Code of Conduct
Page 68 of 68 FirstFirst ... 18 58 66 67 68
Results 2,011 to 2,036 of 2036

Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

This Sixes & Sevens has now officially become the most expensive bottle of perfume I've ever bought, when counting all related costs. Just had to pay another $60 to free it from customs... #firstworldproblems #setbacks #lesigh

On a positive note, that means the package is in the country! And I should get it in a couple of days! No wait, tomorrow's Friday... which means I'll get it on Monday! If it fits in the mailbox... If it doesn't then I'll get a notification on Tuesday! No wait, on Wednesday since we don't get any mail on Tuesdays anymore... Which means I can pick it up next Thursday since our mail arrives so late that the post office has closed... Yay. #dontdothistome #lifeishard
    Slumberhouse addict!
    Currently wearing: Slowdive by Hiram Green

If not now, when?

Quote Originally Posted by LaDomna View Post
    This Sixes & Sevens has now officially become the most expensive bottle of perfume I've ever bought, when counting all related costs. Just had to pay another $60 to free it from customs... #firstworldproblems #setbacks #lesigh

On a positive note, that means the package is in the country! And I should get it in a couple of days! No wait, tomorrow's Friday... which means I'll get it on Monday! If it fits in the mailbox... If it doesn't then I'll get a notification on Tuesday! No wait, on Wednesday since we don't get any mail on Tuesdays anymore... Which means I can pick it up next Thursday since our mail arrives so late that the post office has closed... Yay. #dontdothistome #lifeishard
    Lmao
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Oh man... $60! I take it Josh declared full value on it? Would've been nice if he just wrote "gift." It's not like there's something inside commercially shrink wrapped and there's no receipt to indicate value either.

Unfortunately, the box won't fit in mail slot, despite the slender bottle. He really could have sent it in a small flat rate USPS box.
    Currently wearing: Gomma by Etro

Trying a decant, I have to say I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger on a full bottle of Sixes and Sevens. It's well-done, but my expectations of what this house is all about (due to it being my friend, Octavarium's favorite house) did not line up at all with this particular creation. Everything blends well together and the frag seems to have a reasonable evolution, but nothing is particularly... exciting to me like others from him.

I think part of this experience for me lies in how this frag was billed compared to the performance I get out of it. It was called, and I quote, a "dark, animalic leather fragrance." I don't think it truly is any of those things: it's not particularly dark; the animalics are lighter musk to my nose, and ... leather, really? Maybe suede, but nothing about this strikes me as a leather fragrance.

I simply don't know what Josh was trying to go for with this one, whereas the others I've tried (never on-skin, sadly) from him seemed to immediately have a personality.

That said, one very enjoyable part of this frag for me is this almost olive oil note. It reminds me of my father making pasta cece (chickpeas) in oil and dried rosemary. I am thankful to Slumberhouse for that precious memory experience.

Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    Oh man... $60! I take it Josh declared full value on it? Would've been nice if he just wrote "gift." It's not like there's something inside commercially shrink wrapped and there's no receipt to indicate value either.

Unfortunately, the box won't fit in mail slot, despite the slender bottle. He really could have sent it in a small flat rate USPS box.
    He is usually pretty good at downplaying the value. I think $50 is what he usually writes, or something like that, and he usually marks it as a gift. Anything commercial with a value over about $25 is subject to taxes though, and any gift worth more than about $45. Some Slumberhouse packages slip through, some don't... Once caught it doesn't really matter what it says on the customs form. I'm required to enclose a copy of the order confirmation or receipt when I send customs the content info and they charge me according to what's on that receipt.

I have a mail box though, not a mail slot, and most smaller packages fit in there. So there is still hope!
    Slumberhouse addict!

If not now, when?

Quote Originally Posted by SubUmbra View Post
    ...I think part of this experience for me lies in how this frag was billed compared to the performance I get out of it. It was called, and I quote, a "dark, animalic leather fragrance." I don't think it truly is any of those things: it's not particularly dark; the animalics are lighter musk to my nose, and ... leather, really? Maybe suede, but nothing about this strikes me as a leather fragrance...
    I see what you mean.

I like the animalic qualities it has though. But I am not really a leather fan, per se...so maybe that's why I am more thrilled with my first wearing. And I love the spices.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

He is usually pretty good at downplaying the value. I think $50 is what he usually writes, or something like that, and he usually marks it as a gift. Anything commercial with a value over about $25 is subject to taxes though, and any gift worth more than about $45. Some Slumberhouse packages slip through, some don't... Once caught it doesn't really matter what it says on the customs form. I'm required to enclose a copy of the order confirmation or receipt when I send customs the content info and they charge me according to what's on that receipt.

I have a mail box though, not a mail slot, and most smaller packages fit in there. So there is still hope!
    Couldn't you modify the recipt on the computer using Microsoft word to say the value is 50$? Or under 25$ to avoid additional charges

Quote Originally Posted by qari2k10 View Post
    Couldn't you modify the recipt on the computer using Microsoft word to say the value is 50$? Or under 25$ to avoid additional charges
    I don't think I have the skills to make it flawless enough.
    Slumberhouse addict!

Basenotes Plus

Trying a decant, I have to say I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger on a full bottle of Sixes and Sevens. It's well-done, but my expectations of what this house is all about (due to it being my friend, Octavarium's favorite house) did not line up at all with this particular creation. Everything blends well together and the frag seems to have a reasonable evolution, but nothing is particularly... exciting to me like others from him.

I think part of this experience for me lies in how this frag was billed compared to the performance I get out of it. It was called, and I quote, a "dark, animalic leather fragrance." I don't think it truly is any of those things: it's not particularly dark; the animalics are lighter musk to my nose, and ... leather, really? Maybe suede, but nothing about this strikes me as a leather fragrance.

I simply don't know what Josh was trying to go for with this one, whereas the others I've tried (never on-skin, sadly) from him seemed to immediately have a personality.

That said, one very enjoyable part of this frag for me is this almost olive oil note. It reminds me of my father making pasta cece (chickpeas) in oil and dried rosemary. I am thankful to Slumberhouse for that precious memory experience.
    Yes, this was similar to my experience. I had read quite a bit about its musky, leatheriness and its animalic nature. In reality, it is a spicy, cumin-filled woody that reminds me primarily of a rather sharp, "buzzy" cedar.
    Currently wearing: Mitsouko by Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

I'm surprised more aren't commenting on the castoreum in S&S. For me, the castoreum and leather are featured a lot more than the cumin once it settles down a bit...
    Currently wearing: Opus VI by Amouage

I don't get castoreum or leather at any point during the wear. The musks were rather subtle this time around, although I found deer musk to be quite pronounced when I tried 6/7s from my dab vial sample a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Oud Dude View Post
    I'm surprised more aren't commenting on the castoreum in S&S. For me, the castoreum and leather are featured a lot more than the cumin once it settles down a bit...

I'm trying my decant for the first time today. I too find the cumin is the most prominent element, with a woody backbone and musk lurking around at the periphery. Somehow I was briefly reminded of Arabie during the opening.
    Currently wearing: Bonheur by Bortnikoff

Wish I was getting some of the woodiness some of you are smelling!

Quote Originally Posted by StellaDiverFlynn View Post
    I'm trying my decant for the first time today. I too find the cumin is the most prominent element, with a woody backbone and musk lurking around at the periphery. Somehow I was briefly reminded of Arabie during the opening.
    You mean Serge Lutens Arabie? Because that one is rather gourmand, especially on the honey note. I'm not getting much in the way of sweetness from 6's & 7's.

It's sitting in my mailbox, and my nose is starting ache thinking about it...
    Off-Basenotes Decant Sales!

"It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Ok, I've been wearing a light wrist application of Sixes & Sevens for awhile, and here's my hot take. Warning: stream of consciousness ahead...

First sniff: This smells really familiar. Like intimately familiar. I give it a few, thinking it'll pass. Still like smelling something from my collection, but what? I have my wife smell it, telling her it's a new arrival - no further context. She says, "I feel like I've smelled this before".

I stew on it, and it hits me! L'Artisan Al Oudh. Granted, S&S is richer and the materials are on another level entirely, but the profile of animalic-warm cumin/spice meets a dry leathery-cedarwood base is pretty unmistakable...though AO stays more on the oriental side as it develops. Note: there's only a little oud in Al Oudh, and it’s a light and dry rendition here, presented in a larger woody/leather context. It is indeed very woody overall.

The opening salvo is buttery rich, and intensely satisfying to me (Puredistance M's richly smooth cumin spice opening is another reference I get here)...the spices just melt into a castoreum/musk combo that's somehow "crunchy" and smooth at the same time. It has a good chew to it. I get heat and aridness that grows with time. Toasted. The dry cedar/sandal/oud evolution is just heaven for me, and fits with the rather butch castoreum-based leather perfectly. I actually don't find it all that musky per se...definitely more dry animalic leather, not dark or heavy though. It starts reminding me of the woody-leather base of Leather Oud at this point, since I’m doing references.

There are hints of a lot of other good scents here...it’s a crowded category, but one I like (hence the immediate familiarity and, honestly, affinity), extending all the way to my love of Yatagan, a very remote castoreum-leather-wood cousin. But it’s true there’s not one “thing” that clearly sets it far afield as with many others in the line. Not necessarily a bad thing.

And yes, agree that it's different from most other Slumberhouses structurally, not just in its immediate familiarity. They smell nothing alike, but New Sibet is the one I feel is closest in personality and architecture. I'll have to think more about why I feel that way.

Short story, so far I'm loving Sixes & Sevens - a wonderful take on a genre I like very much. Also, I love cumin.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 19th October 2018 at 10:40 PM. Reason: various clarifications and elaborations

"It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    LiveJazz, ya I would say New Sibet or Lanz both seem to share a similar aesthetic to Sixes & Sevens.
    I guess it’s the arid leather and spice. Here it’s with wood, New Sibet with iris. Both feel relatively “composed” too.

You mean Serge Lutens Arabie? Because that one is rather gourmand, especially on the honey note. I'm not getting much in the way of sweetness from 6's & 7's.
    Yes, I meant Serge Lutens Arabie. I agree that Arabie is much more gourmand than Sixes & Sevens. It's just that the cumin, the woody notes reminiscent of cedar, and the musky leathery sweetness reminiscent of a more abstract dried fruits' effect in Sixes & Sevens strike me as a similar construction as the cumin-dried fruits-cedar in Arabie, albeit drenched in honey and the notes being more vivid and sharper in this Serge Lutens offering. However, after reading LiveJazz's comment, I think L'Artisan Al Oudh is indeed much more appropriate to compare with, especially since Sixes & Sevens is more mellow and musky.

I also agree that Sixes & Sevens feels closer to New Sibet in composing style than other previous offerings.

If not now, when?

It's been ages since I smelled Al Oudh. Interesting...

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by StellaDiverFlynn View Post
    Yes, I meant Serge Lutens Arabie. I agree that Arabie is much more gourmand than Sixes & Sevens. It's just that the cumin, the woody notes reminiscent of cedar, and the musky leathery sweetness reminiscent of a more abstract dried fruits' effect in Sixes & Sevens strike me as a similar construction as the cumin-dried fruits-cedar in Arabie, albeit drenched in honey and the notes being more vivid and sharper in this Serge Lutens offering. However, after reading LiveJazz's comment, I think L'Artisan Al Oudh is indeed much more appropriate to compare with, especially since Sixes & Sevens is more mellow and musky.

I also agree that Sixes & Sevens feels closer to New Sibet in composing style than other previous offerings.
    I have L'Artisan Al Oudh... and didn't get on with it much. So I had just a couple of wearings then boxed it up. Going by olfactory memory, I can see the similarity. But I find 6's and 7's to be more "natural." I got a synthetic oud vibe from Al Oudh.

I have L'Artisan Al Oudh... and didn't get on with it much. So I had just a couple of wearings then boxed it up. Going by olfactory memory, I can see the similarity. But I find 6's & 7's to be more "natural." I got a synthetic oud vibe from Al Oudh.
    That's 100% true. I don't dislike Al Oudh, but it's flawed for sure. It's like S&S is everything I wanted Al Oudh to be when I blind bought it.

Honestly I don't want the focus to be specifically on Al Oudh w/r/t my review. That was the first and strongest reference I got, but after sleeping on it, S&S is more of an amalgam of a lot of things in that general territory, done really well.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    That's 100% true. I don't dislike Al Oudh, but it's flawed for sure. It's like S&S is everything I wanted Al Oudh to be when I blind bought it.

Honestly I don't want the focus to be specifically on Al Oudh w/r/t my review. That was the first and strongest reference I got, but after sleeping on it, S&S is more of an amalgam of a lot of things in that general territory, done really well.
    I hear you, and also agree Al Oudh is actually a likable scent. For me, just had a bit of sensitivity to some aromachemical in it. Love the presentation too. L'Artisan uses these pretty cool gold tone metal hexagonal caps.

I have L'Artisan Al Oudh... and didn't get on with it much. So I had just a couple of wearings then boxed it up. Going by olfactory memory, I can see the similarity. But I find 6's & 7's to be more "natural." I got a synthetic oud vibe from Al Oudh.
    I agree Sixes & Sevens feels more "natural". To me, the similarity between them is like they share a certain pattern in smell, but not exactly the same texture or fabric.

Thank you for expressing my thoughts better than I could myself.

If not now, when?

I'm wearing it again tonight.

Perhaps because I had such a knock-em-dead fragrance this morning (Dev One by Olympic Orchids), Sixes & Sevens is so smooth and seamless and in-the-background humming along doing its thing.

I feel this way about Grev, which I enjoy when I am in the mood for something inventively soft and minimal.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Page 68 of 68 FirstFirst ... 18 58 66 67 68