Code of Conduct
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    The other one I tried was Norne and it was ok but not something i could wear as it was so concentrated and distracting.

I have a sample of Pear & Olive but I'm a bit apprehensive in trying it. I don't want to be running to the bathroom to scrub it off.
    Jack, do yourself a favor and try Ore extrait. I am almost certain it will be your favorite from the line.

P&O hits a personal sweet spot with me. It reminds me of outside family gatherings on a late spring afternoon, so i'm biased towards that one.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

I will put it on the list to sample, it does sound like it's my cup of tea. I have had a rough ride from the two I have tried so far.

I will put it on the list to sample, it does sound like it's my cup of tea. I have had a rough ride from the two I have tried so far.
    Try Ore Extrait and thank me later. I think i know your tastes .
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Quote Originally Posted by tdwctdwc View Post
    Jack, do yourself a favor and try Ore extrait. I am almost certain it will be your favorite from the line.
    +1. My fav from the line, and the only one I own a fb of. I think it's the most crowd pleasing fragrance he's done to date.

Try Ore Extrait and thank me later. I think i know your tastes .

Agree, Jack - Ore is a lot 'easier' to wear than the others
    It's very comforting imo.

Recent mention of Pear+Olive in this thread, plus the arrival of near perfect midsummer (I know, its not yet midsummer) conditions in my area this Memorial Day, have prompted me to don P+O extrait as my sotd. And I must say, I am enjoying it totally. It does start out sweet (from the nozzle, it is very sweet), more than I typically like. But after a few minutes, that olive note kicks in and tends to moderate the sweet. I also get a salty note after a while, so there is sweet, oil, and salt, to my nose, for the longer haul. This combo says summer to me. I will be outdoors all day, and it may just be that P+O is an outdoors, sunny day scent. I doubt I would ever wear it to the office.

I understand P+O is being re-re-formed, back to its EdP concentration. I never tried the EdP, but imho, the extrait is pretty great as is, and has the benefit of wearing pretty closely to skin, as most of the SH extraits do, so I don't have to worry about how it plays to other noses.
    Last edited by james1051; 26th May 2014 at 03:59 PM.

Just received Ore today! Finally! What a scent.

My current top five:

Yohji Yamamoto - Yohji Homme (vtg)
    Jil Sander - Man
    Comme des Garçons - Black
    Naomi Goodsir - Bois d'ascèse
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

Congrats, Colin Maillard

Any of the uk bners, noticed the opening of ore is like a sweetened beef oxo cube?

Sorry, veggie here

Quote Originally Posted by NenMaster View Post
    Any of the uk bners, noticed the opening of ore is like a sweetened beef oxo cube?
    Having just applied some it's a slightly boozy, rich cocoa right now

Well I have managed to get a sample of Ore (Thanks Yarn) and it is the nicest one I have tried from the house so far.

I'm picking up dark chocolate and woods with a hint of a lacquer. It smells like earthy chocolate, the wood smell is of good quality to.

So I guess this one makes up for nearly been sick from trying Vikt, only A*Men has giving me the same reaction before.

So thumbs for Ore and I can see why Colin purchased a full bottle after testing it. Very nice!

Glad you're enjoying it, Jack

Well I have managed to get a sample of Ore (Thanks Yarn) and it is the nicest one I have tried from the house so far.

I'm picking up dark chocolate and woods with a hint of a lacquer. It smells like earthy chocolate, the wood smell is of good quality to.

So I guess this one makes up for nearly been sick from trying Vikt, only A*Men has giving me the same reaction before.

So thumbs for Ore and I can see why Colin purchased a full bottle after testing it. Very nice!
    I had a feeling you would like that one. I personally prefer the "original" espirt version, but that was a love at first sniff kind of thing. Still, I wear and enjoy the extrait version often.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

I posted this on another thread a bit earlier today with no luck...figured maybe this was a better place and could use a healthy revive...

More recently I've been taken by smokey scents. Bois d'Ascese has really hit the right buttons for me and become a favorite upon first sniff. I'm wondering about the most recent "extrait edition" of Slumberhouse Jeke. Has anyone sniffed more recently that would be willing to share their thoughts? I used up my sample a while back, when this scent first came out and never really took down notes or anything.

How are the smoke notes in the extrait? More or less prominent...? Which do you prefer - is the new version worth obtaining? The only thing I've noticed between the two are the color differences and the actual bottle variances. Looking forward to hearing thoughts of other Slumberhouse lovers on this one..
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I posted this on another thread a bit earlier today with no luck...figured maybe this was a better place and could use a healthy revive...
    I'd give people a little more time to respond—at least time to get home from work Also, given the nature of this scent, I can't imagine many people have been wearing it much in the middle of summer—it's clearly a winter-y scarf and peacoat affair.

I'm not a fan of Jeke in its current form—it's just too much smoke with a strong leathery component running through it. It's gone through several iterations, starting as a fairly cade-heavy monster, then becoming more nuanced last year with greater emphasis on the vanillic amber core. As it stands, it's a dry, charred, leathery tobacco but the smoke overwhelms the tobacco note and much of the dynamics aren't discernible until about an hour or so in. The base is essentially an ambery tobacco, but it's smoldering from start to finish. With that said, it's very popular and people seem to love the smokiness of it in its current state, but I'm not really one of them.

More recently I've been taken by smokey scents. Bois d'Ascese has really hit the right buttons for me and become a favorite upon first sniff. I'm wondering about the most recent "extrait edition" of Slumberhouse Jeke. Has anyone sniffed more recently that would be willing to share their thoughts? I used up my sample a while back, when this scent first came out and never really took down notes or anything.

How are the smoke notes in the extrait? More or less prominent...? Which do you prefer - is the new version worth obtaining? The only thing I've noticed between the two are the color differences and the actual bottle variances. Looking forward to hearing thoughts of other Slumberhouse lovers on this one..
    I can offer my thoughts. I've lived with my bottle for about a year now, but I first tried the extrait back in March of 2013. While I haven't worn it super recently (warm weather), it is definitely smoky. It's not BdA smoky, but it is no slouch. It is definitely featuring cade and leather in the forefront, but that super smokiness doesn't last forever. The longer it sits on my skin the less noticeable it is. Might be olfactory fatigue, might just be the denseness of the materials finally wearing off. Either way, it definitely transitions into something different. What starts out as a smoke (cade) and leather (and of course tobacco) show turns more into benzoin, tobacco, and soft spices kind of thing. It's hard to describe. That being said, if you like smoky scents and you like Josh's stuff, I think it'd be a homerun. I feel like I know your tastes :P.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

If you are looking for pure bonfire smoke, or forest fire!, the older EdP version of Jeke is your ticket. In the extrait, the smoke is there, but welll mixed with resins, leather, booze and a green cigar wrapper note. I prefer the extrait. But if you really like the smoke, you might just prefer the EdP.

Now, is the Jeke in the new bottle being released shortly the EdP, the extrait or a new third thing? DI might know, I don't.

Thanks deadidol, james1051 and OctaVarium. Boring week at work, I got slightly impatient :-) Sounds like one I need to seek out. I too am interested if Jeke's one of the tweaked scents in the current bottle.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Basenotes Plus

For what it's worth, when I wore Americana Rust it immediately reminded me of Jeke minus the "nastier" and tea aspects of the Slumberhouse. I am just going off memory here and I haven't worn Jeke recently (also, I've only worn AR once). I'll try to sniff on paper later and elaborate if someone doesn't before that.

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    For what it's worth, when I wore Americana Rust it immediately reminded me of Jeke minus the "nastier" and tea aspects of the Slumberhouse. I am just going off memory here and I haven't worn Jeke recently (also, I've only worn AR once). I'll try to sniff on paper later and elaborate if someone doesn't before that.
    When I wore Americana Rust I got some similarities, but mostly in the style of tobacco used. I can't say the cade/leather thing was particularly pronounced for me as it is in Jeke. YMMV

Sonoma Scent Studio Fireside Intense -- now that's a smoky campfire fragrance if I ever smelled one. Definitely check it out.

I have a feeling that those who appreciate Slumberhouse's usual style may be thrown for a curve on this one.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Any initial thoughts? I know it's hard to wrap your head around these fragrances until after a few wears.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    I have a feeling that those who appreciate Slumberhouse's usual style may be thrown for a curve on this one.

So the e-boutique is back with some interesting changes. The increase in price doesn't disturb me, have to say. However, I'm very interested to know if or how the entire line has changed given the radical changes in color!

It would be nice to see sample packs - does anyone know if they are in the pipeline?
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    So the e-boutique is back with some interesting changes. The increase in price doesn't disturb me, have to say. However, I'm very interested to know if or how the entire line has changed given the radical changes in color!

The price has gone up 60% in a year... I bought a 30ml vikt in december for $100! I like the new bottles, but I liked the old colours better! And I imagine the new bottles must be tiny without the beads.

The text on the new boutique pages is totally illegible though!
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

I zoom in the page view

Any initial thoughts? I know it's hard to wrap your head around these fragrances until after a few wears.
    Yes. See the Sadanne thread!
    Last edited by Akahina; 22nd August 2014 at 04:18 PM. Reason: update
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

I got a sample in yesterday from a mysterious party. I'll post my initial thoughts below (right as I've sprayed it on and let it sit for about 10 minutes):

Well, I definitely get berries again, not unlike Zahd. I wonder if Josh has a new fascination that is gravitating away from the darker stuff? Anyway, the berry note is hard for me to pick out, but I'd lean toward cranberry again if I was poked, but it does have that almost raspberry citrusy vibe that blood oranges (I can only speak for "real life" blood oranges, as I have yet to smell a proper blood orange scent) often have. I also get some kind of alcohol style note in here. Nothing harsh, so I would venture to say something in the white wine territory. In fact, that was the second thing I noticed outside of the berries. There is something lurking in here that I can detect from a non-Zahd work of his as well. I think it is Vikt (the new extrait), but I cannot for the life of me put a pin in what exactly it is. Like my fellow fragrance fan above me, I'm not the best at identifying or dissecting notes, nor am I a particularly experienced person when it comes to fragrances in general.

That being said, I've tried almost all of Josh's library past and present, and I have to say this is definitely different. I think it draws on ideas from Zahd for sure, but I'll have to give it the full wearing (a few actually) before I offer any additional thoughts (I won't even say if I like it or not yet, it's still too early).
    Last edited by OctaVariuM; 22nd August 2014 at 03:45 PM.

Did we kill off the dedicated Sadanne thread? I know it started getting trolled, but much of the key info about the scent is over there.

Maybe we should compile them together?

Here it is, just in case people lost it: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/386...nne?highlight=
    Last edited by deadidol; 22nd August 2014 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Did we kill off the dedicated Sadanne thread? I know it started getting trolled, but much of the key info about the scent is over there.

Maybe we should compile them together?

Here it is, just in case people lost it: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/386...nne?highlight=
    Yeah, I think it would be worth merging it here. There was definitely some good info discussed on that thread.

I lost that thread and I personally don't think it should be combined with this one. I will post my thoughts there if yo u like. I await you decission...
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

Default Slumberhouse Discussion

There's a dedicated Jeke thread lurking around as of late too. It might get messy if we smash them all. I just saw like 6 Slumberhouse threads popping up yesterday and would hate to see it become Aventus!

P.S. Sadanne is w-e-i-r-d

I'm fine with whatever the mods want to do. I can repost my stuff there or you can do that, deadidol. Either way. Whatever makes it easier on everyone to find the necessary information.

And for what it's worth, I agree with the weird thing...at least so far. Are you getting any of that VIkt-like thing I'm smelling or am I just crazy? I've tried to focus on it and I am damn near sure they share something.

Could we perhaps keep a dedicated thread for now? I know we have them for Zahd and others, and although it's not ideal to have a discussion thread (there are actually two, I believe) and individual scent threads (there are several), it seems that the alternative would be too messy . . . I think.

And, I don't detect any Vikt, but I do get a slight raisin type effect akin to Rume, but it's way buried.

Could we perhaps keep a dedicated thread for now? I know we have them for Zahd and others, and although it's not ideal to have a discussion thread (there are actually two, I believe) and individual scent threads (there are several), it seems that the alternative would be too messy . . . I think.

And, I don't detect any Vikt, but I do get a slight raisin type effect akin to Rume, but it's way buried.
    Maybe that's what I'm getting then. I got that same feeling from Sana as well.

I get the raisin too! Not sure if I would have recognized that if you hadn't pointed it out DI. Do you say weird because it is such a departure from his typical style?
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Here's a link to the thread for Sadanne discussions.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/386...grance-Sådanne

After a long search, I landed a bit (15 mL, probably will outlive me) of SH Rume, and man o man is it good! You all knew this, but I have been way behind the curve on this one, and others. I am lighting candles for the return this fall of Rume, and Bacque! Something to look forward to...

Some lingering bottles of Zahd have been added to the Slumberhouse site, just in case anybody missed out and still wants one. It's just a few, so jump on it if you want it.

LOL! Has anyone noticed the threesome silhouette image, which may cause offence to some?

http://www.slumberhouse.com/shop

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    LOL! Has anyone noticed the threesome silhouette image, which may cause offence to some?

Oh yes - it did (& there were complaints)...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post

Magnificent picture. Looks difficult. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Magnificent picture. Looks difficult. :-)
    But the image could have been sharpened a bit more...

Oy,

Anyone tried the new spin on pear+olive? How bout the new Jeke? same as the extrait or??

I'm pretty sure only P+O was changed. The rest are different colors due to the materials changing in color, not the actual formula used in the fragrance. Don't quote me on this, but I feel like it was mentioned before.

Really interested to hear what changed in Pear & Olive. i really enjoyed my sample while it lasted but Ore Extrait was the one that won itself a bottle spot in my collection instead.

Okay, I'll say a few words here about what's changed.

P+O has been returned to its original formula from the EdP days and the levels have been adjusted accordingly. What that means is that, the recent extrait's pear note always had a slightly spiky feel to it—as though there was something a tad harsh / shrill sticking out. Consequently, the pear seems less prominent and more integrated now, even though its balance in the mix is largely the same. Also, the massoia-ish coconut note that triggered impressions of suntan lotion has also been integrated a little more, giving the whole scent a slightly creamy feel but in a way that's more balsamic than lactonic. Because of the perceived dip in the pear and the massoia, the boozy cognac smells a tad more pronounced now whereas before it was harder to spot.

While these shifts are subtle, they've moved P+O from the kind of scent I'd visit infrequently to something with much greater versatility and I've actually been wearing it quite a bit. It's like the balance has been re-calibrated, the spikier facets have been EQd, and the overall scent is much more rich as the result. It's no longer just a summery feeling scent, but something much more transitional.

Norne has actually gone through a few changes as well. The goal here was to dial back some of the harsh turpenes found in the absolutes. This was done by switching out a few of the absolutes with different versions, and that's what resulted in the shift in color (it's no longer dark green and it won't bruise / goop up your skin anymore either), but it was also accomplished by tweaking a couple of component levels to fit into the new blend, and that has caused a few subtle changes to the scent profile.

One person mentioned to me that they think it seems more green now, but I actually find that it's a little more woody/brown—certain patchouli and spice notes that are more discernible create the impression of sticks in my mind now. However, it smells about 95% just like the original—almost like Norne with more focus. Another aspect worth noting is a switch in the frankincense that has opened up this aspect of the scent for me in a surprising way. I've never really understood when people said they can smell the incense or smoke in Norne, but I sure can now. The levels are the same, but the shift in material has produced a wider and more vivid incense profile that, when combined with the slight emphasis on a woody note (again, patch and spice creating that impression for me), sends Norne into more incense-genre territories. Whereas prior, I always considered it to be the ideal forest floor scent (I still do, really), were someone asking for an incense recommendation, I'd also include Norne in the list now.

The overall effect is that Norne does feel a little different to me—veering more toward ultra-sappy stick-incense and with several of the more brutal facets flattened out. The dynamics are all still present, and some of the rougher edges are still there (it's the nature of Norne to be that way after all), but the pissier turpenes that kick the scent off have been tamed. It performs about the same as the extrait (although I need to test this more) in that it's not pitched at a room-clearing volume like the 2012-ish versions, but it's still a big scent.

I don't think Jeke or Ore have changed at all.

One last thing I'll mention is that discrepancies in blends are always going to be an issue with scents like Norne due to the nature of the materials—many of these absolutes and essences are susceptible to seasonal harvest changes, but much larger casks are being used now to produce the scents, so if there are shifts in material profiles, they won't be noticeable by the wearer as much. A sample of Norne today should smell very similar to a bottle of Norne purchased next summer. With that said, if you've sampled Norne (or P+O) in the past six months, you might want to seek out an updated sample from one of the distributors just to make sure you're okay with any slight shifts.
    Last edited by deadidol; 1st September 2014 at 03:45 PM.

Okay, I'll say a few words here about what's changed.

P+O has been returned to its original formula from the EdP days and the levels have been adjusted accordingly. What that means is that, the recent extrait's pear note always had a slightly spiky feel to it—as though there was something a tad harsh / shrill sticking out. Consequently, the pear seems less prominent and more integrated now, even though its balance in the mix is largely the same. Also, the massoia-ish coconut note that triggered impressions of suntan lotion has also been integrated a little more, giving the whole scent a slightly creamy feel but in a way that's more balsamic than lactonic. Because of the perceived dip in the pear and the massoia, the boozy cognac smells a tad more pronounced now whereas before it was harder to spot.
    Wow, that's exactly what i "think" i wanted my extrait sample to smell like and that's probably why i didn't aim for the full bottle, because of the spiky linear rough edges aspect.

EQ'd, creamy and balsamic huh ? Well i guess i have to email indiescents and ask them if they carry samples of the new one, which i doubt they do at the moment.

I will make sure i get my hands on it to smell it.

Thank you .

EQ'd, creamy and balsamic huh ? Well i guess i have to email indiescents and ask them if they carry samples of the new one, which i doubt they do at the moment.
    I'd give the distributors a little more time to switch to the new bottles—a few more weeks perhaps. They may have stock of the old version that they need to move through, so there could be a bit of an awkward switchover, but it's all happening right now, so it shouldn't be much longer.

thanks for the explanation DI

Looks like Luckyscent now has the new stock, including the new-ish P+O. I notice they list Zdravets (geranium), as the first note. I never noticed geranium in P+O, but will "look" for it on next wearing.
    Last edited by james1051; 1st September 2014 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    thanks for the explanation DI

Looks like Luckyscent now has the new stock, including the new-ish P+O. I notice they list Zdravets (geranium), as the first note. I never noticed geranium in P+O, but will "look" for it on next wearing.
    Zdravets is actually quite a dull note—almost grey in tone, and kind of fatty. It's a very dense resin that's a pain to work with, but it comes from a specific part of a specific kind of geranium—something called a "woody-stemmed geranium," I guess. Geranium proper (or Geraniol, which is probably more common) tends to have rosy, peppery, herbaceous feel to it. Perhaps think of zdravets in P+O as a texture of sorts and it might make more sense.

thanks again

I'd give the distributors a little more time to switch to the new bottles—a few more weeks perhaps. They may have stock of the old version that they need to move through, so there could be a bit of an awkward switchover, but it's all happening right now, so it shouldn't be much longer.
    Cool, i'll wait.

Luckyscent does not deliver to my country so Indiscents is practically my only reference for Slumberhouse.

Looks like the Zahd got snapped up quickly! Congrats to the new owners.

I'm curious about the new P+O, may have to seek out a new sample soon. The older one was not quite my thing.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

I have Slumberhouse Ore Extrait on this morning, recently acquired from parfum1 via sample purchase. I don't have my Ore EdP anymore, however, I vaguely remember the smell. The extrait I have from parfum1 seems done in the same vein but MUCH more sugary and sweet in the opening. After the first couple hours this seems to be closer to the original EdP. Does anyone know what new additions this new extrait has that's contributing to the sharp and sugary opening?
    Last edited by rynegne; 5th September 2014 at 01:48 PM.

Not positive on the additions honestly, I might have an old email I could dig up on the matter though. As for the differences between the two, I've always found them pretty different. For some reason I ADORE the esprit, and while I also love my extrait, the esprit just has a special place in my heart (and like all fragrances that do...I rarely wear it).

The esprit was really really nice, after wearing the extrait for 4 hours thus far I can say that I don't think I'll be getting a bottle. There's this vanilla/burnt sugar accord that doesn't seem to dissipate - minus that I think I'd be purchasing.

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Not positive on the additions honestly, I might have an old email I could dig up on the matter though. As for the differences between the two, I've always found them pretty different. For some reason I ADORE the esprit, and while I also love my extrait, the esprit just has a special place in my heart (and like all fragrances that do...I rarely wear it).

Ryan, I think Parfum1 might have screwed something up as Ore extrait is notably less sweet than the EdP. EdP had a top-heavy cocoa absolute that dominated whereas the extrait reels that in to reveal all the musky balsams. It's creamier, but shouldn't be sweeter.