Amber Oud (Body Shop)
    VCA Tsar
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Azzaro PH is some stellar juice!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Top 5 Inexplicably Cheap yet Good Fragrances for Men

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Well, I still think Tiffany for Men is a steal. Of course you have to walk into a Tiffany Boutique and see if it's on display, and if not ask if they still carry it and wait while someone fumbles around in a cupboard etc. but my bet is that if this turned up alongside Derby, Chamade Pour Homme, L'Ame d'un Heros and the Arsene Lupin duo as part of the 'wooden framed set' by Guerlain at USD 250 odd, or even if it was inside the Amouage Beloved bottle at USD 350 or whatever it is no-one would blink an eyelid.
    I recall trying it at a Tiffany's store couple years ago and it was nice, but I didn't end up buying it then. Perhaps it's worth re-visiting.

Are there two different versions of this, though? I did a search and came up with two different listings:

http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/T...-Men-3134.html
    http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/T...Men-12923.html

The first one is better rated, longer lasting, better silage, better overall comments. The second one seems to have different notes in the pyramid and is not as well rated. Did a reformulation occur at some point? How can you tell a vintage bottle (and what are the good vintages?) - in pictures the bottle looks the same.

I haven't encountered different versions. It's basically a classic masculine styled chypriental, 100ml and 50ml. The first note description from your links sounds more accurate but it looks to me like a double listing has occurred with these - the reviews seem to be describing the same thing.

As of 18 months ago I hadn't noticed any serious diminished quality due to IFRA regulations but that could change at any time, of course. It's not exactly a fast mover so my guess is that there's plenty of stock to move before a new compliant brew is required but I grabbed a few back-ups because once it's gone, that's it and there's nothing else out there that comes close in my experience.

Basenotes Plus

Curse you! Now I'll have to go to Tiffany's and pick up a bottle.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's my list of Inexplicably Cheap yet Good Fragrances for Men. Couldn't stop at just 5 so I have two sets of entries:

Encre Noir
    Burberry London
    Gucci pour Homme II
    Guerlain Vetiver
    John Varvatos (original)

Tommy Bahama (the original brown bottle)
    Guerlain Heritage
    Carven Homme
    Drakkar Noir
    Davidoff Cool Water

The price of Z-14 is inexplicable. Same goes for the insanely sublime Bulgari Black.

remik, I like your list. Very nice.
    However, I have not seen Carven for cheap. The price has seemed to skyrocket since discontinued.
    Luckily I have 2 bottles of this redicuously great juice that I got cheap. $20 for 50ml. When I got it, it was already hard to find. But I found a sight selling 1.7 oz for $19.95. I bought a bottle and 3 weeks later bought another. Now I see it going for 3 times that price.

- - - Updated - - -

My top 5
    Carven homme (since I got it cheap)
    Bvlgari Black
    Encre Noir
    Bogart ph
    Lanvin l'homme sport

Honnorable mention

Lalique White
    Altamir Ted Lapidus
    Lolita Lempicka au Masculin
    Franck Olivier Black Touch
    Cereus # 11

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by smoothie72 View Post
    remik, I like your list. Very nice.
    However, I have not seen Carven for cheap. The price has seemed to skyrocket since discontinued.
    Luckily I have 2 bottles of this redicuously great juice that I got cheap. $20 for 50ml. When I got it, it was already hard to find. But I found a sight selling 1.7 oz for $19.95. I bought a bottle and 3 weeks later bought another. Now I see it going for 3 times that price.
    Thanks! $20 for 50ml that is indeed a great bargain! I picked it up for $35 for that size bottle. I just checked eBay and I see it going for as high as $100 for 3.4oz, so you're right, prices are going up. I know of two BN members who have a stash of multiple bottles, both selling them still at $35/50ml, so they can still be had for a reasonable price - hence why they fit on my "cheap" list.

Hey, if you want suggestions for other inexpensive options that are fantastic - check out Lalique White (lemon leaf + white pepper) and Mauboussin M Generation (incense + pepper + sandalwood/cedar/guaiac wood + ginger/cinnamon). Large bottles can be had for about $30-$40. I don't particularly care for the funky M Gen bottle, but, the juice is very nice.

Found a 100 ml bottle of Mr. Blass for $15. Thanks for the suggestion. Old school goodness for those so inclined. I also scored a 100 ml of Azzaro PH for $25 and I can't believe how great that stuff is!

Cheers,
    TC

M Generation has been on my radar. I may pick this up soon. My blind buy addiction kicks in once a month or so and December is coming up. lol
    Thanks for tipping me off for the Carven, but I doubt I will ever need more than what I have. I have about 80 frags and sad to say probably going up. So I rotate and try not to get stuck in a rut. So all my bottles get a little love. Plus samples, minis, and decants. You know.

Wonderful inputs!

Please keep them coming!
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Mr. Bill Blass - bought it blind based on BN raves. The BNers are right again. Don't think, just buy. Amazing bang for the buck.
    Just blind bought based on this thread, as I'm sniffing it on me for the first time...

Quality stuff. Really crisp, compared to it's predecessors. I would flank it alongside Coriolan (>ylang-ylang) and OdlR Pour Lui (>aldehydes).

This one would do well in warmer temperatures, a condition not entirely optimal usually for leather chypres.

Strongly recommended!

Lots of good suggestions here, I'll add a few that I haven't seen yet:

Jaguar Original
    Perry Ellis Portfolio Green
    Nautica Oceans
    Deauville
    Tous Man Sport

A lot of the colognes mentioned are quite expensive down here in Australia. The cheapies I see are:

1) Lomani pour homme (I have seen it as low as $5 a bottle)
    2) Quorum ($15- $18)
    3) One Man Show by Jacques Bogart (as low as $12)
    4) Pino Sylvestri (as low as $13.50 for 4oz on sale)
    5) Lomani Network 1 - a new fragrance, which smells like Cigar by Remy laTour.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Well, I still think Tiffany for Men is a steal. Of course you have to walk into a Tiffany Boutique and see if it's on display, and if not ask if they still carry it and wait while someone fumbles around in a cupboard etc. but my bet is that if this turned up alongside Derby, Chamade Pour Homme, L'Ame d'un Heros and the Arsene Lupin duo as part of the 'wooden framed set' by Guerlain at USD 250 odd, or even if it was inside the Amouage Beloved bottle at USD 350 or whatever it is no-one would blink an eyelid.

In fact, I reckon a lot of people would be going 'holy s***, what is this stuff?'
    I've thought the same thing about Tom of Finland, where you could put that juice into a Roja Dove bottle and put it amongst his other offerings and people would probably say, "I find this one the most approachable of them all."

[QUOTE=Scent-e-mental;2999018]A lot of the colognes mentioned are quite expensive down here in Australia.QUOTE

The same goes for France, UK, Germany and Italy. A lot of people are mentioning mainsteam designer scents which average out at €65 + for 100ml. This is certainly not my definition of cheap. Perhaps in the USA these fragrances are on a completely different price scale ?
    Holiday accommodation, (central apartments in Berlin and south of France) offered in exchange for fragrances. Please pm me.

Basenotes Plus

Yes, pricing seems to be all over the map (no pun intended) when you compare some of these in the US, Europe or Australia. The ones I listed (12 of them) are all under $50 here, most under $30.

I'm bumping this thread from last month, because it has inspired my journey into "cheapies", over the last few weeks.

Off the bat, I must say that I am impressed with the quality of these. As many have noted in their respective reviews (Thanx to Ericrico & RobbieX!) many of these are "classic best sellers" for a reason.

Here is my top 5 list, with impressions, price (CAN) & their similar "high-end" counterparts...

1. Tabac Original (15-20$). The fact that tdwctdwc wore it regularly made me wonder about it. Once I tried it, I had my answer. (Like: Cuir de russie by Chanel)

2. Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui ($25). One of my signature scents now. This one has everything 80's, all in one. (Like: Nothing else.)

3. Stetson (15$). Easily overlooked and derided, this is a great oriental with an awesome jasmine! (Like: eh, shades of Shalimar EdC)

4. Zirh Ikon($20). Incense & spices galore! Puts most of its' niche counterparts to shame. (Like: Comme des Garcons 2 Man)

5. Halston Z14 (10-15$). Where have you been all my life? (Like: Tom Ford Italian Cypress)

I thoroughly suggest any noobs or snobs, to not hesitate to discover the classics.

Thanks everyone for their awesome input in this thread!

So how are the longevity on some of these cheap ones? Obviously I don't expect much, I haven't had much experience with them, the 3 that I own are ferre bergamonte, rochas man, and thallium black. Ferre is average when it comes to projection and longevity, thallium black is a projection beast but it totally disappear on me after 2 hours, the only decent one for me is rochas man

Quote Originally Posted by Arij View Post
    4. Zirh Ikon($20). Incense & spices galore! Puts most of its' niche counterparts to shame. (Like: Comme des Garcons 2 Man)

Interesting beause I find them nothing alike. Ikon is slightly sweet and I understand why people describe it as spices and incense but CDG2Man is so different, not even in the same ballpark, IIRC it opens with that white candle smoke effect and then becomes a light vetiver. I don't get the simiarities at all but I do agree that Ikon is a great cheapie.

Quote Originally Posted by chopwet View Post
    Interesting beause I find them nothing alike... not even in the same ballpark
    I just gave comparisons to the ones mentioned above so that people could wrap their mind about them. Nothing is alike of course, but the synthetic notes and delivery of Ikon, made me think of CdG2Man right away.

For example, Stetson like Shalimar? Not really, but if I were to make Shalimar for Men, it would look a lot like the cowboy juice.

In the past, I have seen Rive Gauche Pour Homme for $25 at Walmart. I have also purchased Rochas Lui from Fragrancenet for $30 for a large tester. These are both top-notch fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Arij View Post
    I'm bumping this thread from last month, because it has inspired my journey into "cheapies", over the last few weeks.

Off the bat, I must say that I am impressed with the quality of these. As many have noted in their respective reviews (Thanx to Ericrico & RobbieX!) many of these are "classic best sellers" for a reason.

Here is my top 5 list, with impressions, price (CAN) & their similar "high-end" counterparts...

1. Tabac Original (15-20$). The fact that tdwctdwc wore it regularly made me wonder about it. Once I tried it, I had my answer. (Like: Cuir de russie by Chanel)

2. Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui ($25). One of my signature scents now. This one has everything 80's, all in one. (Like: Nothing else.)

3. Stetson (15$). Easily overlooked and derided, this is a great oriental with an awesome jasmine! (Like: eh, shades of Shalimar EdC)

5. Halston Z14 (10-15$). Where have you been all my life? (Like: Tom Ford Italian Cypress)

I thoroughly suggest any noobs or snobs, to not hesitate to discover the classics.

Thanks everyone for their awesome input in this thread!

Arij,

Are you referring to the current formulations?

Cheers,
    TC

Quote Originally Posted by tigercasual View Post
    Are you referring to the current formulations?
    These are the versions I have tried/referred to...

Tabac Original EdC: Late 90's & Current / Not much difference between the two. A little dabbling in the musk quality?

Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui: Current & Vintage / Current is good & diffused, while the vintage has oakmoss & is more potent "for nothing really".

3. Stetson: Current

4. Zirh Ikon: Current

5. Halston Z14: Current & Vintage / Current has shorter longevity and diffused sillage. Vintage has oakmoss performance, of course.

I scored another "inexplicably cheap yet good fragrance" this weekend. That being said, I have to put in a vote for Mustang- as in the fragrance produced by Aramis for the car manufacturer. But trust me, this is no ordinary car manufacturer fragrance. This is one excellent composition that feels as if it's made from quality ingredients- no harsh synthetics. If I had to categorize Mustang, I would say that it's a woody, oriental, tobacco based fragrance with a touch of sweetness. If I had to compare it to other fragrances, I would compare it to Gucci Pour Homme II, Burberry London, with a touch if Azzaro visit in the drydown.

Although I compare it to the aforementioned, Mustang is more subtle and has a quiet charm all its own. By the way, although it has "quiet charm", Mustang is quiet powerful and has excellent longevity. I scored my 1oz bottle for a mere $5. That is crazy!

Basenotes Plus

Get Mr. Blass and don't look back, remik!

I found this scent relatively early on (long before it was listed on Fragrantica - only here on BN), and was astounded by its sheer quality. Price is pointless.

A great blog post that I have shared more than once, but feel compelled to do so again - http://sartoriallyinclined.blogspot....r-bastian.html

And an homage to the late Mr. Bill Blass himself (cigarette in hand...his signature) - http://mrpeacockstyle.blogspot.com/2...ill-blass.html

Not the greatest longevity, but it wears close so it can be a bit deceiving. With the price point, you could reapply a wearing and not look back.

Revillon R - another dear scent to me...as many know. Glad to see the warm reception by so many fellow Basenoters of this 'lost' Roucel creation.

I will throw in one more - Oscar for Men (Oscar de la Renta). Unique. Sharp yet warm. Wonderful spices, use of elemi resin and a great dry down. Very natural in its feel - not synthetic to me at all.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post

From your list, I've only ever tried Blue Jeans - but found it too synthetic. However, I just checked reviews for Mr.Blass here on BN and on fragrantica, and... I'm intrigued. No negative reviews, overall very highly rated (at or nearly at 5/5 stars), much higher than most other popular fragrances. Notes sound interesting. And price - oh my... around $15 for a big bottle. I think I'll just add it to my next Amazon order, just for the heck of it. Worst case scenario - bathroom spray. ;-)
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui
    Van Gils classic
    Lagerfeld classic

Basenotes Plus

Good stuff here Vin!

I was looking to see if anyone mentioned Zirh Ikon...great stuff for the money! Balmain Carbone is too. Montana - hard to beat for the price and its old-school macho, green vibe.

Not a big fan of Black Touch. Have it and it's too synthetic for me. Iso E Super + alcohol + water is ingredient list.

And, I've heard very good things about Altamir...need to get a bottle. From the Ted Lapidus house, TL Pour Lui (Maurice Roucel is the nose) is incredible juice! And, another Roucel - Bogart Pour Homme needs yet another mention.

This thread comes up every month when we get a new member who is on a budget - not complaining, but a reminder to all of us who realize that a sticker price is not always reflective of what you get.

And, a final mention - ANYTHING from the Caron house!

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    Ted Lapidus Altamir
    Balmain Carbone (its hard to find though)
    Franck Olivier Black Touch ( similar to Terre D'Hermes)
    Zirh IKON
    Montana
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Here is my list:

Samba (all) they are under $12.00 ea.
    Drakkar
    Joop Nightflight
    Lagerfeld
    Nautica (all)
    DeBaron
    Zara (all) I like gold
    Ed Hardy (all) I like the black bottle one

Tim McGraw: Southern Blend

Halston Z 14!!!!

The Italian Cypress of the '80s

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Thumbs up Re: Top 5 Inexplicably Cheap yet Good Fragrances for Men

Quote Originally Posted by Tappio View Post
    Lots of good suggestions here, I'll add a few that I haven't seen yet:

Jaguar Original
    Perry Ellis Portfolio Green
    Nautica Oceans
    Deauville
    Tous Man Sport
    I'm glad somebody else gives Deauville some love. What a nice tobacco scent. A little powdery. Nothing groundbreaking, but great longevity and a great fragrance for very little money. What's not to like?

Basenotes Junkie

Blind bought Mr. Blass because of this thread....for $16 ( 125ml 4.2oz) with expedited shipping included from NY. Pure awesomeness is all I can say. Its old school leather with some floral. The first 5 min is not a good indicator ....just give it a little time to mellow. Fabulous scent!

and Tabac... no question .. buy it. Buy them BOTH while you still can!
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior Privee, Chanel Exclusif, Creed, Maison Francis Kurkdjian, MOLECULE 01
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Silver Scent
    Bogart PH
    Ted Lapidus Black Extreme
    Ted Lapidus
    360 White-Black-Red
    Just purchased Ted Lapidus Black Extreme recently and have to agree with this recommendation. In my limited experience, this juice is unique in that it has elements of both the traditional 80's powerhouse frags and more modern, sweeter masculine fragrances that are in fashion today. The top notes start off all macho and soapy/green, but then, when it dries down, it leaves this sweet, creamy Tonka-ish smell on the clothes. The interplay of these two contrasting elements (macho vs. soft) is fun to experience. Amazing that a $20 perfume can show such vivid development and character.

Rochas Man, Drakkar Noir and Cerruti pour homme.

I cannot drum up 5 right now but Nautica Voyage takes the cake for me. You can get a bottle on amazon for like $17, and it's a very reasonable aquatic.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud Musk______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire

Why So Serious?

Rive Gauche Pour Homme can still be found from $19 to $29 here.

But one that still pops up here and there on Ebay for a good price is Fendi Life Essence. Underrated summer gem.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Creed Spice & Wood
    5. Bond 9 Harrods Oud

Rochas Man
    Michael Jordan Legend
    Perry Ellis 360 Red
    Set Sail St Barts
    Cuba Royal

Quote Originally Posted by HackerX View Post
    Rive Gauche Pour Homme can still be found from $19 to $29 here.

But one that still pops up here and there on Ebay for a good price is Fendi Life Essence. Underrated summer gem.
    Point me in the right direction and I'll get a bottle of Rive Gauche!
    "All the best perfumes in history have something that smells like garbage in them; that's what keeps drawing you back."

Why So Serious?

Quote Originally Posted by expressway View Post
    Point me in the right direction and I'll get a bottle of Rive Gauche!
    If it's Rive Gauche you're asking about, go to your local Walmarts. I'm not sure if you live in my region, so it might not apply. During Christmas time, this stuff was on sale for $19.99 in lots of Walmarts.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Creed Spice & Wood
    5. Bond 9 Harrods Oud

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Jridgen View Post
    I cannot drum up 5 right now but Nautica Voyage takes the cake for me. You can get a bottle on amazon for like $17, and it's a very reasonable aquatic.
    Love this cheap juice.

Perry Ellis 360 Red is also up there.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    I recall trying it at a Tiffany's store couple years ago and it was nice, but I didn't end up buying it then. Perhaps it's worth re-visiting.

Are there two different versions of this, though? I did a search and came up with two different listings:

http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/T...-Men-3134.html
    http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/T...Men-12923.html

The first one is better rated, longer lasting, better silage, better overall comments. The second one seems to have different notes in the pyramid and is not as well rated. Did a reformulation occur at some point? How can you tell a vintage bottle (and what are the good vintages?) - in pictures the bottle looks the same.
    I bought a bottle last month at Tiffany's online.. It was $115 if I remember correctly

was $95

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item...searchkeyword=
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ― Oscar Wilde

Zirh Corduroy
    Zirh Ikon
    Animale Animale
    Ungaro III
    Halston 1-12
    Bogart PH
    Lapidus Black Extreme
    Mr. Blass
    Salvatore Ferragamo PH
    McGraw Southern Blend
    Caron Third Man
    Jovan Musk
    Antonio Banderas Blue Seduction
    Zion Davidoff
    Last edited by SpanishFly; 28th March 2014 at 01:40 PM.

From what I smelled recently and the price pleasantly surprised me was
    Yang - Jaques Fath
    Homme Exceptionnel Mont Blanc

Beautiful and different. Also quality is good.

Many Caron's are absolutely cheap and great. Think of Yatagan - $30/40 for a gallon (think it's 125 ml?) of the best dark/dry/earthy/animalic/smoky/whiskey-stained scent around.

On the less-cheap side but still totally affordable (50-70 EUR), Parfum d'Empire is one of the best. Together with some Comme des Garçons - notably their Incense line, absolute genius and quality.
    My current top five:

Etro - Vetiver
    Slumberhouse - Ore
    Parfum d'Empire - Cuir Ottoman
    Hermès - Equipage (vtg)
    Geo F Trumper - Curzon

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

My sales - WORLDWIDE | Vtg Signoricci 1 & Signoricci 2 - EDT 200 ML BNIB | http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...DT-200-ML-BNIB

My 5 most recent super nice , cheapies !!

Zirh Ikon
    Roccobarocco Extraordinaire
    Vizzari for Men
    Animale Animale
    UDV Action

Did anyone mention Lanvin Avant Garde?

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    Many Caron's are absolutely cheap and great. Think of Yatagan - $30/40 for a gallon (think it's 125 ml?) of the best dark/dry/earthy/animalic/smoky/whiskey-stained scent around.

On the less-cheap side but still totally affordable (50-70 EUR), Parfum d'Empire is one of the best. Together with some Comme des Garçons - notably their Incense line, absolute genius and quality.

Yes, many Carons are exceptional value indeed.

Five that spring to mind for me are:

Azzaro Pour Homme
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Lalique Encre Noire
    Van Cleef & Arpels Midnight in Paris EDT
    Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme.

Baldessarini Concentree can also be found at a reasonable price and is a superb fragrance.

British Sterling. Just as good as many department store offerings.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by ScentedBlood View Post
    Did anyone mention Lanvin Avant Garde?
    I agree that this one belongs on the list.

+1 Rocahs Man
    +1 Aspen
    +1 Nautica Voyage
    +1 Lanvin - Avant Garde
    Curve

There's nothing inexplicable about something inexpensive having value. I could name dozens.

CK One Shock for Him is very cheap and a good scent.

Quote Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
    There's nothing inexplicable about something inexpensive having value. I could name dozens.
    so you donated your valuable time to tell us that , instead of naming a couple of yr dozens !!
    comments like that are as useful as a box of arseholes

I would add Bentley for Men Intense up there too, it's available on line at discount prices.

Quote Originally Posted by ScentedBlood View Post
    I would add Bentley for Men Intense up there too, it's available on line at discount prices.
    Never seen this at a discounter. Where do you suggest me getting it from?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I'm from the UK, I got mine from an eBay seller but there's a site called Beauty French who are selling it for around £25 + delivery which is seriously cheap for the quality of this fragrance.
    Last edited by ScentedBlood; 20th March 2014 at 11:39 AM.