Code of Conduct
    Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default S.O.T.D. - Friday, 8 November 2013.

Hi all - have a great day!

Zeta by Tauer, from a sample.

Default Re: S.O.T.D. - Friday, 8 November 2013.

Havana (Gentleman's Collection).

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning!

vintage Halston Z-14

Good morning all

1932 for the day.

Wielding a sledgehammer and knocking down some walls (actual walls not metaphorical) this evening, I find it a effective form of therapy. Again, in some very glam construction gear. Wonder if Chanel would ever make safety goggles?

Have a great day everyone.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Morning all!

Xscent, may l join you in bashing down those walls? l could do with something to smash up after the week l've had. Still, at last, one more working day before the weekend, TGIF!!!!!!

Wearing Ghost today, to try & keep calm.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Teardrop need all the help I can get, also have a bottle of red open for mandatory rest breaks. Here you go!

Evangeline had a sniff of AE and A900 today side by side and I'm never going to be able to look at that bottle with a straight face again.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post
    Teardrop need all the help I can get, also have a bottle of red open for mandatory rest breaks. Here you go!

That's perfect, thanks Xscent!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good morning all,

yesterday "I went to town" and threw out many samples. Not really thrown them out, but I put them in a nice drawstring cosmetic bag and donated them to a shelf in the drugstore around the corner for a shopper to find. I just had to get rid of superfluous stuff, I could not take it any more. To many scents, so little time ... or is this how the saying goes? (Too many women ... too little time - a man said that.)

Well, the subconscious reason is that my family is awaiting a baby. I will be a first-time grandmother soon. But the due date came and went on Tuesday. Now the young couple and everybody else is on pins and needles.

Let this ramble turn into something perfume-related. I am waiting for two packages in the mail: low end "Realm" and high end "MDCI Paris samples". Then my brain will issue something more perfume related when those bottles will be evaluated ... sniffed.

Thanks for listening. Have a wonderful day.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Ursula how exciting for your family, but yes, the waiting is nerve-wracking. I was a week early both times and it still felt like forever, esp. toward the end, so I can just imagine. Fingers crossed that the little one shows up soon in a safe, healthy delivery.

SOTD is the fun and cheerful Givenchy Hot Couture. Happy Friday all.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Italian Leather by Memo Parfums
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all. Rochas Femme pdt vintage from the early 1980s.
    DONNA

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Good afternoon all !. In synch with ADP Colonia, a fragrance indelibly linked with Bellagio, Italy. The first time we visited Lake Como it seemed as though everyone was wearing it, and I eventually purchased a bottle in a traditional old pharmacy in the historic town centre. Always evocative, and a reminder that we are overdue a return visit.

Ursula, thank you for sharing such uplifting news. Keeping fingers crossed - health and happiness to the new arrival.

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning everyone!

Seems like my tennis has been rained out a lot lately, but not today! It's beautiful out, a bit chilly but clear and dry, perfect for tennis, and for Quartz.

Y'all have a great day!

Evangeline had a sniff of AE and A900 today side by side and I'm never going to be able to look at that bottle with a straight face again.
    Hehe ...picturing the cute little pearls and heels, were you?

Ursula - that is exciting! Best wishes to the mommy-to-be, but early congratulations are definitely in order for grandma - cheers!

Kiliwia, Twolf - yes of course, we all wear what we like regardless of ho-hum reviews, I was just hoping for something really different when I first heard about Iris Prima ...another beautiful, well-done iris and jasmine sounds very nice indeed and I'm curious about Penhaligon's version of it, but now it's sounding a lot like '32, and I already have several "perfect for ballet" perfumes, lol. But as always, the jury's out till I smell it myself, so thanks for your review, K - I'm looking forward to giving it a whirl!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Bentley for Men Intense

Post Thanks / Like

Sympathizing with Ursula on the pins & needles waiting for babies... Like Tdem, both of my first two were "early" (as were both my brother and I), so I figured that was just the way pregnancies went in my family. Then my third child showed up at the very tail end of her actual due date. I was thrilled at the healthy kid, and annoyed at having missed the additional tax deduction for the year by less than two weeks. U, as my husband frequently reminded me then, it's helpful to remember that "due dates" are just estimates!

In synch with the ever-lovely Caron Poivre, which was the one fragrance I put in a travel atomizer for a once-in-a-lifetime family trip to Israel eight years ago. My mother-in-law had sat everyone down a year earlier and informed us that she and my father-in-law had been setting aside a little money every month since the day they got married, in order to take the entire family - whatever that looked like at that point in time - to Israel on their 50th wedding anniversary. Unfortunately my father-in-law had died two years earlier. But my mother-in-law said "This year would've been our 50th. Find dates that work for everyone and I'll book the tickets." There were 14 of us ranging in age from 7 to 74, and we spent an unbelievable two weeks. Almost as amazing was the fact that we all got along for the *entire* trip!

Poivre notes: Pepper, clove, geranium rose base, jasmine, tuberose, carnation bouquet.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: S.O.T.D. - Friday, 8 November 2013.

Have all a lovely weekend
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Post Thanks / Like

Layering The Body Shop Gingerbread body lotion with a
    smidgen of Cinnabar and Youth Dew Amber Nude.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Post Thanks / Like

Histoires De Parfums - 1969 Parfum De Révolte

Wall down. Watching yet more fireworks from bed, listening to Pilgrims' Chours by Wagner and synching in with Cuir de Russie vintage extrait for bed. A holy grail of fragrances one of my most treasured and imbued with memories of all my favourite things.

image.jpg

Evangeline that bottle was positively mincing around in all its finery.

Ursula a big congratulations, hope you are welcoming a new bundle of joy soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations, Ursula, on the grandbaby. That is exciting. It's funny that you are cleaning out, like a mama. Like ComDiva, I had two babies come early-ish (two and three weeks, respectively) then the third one week late, which felt like 3 weeks late. At least. The fourth and final on her due date, though.

Neil Morris City Rain today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

JON, great scent memory/association, great pics. I've been to Garda but not Como. It's on the list.......

Synching too, in Etro Patchouli, an homage to the days of straight patchouli oil, afghan coats, friends, and growing up. ( I could also have worn MKK which I smelled yesterday and I couldn't believe how much it remended me of said afghan coats!). The Etro Patchouli is beautiful, a camphoraceous patchouli certainly but with a lovely aromatic geranium note which works so well.

Peace.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I smell like I just parachuted …

… into an orange grove.

Traveling down Memory Lane to two weeks ago and thinking of
    RHM and the PdN surprise she had for me. I’m wearing the holy-moly neroli Cologne Sologne to bolster my resolve to vacuum and dust. A dear old friend is visiting Milwaukee for Trainfest and will be dropping by this afternoon. Among railfans, our friend Mike Schafer is considered a god. But, then again, a lot of them picture the whole world as they’ve represented it with model trains in their basements.

Xscent, I’ll help! I’ll help! And I'll bring my own sledge. Love that uber-cool photo.

Ursula, I cannot imagine anything more exciting and out of control than awaiting a grandchild. I'm thrilled for you.

Now,
    Jon, I don't have time to get suckered into your mesmerizing photos. Shame on you … again.

Wow,
    ComDiva, a stunning story representing the best that can be about family and tradition.

Our daughter came exactly on her due date. Further evidence that I tend to be precise if not over-exacting. I’ve got to learn to loosen up.
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Post Thanks / Like

Today it's Jovoy Paris - La Liturgie des Heures {again}

Cypress, incense, olibanum, cistus, myrrh, musk.

Now, onto the treadmill and weights workout. But I'll surely smell wonderful while doing that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Vintage Narcisse Noir - just for myself while hanging around the house today. Smells great - though I've never smelled the newer version. Enjoy the weekend!
    Check out my personal blog: http://stayathomedadfindsacologne.com

"Perfume and incense make the heart glad, but the soul is torn by trouble."

-Proverbs 27:9

Post Thanks / Like

House twin with Foustie- on Etro Gomma. Patchouly is on top of my wishlist, after almost one year of exercises on patchouli, the Etro is the one that best approximates my idea of a perfect patchouli.

Have a nice day and weekend
    Last edited by iodine; 8th November 2013 at 04:15 PM.
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wonderful news Ursula! I hope your soon-to-arrive grandbaby lives near enough for you to visit often?

SotD not chosen as my daughter wants to hit the mall later.

Wonderful stories and pics here today, folks. I'm in a bit of a rut, so don't have much to add. But I sure enjoy hearing yours!!!!

SL Un Bois Vanille today, from a small decant. I've enjoyed this one of late.

Post Thanks / Like

Quick stop today, I hope all are well this lovely Friday. I'm in KM Genie de Bois .

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    Good morning all,

yesterday "I went to town" and threw out many samples. Not really thrown them out, but I put them in a nice drawstring cosmetic bag and donated them to a shelf in the drugstore around the corner for a shopper to find. I just had to get rid of superfluous stuff, I could not take it any more. To many scents, so little time ... or is this how the saying goes? (Too many women ... too little time - a man said that.)

Well, the subconscious reason is that my family is awaiting a baby. I will be a first-time grandmother soon. But the due date came and went on Tuesday. Now the young couple and everybody else is on pins and needles.

Let this ramble turn into something perfume-related. I am waiting for two packages in the mail: low end "Realm" and high end "MDCI Paris samples". Then my brain will issue something more perfume related when those bottles will be evaluated ... sniffed.

Thanks for listening. Have a wonderful day.
    Ok, I was soooo confused, wondering how everyone suddenly knew that my name is actually Ursula and that I am awaiting my first grandbaby. (Pretty sure I announced that same thing yesterday also!) This is getting to be like the twilight zone with all these Ursula's everywhere.)

Congrats Ursula! My grandson in due in December, so very close to, but not as close as yours. May yours be super healthy and bring all manner of joy to you and your family.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Staying in synch with another scent / place memory this evening - Kenzo Power Cologne. First purchased as a birthday gift in Queenstown, NZ and a wardrobe fixture since. Unlike Bellagio, Queenstown is actually on the horizon ! - we depart for New Zealand in mid December and will be experiencing it again during our visit.

Enjoy your weekend !

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm wearing Cuir Amethyste today. No special reason, but it called to me stronger than anything else in the perfume cabinet ... I'm excited because Jayhawk basketball starts tonight!

Congratulations to both Grandma Ursulas! Here's to happy, healthy babies

hugs to all ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

One of my very first colognes, I wore it a lot as a teen, and it still smells fantastic:

Devin by Aramis

"One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone! The band of snow is moving our way, hopefully we won't get very much.

lpp, I remember trying Zeta, how do you like it?

Xscent, knocking down walls sounds like great fun and a good stress reliever. Good luck with your project!

Ursula, a grandbaby any day, how exciting! Wishing the mom & baby good health and an easy and safe delivery.

Jon, your pictures make me want to get on the next plane to Italy, what a beautiful place. edit: and now New Zealand, too!!

ComDiva, what an amazing trip for your family to take. Most vacations are not long enough, for you to have two weeks, that's so nice.

Danieq, that is quite a coincidence! Congrats on having a grandbaby in December. My middle son's due date was Jan. 14th, but he came December 19th, quite early, but it was one of the most special Christmases we ever had, with a newborn in the house. Wishing you good health for baby and mom, too!

Wearing Keiko Mecheri Loukhoum Parfum du Soir. This one has been growing on me, I wore it to Chicago and then again this morning. I used to think Loukhoum Eau Poudree was the best of the three Loukhoums, I've changed my mind, this one is better, well, just to me anyway.

Have a great day!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Samsara this evening. l'm knackered.

Quarry would love for you to smash up some wall with me! You are always welcome round my way you sweetheart you.

Teardrop (hugs) roll on the weekend!

Kiliwia thank you, one new kitchen coming up. A bit of destruction is good for the soul. I maybe Minogue sized (for all you Brits) but I'm pretty handy with a sledgehammer.

Jon New Zealand is fantastic will you be there over Christmas? Their Pinots are outstanding, but you are probably are familiar with this fact

About to head off for the morning run a quick spritz of Bel Respiro for me. Have a lovely evening all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    Wearing Keiko Mecheri Loukhoum Parfum du Soir. This one has been growing on me, I wore it to Chicago and then again this morning. I used to think Loukhoum Eau Poudree was the best of the three Loukhoums, I've changed my mind, this one is better, well, just to me anyway.

Have a great day!
    I need to try this one. I got a sample of the original and I like it, but it might be sweeter than I want to wear. I read that this one is not quite so heavy on the sweet. Would you say that is so Kiliwia?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Xscent, hugs back! Hope your demolition job went well.

queen of the universe
    Post Thanks / Like

Synched with Rive Gauche this morning, but the cold I'm nursing has gotten to the point where even Amarige is lost to me! SOTE will be VapoRub.
    Pleasant weekend to all!
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Jon New Zealand is fantastic will you be there over Christmas? Their Pinots are outstanding, but you are probably are familiar with this fact
    Yes, we will be there for Christmas and New Year. I agree that the pinots are wonderful, as are the merlots and sauvignon blancs - we visited a number of vineyards when we toured around the Marlborough region last time and became familiar with many different varieties. My sister and brother-in-law are already stocking up ready for our arrival .

Chypre Palatin

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    I need to try this one. I got a sample of the original and I like it, but it might be sweeter than I want to wear. I read that this one is not quite so heavy on the sweet. Would you say that is so Kiliwia?
    It is a little less sweet and powdery than the original. Also, I think the rose comes through a little more, which I like. I think it's a little easier to wear.

I just realized I posted the wrong picture, lol. I meant to post the Parfum du Soir bottle. I was in too big of a hurry I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey y'all -

I'm in Deneuve ...have a wonderful evening!

Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful store & photos today…thank you.

Quarry, so very, very happy you are enjoying your present. Spritz with abandon, luv!

DD came home early from school today, I think she's mostly heartsick but she could also have a touch of the flu. Either way she's miserable. Her young man has been lying to his parents about where he's been after school. He's been at our house but telling his parents he was getting extra help from teachers. Not cool.

Wearing the stunning CD Vetiver for speaking with the lads' Mama. He's in BIG trouble with her.
    313BpO4lsWL.jpg

SOTE is Histories de Parfum Ambre 114.
    e1b6c997c0a6e03c256b611f3bfb5a90.jpg
    "Mom….now the kitten smells like Chamade!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    DD came home early from school today, I think she's mostly heartsick but she could also have a touch of the flu. Either way she's miserable. Her young man has been lying to his parents about where he's been after school. He's been at our house but telling his parents he was getting extra help from teachers. Not cool.
    Oh dear, that is never fun. Best wishes for a resolution for the situation. These lessons are hard to learn.

- - - Updated - - -

In Chanel Eau Premier for the evening. I think the aldehydes are growing on me.

Post Thanks / Like

SOTD was Rosae Mundi by Profumum, from a sample.

ComDiva, I love Poivre so much, and that's such a great story.

Meow7, good choice with the Jovoy line, some of my favorites. Welcome to the group!

Also welcome to Petrichor, what a great user name.

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Caswell-Massey Verbena tonight
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Post Thanks / Like

Like teardrop. too tired and very ready for the weekend off, finally! I wore Sisley Soir de Lune.