Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Top 5 Inexplicably Cheap yet Good Fragrances for Men

I have been a frag head for over 2 decades and as such, I have come to understand certain truths about fragrance. One truth is that price and value are not always directly proportional. Over the years, I have discovered and encountered several jus that were ridiculously cheap yet beautiful. By beautiful I mean a fragrance that is what it is supposed to be: a wonderful aroma that intrigues, evoking feelings of delight and well being, encased in a bottle that is as nice to behold as it is to hold.

Here are my top 5:

1. Mr. Blass by Bill Blass
    Launched in 2009, Mr. Blass is a transparent combination of all things late 70's and early 80's. It comes across as a cologne strength or "legere" or "fraicheur" version of many well loved frags, lovingly dubbed Powerhouse scents here on BN. What you get is all the wonder of a powerhouse without losing any nose hairs while preserving the air quality of those around you. As of this writing, there are 9 reviews spanning 3 years, all thumbs up and all singing the praises of Mr. Blass; yet you can have this for less than $4 an ounce with shipping within the US included. That, is dirt cheap for this beauty.

2. Blue Jeans by Versace
    The Versace Jeans line featured Blue, Baby Blue, Green, Black and Metal jeans for men. They were all quirky and very Italian: loud, but pleasantly so. They all became bargain basement for several years, following the death of Gianni. However, the others have started to climb steadily, leaving Blue and Baby Blue behind in the world of less than $5 an ounce. Blue is my favorite here, an oriental gourmand (sweetened grapefruit head and gooey cinnamon and vanilla heart) that has yet been bested by a mainstream designer. You simply can't beat the masculine warmth VBJ brings on a cold winter day, not to mention the ladies will not leave you alone. Caution: It is VERY strong, 2 sprays max is my prescription.

3. R by Revillon
    This is one of those fragrances that, though uncomplicated and simple, conveys a natural aura of clean masculinity. If I wanted a house spray that did not smell like cologne/perfume, this fits like a snug glove. It smells like cardboard to me, the packaging variety that I used to sniff as a child. It works very well for an everyday office scent that is guaranteed to not offend. At $3 an ounce for a pour bottle of EdT, this is a bargain not to be missed. It's the cure for the too much cologne/perfume blues.

4. Z-14 and 1-12 by Halston
    These are cheapies, probably the cheapest here, but considering the awful mess being launched today, it is hard to pass up the Halston brothers. They are similar, launched at the same time and sharing a lot of the same ingredients. I consider these skin scents, because of their musky nature and how close to the skin they lie. They are the non-abrasive darlings of the powerhouse era, and can still be rocked today. I always get positive comments when I wear these. Less than $4 an ounce.

5. Iceberg Homme by Iceberg
    Icerberg as a fragrance house pretty much gets little to no respect, yet there are gems in their collection. Mt personal favorite is Icerberg Hommme. This is a fresh pepper scent; lots and lots of pepper yet it is fresh and a touch sweet. The jus is lux as well as energetic, with just a hint of an animalic note to keep you sniffing. I have sampled some others from Iceberg, most notably Twice, a masculine synthetic oriental for the serious faced man. There are several other offerings from Iceberg that are dirt cheap ($4 or less an ounce) and though I have not tried them all, I am intrigued.
    Last edited by Andrewthecologneguy; 8th November 2013 at 07:50 PM.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Top 5 Inexplicably Cheap yet Good Fragrances for Men

... and then his computer crashed (was going to say "he died while typing #3" but that's a bit too morbid).

Lol! Died and came back to life! My laptop is less than 6 months old and is displaying terrible behavior already. Good thing I got the warranty.

All 5 are visible now
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Quite the mystery.

* NO LONGER A MYSTERY.
    Last edited by martinijo; 8th November 2013 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Confirmation received that Andrew was still alive .

Carbone de Balmain
    Solara Homme
    Agate Homme
    Graphite
    Vertical Limit
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewthecologneguy View Post
    Lol! Died and came back to life!

From your list, I've only ever tried Blue Jeans - but found it too synthetic. However, I just checked reviews for Mr.Blass here on BN and on fragrantica, and... I'm intrigued. No negative reviews, overall very highly rated (at or nearly at 5/5 stars), much higher than most other popular fragrances. Notes sound interesting. And price - oh my... around $15 for a big bottle. I think I'll just add it to my next Amazon order, just for the heck of it. Worst case scenario - bathroom spray. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewthecologneguy View Post
    Lol! Died and came back to life! My laptop is less than 6 months old and is displaying terrible behavior already. Good thing I got the warranty.

All 5 are visible now
    Is this a message from beyond the grave?

Bergamatto Marino
    Michael Jordan Legend
    Ted Lapidus Altamir
    Rochas Man
    Thallium

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Graphite
    As in Graphite Montana? If so, I've been eyeing it for a while, just always afraid this cheapie would be low quality. But after checking it again, it was done by Nathalie Lorson, who has done fragrances for Lalique (like Encre Noir), Bentley for Men (regular and Intense) - which are all awesome fragrances. I think I shall order Graphite as well - it's been way too long on my to-buy list.

Well until we get the rest of Andrews list, here goes my list taking into account his criteria about bottle presentation/cost/feelings evoked/ect.:

1-Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin
    Low price, with a very unique scent.(and bottle) Long lasting and have wonderful thoughts of winter when I wear it.

2-Curruti Image
    Comforting, if not a little strange scent(Johnson and Johnson "no more tears" shampoo vibe) Fun sprayer mechanism to boot!

3-L'elbolaro Meharees
    Very simple but elegantly old school bottle....sometimes you have to admire a minimalistic approach.(especially when it contains such a surprisingly fantastic juice!!!) Did not expect such a wonderfully complex and enchanting fragrance when I first opened, but after first spray I still remember the awe I was feeling!

4-Thallium Black
    Awesome presentation(package and bottle)for dirt cheap! Frag also is unlike anything I've smelt, dark and spicing but lots of sweet apple at the same time. Longevity and projection on me are monstrous and for cold weather only with this linear badboy. Among with Burberry London, nothing else scream fall to me more. Sometimes though the syntheticness gets on my nerves after a few hours.

5-5 way tie!lol Just SO many!
    Set Sail St Barts-beach party in a bottle
    Nautica Voyage-classy heavy bottle, wonderful long lasting summer scent
    Franck Olivier Sunrise-See above description
    Diesel Plus-plus-amazing scent, in a wonderfully weird but charming pill/old milk container
    Fraglux Bellagio-truly one of a kind unique bottle and probably cheapest on this list....but a sharp citrus/floral that doesnt overstay its welcome is sometimes just what the doctor ordered!

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    As in Graphite Montana?
    That's the one.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Bergamatto Marino
    Michael Jordan Legend
    Ted Lapidus Altamir
    Rochas Man
    Thallium
    Yes Rochas Man!(damn, forgot about that one for my list!) Legend is awesome too!!!

Some of my favorites that can be found pretty cheap:

1) Dirty English
    2) Perry Ellis 360 Red
    3) Nautica Voyage
    4) Burberry Weekend
    5) Chopard Noble Cedar
    6) Encre Noire
    7) Kenneth Cole Black

Azzaro Visit
    Cerutti Image Harmony
    Dunhill Desire Blue
    Guess Seductive
    Brooks Brothers Black Fleece (Red)
    "All of my 2012 batches of Aventus smell EXACTLY the same...even the grey market one with an Arabic lot sticker on the bottom of the bottle." - BT260

Picked up 3x1.7oz bottles of Mandarina Duck Black for $9.99/each at Marshall's today. Completely blind, but based on the reviews, I'm hoping it will end up on this list.

- - - Updated - - -

Just opened one of them and sprayed it on paper... liking it a lot off the top! And the bottle is a thick, heavy glass... great presentation. For $9.99, this is already looking like a great buy. And they're still selling this size/fragrance at Barney's and Dillard's for $58. Might go back to Marshall's and get a few more lol.
    Last edited by mjones602; 8th November 2013 at 10:35 PM.

All locals, many knock offs.

Down here designer's scents mentioned are really expensive.

Wow! Lots of names I don't recognize (Graphite Montana for example).

I second a bunch of these, especially Ferre's Bergamotto Marino, forgot about that one!

I'll add Essenza del Tempo by Trussardi.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Banned
    Blog Entries

Silver Scent
    Bogart PH
    Ted Lapidus Black Extreme
    Ted Lapidus
    360 White-Black-Red

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Silver Scent
    Bogart PH
    Ted Lapidus
    360 White-Black-Red
    This is a great list of options

Old Spice. I've been bingeing on it lately. Strangely, I actually prefer the latest EdC version to the vintage Shulton I purchased online. . . hmmmmm. . .

Also a big fan of Tabac Original EdC. Hands down the best bang for the buck men's fragrance ever.

Love Halston Z-14 and 1-12. You can't go wrong with them.

Jovan Musk For Men / Jovan Sex Appeal - try to act like you don't love them. And wipe that smirk off your face right now.

Mr. Bill Blass - bought it blind based on BN raves. The BNers are right again. Don't think, just buy. Amazing bang for the buck.
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 9th November 2013 at 12:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mjones602 View Post
    Picked up 3x1.7oz bottles of Mandarina Duck Black for $9.99/each at Marshall's today. Completely blind, but based on the reviews, I'm hoping it will end up on this list.

- - - Updated - - -

Just opened one of them and sprayed it on paper... liking it a lot off the top! And the bottle is a thick, heavy glass... great presentation. For $9.99, this is already looking like a great buy. And they're still selling this size/fragrance at Barney's and Dillard's for $58. Might go back to Marshall's and get a few more lol.
    Dude that is UNBELIEVEABLE! So jealous, been wanting to try this one for awhile and can't go wrong at that price!!! Have TJ MAXX and ROSS, but alas no Marshall's with in 100miles!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Silver Scent
    Bogart PH
    Ted Lapidus
    360 White-Black-Red
    Yes, awesome list Tony!!! Only one I haven't tried off it is Ted Lapidus, which I here has a nice pineapple note?(which sounds kind of unique and odd for such a old school frag?)

my top 5:
    Rochas Man
    Jacomo Rouge
    Perry Ellis M/360 Red
    Burberry London
    Cuba Gold/Red

Quote Originally Posted by bigbz View Post
    Dude that is UNBELIEVEABLE! So jealous, been wanting to try this one for awhile and can't go wrong at that price!!! Have TJ MAXX and ROSS, but alas no Marshall's with in 100miles!
    You might want to check TJ Maxx, as I believe TJ Maxx/Marshalls are the same company.

Okay, these are some of my favorite threads!

Here are Five great inexpensive frags (with two bonus picks since they are by the same makers) in no particular order.

Beckham Homme/Signature
    Cuba Paris Red
    Caesars Man
    Brooks Brothers Black Fleece Red/White
    Pino Silvestre

Cheers,
    TC

Among my favourite cheapies:

Cella Colonia Classica (a real bargain this)
    Bigelow Bay Rum
    Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood
    Crabtree & Evelyn West Indian Lime
    Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve

Sound Scents

Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills
    Montana Parfum d'Homme (redbox) by Montana
    JHL by Aramis
    Gianfranco Ferre for Man by Gianfranco Ferre
    Caesars Man by Caesars World
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frdric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'dri) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Just one for now:

Sung Homme

In no particular order and a non-exhaustive (sort of) top five list of personal favorites:

Caron pour un Homme
    Caractere by Daniel Hechter
    Preferred Stock by Coty
    Yardley Citrus&Wood
    Ungaro III

1-Quorum
    2-Cerruti 1881
    3-Versace Blue
    4-Diesel plus plus masculine
    5-Ck One

Many are the "nowadays cheap prices" good fragrances, for instance Nemo Cacharel, Paco by Paco Rabanne, Gianfranco Ferre for Men, La perla by La perla, Romeo Gigli Classic Pour Homme, Enrico Coveri Pour Homme, Quorum, Horizon Laroche, One Man Show Bogart, Ambre Noir Yves Rocher, David Beckham Instinct, Jacomo de Jacomo etc etc etc.

Ken, are talking about the current Ungaro III formula? I was wondering if this was worth buying.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    In no particular order and a non-exhaustive (sort of) top five list of personal favorites:

Caron pour un Homme
    Caractere by Daniel Hechter
    Preferred Stock by Coty
    Yardley Citrus&Wood
    Ungaro III

OK... Limiting it to 'inexplicably cheap yet good' and only 5 (which is not easy!)

#1 Nicole Miller for Men - Keep seeing it at Marshalls, etc. for $10. Really very good.

#2 Bijan for Men - I just love this one. Some say it smells like cardamom. It's unique and always cheap.

#3 Azzaro Visit - If you like cedar / incense, there aren't many like it at this price.

#4 Z-14 - Andrew was right about this one. Always available at a low price, always good.

#5 Quorum - There's only one like it, and it's always cheap.

talking under $20 for a big bottle:

halston z-14
    tabac original edc
    grey flannel
    montana d'homme red box
    quorum
    offsite sales: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

offsite splits: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=617

current top 5, random order: Xerjoff Zafar, Vero Onda, Chanel Coromandel, Indult Reve en Cuir, Ex-Idolo 33

favourite categories: oriental semi-gourmands, ouds, vetivers

TABAC edc ...............
    PINO SILVESTER........resinous pine rich

Quote Originally Posted by tigercasual View Post
    Ken, are talking about the current Ungaro III formula? I was wondering if this was worth buying.
    I've owned many bottles of Ungaro III in my life, few days ago i've purchased a made in Italy new formula (is not my first new formula bottle for sure) and i have to say that the dry down is still great on my skin, probably some differences are lingering in the top in comparison with the old bottles i used to wear long time ago but this fragrance is still a solid choice (if you aim to project a classic, mysterious and manly aura) in my humble opinion. Bye. :-)

Cerruti L'Essence de Cerruti pour homme
    Azzaro Chrome
    Versace Pour Homme
    Karl Lagerfeld Lagerfeld Classic
    Chopard Noble Cedar

Quorum
    Giorgio BH
    Red for men by Giorgio BH
    VC&A PH
    Tsar VC&A

ps. Dirty English is sold at 70 Euros here at Douglas (maybe this belongs to the inexplicable expensive list!)
    guess that mostly are dated and not requested by those hungry for novelties! the most of the regular perfume buyer not the scent freak!

In no particular order:

VC&A PH
    Zino
    Adolfo Dominguez Vetiver Hombre
    Vermeil
    Drakkar Noir
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Sounds like I have to appropriate some funds towards this venture, now that I have opened Pandora's box

Here is the list of those that have piqued my interest so far (and my $300 budget):

Chopard Noble Cedar
    Adolfo Dominguez Vetiver Hombre
    Yardley Citrus and Wood
    Franck Olivier Sunrise
    Brooks Brothers Black Fleece (all)
    Montana D'Homme (Red)
    Ted Lapidus (all) [I love everything from this house so far]

I eventually want to buy everything on here that I have not tried. I am just so tired of new launches that *SUCK* (the new Burberry Brit flanker comes to mind).

Thanks for the contribution!
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Hommage a L'Homme Lalique

Ted Lapidus Altamir
    Balmain Carbone (its hard to find though)
    Franck Olivier Black Touch ( similar to Terre D'Hermes)
    Zirh IKON
    Montana
    Last edited by vinramani09; 11th November 2013 at 06:10 PM.

Lalique Encre Noire (can be found for under 30$/100 ml tester)
    Lalique Hommage A L'Homme
    Chopard Noble Cedar
    Chopard Noble Vetiver
    Azzaro Visit
    Mauboussin M Generation
    Bergamotto Marino
    Zirh Ikon
    Mugler Pure Shot (lately price dropped significantly; probably in the minority here, but i enjoy it's refreshing mint and the longevity on my skin is great, +8 hours).
    24 Gold (in my country it can be bought for 28$/100 ml)

Inexpensive recent purchases that I'm very happy with...

Quorum
    Zino
    Boss #1
    Oscar Pour Lui
    Drakkar Noir

Quote Originally Posted by joe mcclaine View Post
    Inexpensive recent purchases that I'm very happy with...

Quorum
    Zino
    Boss #1
    Oscar Pour Lui
    Drakkar Noir
    Nice list of great value scents. I would maybe swap Cerruti 1881 and Daniel Hechter Caractere for Drakkar Noir.

I've got to agree with:

Quorum
    OdlR Pour Lui
    Giorgio for Men

but I also want to add:

Caron Third Man - is it $20 a bottle? No but it is still so inexpensive for the magic you get in that bottle.
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru - you're just not going to find a vetiver fragrance of the same style and quality without paying at least three times what this one costs.

Jovan White Musk, Nicole Miller for Men.

Quote Originally Posted by mjones602 View Post
    You might want to check TJ Maxx, as I believe TJ Maxx/Marshalls are the same company.
    Yep, stopped by TJ's on the way home friday night....no luck though.

Blog Entries

1. Jovan Sex Appeal
    2. Azzaro PH
    3. Rochas Man
    4. Quorum
    5. *insert any Caron here

STILL trying to figure out why I don't love the Lapidus. I've been trying to get along with it for a few months now.

Thanks to the OP for the heads up on Mr. Blass - sounds like it's up my alley.
    Check out my personal blog: http://stayathomedadfindsacologne.com

"Perfume and incense make the heart glad..."

-Proverbs 27:9

Quote Originally Posted by Darvant View Post
    I've owned many bottles of Ungaro III in my life, few days ago i've purchased a made in Italy new formula (is not my first new formula bottle for sure) and i have to say that the dry down is still great on my skin, probably some differences are lingering in the top in comparison with the old bottles i used to wear long time ago but this fragrance is still a solid choice (if you aim to project a classic, mysterious and manly aura) in my humble opinion. Bye. :-)

Thanks Darvant!

Default Top 5 Inexplicably Cheap yet Good Fragrances for Men

Of the 4, I highly recommend Chevignon for men. Nothing cheap come close and it beat many of my expensive scent.

It has the similar torch of dior homme intense and chanel allure homme. Test it yourself
    Last edited by iMac; 9th December 2013 at 10:45 AM.

The one that as child was available at Discount store Pierre Cardin "Pour Monsieur" classic bottle...
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Exactly! How Cheap?

Under $20.
    Old Spice Original - by Shulton
    Tabac Original
    4711 - A bargin if you like TF Portifino Neroli

Talking over $25 but under $50 there a lot of them to be had today on discount sites.

Quote Originally Posted by mspa View Post
    talking under $20 for a big bottle:

halston z-14
    tabac original edc
    grey flannel
    montana d'homme red box
    quorum

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    Nice list of great value scents. I would maybe swap Cerruti 1881 and Daniel Hechter Caractere for Drakkar Noir.
    Oh yes, Daniel Hechter, now you're talking.

Varon Dandy
    Pino Silvestre
    Cuir Sensuel, Daniel Hechter/ Francis Kurkdjian, (collection couture)
    Tabu
    Marakech Tales, (re-released under the name Fishbone Man)
    Last edited by david; 19th November 2013 at 11:50 PM.
    Holiday accommodation, (central apartments in Berlin and south of France) offered in exchange for fragrances. Please pm me.

Rochas Man
    Burberry London
    Rive Gauche
    L'erbolario Meharees
    Solo Loewe Intense

Realy cheap but good fragrances:
    1) Animale - Animale <---- Something like A*Men
    2) Franck Olivier - Black Touch <---- Something like Terre d'Hermes.
    3) INCC Group - Christopher Columbus 1492 <---- Something like Kenzo Homme.
    4) Coty - Aspen <---- Something between GIT and Cool Water
    5) Zirh - Ikon <---- Nice fragrance with alot of Incense

In no particular order:
    1) Tommy Bahama For Men - this hasn't been mentioned yet but really is a nice scent, similar (not identical) to Gucci PH 1.
    2) Acqua Classica Borsari - another unmentioned one, a scent similar to AdP but frankly I find more wearable because it's not as flowery. Perfect for summer.
    3) Bogart PH
    4) Azzaro PH
    5) Rochas Man

Trying to keep these as much under $30 a bottle as possible. There's also Caron Yatagan and L'Anarchiste. If you are willing to go up as high as $50, that opens up Burberry London, Encre Noire, and the as-yet unmentioned Eau Des Baux.
    Last edited by insomniac; 20th November 2013 at 05:24 PM.

Well, I still think Tiffany for Men is a steal. Of course you have to walk into a Tiffany Boutique and see if it's on display, and if not ask if they still carry it and wait while someone fumbles around in a cupboard etc. but my bet is that if this turned up alongside Derby, Chamade Pour Homme, L'Ame d'un Heros and the Arsene Lupin duo as part of the 'wooden framed set' by Guerlain at USD 250 odd, or even if it was inside the Amouage Beloved bottle at USD 350 or whatever it is no-one would blink an eyelid.

In fact, I reckon a lot of people would be going 'holy s***, what is this stuff?'

Maxims Pour Homme is also a great one if you find a bottle - I bought a few at about USD 10 a piece.

Ungaro Apparition Intense
    Davidoff Zino
    The Bark Bites Back.

Most of what I would suggest already has been mentioned. But there`s still the wonderful ...

... Gainsborough G-Man ...
    Se son fiori fioriranno ...