Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 180 of 940
  1. #121
    Dependent OctaVariuM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Coastal Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,761

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Well, Josh was nice enough to set aside Jeke, Norne, and a backup bottle of Sova for me, so I should be purchasing them as soon as he sends the invoice! I'm a very happy fragrance enthusiast right now. These added to the collection make 7 scents my household owns from him (Pear and Olive being my mothers).
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

    Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

  2. #122

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Norne has sold out.

  3. #123
    Dependent OctaVariuM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Coastal Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,761

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Norne has sold out.
    According to Josh I got the last bottle !
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

    Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

  4. #124

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Bought Vikt + mare.

  5. #125

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    I couldn't decide between Ore, Jeke or Vikt...ended up going with Vikt after a bit of consideration.

  6. #126
    Basenotes Plus
    juanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,193

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    My girlfriend got me Norne (she wanted to get it for our anniversary but I told her to wait for the sale).The only other thing missing from the current collection (aside from Pear and Olive, which doesn't match me well) was Ore and I got that.

    In the next few days I should be receiving bottles of Vikt, Zahd, Norne, Sova, and Ore.

  7. #127

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Is Zahd shipping soon?

  8. #128

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    ^ Late December as of right now. It's just a matter of waiting for the new packaging to arrive, and hoping that the holidays won't cause any delays. The juice itself is ready to go.

  9. #129

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Thanks for reporting. I'm anxious to smell it.

  10. #130

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    ^ Late December as of right now. It's just a matter of waiting for the new packaging to arrive, and hoping that the holidays won't cause any delays. The juice itself is ready to go.
    Have you seen the new packaging? I'm really excited for Zahd and seeing what he's done.

    Also, so glad this sale is going well for Josh. Finances kept me out of it, but hearing that Norne sold out so early is nice to hear.

  11. #131

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by rouj View Post
    Have you seen the new packaging? I'm really excited for Zahd and seeing what he's done.
    I haven't! I'm as in the dark about the design as everyone else here.

  12. #132
    Dependent OctaVariuM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Coastal Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,761

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    There is really nothing like Norne in the world. It is in a class by itself in terms of realistic woods fragrances.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

    Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

  13. #133

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    There is really nothing like Norne in the world. It is in a class by itself in terms of realistic woods fragrances.
    I agree that Norne is unique, but the camphorous mintiness that the green pine gives kinda ruins it for me.

    I'm just coming around to Ere by PK Perfumes, and I rate it a better realistic woods fragrance. It's less green, like Norne in autumn, but still very outdoors-y.

    Even though I'm a big fan of Josh's (9 bottles and 3 smaller bottles of the older juices), I'm more likely to buy the Ere if I want a forest-like smell.

  14. #134

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    I agree that Norne is unique, but the camphorous mintiness that the green pine gives kinda ruins it for me.

    I'm just coming around to Ere by PK Perfumes, and I rate it a better realistic woods fragrance. It's less green, like Norne in autumn, but still very outdoors-y.

    Even though I'm a big fan of Josh's (9 bottles and 3 smaller bottles of the older juices), I'm more likely to buy the Ere if I want a forest-like smell.
    Ere is excellent, just different. It's more polished, refined, and focuses on the more beautiful aspects of the forest whereas Josh's is more splattery, expressionistic, and includes some of the ugliness of nature for good measure. Personally, I think they're different enough to own both.

    Then you have Juniper Ridge that "out-naturals" them both, but good luck with that stuff

  15. #135

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Yeah not a huge fan of most of the JR stuff (if I don't like the camphorous aspect of Norne, clearly not many of the JR line are going to be my style), but they are accurate representations of the imagery they're going for.

    When they make a cologne for the Cascade Glacier, though, I'll be buying that for sure.

  16. #136

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    When they make a cologne for the Cascade Glacier, though, I'll be buying that for sure.
    Sounds like Grev to me

  17. #137
    Basenotes Plus
    juanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,193

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Sounds like Grev to me
    Amen.

  18. #138

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    I didn't get much time with Cascade Glacier, but I liked the smell more than Grev.

    I'm disliking Grev less as the time goes on, but the trademark SH balsamic/mineral quality that I like in so many other scents, keeps me from 'getting' it.

    I like the stronger clove in it that balances out the greenery, and I get something in there that makes it smell like a SH citrus fragrance.
    I've not seen any citrus notes listed in any pyramids, so it could be a combination of notes creating that feel.

    Still not FB worthy when there are things like Vikt and Baque out there.
    Last edited by timdoeswell; 29th November 2013 at 10:34 PM.

  19. #139

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    Still not FB worthy when there are things like Vikt and Baque out there.
    For me, it's one of the best -- but it's one that took some getting my head around. What's so impressive about it to me is that not only does it evoke an icy mountain stream for me, but I've had other people mention the same thing when I've worn it. I think that's a very difficult headspace to pull off through scent, but somehow it works. The somewhat difficult and chilling effect that it opens with is a combination of clove, orris, and apple. The only citrus he really uses is clementine, and that was in Kote and there was some in Rume, too.

  20. #140

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    I was late to party as I just got back home and Norne is sold out. Oh well it sounds many here hit pay dirt. Congrats.

  21. #141

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by TNBLUEMIKE View Post
    I was late to party as I just got back home and Norne is sold out. Oh well it sounds many here hit pay dirt. Congrats.
    Yeah, unfortunately you have to jump on these sales -- no waiting around. A bunch of orders went through right at midnight.
    Norne's not going anywhere, but that was the last chance (for now) to get it at that price.

  22. #142

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Norne's not going anywhere...
    I was wondering about that Deadidol. Ore had to be reformulated due to costs (and it still works), Zahd and Vikt are limited due to the costs associated, Sova was discontinued due to difficulties in finding ingredients, are you aware of this potential with any of his other current creations? I would hate to see the current primary 4 get discontinued unexpectedly this upcoming year for these reasons.

  23. #143

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by rouj View Post
    I was wondering about that Deadidol. Ore had to be reformulated due to costs (and it still works), Zahd and Vikt are limited due to the costs associated, Sova was discontinued due to difficulties in finding ingredients, are you aware of this potential with any of his other current creations? I would hate to see the current primary 4 get discontinued unexpectedly this upcoming year for these reasons.
    It'll always be a bit of a crapshoot because he uses such rare and obscure materials, so there's no guarantees. But for the most part, the components that are in Norne are sustainable, so there should be no major problems. It's when he makes something out of Ear of Unicorn, Dodo Musk, or something that's just mind-blowingly expensive to source, that he runs into problems. That's all part of the brand though, so inconsistency is a bit of a given.

  24. #144

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately you have to jump on these sales -- no waiting around. A bunch of orders went through right at midnight.
    Norne's not going anywhere, but that was the last chance (for now) to get it at that price.
    Early bird catches the worm I won't make that mistake next year.

  25. #145
    Super Member VintagePoison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    502
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    I purchased Jeke with Slumberhouse's Black Friday sale, and also missed out on Norne. I didn't really have a need for Norne right away (as it's not my favourite) but hearing about the bottle change made me panic so I bought Norne on another site. I like having all of my bottles match.

    Norne can be found with a 25% Black Friday discount on http://www.indiescents.com (25% off all fragrances with the promo code: cedar)

    You're welcome!
    Looking for THE femme fatale scent. If you think there is something I should smell please PM me!

  26. #146

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Thank you. I'll definitely check this out. They have Sonoma Scent Studio also when does this sale end?

  27. #147
    Super Member VintagePoison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    502
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by TNBLUEMIKE View Post
    Thank you. I'll definitely check this out. They have Sonoma Scent Studio also when does this sale end?
    These deals will apply through Monday, December 2. A lot of great deals to be had as a lot of niche fragrances never go on sale.

    EDIT: And only 2 bottles of SOVA left.
    Last edited by VintagePoison; 30th November 2013 at 01:28 AM.
    Looking for THE femme fatale scent. If you think there is something I should smell please PM me!

  28. #148

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by VintagePoison View Post
    These deals will apply through Monday, December 2. A lot of great deals to be had as a lot of niche fragrances never go on sale.

    EDIT: And only 2 bottles of SOVA left.
    Good to know as well.

  29. #149

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by VintagePoison View Post
    Norne can be found with a 25% Black Friday discount on http://www.indiescents.com (25% off all fragrances with the promo code: cedar)
    I think it's 20% and doesn't include Sonoma Scent Studios. I know because I was over there right now trying to buy a bottle of Full Incense!

    Still, they've got some other great stuff -- Lisa Kirk's Revolution anyone?

  30. #150
    Super Member VintagePoison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    502
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    I think it's 20% and doesn't include Sonoma Scent Studios. I know because I was over there right now trying to buy a bottle of Full Incense!

    Still, they've got some other great stuff -- Lisa Kirk's Revolution anyone?
    Ah, I missed the fine print on their FB page.

    "TODAY is BLACK FRIDAY!!!

    Fragrances are 20% off site wide. (A couple of exceptions apply.)
    Use coupon code "cedar" at checkout.

    Our new jewelry is 15% off.
    Use coupon code "ruby" at checkout.

    These deals will apply through Monday, December 2.

    Now is a great time to stock up for yourself or for those on your gift list!!!"

    Booo, sorry!
    Looking for THE femme fatale scent. If you think there is something I should smell please PM me!

  31. #151

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    ^ Still a good deal! The code wouldn't work for Lisa Kirk either (12ml is too small it seems). Was looking forward to smelling like tear gas and decaying flesh for the holidays too :'(

  32. #152
    Dependent OctaVariuM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Coastal Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,761

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    It's when he makes something out of Ear of Unicorn, Dodo Musk, or something that's just mind-blowingly expensive to source, that he runs into problems.
    This is the best thing I've read all week.

    That's what happened with Sova. The stuff was just so rare that once the stock was up, I guess it was over. Still my favorite scent from the house.

    And on a side note, I've been in love with Jeke lately. I didn't love the EDP, but I feel the extrait was a step in the right direction. The smoky notes were turned down a bit I feel, and the leather was turned up. It's very unique. I'm glad to have a bottle on the way at last.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

    Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

  33. #153
    Super Member VintagePoison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    502
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    ^ Still a good deal! The code wouldn't work for Lisa Kirk either (12ml is too small it seems). Was looking forward to smelling like tear gas and decaying flesh for the holidays too :'(
    Hahahahah!! What a bummer!
    Now I gotta check this scent out.
    Looking for THE femme fatale scent. If you think there is something I should smell please PM me!

  34. #154

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Does anyone know what was cited for the dropping of Baque? Between this thread and the still hidden long old thread, I don't think I've ever seen a negative opinion of it. Was this another victim of materials becoming scarce?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  35. #155

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Does anyone know what was cited for the dropping of Baque? Between this thread and the still hidden long old thread, I don't think I've ever seen a negative opinion of it. Was this another victim of materials becoming scarce?
    There are times when he feels like an idea has been exhausted and no longer represents what he's doing (usually around the time a cask runs dry), but that one had a number of parallels to Sova (even though you can tell them apart), so having both share the spotlight seemed a bit awkward, Sova was arguably the more developed scent (despite its divisive nature), but Baque, to me, was and is one of his best. To be honest, I think it'll make a return sometime in the future now that Sova's out of the picture.

  36. #156

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    There are times when he feels like an idea has been exhausted and no longer represents what he's doing (usually around the time a cask runs dry), but that one had a number of parallels to Sova (even though you can tell them apart), so having both share the spotlight seemed a bit awkward, Sova was arguably the more developed scent (despite its divisive nature), but Baque, to me, was and is one of his best. To be honest, I think it'll make a return sometime in the future now that Sova's out of the picture.
    Sounds good enough to me! I got to the show late and haven't ever smelled it. It does sound great, and I am a fan of Sova. Thanks for the info!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  37. #157

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Sounds good enough to me! I got to the show late and haven't ever smelled it. It does sound great, and I am a fan of Sova. Thanks for the info!
    It's much smoother than Sova, although it's more smoky. It's basically a very resinous, amber-y, creamy thing with tobacco and apricot. The apricot is very dry and really adds to the creamy effect. It's incredibly loud, though -- a half spray again will do the trick.

  38. #158

    Default Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    It's much smoother than Sova, although it's more smoky. It's basically a very resinous, amber-y, creamy thing with tobacco and apricot. The apricot is very dry and really adds to the creamy effect. It's incredibly loud, though -- a half spray again will do the trick.
    Now you're torturing me, hahaha. I very much prefer strongly projecting fragrances. Ultimately, the reason I passed on bottles of Jeke, Vikt and Pear + Olive was that they sit too close to the skin for my tastes. I still admire the beauty in those, just preferred more projection.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  39. #159

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Now you're torturing me, hahaha. I very much prefer strongly projecting fragrances. Ultimately, the reason I passed on bottles of Jeke, Vikt and Pear + Olive was that they sit too close to the skin for my tastes. I still admire the beauty in those, just preferred more projection.
    They've definitely been tamed in that regard. His earlier stuff was WAY loud, but blistering volume can sometimes be read as a little tacky and inconsiderate—which really doesn't fit this aesthetic at all. Then again, I can only wear a half-spray of Jeke, P+O, and Vikt myself as I find them all to be blasting loud still. Ore has been tamed to about the right level for me.

  40. #160

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Baque is incredible. I know it was an exclusive fragrance for indiescents when it was released. Might have been limited in materials...this stuff smells like the distillery houses at Maker's Mark in the hills of Kentucky.

  41. #161

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Agree with both deadidol and rynegne - Baque is incredible and one of my favorites from Slumberhouse.

    Let's see how much of a change Zahd's had compared to the 2 or 3 versions of samples I got. I can never doubt deadidol, he's dead on target all the time with rgds to notes / changes etc; if I feel the same way with Zahd, then it might jump Baque, Norne, Vikt, Rume, Sova, Kere and go all the way to # 1...I was already extremely happy with the first sample /version of Zahd that I told Josh I'm ready to pay and buy it the way it was; it's obvious he wasn't still happy and made whatever changes... I can confidently say that more than 90 percent if not all will be very happy with Zahd.

  42. #162
    Basenotes Plus
    juanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,193

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    I just sprayed my wrist with Zahd off of a sample that a little bird dropped my way. This will be great for the Holidays.

  43. #163

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    I'm hearing that some Zahd teasers may or may not have been sprinkled through the air today!
    Last edited by deadidol; 6th December 2013 at 01:51 AM.

  44. #164
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    15,256
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Eki- is it discontinued?
    I just sampled it and adore it..
    it seems difficult to wear though..

  45. #165

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Eki- is it discontinued?
    I just sampled it and adore it..
    it seems difficult to wear though..
    Yeah, it's gone. Parfum1 had a couple of bottles left, but they're not on the website any more. You might give them a call to see if they happen to have one floating around. I don't think it's hard to wear though -- it's just a bright, white floral.

  46. #166
    Dependent OctaVariuM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Coastal Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,761

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Yeah, it's gone. Parfum1 had a couple of bottles left, but they're not on the website any more. You might give them a call to see if they happen to have one floating around. I don't think it's hard to wear though -- it's just a bright, white floral.
    Check TwistedLily. According to Josh Parfum1 is starting to shift his line over to there. I've seen bottles of Flou over there, which is something I want to get for my mom (She loved it at first sniff).
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

    Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

  47. #167

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    3 bottles came in the mail today--no Zahd samples.

    I'm actually happy about that, because now it will truly be a surprise when it arrives in a few weeks. If I got a sample today, I don't think I could have restrained myself.

    So anyway, with Mare and Ore, I knew what I was getting, but Vikt was a blind buy. This stuff is great. The opening is brutal. Really rough. But after 10 minutes it's fantastic. I definitely look forward to wearing it this winter. The dark incense that emerges with the oud in the base smells incredible, so deep it almost sucks you in. And along the top there's that cool, clean anisic aspect. There's even a little animalic muskiness lurking in the base, providing a great feeling of warmth. I like this a lot.

    Thanks for the Vikt review deadidol, it gave me the impetus to scoop this up during Friday's sale and I don't regret it one bit.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Eki- is it discontinued?
    I just sampled it and adore it..
    it seems difficult to wear though..
    I have an unopened Eki sample if you want it Tony.

  48. #168

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Thanks for the Vikt review deadidol, it gave me the impetus to scoop this up during Friday's sale and I don't regret it one bit.
    Awesome; Glad you like it!

    They're not the easiest scents in the world to describe, so I'm always concerned that I'm going to throw someone off with my descriptions.

  49. #169

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    deadidol / all - any descriptions of Eki? Would love to even blind buy this...

  50. #170

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    About to head out the door. White floral, slightly fruity, Lutens-esque. Very bright.

  51. #171

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Awesome; Glad you like it!

    They're not the easiest scents in the world to describe, so I'm always concerned that I'm going to throw someone off with my descriptions.
    Definitely. They are tough to describe, but once you're kind of familiar with the Slumberhouse aesthetic, reading the reviews is easier. And I think what you said is pretty spot on. I really agree with this part right here:

    It wears incredibly well as it settles into a more incense type scent quite fast, and for much of the ride, it's linear and very consistent. As with several of his other extrait transformations, this is now a little more civilized as far as tenacity goes, although it jumps off the skin more than, say, Norne extrait.

    and this:

    Because of this, the newer version feels slightly more medicinal: a balmy, resinous, camphorous thing, but there's a surprisingly invigorating component to it as well.

    I've never smelled the previous version, but I agree with your descriptors here regarding the newest iteration. It's so hard to put smells into words, but from the general positive tone of your review, along with certain words such as "wearable" and "clarity," and "civilized," I had a feeling it would work.


    The only thing I'd add is that there is this hint of animalic muskiness beneath everything--actually similar (though not nearly as prominent) to the late drydown animalic musk of L'Ombre Fauve--which kind of smells like skin that's been licked and has dried, or a cat's fur a little while after its cleaned itself. It's a sweet "crustiness," very comforting and human. Of course in Vikt, this is combined with the dark incense and the nice little smokiness that accompanies it. What a great dry down!

  52. #172

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    deadidol / all - any descriptions of Eki? Would love to even blind buy this...
    Sorry for the quick reply. I was heading out and thought you might need a quick overview.

    I haven't worn Eki in some time (I have some around here somewhere though), but from I remember it's a fairly straight forward white floral with a little but of musk. I do remember it being very bright and vivid -- kind of like one of the watercolor type Lutens scents -- but honestly, nothing to write home about. I'd be more inclined to keep your eyes peeled for a Kote which was excellent -- clementine over mahogany. It reminded me of a freshly polished musical instrument.

    Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    I've never smelled the previous version, but I agree with your descriptors here regarding the newest iteration. It's so hard to put smells into words, but from the general positive tone of your review, along with certain words such as "wearable" and "clarity," and "civilized," I had a feeling it would work.

    The only thing I'd add is that there is this hint of animalic muskiness beneath everything--actually similar (though not nearly as prominent) to the late drydown animalic musk of L'Ombre Fauve--which kind of smells like skin that's been licked and has dried, or a cat's fur a little while after its cleaned itself. It's a sweet "crustiness," very comforting and human. Of course in Vikt, this is combined with the dark incense and the nice little smokiness that accompanies it. What a great dry down!
    The older version was still very similar, but it had some pungent vegetal / metallic notes that were a bit too loud. This also has a massive amount of sandalwood in it which serves to smooth out some of the harsher edges that were in the original. To compensate, the main accord (fennel, anise etc.) is cranked up a bit higher. I don't get the musk you're talking about, but this has a similar backbone to Ore (musky balsams), but with oud aded to it. I'll try and spot the musk as I love L'Ombre Fauve's sweet musk. (That scent still trips me out to this day.)

    Vikt, to me, is like chewing on raw licorice sticks with some incense burning away in the background. It's very fun scent that's easy to enjoy and doesn't take itself too seriously, but could turn dramatic and melancholy depending on mood.

    I just hope I was able to do justice to Zahd as a lot of people picked that one up. I did hear from a couple of people today who got their hands on some and it sounds like they loved it.

  53. #173

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Hi, deadidol. Didn't see your thread or I would have posted my Slumberhouse sniffs here instead of there: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/372...49#post3009349

    As of yesterday, I'm head over heels with Slumberhouse. Haven't tested Eki, Vikt and Zahd yet. Will read on to see if you tell us how to get samples!

    Off to shop the sale!

  54. #174

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    Hi, deadidol. Didn't see your thread or I would have posted my Slumberhouse sniffs here instead of there: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/372...49#post3009349

    As of yesterday, I'm head over heels with Slumberhouse. Haven't tested Eki, Vikt and Zahd yet. Will read on to see if you tell us how to get samples!

    Off to shop the sale!
    Ha, I was reading your post at the same time you were reading this one! I think this why using the "general" forum is a great option for lines that don't subscribe to gender marketing tactics. There's an even bigger thread that's in the Huddler archive, so this is more of a placeholder which will be merged once the original returns.

  55. #175

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Kote sounds interesting, D.I. - any idea when release is expected please?

  56. #176
    Dependent OctaVariuM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Coastal Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,761

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Kote sounds interesting, D.I. - any idea when release is expected please?
    To my knowledge it was another one of those fragrances that was discontinued. I think you'd have to try and track down a bottle online, but if it is anything like my experience tracking down Esprit de Parfum Ore, it will go for a high price and be very hard to find.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

    Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

  57. #177

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Aah, thanks for the info., OctaVarium - looking forward to future new releases, anyway!

  58. #178

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Have been sampling a few of the current Slumberhouse extraits and here are my thumbnail reviews so far:

    Vikt - deadidol's description is very good; I get the raw licorice opening, it's chewy, slightly earthy, and realistic. Despite Josh's not using top notes and the general linearity of the line, I find that the licorice does submerge a bit and the incense takes over. The incense/oud is incredible, very deep and intoxicating. The first time I wore it, I thought "this is what Black Afgano was trying to do". I like Black Afgano, but even though it smells good to me, I also find it very synthetic-smelling and somewhat hollow, I feel like it is mostly a trick of aromachemicals. I remember Josh saying in an interview that he loves Iso E Super, and I am sure there are aromachemicals in Vikt, but overall it smells very "real" to me, the smell of things that exist in the world. Superb.

    Sova - I was a little apprehensive about this because the comments seemed to be split between "hay, booze, tobacco, animal" (good) and "curry" (I like to eat it but not so much to smell like it). The very high praise for Sova outweighed my apprehensions and I blind-bought it. I am glad I did. My first wearing of Sova was an Aha! moment, something I don't get often these days with perfume. I was immediately amazed by the depth, complexity and uniqueness of this scent. It didn't even really seem to be a perfume in the sense that I am used to experiencing perfume. It seemed to be alive. Sorry for the purple prose, but that's really how I felt.

    One interesting thing about it is that it smells much lighter, sweeter and airier from a slight distance, but if I put my nose into my shirt, I get all the dirt and mouse dung that other reviewers have mentioned.


    Extraordinary.

    Pear and Olive - As several people have said, this seems to be a bit of an outlier from the usual Slumberhouse aesthetic. Here there is no smoke or resin, but an extraordinarily deep and penetrating, slightly powdery fragrance that seems to harken back to an earlier era; it smells more like an old Caron than a modern frag to me, and its "personality" is closest to Piguet's Bandit. That said, although I find this interesting and beautiful in a somewhat cold and standoffish way, it is not for me.

    Jeke - This is the one that seemed most tailored to my tastes, from reading the reviews and descriptions, and it is the first one I tried. The first time I wore it I made the mistake of applying two sprays, and the cade was overwhelming, although I love cade. Even so, by the end of the day I was very favorably impressed. The second time, I sprayed only once and was rewarded by a better balance. This is a real "turn it up to eleven" smoke and leather powerhouse and this may be my favorite of the lot.

    I find one spray is all you need of any of these; more is too much.

    I have yet to try my sample of Norne; I've been busy with the first four, and my general aversion to smelling like pine (see my continued inability to love Yatagan, no matter how many times I try) has also kept me busy with the others.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

  59. #179

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Sova, Jeke & Ore are my favourites of those tried so far.

    It is interesting how Sova affects people so differently - I actually once made a definite attempt to try to detect the excess spices mentioned in Huddlerville and was most relieved to find that they escaped me as it seems only a little spicy on me.

    I remember sampling Norne on the way to grovelling around doing some weeding in a dark, mossy bit of garden under a huge tree and it seemed a very appropriate scent, must re-visit that one!

  60. #180
    Dependent OctaVariuM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Coastal Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,761

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Zatarain, thanks for sharing your comments!

    As everyone who knows me here on Basnotes is aware, Sova is my favorite scent in the line, and a contender for my favorite fragrance period. I find that every time I wear I discover something new, which is what I love so much about Josh's fragrances. I remember when I first wore it, I immediately thought of a few Lutens I'd smelled in wax, and I think I still get some of that. Now though, I am better able to detect the more subtle notes, especially the hops, which do not smell like they do in beer, but moreso like a dried fruity note that I initially thought was raisins for the longest time.

    Jeke is a new pet love of mine as well. When I first tried the Esprit de Parfum, I was a little put off. The stuff was nuclear, and you needed like a half a spray to wear it (at least when I tried it). Now though, with the Extrait, I find it is another one of those constantly evolving scents for me. I just recently bought a bottle, but as far as what I got from my sample: I initially got a ton of smoke and not a whole lot else, but now I get the leather everyone talks about, as well as the unmistakable smell of Birch trees/bark. It is that note, I believe, that sells my heart on this. Whether or not it is mentioned in the notes, that is definitely what I smell.

    Anyway, enough rambling. Nice to see you are enjoying my favorite house!
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

    Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Similar Threads

  1. Slumberhouse Ore
    By OctaVariuM in forum Fragrances Wanted
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15th April 2013, 02:01 AM
  2. Slumberhouse
    By Diogenes65 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 6th March 2013, 07:44 PM
  3. Slumberhouse - Ore
    By rynegne in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 17th February 2013, 09:01 PM
  4. Slumberhouse
    By UngerWoo in forum No longer missing fragrances
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 30th December 2011, 10:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •