful. Kumquat has suggested Beige and that's a good suggestion too, I own Beige and I love wearing it.
    I tried Creed's Gardenia at the store but I wouldn't buy it, they are a quack brand.

Blog Entries

I'm curious why you have dismissed all of the Creed line?

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I'm curious why you have dismissed all of the Creed line?

it's too expensive even though their raw materials come from the same place as most other brands but they are three times more expensive, their perfumes do not last, they don't offer anything different in my opinion.